PDA

View Full Version : Which team under more pressure tonight?

DixieZag
03-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Gonzaga - The Streak, playing a better team, one with which we split games (BYU), what some consider a disappointing year with expectations, injuries which could either increase pressure or decrease to play fast loose, WCC refs and short bench, needs to win to get to the tournament and the tournament is expected this and every year. Played very well in first game.

SMC - A year they suddenly might expect the tournament, playing a team that swept them, having a great year given expectations, a year in which they finally swept Gonzaga, needs to win to get in the tournament. Did not play very well in first game.

I think SMC has more pressure. The injury to Edwards might well have freed up the Zags for an even bigger "Us against the world" attitude, finally sort of an underdog.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2016, 01:52 PM
I think the Zags stand a (slim) chance of an at-large if they lose today. If SMC loses I think that's it. However, either SMC or GU needs to win the whole thing for the other to get a nod. Still works out best for everyone if GU and SMC play in the final.

sittingon50
03-07-2016, 01:55 PM
That 17 yr. NCAA streak is a huge burden, Dix.

TheZagPhish
03-07-2016, 01:55 PM
I feel that we're under more pressure. Just too much on the line, and the expectations all around are still sky high.

I was considering another, related question -- which of the three teams is best equipped to respond to their respective cocktail of pressures? On that question I also take the Zags.

gonzagafan62
03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Gonzaga. No doubt about it. They are expected to win and it's Gonzaga. BYU has never won any type of conference championship in the WCC before. I think they are under a lot of pressure too. It's interesting to see what happens.

Saint Mary's on the other hand has a lot of pressure too, but lots of new faces. If anyone is under pressure it's Bennett. I think the Gaels play loose tonight

FuManShoes
03-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Think it's gotta be the Zags feeling the most pressure, and facing the most question marks. The Streak has become legend - it's the reason Gonzaga is a global brand and why HBO is following the Zags around and not Wichita St. No one in that locker room wants to see it end on their watch, especially the seniors. That can either work for or against them. They can either channel that anxiety and hunger into a big game full of intensity, or let it weigh them down and come out tentative. Unfortunately, the bigs - namely Sabonis - can't afford to be too intense because Edwards likely won't be available. You know BYU is going to go at Sabonis and he'll have to be extra careful not to get called for some dumb/phantom fouls. Hard to imagine but it's going to be even more of a struggle for him to stay on the floor. Wiltjer better bring a hard hat and be ready to board.

HenneZag
03-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Definitely more pressure on the ZAGS. I just hope mentally they don't let it get to them too much. Just go out and execute, play hard and smart for 40 mins, play inspired. My Blood Pressure is already up waiting for this game! Gotta leave it all out there tonight!

Zagceo
03-07-2016, 02:39 PM
I'd give up the streak for FF next year in a heartbeat. Streaks gonna end FF may never come. Just my own selfish opinion.

Zag_Dad
03-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Definitely more pressure on Zags. SMC is playing on house money at this point. They were expected to finish 4th in the league. Most fans on their message board think it's all gravy from here since their young squad will be back for bigger and greater things. That doesn't mean they don't want the WCC tournament title, just that there is less pressure on them.

gonstu
03-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Way more on the zags. 17 years is a lot of weight to carry. I hope they win. Selfishly, I'm not ready for this season to end.

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Honestly, I think there's plenty of pressure on SMC, BYU and Gonzaga. All 3 want to go Dancing, while one might have a better shot at an at-large than the others, it's not a sure thing. Better win in Vegas if you don't want to be sweating out Selection Sunday. BYU doesn't have a streak like GU but they rarely miss the Tourney. SMC is hit and miss, this was a good season for them, I'm sure they don't want to leave it to chance and get stuck with the NIT as a consolation prize.

CDC84
03-07-2016, 04:20 PM
What's strange about SMC tonight is their opponent: Pepperdine beat them in both matchups. It is extremely hard to beat a good team three times in the same season. But SMC also has the mental hurdle of beating a team that seems to have their number for some odd reason.

kitzbuel
03-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Gonzaga. No doubt about it. They are expected to win and it's Gonzaga. BYU has never won any type of conference championship in the WCC before. I think they are under a lot of pressure too. It's interesting to see what happens.

Saint Mary's on the other hand has a lot of pressure too, but lots of new faces. If anyone is under pressure it's Bennett. I think the Gaels play loose tonight

The pressure for BYU is immense. They have made the tourney 11 times in the last 14 years and 8 of the last 9. That is impressive. They know the only way to keep that type of performance up is to win tonight.

UberZagFan
03-07-2016, 05:26 PM
The pressure is on Uber to make it to the arena before the game starts.

CdAZagFan
03-07-2016, 05:32 PM
I'm a little worried about a close game down the stretch and how this GU team will respond (with an incredible amount of pressure on them at this point). Would be great if A) it's not that close (in GU's favor), or B) it is close and the guys respond great and pull out a win.

NotoriousZ
03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Should be about the same amount of pressure for both GU and SMC, this is a must win for both teams.

But BYU is under the most pressure...they have to play us! On the flip side, Pepperdine is playing with house money and they match up well with SMC.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Should be about the same amount of pressure for both GU and SMC, this is a must win for both teams.

But BYU is under the most pressure...they have to play us! On the flip side, Pepperdine is playing with house money and they match up well with SMC.

If Pepperdine had decided to show up. Think they sent the JV team

ZagaZags
03-07-2016, 07:25 PM
100% Gonzaga. Will this be the team that drops the torch? It has to happen sometime. Will this be the year?