PDA

View Full Version : I gotta say, I like Seth Davis even more

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Saturday, 6 p.m.

No. 8 Memphis (22-3) at Gonzaga (18-9)
As I pointed out in my column in SI last week, Memphis is romping through Conference USA, winning all its games by an average of 16.1 points. This was supposed to be a rubber-hits-the-road game, but the Zags aren't at full strength because of the suspension of second-leading scorer Josh Heytvelt. Memphis is a very talented team that could improve its reputation and bolster its seed by winning in Spokane. But after seeing its 50-game home win streak broken by Santa Clara on Monday night, Gonzaga is now fighting for its NCAA tournament life. You all know how much I love to go with desperate teams playing at home. I also think the five extra days of practice will help Gonzaga compensate for having to play without Heytvelt.
Gonzaga 84, Memphis 80

TheZagPhish
02-16-2007, 11:52 PM
To my own surprise I'm optimistic. Against Memphis I think we'll see the new character of this team, and I think the Zags will play with a different, balanced energy. We simply need this one more than Memphis.

I don't know... Maybe it was the blue skies and warm winds today.

http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.nsf/James-Brown-photo/B0F52D43AE8990F548257070002C0AD8/$file/James+Brown.jpg

I feel good!

ZagMania
02-17-2007, 07:59 AM
For whatever its worth.. on espn college gameday, Hubert Davis just picked us to win, but Digger said he was jumping off the bandwagon and went with Memphis. Jay Bilas went with Memphis as well.

wazZag
02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
GU has always pulled out surprises when well rested, which probably has more to do with coaching and practice than, well, resting. They have to be fired up, Memphis had to travel a long ways to get here, and are probably less intense than they would be if they knew they were facing the zags with JH. There are alot of x-factors in this game (Raivio getting shots, the eventual Downs breakout game, Pargo, etc.) so I'm not feeling as confident that the zags will get run out of the gym as I was a week ago. They'll play hard, they'll fight to the end and hopefully learn something from it regardless of the outcome.

thickman1
02-17-2007, 08:17 AM
If this was on campus I'd feel great about the game. Knowing how the team shoots from time to time in the Arena I'm a bit aprehensive but excited nonetheless. I'm loving the fact I get to root for GU as an underdog.

thickman1
02-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Also, a win here will do wonders for folks writing us off. This game runs right into College Gameday and there will be many folks tuning in to that. A strong GU win will really show well around the country. Go Zags!

wazZag
02-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Raivio especially struggles at the Arena. Lets hope they opened it up for him a few days ago to work out the kinks.

Zaghuatanejo
02-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Raivio especially struggles at the Arena. Lets hope they opened it up for him a few days ago to work out the kinks.

Agreed, although it seems it's not just Raivio. Must be the depth perception. The team is due for a hot night, especially in the Arena. Zags win by 6!!!!

VinnyZag
02-17-2007, 09:52 AM
To my own surprise I'm optimistic. [/B]

I was optimistic about Santa Clara, too. And LMU. And St. Mary's. And ...

TheZagPhish
02-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I was optimistic about Santa Clara, too. And LMU. And St. Mary's. And ...

Inexplicable, I know. That's what endless devotion is all about I suppose.

Reminds me of that Visa or Mastercard commercial where the hometown fan sees accidents and mishaps all over his town, and all he can do is to keep shouting encouragement to the victims. To paraphrase that guy:

Rub some dirt on it, Zags!

lothar98zag
02-17-2007, 11:58 AM

DR @ the SA

This year:
Game FG 3FG FT
Rice 3-11 0-4 0-1
Baylor 4-11 0-5 10-10

Last year:
EWU 1-7 1-6 2-2

2 yrs ago:
EWU 2-4 0-2 2-2

FR yr (not very may minutes):
Georgia 0-1 0-1 0-0
EWU 1-2 1-2 0-0

I hope he's better today....

sanfranzagsguy20
02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
zagphish..the guy you are thinking of in that commerical was peyton manning...do you like football? because if you do you should be ashamed that was one of the most overplayed commericals in history...but hey your right they need to rub some dirt on it and play with what they've got...and what they've got is a talented young team that can play with anybody in the country...but what they cant do is get down big early (i.e. santa clara) because this team simply cannot play catchup...

they have to make memphis play their type of game..keep it close..hope they dont choke at the free throw line again and try and put it away in the final 5 minutes..thats how i see the zags winning today...although i would take a blowout (i.e. texas) just the same...

hey they're not at k2 but they're just down the road and they have an advantage with the overall perception that they are disadvantaged and if they can jump on memphis early that could be a huge difference...it just cant happen the other way or the zags are doomed...if they couldnt quite catch up to santa clara they wont catch up to memphis...

TheZagPhish
02-17-2007, 12:19 PM
zagphish..the guy you are thinking of in that commerical was peyton manning...do you like football? because if you do you should be ashamed that was one of the most overplayed commericals in history...

Football... Hmm... That's with the oblong ball, right? ;) Honestly, the TV really doesn't come on at my place unless there's a Zags game on. Still, I'm a little embarrassed. (Shakes head at self) I do have some awareness, peripheral and thin as it is, of the world outside GU basketball. Doh!