Once and Future Zag
03-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Domatis Sabonis vs Ben Simmons

Discuss.

jazzdelmar
03-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Discuss.

Simmons wins 8 of 10. Far more talented offensive player. Sabonis strongest skills a no never mind in a one on one game.

mgadfly
03-03-2016, 06:41 AM

Discuss.

Cage match or basketball?

Basketball? Sabonis shooting keeps him in it but Simmons superior ball handling and ability to create lets him win seven out of ten.

raise the zag
03-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Simmons 9 of 10.

He's a once-a-decade type of individual talent and attributes.

A poor-mans Magic Johnson & Anthony Davis in one.

Although, Sabonis will out-fight him for rebounds, that's for certain.

Simmons has too much length, skill, and athleticism for Sabonis to realistically defend.

Simmons will be an all-world all-star by his 2nd year in the league.

Vanzagger
03-03-2016, 07:00 AM
I think they will go 1 & 2 in the draft. Have thought that since November.

cggonzaga
03-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Simmons is a once in a generation type player that can't help a talented squad make the NCAA tournament. Simmons is a poor man's Lebron James. His offense is good not great at this time. His game revolves around making those around him better. He doesn't have Sabonis' heart or post game. I'd take Sabonis the majority of the time in a one on one setting.

3XaZag
03-03-2016, 07:29 AM
I would give Simmons 7 out of 10....but Simmons will be a much better player after the series for the beating and toughening up that he would experience from playing Sabonis.

Sabonis should then send him an invoice for the benefit he would get form the experience.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Simmons 9 of 10.

He's a once-a-decade type of individual talent and attributes.

A poor-mans Magic Johnson & Anthony Davis in one.

Although, Sabonis will out-fight him for rebounds, that's for certain.

Simmons has too much length, skill, and athleticism for Sabonis to realistically defend.

Simmons will be an all-world all-star by his 2nd year in the league.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. While I agree that he'd dominate offensively against Sabonis and likely win 9 out of 10, he is NOT in any way shape or form the talent he is hyped up to be. Not even close. He isn't Magic... not even close. He isn't Anthony Davis, or LeBron, or MJ, or whomever else. He is a talented player... but nothing I have seen from watching him plays screams incredible, off the charts, talent. Magic never had a great supporting cast (Kelser and Vincent played as journeyman in the NBA) but he elevated that team. Bird... he had nothing around him. If he was to live up to the hype around him... we'd not be talking about whether LSU makes the tourney. Frosh or not, he should have been leading them to the dance.

ProjectMKUltra5
03-03-2016, 07:41 AM
You guys are trippin. Simmons best attributes are a moot point when your talking a half court game of one on one. It's not like he can take it coast to coast off a rebound like he always does, or use that vision to distribute to his teammates. He'd essentially be trapped in a box with Domas in a setting that isn't as conducive to his skills as it could be while Sabonis is right at home in the solo half court game.

Plus, there's no fouls in one on one. Sabonis would maul him like a baby gazelle

ProjectMKUltra5
03-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. While I agree that he'd dominate offensively against Sabonis and likely win 9 out of 10, he is NOT in any way shape or form the talent he is hyped up to be. Not even close. He isn't Magic... not even close. He isn't Anthony Davis, or LeBron, or MJ, or whomever else. He is a talented player... but nothing I have seen from watching him plays screams incredible, off the charts, talent. Magic never had a great supporting cast (Kelser and Vincent played as journeyman in the NBA) but he elevated that team. Bird... he had nothing around him. If he was to live up to the hype around him... we'd not be talking about whether LSU makes the tourney. Frosh or not, he should have been leading them to the dance.

Honestly, he reminds me of Lamar Odom minus all the extracurricular activities. Not a world beater but still highly skilled.

mgadfly
03-03-2016, 09:58 AM
You guys are trippin. Simmons best attributes are a moot point when your talking a half court game of one on one. It's not like he can take it coast to coast off a rebound like he always does, or use that vision to distribute to his teammates. He'd essentially be trapped in a box with Domas in a setting that isn't as conducive to his skills as it could be while Sabonis is right at home in the solo half court game.

Plus, there's no fouls in one on one. Sabonis would maul him like a baby gazelle

This is basically why I think the much better basketball player (Simmons) would only win 7 out of 10. Unfortunately, Sabonis' offensive game involves a lot of work while the ball is in somebody else's hands, and in 1 on 1 he'd have to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

A lot of Simmons' strengths would be neutralized, but I'm just not confident Sabonis can put the ball on the deck against him and get to the rim consistently.

Mr Vulture
03-03-2016, 11:10 AM
You've lost your mind if you are being serious!! The highest Domas has been projected by any major site is 20th.... :roll:

cggonzaga
03-03-2016, 11:32 AM
This is basically why I think the much better basketball player (Simmons) would only win 7 out of 10. Unfortunately, Sabonis' offensive game involves a lot of work while the ball is in somebody else's hands, and in 1 on 1 he'd have to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

A lot of Simmons' strengths would be neutralized, but I'm just not confident Sabonis can put the ball on the deck against him and get to the rim consistently.

Sabonis would simply back him down. Doesn't need to take him off the dribble. Physically Sabonis would dominate.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2016, 11:42 AM

Umm... no.

gonzagafan62
03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Sabonis 6 of 10. Simmons isn't that good, he's not clutch, he's not a leader. He has no emotion, and he doesn't have "IT" Sabonis would trash him in a couple of those games.

Bogozags
03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Sabonis, in a game of 21, shooting only 3fts at a time would win the first game. If the loser was given the ball after each game, then Sabonis would probably win every other game as long as both made all their free throws.

One more thing...Sabonis will be a top ten pick in the 2017 draft.

mgadfly
03-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Sabonis would simply back him down. Doesn't need to take him off the dribble. Physically Sabonis would dominate.

Isn't it traveling if you don't dribble the ball? I'm a post player and there are a lot of guys that can't guard me in a regular game of basketball because I can work into position without having to dribble it. But when we play one on one, even if I'm backing them down, there is no way to avoid putting the ball on the floor. And I'm not saying Sabonis can't dribble, I'm just saying getting post position without the ball in your hands is way different than getting it with the ball.

I guess the other way to say it is that I work my rear off trying to keep the other team's post player from catching it within five or six feet of the hoop. For the most part, I've won if they have to start 20+ feet from the basket like you do in 1 on 1.

cggonzaga
03-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Perhaps you're being sarcastic but no I wasn't suggesting he'd not dribble the ball. Domantis is actually a decent ballhandler for a big man. He could easily back in Simmons, with a dribble, and then go to work. He would abuse Simmons with his ball fakes.

rennis
03-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I actually wish we could get someone like Simmons to do 1-on-1 drills with Domas. He would benefit a lot from that.

eastsideballer
03-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Check top. Thats the downfall of Sabonis in this scenario. Taking the ball out at the top of the key is in favor of Simmons.

cggonzaga
03-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Why? Defensively, Sabonis would make Simmons shoot jumpers which Simmons isn't great at. Offensively Sabonis will just take him to the block and pound on him or use his superior footwork to score.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-04-2016, 05:19 AM
Simmons wins 8 of 10. Far more talented offensive player. Sabonis strongest skills a no never mind in a one on one game.

Simmons can't shoot. In a game of 1 on 1 Simmons would have no one to pass to or get passes from, eliminating his entire game.

Not an accident that Sabonis single-handedly beat Tennessee WITH Punter, and Simmons got completely embarrassed by Tennessee WITHOUT Punter.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Check top. Thats the downfall of Sabonis in this scenario. Taking the ball out at the top of the key is in favor of Simmons.

How? When on defense, Sabonis could just go stand 4 feet from the hoop and wait. How would Simmons score? Domas could make that shot from the top of the key if given room.