PDA

View Full Version : Mussberger and Vitale doing WCC semis and final

Tmac5360
03-01-2016, 07:23 AM
I found this on Twitter. If you read down to the WCC, Roxy and Brad are doing the quarter final games and then Vitale and Mussberger the semis. Add Fran for the final. I am not a huge Vitale fan but I like Brent and Fran. I hope this link works. It's about 1/2 way down.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/03/mens-championship-week-20-conference-champions-punch-their-ticket-to-ncaa-tournament/

ChicagoZag
03-01-2016, 07:34 AM
I've been doing my darndest to stick to my every other year attendance at the tournament. This being the year I stay home.

I may have to fly in now just to avoid having to listen to Brent and Dick.

Vitale has always been nails on a chalkboard for me. Worse than Billy Packer even.

Brent used to be okay but just seems to have lost a lot in the last few years. Last night I was watching the end of the Kansas/Texas game and he was fumbling all over himself obsessed with the over/under. Granted it was the end of a game that had been a blowout for 38 minutes, but still it was awkward and unpleasant.

TexasZagFan
03-01-2016, 07:52 AM
I've been doing my darndest to stick to my every other year attendance at the tournament. This being the year I stay home.

I may have to fly in now just to avoid having to listen to Brent and Dick.

Vitale has always been nails on a chalkboard for me. Worse than Billy Packer even.

Brent used to be okay but just seems to have lost a lot in the last few years. Last night I was watching the end of the Kansas/Texas game and he was fumbling all over himself obsessed with the over/under. Granted it was the end of a game that had been a blowout for 38 minutes, but still it was awkward and unpleasant.

Brent and Dick are both 76...amazing. OTOH, Frankie Valli turns 82 in two months, and he tours roughly 8 months out of the year.

CdAZagFan
03-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Wow - big time announcers. Would be great to see the Zags win the tourney - beating Portland, BYU and SMC along the way and showing Vitale and Musberger their stuff!

ProjectMKUltra5
03-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Love Mussberger, especially when he does college football. Dickie V is alright, his voice can get annoying but I dig his exuberance and joy for the game.

I'm just glad it's not Heister/Mowins/Daugherty or any of the other inept announcers we seem to get stuck with.

gonstu
03-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Wow - like them or not that sounds like one of the "A-team" announcing squads from ESPN. Don't recall that happening in the past. WCC getting some love? Saturday (and then Monday) can't come soon enough - GO ZAGS!

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Dukie V? Ugh. This guy is a characature of himself. My ears bleed when he talks. He makes Heister sound like a preeminent orator.

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Love Mussberger, especially when he does college football. Dickie V is alright, his voice can get annoying but I dig his exuberance and joy for the game.

I'm just glad it's not Heister/Mowins/Daugherty or any of the other inept announcers we seem to get stuck with.
It's all an act. I was at MSG years ago sitting behind him and before the game he was just sitting there, calm and normal. As soon as the red light of the camera came on, he went into clown mode.

ProjectMKUltra5
03-01-2016, 08:58 AM
It's all an act. I was at MSG years ago sitting behind him and before the game he was just sitting there, calm and normal. As soon as the red light of the camera came on, he went into clown mode.

Well that's disappointing

Zags11
03-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Well that's disappointing

Most are acts like most comedians. I enjoy dickie as he is excitable. I just enjoy announcers lol

Reborn
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I am very excited. This is the A team, and it's a huge honor to have them announcing the WCC Tournament. I'm so tired of the two we've had this year. Thank God for the break. I'm also anxious to hear what they have to say about our team.

Go Zags!!!

ProVeeZag
03-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Brent and Dick are both 76...amazing. OTOH, Frankie Valli turns 82 in two months, and he tours roughly 8 months out of the year.

Love Frankie, but does he know the diff between a block and a charge? It's ok if he doesn't, many refs have trouble making the distinction also! :D

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 09:59 AM
I hope we get to hear Brent & Dick call two games involving the Zags

TexasZagFan
03-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Love Frankie, but does he know the diff between a block and a charge? It's ok if he doesn't, many refs have trouble making the distinction also! :D

I don't know, however I learned he keeps his political views to himself, a la Michael Jordan: Republicans and Democrats buy records and attend concerts.

Kiddwell
03-01-2016, 12:02 PM
They put the heavy hitters in because of the ESPN series on the Zags?

:]

gonstu
03-01-2016, 12:25 PM
They put the heavy hitters in because of the ESPN series on the Zags?

You mean the HBO series? I was wondering that too.

CDC84
03-01-2016, 12:59 PM
This is truly bizarre. The WCC normally gets the bottom of the barrel. Also, Vitale normally just does one half of a double header due to his voice problems.

I'd take Fran as a color analyst any day. He's the best that ESPN has. He'll probably be a sideline reporter for the final.

Kiddwell
03-01-2016, 01:51 PM
You mean the HBO series? I was wondering that too.

HBO, yeah, thanks.

rennis
03-01-2016, 02:35 PM
This is truly bizarre. The WCC normally gets the bottom of the barrel. Also, Vitale normally just does one half of a double header due to his voice problems.

I'd take Fran as a color analyst any day. He's the best that ESPN has. He'll probably be a sideline reporter for the final.

All of this. I'll take these guys any time. Fran is one of the best and Dicky V is always fun in small doses.

Vitale LOVES Sabonis, so get ready to think Domas is wearing a Duke jersey Monday night...

zagsfanforlife
03-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Of course Brent is going to Vegas. This way he can bet on the games! Never in the history of sports announcing have i ever heard anyone mention the spreads more than Brent Musberger. He always knows the exact lines to each of the games he calls.. odd....hmm...

rawkmandale
03-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I loved having Brent do the game!

RenoZag
03-07-2016, 10:05 PM
I hope Dickie V stuck around to watch that game. . .he'll have endless adjectives and superlatives for Domas

ZagsGoZags
03-07-2016, 10:13 PM
every announcer mentioned in this thread is, to me, an 8,9 or 10 on a ten point scale,
whereas I put Heister at a 3
I just love listening and watching BU basketball TV when blowhard Heister is somewhere else

jpn17
03-07-2016, 10:16 PM
I really enjoyed listening to Musberger and Fraschilla call the game tonight. A nice step up from what we usually get.

rawkmandale
03-07-2016, 10:16 PM
every announcer mentioned in this thread is, to me, an 8,9 or 10 on a ten point scale,
whereas I put Heister at a 3
I just love listening and watching BU basketball TV when blowhard Heister is somewhere else

True about the games, but Heister is REALLY GOOD on the Mark Few show - nice guy, and great interviewer, who is not the best play-by-play guy

ZagNative
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
That was enjoyable coverage, first time in a llong time I didn't mute the TV and listen to Huddy-Santangelo.

jpn17
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
True about the games, but Heister is REALLY GOOD on the Mark Few show - nice guy, and great interviewer, who is not the best play-by-play guy

Heister is fine when he calls the game, that just doesn't happen very often.

kitzbuel
03-07-2016, 10:19 PM
We were laughing about Musburger mixing up Perkins and EMac in the game thread. It was refreshing to hear Musburger marvel at the innovative rules interpretation performed by the refs.

TheZagPhish
03-07-2016, 10:23 PM
That was enjoyable coverage...

Excellent tonight.

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 10:46 PM
I like both Musberger and Freschilla, but there wasn't a whole lot of play-by-play announcing going on. I'll cut Musberger some slack ... he's been honing his craft since Papa Few was in seminary.

Birddog
03-08-2016, 04:07 AM
I like both Musberger and Freschilla, but there wasn't a whole lot of play-by-play announcing going on. I'll cut Musberger some slack ... he's been honing his craft since Papa Few was in seminary.

Yep, I saw it that way too. Frascilla makes just about anybody look good, he knows his stuff.