PDA

View Full Version : Here is our chance for the best win of the season

ZagsGoZags
02-29-2016, 12:41 PM
The Coaches poll have St. Mary's at 24

If we meet them in the WCC playoffs,and beat them it would be our finest victory over the highest ranked opponent -
almost a reverse. Usually we don't like St. Mary's making sure we are their highest ranked opponent.
Now their rise gives us a good opportunity for a 'good win' to end the AP season of polling after the Tournament

meadgrad02
02-29-2016, 12:45 PM
If we beat them, it would be in the championship, and we would get the auto. Unless you are talking about seeding, but I just wanna actually get in.

RenoZag
02-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Beat the Pilots !

GoZags
02-29-2016, 12:48 PM
If we beat them, it would be in the championship, and we would get the auto. Unless you are talking about seeding, but I just wanna actually get in.

I'd take a Dayton First Four "play-in" game in a heartbeat right now ..... speaking of which there were several times during that BYU game on Saturday that I kinda wish I wasn't still recovering from a recent heart attack.

77Zag
02-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Beat the Pilots !

+1

GoZags
02-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Beat the Pilots !

Yessir ...

ZagsGoZags
02-29-2016, 12:52 PM
UConn is our best win so far, and they aren't ranked, with an RPI of 52.
I remember when we looked forward to playing SMU because they were ranked.
If we play, and beat, SMC we go dancing, and also get our 'best' win,
which would not hurt our RPI, and could only help our seeding,
and also will raise us up a little in our final resting place in the final AP poll of the 15-16 season

ZagOD7540
02-29-2016, 01:05 PM
We better focus on Portland first! We need to come out and hammer them good. Get everyone into rhythm. Just like we did out in Portland 2 weeks ago. Maybe Brownridge goes nuts against BYU...unfortunately SC has not played them well. Who knows what will happen with Pepp/Mary. Can Pepp get them a 3rd time? When will Mary's luck run out. Come out aggressive and stomp on these teams. Keep it rolling offensively Silas and KD-shoot with confidence and no hesitation. We need that 3rd scorer

ZagsGoZags
02-29-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't think what zag fans on this board focus on has a bearing on whether we beat Portland.
It would if that was what the coaching staff and players thought but I trust Few and players to focus on Portland without our help.
As fans i feel free to speculate about the possible future of the zags,
and there are many other threads on here about next year already.

Zagger
02-29-2016, 02:40 PM
My feelings are that the Orleans in Vegas is a great venue for the Zags. I also feel that the Zags are that much nearer to the top of their potential for the season (they are getting better as a team and making adjustments individually in positive directions). Wiltjer is better at D. Melson is much better on O. Perkins is playing better all around. Edwards has developed a better floor sense. M2C is more consistent. Sabonis is even more determined than he has been! Drano - he's high on the determined end as well. What's left is Alberts (apart from Triano, Bakamus and Beach). I've a feeling that Alberts will make a difference in a game yet this year. I'm not picky on which team is coming up next. I feel the Zags now know what they can do as a team and how to go about doing it. The Zags will be formidable competition to whoever they face. I feel that it'll be much harder to beat the Zags by any WCC team than it has been so far. When you combine passion & determination with good coaching, good D, good FT shooting and good O any mistakes an opposing team makes will give the Zags an even greater edge. I don't think any other WCC team can beat these Zags in Vegas.

Reborn
02-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Who even knows the Zags will play St Mary's. We are a long, long long ways from that reality.

What's real to me is we have a game this week against Portland, and St Mary's has a game. Let's see if we beat Portland.

And I am not too interested in all the talk about whether we will get an automatic bid either. I'm ALL IN to win the WCC Tournament. I love this tournament, and I know the Zags do too, and it is THEIR GOAL to win this tournament. We are coming into the tournament with confidence and it will help. But we all know that they had better be ready for Portland. If we win, we have a day or two to think about BYU if they win. I think the tournament will be one of the toughest yet.

Go Zags!!!

Nevada Don
03-01-2016, 05:03 PM
For those college basketball junkies or closet SMC fans, the Gaels host Grand Canyon College, 24-5 (wins over San Diego State, Houston and New Mexico State) tonight via W.TV on the net at 7 pm.

GCU is coached by former NBA player Dan Majerle. Majerle's playing status is listed as questionable for tonight's game.

Alternatively, WedMD TV will be broadcasting a live HD remote of a quadruple root canal, for your viewing pleasure.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2016, 05:08 PM
For those college basketball junkies or closet SMC fans, the Gaels host Grand Canyon College, 24-5 (wins over San Diego State, Houston and New Mexico State) tonight via W.TV on the net at 7 pm.

Alternatively, WedMD TV will be broadcasting a live HD remote of a quadruple root canal, for your viewing pleasure.

Distal or lingual??? Just yankin' your chain...sorry

Nevada Don
03-01-2016, 05:13 PM
A discerning man leaning towards viewing the root canal. Perhaps a little less painful than the game.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2016, 05:24 PM
A discerning man leaning towards viewing the root canal. Perhaps a little less painful than the game.

I've been called many things in my life, but never "discerning". Guess I'm now locked into watching that root canal thingy. Will post the box score afterwards.

gonzagafan62
03-01-2016, 06:47 PM
I've been called many things in my life, but never "discerning". Guess I'm now locked into watching that root canal thingy. Will post the box score afterwards.

Well how'd that go?

And I'm assuming the Gaels won?

Nevada Don
03-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Gaels a little sloppy. Up by 9 with 15:45 left.
Went up by 13 and now only up 2 with about 9 min left

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 07:36 PM
GCU 56, SMC 64 under 5:00 to play

Hoopaholic
03-01-2016, 07:38 PM
wild offensive shootout second half......think both teams left their defense on the chair in the lockerroom at half

Nevada Don
03-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Gaels by 9 for the win. Crazy high 2nd half FG% for both teams. Strange game.

GU's turn to win now.

JPtheBeasta
03-01-2016, 08:56 PM
I'd take a Dayton First Four "play-in" game in a heartbeat right now ..... speaking of which there were several times during that BYU game on Saturday that I kinda wish I wasn't still recovering from a recent heart attack.

Godspeed.

zagbeliever
03-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Beat the Pilots !

:agreed:

Ezag
03-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Pretty sad to think our best win could be against St Mary's who most here have been trashing all season

Hoopaholic
03-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Pretty sad to think our best win could be against St Mary's who most here have been trashing all season

ironic isn't it.............

Nevada Don
03-02-2016, 08:50 AM
ironic isn't it.............

For whatever the RPI means, is important or isn't important, SMC's RPI is up to 38.

Hate SMC when you play them, do everything you can to kick their butts in league, but hopefully respect (continue to) them when deserved and stand together when our goals are aligned.

I espouse the same to SMC fans.

TravelinZag
03-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Benett is perhaps the best bench coach in the league, and will be the landside winner as WCC COY. Hard to respect an athletic department which will not replace an arena that would shame most self-respecting high schools. If the Zags deserve better than a crappy 3.5 team league, so do RB and the Gaels (and BYU). Absurd that these three schools have to share men's and women's basketball revenue with the rest of this lot. None of the other sports generate net revenue anyway. Regret than one or two will have to share revenues from the NIT, which would be better served as a national championship for NAIA-type schools (the bottom 200 of the D-1 schools which are not competitive in basketball). Works well for football. The NCAA tournament would be reserved for top basketball programs without regard to conferences. Even the so-called major conferences have a bottom feeder or two that are miserable most years.

Moreover, there is nothing at stake for top programs in the NIT, and no great pride in winning or winning or losing it. Kentucky lost the first round NIT because there's nothing to play for. Hate to see top WCC schools accept invites when money is the only reason for accepting NIT bids, and that has to be shared with schools to don't deserve it (rest of the league).

Ezag
03-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Benett is perhaps the best bench coach in the league, and will be the landside winner as WCC COY. Hard to respect an athletic department which will not replace an arena that would shame most self-respecting high schools. If the Zags deserve better than a crappy 3.5 team league, so do RB and the Gaels (and BYU). Absurd that these three schools have to share men's and women's basketball revenue with the rest of this lot. None of the other sports generate net revenue anyway. Regret than one or two will have to share revenues from the NIT, which would be better served as a national championship for NAIA-type schools (the bottom 200 of the D-1 schools which are not competitive in basketball). Works well for football. The NCAA tournament would be reserved for top basketball programs without regard to conferences. Even the so-called major conferences have a bottom feeder or two that are miserable most years.

Moreover, there is nothing at stake for top programs in the NIT, and no great pride in winning or winning or losing it. Kentucky lost the first round NIT because there's nothing to play for. Hate to see top WCC schools accept invites when money is the only reason for accepting NIT bids, and that has to be shared with schools to don't deserve it (rest of the league).

Agreed! WCC teams have had ample time to step up their game since we did (only almost 20 years ago!) and aside from St. Marys (and newcomer BYU), it is a joke that's still funny year after year!