PDA

View Full Version : Dire straights

Zagsker
02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
The win last night got me thinking.

During this run of tourney appearances where would you rank last nights win as far as games in which an at large bid is highly questionable/doubtful? Iam not much of a seasonal historian so I rely on some of you to refresh me on previous season wins that were highly needed when GU at large chances were in dire straights.

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 04:16 PM
"Yeah the boys can play..."

Birddog
02-28-2016, 04:19 PM
I don't remember the particulars, but the year Heytvelt got dismissed had some key games, but most were in the WCC Tournament as I recall.

Zagsker
02-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Last night's win makes me think GU will get an at large if we make the WCC championship game....making the semi's I put it at 50/50 we get an at large.

Hard to argue that this team is not one of the top 30 at large teams in the country...no bad losses, no blowout losses, plays really well in neutral/away games, two losses (UA and UCLA) occur when the team has had to redesign their approach, guard play is coming on

Zagsker
02-28-2016, 04:35 PM
"Yeah the boys can play..."

:cool:

gonzagafan62
02-28-2016, 05:16 PM
2011 - Memphis - L
2007- if we don't lose two of three after Heytvelt left we are in easy.
2014: Santa Clara @ Santa Clara. Sam Dower nails three pointer
2014: Memphis - L Joe Jackson blocks Karnowski - Yuck
2012: Beating #16 Saint Mary's
All the other times we lost to Memphis
2016: SMU: Loss
2016: BYU: Win

I don't know where I'd rank it but there's a list of games I remember off the top of my head that were crucial. A lot of them were really fun games.

Just win baby

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 05:21 PM
:cool:

Nice catch.

webspinnre
02-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Last night's win makes me think GU will get an at large if we make the WCC championship game....making the semi's I put it at 50/50 we get an at large.

Hard to argue that this team is not one of the top 30 at large teams in the country...no bad losses, no blowout losses, plays really well in neutral/away games, two losses (UA and UCLA) occur when the team has had to redesign their approach, guard play is coming on

If we lose in the semis, I'd be shocked if we got an at-large.

Zags11
02-28-2016, 06:35 PM

Said this January and I continue to believe it.