PDA

View Full Version : OT: WCC Post-Season Awards Prediction Thread

RenoZag
02-28-2016, 11:05 AM
To the victors go the spoils. . .

Any thoughts on which Zags will be "All WCC"? Will Sabonis or Wiltjer qualify as Player of the Year ? Defensive Player of the Year ?

The WCC goes three deep on the All-League lists ( 1st Tm - 10 players; 2nd Tm - 5 Players, Honorable Mention - 8 players last year )

I think All League 10 will include Sabonis, Wiltjer, Collinsworth, Naar, Pineau, Davis, Watson, Wintering, Brownridge, Murray

2nd Team: Rahon, Jacko, Emery, Kok, Derksen

HM: McClellan, Perkins, Fischer . ..no opinion on the rest

COY: Randy Bennett

POY: Sabonis ( If not POY, could he be the Defensive POY? )

All - Frosh: Perkins

gonzagafan62
02-28-2016, 11:10 AM
I think Hermansen has to be on there somewhere for SMC. Seemed like a killer. I think the rest look good. HM is hard to think about.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-28-2016, 11:14 AM
POY -Collinsworth

COY - Bennett

Defender -Sabonis

1st Team: Collinsworth, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Davis, Brownridge, Rahon, Naar, Jacko, Wintering, Fischer.

2nd Team: Emery, Derksen, Murray, Perkins and Hermensen.

Hoopaholic
02-28-2016, 12:05 PM
POY -Collinsworth

COY - Bennett

Defender -Sabonis

1st Team: Collinsworth, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Davis, Brownridge, Rahon, Naar, Jacko, Wintering, Fischer.

2nd Team: Emery, Derksen, Murray, Perkins and Hermensen.

I switch Pineau with Perkins and Perkins will land on all freshman team Honorable mention

sittingon50
02-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't believe Sabonis will win player of the year because I believe Coach Few will nominate Wiltjer.

Bennett is COY & I don't think it's close.

DixieZag
02-28-2016, 01:16 PM
When we say "Defender of the Year" - are we mostly talking about ability to get defensive boards? Because Domas hasn't been allowed to play defense this year, especially in conf. Foul trouble leaves us with one big and refs let him get away with nothing while being hammered on. He ends up having to wave at guys going through the lane, in Moraga is the best example.

kitzbuel
02-28-2016, 01:58 PM
When we say "Defender of the Year" - are we mostly talking about ability to get defensive boards? Because Domas hasn't been allowed to play defense this year, especially in conf. Foul trouble leaves us with one big and refs let him get away with nothing while being hammered on. He ends up having to wave at guys going through the lane, in Moraga is the best example.
I think WCC just uses defensive POY for the next best player after the POY.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 02:14 PM
I think WCC just uses defensive POY for the next best player after the POY.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Not a bad team for the NCs. Sabonis, Wiltjer, KC, Jacko, Rahon.

gonzagafan62
02-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Just basing this off the entire season, no zag deserves DPOY. None. Sabonis is close but I don't think any of them get it. I'm not strong on knowledge of the rest of the WCC this year but I'd say no

RenoZag
02-29-2016, 07:08 AM
The 2014-15 awards announcement was made the Tuesday after the end of the regular season. Would expect the same this year.

Zagceo
02-29-2016, 07:14 AM
I really enjoyed watching Collinsworth play and the way he came back from his knee injury.

I would not be surprised if he wins POY.

BULLDOG#1
02-29-2016, 08:02 AM
I really enjoyed watching Collinsworth play and the way he came back from his knee injury.

I would not be surprised if he wins POY.

I would be surprised if he didn't win it. He's far and away the best player in the conference.

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 08:20 AM
I would be surprised if he didn't win it. He's far and away the best player in the conference.

I don't think there's any question Bennett is COY and Collinsworth is POY

TexasZagFan
02-29-2016, 08:29 AM
I don't think there's any question Bennett is COY and Collinsworth is POY

Let's assume that Bennett wins COY. Do the other WCC coaches follow suit and schedule cupcakes until conference play? If St. Mary's stumbles and loses a game in Vegas, their 200+ SOS will not aid their cause for an at-large bid.

Zagceo
02-29-2016, 08:32 AM
who gets to vote for WCC awards can't find any info on WCC site?

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-29-2016, 08:56 AM
who gets to vote for WCC awards can't find any info on WCC site?

I believe it is the coaches.

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Let's assume that Bennett wins COY. Do the other WCC coaches follow suit and schedule cupcakes until conference play? If St. Mary's stumbles and loses a game in Vegas, their 200+ SOS will not aid their cause for an at-large bid.

No and no.

SMC swept Gonzaga for the for the first time in 21 years. Who's actually swept Gonzaga in the past 21 years? That list is small. SMC also won the conference championship (shared with Gonzaga) and won tiebreaker with sweep of Gonzaga and got the #1 seed in tournament.

This all with losing 5 starters.

I could care less about OOC scheduling in regards to a WCC award. This isn't NCOY, this is WCC Coach of the Year. He did the best job in the WCC Bar none. No question. I think Marty would've had a strong case had his team not faded, but there is no doubt Bennett did the best job in the WCC

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 09:09 AM

We get it !!! RB schedules weak, historically. However, I think that being named COY might have more to do with actually shaping and coaching his players and not his scheduling missteps and how he handles the distribution of locker room towels, etc.

Serenity Now TexasZagFan ;)

ps I hope you are right about Dane Pineau but I'm not sure about his being 1st Team. Hope so.

vandalzag
02-29-2016, 09:11 AM

The rest of the coaches pretty much do follow suit. It stings more with SMC because they are a good team and have no reason to play that kind of schedule.

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 09:16 AM
1) I think the choices you have made are very solid and very objective.
2) I'll be interested in the All Frosh team. SMC candidates would be Evan Fitzner and Kyle Clark. You guys are better than me with the other team candidates and of course Josh Perkins.

Kiddwell
02-29-2016, 09:35 AM
POY - Collinsworth (senior status puts him ahead of Sabonis)
Coach - Randy B. (great job)
D Player of Year - Domas Sabonis
All Frosh Team - Josh

:]

TexasZagFan
02-29-2016, 09:37 AM
We get it !!! RB schedules weak, historically. However, I think that being named COY might have more to do with actually shaping and coaching his players and not his scheduling missteps and how he handles the distribution of locker room towels, etc.

Serenity Now TexasZagFan ;)

ps I hope you are right about Dane Pineau but I'm not sure about his being 1st Team. Hope so.

Serenity? I'm as serene as can be. It's Monday, global warming is giving us 75 degree temps in Dallas, and my IRS refund hits my bank on Wednesday. I've taken note of those disagreeing with my post, and I'm cool with that.

On the other hand:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/72/720e789d766f1529c3dc7133c9bbfc1776ae1da02e23745e1a 3b4f7ea40429e4.jpg

:jk:

Reborn
02-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I think Evan Fitzner should be 2nd team and Freshman player of the year. He killed Wiltjer and GU in both of their victories over us.

I'm going with Wiljer or Sabonis for POY. I'd take Wiltjer. BYU has too many bad losses. Where was Collinsworth in those losses? POY should come out of the Conference Champion imo. Which to me would Wiltjer or Sabonis or Rahon.

Go Zags!!!

Bennett has out-coached Few in the two games they played each other.

sittingon50
DPOY = Jito Kok.

exclusivelee

If you award the COY based on how a team performed in conference play compared to expectations, Randy Bennett runs away with the COY award

WCC Coaches' preseason poll predicted Saint Mary's to finished 4th: http://www.wccsports.com/news/2015-16-wcc-men-s-basketball-preseason-poll-all-wcc-team-10-24-2015

Saint Mary's lost their starting 5 from last year & returned only 1 player who averaged at least 15 min/game, along with no seniors on the roster.

Saint Mary's was 3-1 against the #2 & #3 seeds (Gonzaga & BYU) + 12-0 vs the bottom 6 teams

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 10:11 AM
I think Evan Fitzner should be 2nd team and Freshman player of the year. He killed Wiltjer and GU in both of their victories over us.

I'm going with Wiljer or Sabonis for POY. I'd take Wiltjer. BYU has too many bad losses. Where was Collinsworth in those losses? POY should come out of the Conference Champion imo. Which to me would Wiltjer or Sabonis or Rahon.

Go Zags!!!

Bennett has out-coached Few in the two games they played each other.

I like your pick of Evan Fitzner but how will Nick Emery fare with his 16.2 PPG in conference? Not well I hope. Not a favorite of mine.
Fitzners numbers are relatively high in various categories.

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 10:13 AM
How about a tie for POY this time around?

jake
02-29-2016, 10:13 AM

I don't see any connection with the two. Bennett deserves to win COY based on nothing other than conference play. What St. Mary's did OOC has nothing to do with the award. St. Mary's had a lot of new guys to get on the same page. If anything their OCC schedule gave them a chance to gel as a team. On your other point, I'm sure other league coaches would schedule cupcakes if it put them as the #1 seed in the conference tournament. Bennett clearly deserves COY this year, and I don't understand the shot at their OCC schedule. They did win the league and beat us twice.

Hoopaholic
02-29-2016, 10:56 AM
I don't see any connection with the two. Bennett deserves to win COY based on nothing other than conference play. What St. Mary's did OOC has nothing to do with the award. St. Mary's had a lot of new guys to get on the same page. If anything their OCC schedule gave them a chance to gel as a team. On your other point, I'm sure other league coaches would schedule cupcakes if it put them as the #1 seed in the conference tournament. Bennett clearly deserves COY this year, and I don't understand the shot at their OCC schedule. They did win the league and beat us twice.

I go a step further and suggest that his intentional scheduling HELPED build his team into what it is today.....like it or not it was effective

TexasZagFan
02-29-2016, 11:18 AM
I go a step further and suggest that his intentional scheduling HELPED build his team into what it is today.....like it or not it was effective

Perhaps our staff will review scheduling at the end of the year. 24,000+ miles of travel had to have played a negative role as the season went along. Next year's team should be so loaded that our OOC schedule not be as rugged as in past years.

TexasZagFan
02-29-2016, 11:18 AM

That's why he's paid the big bucks. It has been effective...so far.

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Effective in making his team better? I'll buy that. Absolutely. Too bad it doesn't help you get into the NCAA tournament at all

Zag_Dad
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM

I don't think his scheduling had anything to do with this year's team. SMC has a history of scheduling weak non-conference opponents. As for exceeding everyone's expectations this year, Bennet does deserve huge credit for taking a young group of kids and getting them to a co-championship. How many contributing players were with Bennet last year as red-shirt transfers? Is that a factor in anyone's mind?

I don't see anyone making a compelling argument that someone other than Bennet deserves COY consideration?

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 11:41 AM
That's why he's paid the big bucks. It has been effective...so far.

I don't want to sound as an apologist for RB's scheduling (because I'm not in favor of it generally) but if he ever had a reason to schedule weak, it was this year. He really had very little idea of what his talent level was going to be on the court in real games. He had only seen 4 of of his players in action the previous year, Pineau, Naar, Hermanson and Landale and in very limited minutes.

I'd guess when in doubt, schedule light and give the young guys a chance to feel their way. Give them some confidence with a likely win here and there. I also don't think RB was too concerned about the specifics of what it might take to get into "The Dance" as he really had "no chance". Why worry about "away games" and "RPI builders" if they wouldn't be dancin' anyway? Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Las Vegas !!

You can certainly say that his parameters for this years scheduling didn't apply for the previous years. It didn't. But as a stand alone season, I can justify his scheduling this year.

Next year will be a real test IMO. He will (or could) have likely have a pre-season Top 25 team. It would be appropriate to schedule accordingly. We'll see.

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 12:01 PM
How many contributing players were with Bennett last year as red-shirt transfers? Is that a factor in anyone's mind?

Good question. The answer is:

1) Joe Rahon (transfer), Evan Fitzner, RS Freshman. Those were the only two RB had the benefit of practicing with last season. However, both were starters this year.
2) another huge benefit for the Gaels and RB was the fact that most (all?) of the Aussies had played together on various junior Australian National teams. When Naar does the pick and roll with Pineau playing for the Gaels, it wasn't their first rodeo, so to speak.

Now please don't go all crazy on me and say the Gaels are cheating or that most of the current WCC officials are likely from Australia or that SMC has never seen a moving screen that it didn't worship !!! Just trying to have a little fun here. :cheers: Mates. G'Day.

vandalzag
02-29-2016, 12:16 PM

Agree to a point, ti was effective but not risk adverse as the end result still still put his team in a position that they have to win the tourney or they are NIT bound. GU is pretty much in the same boat but there is a chance they can get in and that is based on the non-con schedule. Some would also say you get better by playing better teams. Unless you know that all schools are going to step up and improve their programs you have to schedule like GU

Zag_Dad
02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Next year Gonzaga will have three players that are "new" to the team (Williams-Goss,Williams III and Jones)... I expect the first two will contribute immediately.

I'm not suggesting RB doesn't deserve COY for WCC but I think it's a huge stretch to talk about him as National COY. WCC is down, SMC had weak non-conference schedule and he wasn't really starting with a completely new squad. Nonetheless, one can't argue the fact that he and the Gaels are regular season conference champs.

Coach Crazy
02-29-2016, 12:26 PM
No and no.

SMC swept Gonzaga for the for the first time in 21 years. Who's actually swept Gonzaga in the past 21 years? That list is small. SMC also won the conference championship (shared with Gonzaga) and won tiebreaker with sweep of Gonzaga and got the #1 seed in tournament.

This all with losing 5 starters.

I could care less about OOC scheduling in regards to a WCC award. This isn't NCOY, this is WCC Coach of the Year. He did the best job in the WCC Bar none. No question. I think Marty would've had a strong case had his team not faded, but there is no doubt Bennett did the best job in the WCC

Per the bolded part, I don't think that is enough on its own. What if he had scheduled tougher, and had 5 or 6 more losses? The luster is gone. I believe if you are looking at a COY, that needs to be more in the ballpark of Marty Wilson.

sittingon50
02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Per the bolded part, I don't think that is enough on its own. What if he had scheduled tougher, and had 5 or 6 more losses? The luster is gone. I believe if you are looking at a COY, that needs to be more in the ballpark of Marty Wilson.

I'll disagree Coach. Marty had 5 starters back from a 10-8 team & went 10-8 in the WCC. Bennett had 0 starters back from a 13-5 team & went 15-3. Not even close, IMO.

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 12:39 PM

I disagree. Marty was in the discussion until the end of the season .... He could have really challenged for te league title this year honestly. Did a lot of nice things and the expectation was to get to #4 in the conference some even said #3. Saint Mary's was projected the same but won conference AND swept Gonzaga. Plus SMC had no returning starter and Pepperdine had 5 I think?

If I had to give a placement for Marty it's 2nd but there's quite a gap. A huge one in fact. At least in my opinion. Stronger scheduling as I said in my recent post doesn't mean as much as we are talking about WCC coach of the year not national coach of the year. If SMC scheduled stronger and won a lot of those games then you could make a case for him.

I'm not putting RB anywhere near national coach of the year but he did the best job of any coach in this league

RenoZag
02-29-2016, 05:28 PM

Marty Wilson ? Mr. I Can't Live Up to the Hype ? No way he outpolls RB.

Via mobile device

roundup
02-29-2016, 05:55 PM

So, the coach who had five returning starters and was picked to finish 3rd yet went 10-8 to finish 4th deserves to be COY, whereas the coach who had zero returning starters and was picked to finish 4th yet went 15-3 to finish 1st is not in the same "ballpark." Laughable.

Would love to hear the advanced stats justification. I'm sure it has nothing to do with your disdain for SMC.

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 06:20 PM
So, the coach who had five returning starters and was picked to finish 3rd yet went 10-8 to finish 4th deserves to be COY, whereas the coach who had zero returning starters and was picked to finish 4th yet went 15-3 to finish 1st is not in the same "ballpark." Laughable.

Would love to hear the advanced stats justification. I'm sure it has nothing to do with your disdain for SMC.

roundup, I don't get to see this guys posts because I put him on ignore and my life on GU is so much better. I get to read and reply to a lot of rational, oftentimes objective and knowledgeable basketball fans here.

ps you obviously don't have to reply but is "roundup" a place or an activity? Just curious.

kyle dixon
02-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Not even close in my opinion. If the Zags do receive a chance to play SMC again, wonder if Few can make the necessary adjustments against the high pick and roll of SMC.

Zagceo
02-29-2016, 06:47 PM
If SMC were to lose the 1st game in Vegas would RB deserve COY?

Tournament winner goes to NCAA isn't that important to consider when deciding COY?

Same for Few if he had lost 1st game in Vegas in the past.

Why have such importance on tournament winner and yet not allow awards winners/losers be judged accordingly.

Just another opinion that doesn't matter. Just sayin

Zag 77
02-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Some years there is somebody who gets slighted and has something to prove at the WCC Tournament. And sometimes the Tournament MVP is unexpected. Examples: Marquise Carter in 2011 (he was WCC newcomer of year that year). Micah Downs in 2009 was not even an Honorable Mention. John Rillie in 1995 was only an Honorable Mention in the regular season but exploded in the WCC Tournament, winning MVP and leading GU to its first NCAA berth.

It will be interesting if somebody from the group of Perkins, McClellan, Dranginis and Melson feels like he has something to prove after the All-WCC picks come out. Heck, maybe even Sabonis or Wiltjer might be mad.

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 06:50 PM
roundup, I don't get to see this guys posts because I put him on ignore and my life on GU is so much better. I get to read and reply to a lot of rational, oftentimes objective and knowledgeable basketball fans here.

ps you obviously don't have to reply but is "roundup" a place or an activity? Just curious.

No jokes? Oh. Nevermind.

Btw, don't think I congratulated you and your fans (mostly cause I haven't seen you much) but congrats to your team. Did a wonderful job. It'll be fun if we both make the finals. Hope we do. I'd love another chance against your Gaels.

Nevada Don
02-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks 62. I'd love for GU and SMC to be in the finals against each other because
1) it means that at least one of us is dancin' this year and possibly both of us
2) it will make for a much better long week-end for all of our fans that will be in Las Vegas

gonzagafan62
02-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Thanks 62. I'd love for GU and SMC to be in the finals against each other because
1) it means that at least one of us is dancin' this year and possibly both of us
2) it will make for a much better long week-end for all of our fans that will be in Las Vegas

Agreed. I would love to see us both get title shot for auto and loser takes a chance. Would love to just see all three Zags Gaels and cougs all get in. Way better now than a month ago

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2016, 05:17 AM
DPOY = Jito Kok.

agree...especially since sabonis will be on first team and kok probably won't even make 2nd team as a senior.

Zagdawg
03-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Bennet deserves COY -- he did well to coach his team to a tie for first -- I thought the Gaels were originally picked to be 3rd behind BYU in the WCC.

vandalzag
03-01-2016, 07:45 AM
RB does get the nod. But the job that Few has done should be noted. Losing 3 starters going in and then another at the start of the season combined with a brand new back court made this one of the Zags most difficult seasons.

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Results have been announced by the WCC:

SAN BRUNO, Calif. – BYU senior All-American Kyle Collinsworth set the NCAA all-time record for most triple-doubles (11) and captured West Coast Conference Player of the Year honors after a record-setting career in Provo. Saint Mary’s Randy Bennett collected Coach of the Year accolades for the third time, while junior guard Joe Rahon was named Newcomer of the Year in his first season with the Gaels. Gonzaga’s Eric McClellan earned Defensive Player of the Year honors as announced Tuesday by the league office.

All four individual awards – along with the All-West Coast Conference Teams and the All-Freshman Team – were voted on by the league’s 10 head coaches.

Collinsworth becomes the second Cougar in three seasons to earn selection as WCC Player of the Year following in the footsteps of former teammate, All-American guard Tyler Haws (2014). A national finalist for the Cousy Award, Collinsworth averaged 15.6 points, 8.2 rebounds, 7.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game. BYU’s all-time leader in both assists (660) and rebounds (1,001), Collinsworth ranks first (6) and second (5) on the NCAA single-season triple-double chart.

McClellan is the sixth Gonzaga student-athlete to capture Defensive Player of the Year since the award made its debut in the 1998-99 season and the second straight joining former teammate Gary Bell Jr. (2015). McClellan keys a stingy defensive unit, limiting league foes to just 39.5% from the field and the stingiest 3-point defense in the country – 28.5%. A physical defender, typically tasked with guarding the opposition’s top offensive perimeter player, McClellan adds 10.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.

Rahon is the fifth Gael student-athlete named Newcomer of the Year and the first since current San Antonio Spur Patrick Mills collected the hardware in 2007-08. In his first season at Saint Mary’s, Rahon ranks 11th nationally in assist/turnover ratio (3.59), 25th in total assists (165) and 27th in assists per game (5.9). During league play, Rahon averages 10.0 points, 4.2 rebounds to go along with 5.3 assists and 1.3 steals.

Bennett collects his third WCC Coach of the Year honors after being selected by his peers in both in 2008 and 2011. This season, Bennett replaced his entire starting lineup and Saint Mary’s didn’t miss a beat posting one of the most efficient seasons in league history, ranking in the top-10 nationally in multiple categories including field goal percentage (first) and assist/turnover ratio. Bennett directed the Gaels to its third WCC Regular Season title in six seasons despite being picked to finish fourth in the preseason coaches poll.

Of the 10-member All-WCC First Team, six appeared on the 2015-16 preseason All-WCC squad. Pepperdine’s Stacy Davis earned his third straight first team berth, while Santa Clara’s Jared Brownridge, BYU’s Collinsworth and Gonzaga’s Kyle Wiltjer each appear on the first team for the second consecutive season.

This marks the second straight season the WCC will honor a five-member second team after a 30-year hiatus. The first team expanded to 10 members in 1980-81.

With the conclusion of the regular season, WCC teams head to Las Vegas to compete for the 2016 West Coast Conference Basketball Championship and subsequent automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Tournament action tips off Friday, March 4 at the Orleans Arena.

2015-16 West Coast Conference Major Awards
Player of the Year: Kyle Collinsworth, BYU
Coach of the Year: Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s
Defensive Player of the Year: Eric McClellan, Gonzaga
Newcomer of the Year: Joe Rahon, Saint Mary’s

2015-16 All-WCC Men’s Basketball First Team

Jared Brownridge
Kyle Collinsworth
Stacy Davis
Chase Fischer
Emmett Naar
Joe Rahon
Domantas Sabonis
Devin Watson
Kyle Wiltjer
Alec Wintering

2015-16 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Second Team

Tim Derksen
Nick Emery
Adom Jacko
Lamond Murray Jr.
Bryce Pressley

2015-16 WCC Men’s Basketball Honorable Mention Selections
Brandon Brown, Loyola Marymount; Alec Kobre, Pacific; Jett Raines, Pepperdine; T.J. Wallace, Pacific

2015-16 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Freshman Team

Kameron Edwards
Nick Emery
KJ Feagin
Evan Fitzner
Josh Perkins

Hoopaholic
03-01-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't want to sound as an apologist for RB's scheduling (because I'm not in favor of it generally) but if he ever had a reason to schedule weak, it was this year. He really had very little idea of what his talent level was going to be on the court in real games. He had only seen 4 of of his players in action the previous year, Pineau, Naar, Hermanson and Landale and in very limited minutes.

I'd guess when in doubt, schedule light and give the young guys a chance to feel their way. Give them some confidence with a likely win here and there. I also don't think RB was too concerned about the specifics of what it might take to get into "The Dance" as he really had "no chance". Why worry about "away games" and "RPI builders" if they wouldn't be dancin' anyway? Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Las Vegas !!

You can certainly say that his parameters for this years scheduling didn't apply for the previous years. It didn't. But as a stand alone season, I can justify his scheduling this year.

Next year will be a real test IMO. He will (or could) have likely have a pre-season Top 25 team. It would be appropriate to schedule accordingly. We'll see.

don't apologize. He made a coaching decision and it has landed him in a WCC Regular Season Banner with us and has him in position to be considered for the big dance......nothing to complain about in my book as a coach you need to do what is best for your team

Hoopaholic
03-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Agree to a point, ti was effective but not risk adverse as the end result still still put his team in a position that they have to win the tourney or they are NIT bound. GU is pretty much in the same boat but there is a chance they can get in and that is based on the non-con schedule. Some would also say you get better by playing better teams. Unless you know that all schools are going to step up and improve their programs you have to schedule like GU

But one could speculate that if he had scheduled tough games it may have destroyed his teams confidence, that was clearly building throughout the year cumulating with the win on our court......thus he might have found himself in the 3rd or 4th slot inWCC as was the pre season prediction