PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU/BYU

Section 116
02-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Hudson:Wow what a ball game. After questioning themselves for a week the Zags come into Provo and walk out with a big win. BYU had several chances at the end to send the game into overtime or tie it up. Sabonis with another double double. Wiltjer with 20 and 7. Zags are 9-2 on the road, this is just a team that is mentally tough on the road. 10 lead changes in the game. Wiltjer made some big time plays inside and outside. GU holds BYU to 32% shooting. Zags shoot 47%. the 7-0 run when the officials called the technical on Dranginis really got BYU back into the game. The crowd was really getting into it but GU hung on. Zags really cut down on the turnovers in the second half. I think it was 11 in the first half and only two in the second. Perkins with the defensive play of the night knocking away the ball from Collinsworth, Melson with the ball.

Michaelson: The effort and fight was great, it wasn't always smart. Our defensive effort was consistent. That late three by Fischer was an incredible shot. Melson was huge down the stretch. We could have folded several times and to be honest I think earlier in the year we would have. Collinsworth is just so tough. There is just no good matchup for us. McClellan was good for a while but Collinsworth is just so tough. Edwards had two great free throws and a couple blocks. In this game, in this environment Perkins, a freshman has 5 assists and no turnovers. The first stated goal is to win the league championship and after last week we were as down as I have ever seen a group of guys. We really pushed em this week and took em a few days to respond. Honestly until that ball went up Thursday night I didn't know what to expect. Another Saturday, an enormous game. They did what they had to do. I'm as proud of these guys as any. They did what they had to do to win another league championship. (if some of this doesn't flow so well, Hudson and Michaelson were talking a mile a minute and my fingers don't move that fast-they adrenaline is really flowing down there in Provo)!

Sub of the game tonight-Melson in double figures again with 13 points at 29 minutes. Where Silas was back in December and where he is now with the confidence, the smile, the Swagger. This was a huge environment, a huge game and for a sophomore to step up like he did, wow. This series has gotten really competitive, BYU 69-68 in Spokane, GU 71-68 in Provo. Now we get to scoreboard watching and the pressure goes to SMC. Rex will probably have USF frothing at the mouth. Fischer, Collinsworth and Emery in double figures for BYU. This is a chalkboard goal. This goes up on the board at the beginning of the season. There was a lot of doubt both internally and externally.

Dranginis: What better way to end the regular season. We just preached this whole week, we can either be a victim or stand up and fight we decided to stand up and fight. Even Edwards was out there fighting. I've never seen him jump so high and Domas was just flying all over the place. It felt so good to come out on the winning side of one of these games. That last 20 seconds was really tough becauase you have to stay focused when the refs are looking at the replay and we don't know whose ball it's going to be. You don't have to shoot 100%, you don't have to make every play, you just have continue to fight. The championship means everything to me. That is what I came here to do. It means a lot to Wiltjer and McClellan too. Whew-Go Zags!!!

Added content: Zags return the favor on senior night in Provo. GU really executed the game play. GU has seven losses by 29 points and this one had the feeling once again toward the end. But GU made the winning plays at the end tonight. This group needed to learn how to do that and tonight they did. When the chips were down at the end they came through. BYU had 16 more shots tonight than the Zags and you don't see a team win very often with 16 fewer shots. But as Santangelo noted when you're shooting them and missing them you can win shooting fewer shots. BYU had opportunities but Santangelo said that is the way the cookie crumbles.

RenoZag
02-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the recap !!

Zagger
02-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks again 116! :)

WallaWallaZag
02-28-2016, 07:11 AM
Michaelson: Collinsworth is just so tough. There is just no good matchup for us. McClellan was good for a while but Collinsworth is just so tough.

this is what happens when you don't recruit a legit sf to match-up against guys like collinsworth. the only time i've ever seen collinsworth hesitate against the zags was when he was being guarded by angel nunez...too bad angel wasn't a good fit. maybe norvell or hachimura will prove capable of going up against nba sized wings. erroll knight would have shut down a guy like kc...he's good, but he can't hit from the perimeter unless you leave him wide open.

DixieZag
02-28-2016, 07:29 AM
This might be the thread I look forward to most each week. Thank you Sec

Section 116
02-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks Dixie and everyone else who enjoys reading the post game radio thread. Unfortunately I won't be able to provide this service while I'm in Las Vegas! I will miss listening to Hudson and Santangelo pre and post game while in Las Vegas. Those guys do a first rate job!

gonzagafan62
02-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks Dixie and everyone else who enjoys reading the post game radio thread. Unfortunately I won't be able to provide this service while I'm in Las Vegas! I miss listening to Hudson and Santangelo pre and post game while in Las Vegas. Those guys do a first rate job!

No thank you 116