PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cougs Rochestie gives up scholly for new recruit

wazZag
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2003926560_wsuhoops05.html

Classy, unselfish move.

Rubbadub
10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
To me it seems like this sorta thing would be a little more common...granted that your average scholarship college bball player can't afford that kind of decision. There are quite a few who comfortably could, however. It's better for the team you're completely working your butt off for after all.

MDABE80
10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
That move on Taylor's part is one for the ages. I suspect it'll set a trend if a kid's finanaces can handle it. Very "Zaggish" move by Taylor. WSU with Bennett leading them are beginning to sound like GU about 10 years ago......except we never had those rankings after 1 year of success. Many of you might recall that most thought GU 's performance was a fluke and that the Zags would fold their tent, dry up and just blow away as a cute example of what could happen with some overachieving players and a lot of luck. Didn't happen. Eastern WA basketball......who would have ever thought this would happen.... 2 strong ranked teams 80 miles apart. WSU-GU might be supplanting the UW-GU series as a national game. I hope so.

Anyway, congrats to WSU, Taylor and all Coug fans.....big, major move.

spudzag
10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Speaks volumes about the direction and atmosphere of a program when guys are that unselfish.

sittingon50
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Great move.

BZ, you should adopt one of the players & pay the freight. Then Few could bring in someone else!:D

BobZag
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Great move.

BZ, you should adopt one of the players & pay the freight. Then Few could bring in someone else!:D

I'll do that...

...once I hit the Lotto.

ZagnetitForce
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I read this in the SR this morning and was so impressed. What a classy act and just shows what kind of kids Bennett is able to attract (and a tribute to him as well). I have a feeling Few and Bennett will be going after a lot of the same kids in the near future and should help to strengthen this new rivarly! All very good!

Somebody stated this was a very Zag type thing to do. While I agree, I have never heard of a Zag giving up a scholarship before, although I know they have the charac ter to do it (maybe just not the fiances).

Bring on the season! I am ready to get back in the MAC and cheer our guys on!

cougs4ever
10-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I read this in the SR this morning and was so impressed. What a classy act and just shows what kind of kids Bennett is able to attract (and a tribute to him as well). I have a feeling Few and Bennett will be going after a lot of the same kids in the near future and should help to strengthen this new rivarly! All very good!

Somebody stated this was a very Zag type thing to do. While I agree, I have never heard of a Zag giving up a scholarship before, although I know they have the charac ter to do it (maybe just not the fiances).

Bring on the season! I am ready to get back in the MAC and cheer our guys on!

You guys are funny, but my first thought was "I wonder if they'll say that Taylor is Zag material." ;)

NorthoftheBorder
10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
It looks like the Zags will be giving out 4 scholarships for next year even though only 2 (Pendo and Kuso) are graduating. The coaching staff must be assuming that Heytvelt & Pargo will be leaving school after this season to go pro.

If Jeremy decides to stick around for his senior season I wonder if his brother Jannero would pay his way next season so that Coach Few doesn't have to withdraw one of the 4 scholarships he will have given out?

ZagnetitForce
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I think you misunderstood my post if you thought I was being "funny". I really respect Bennett and what he has done for the WSU program. No jokes intended. Straight honesty.

cougs4ever
10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I think you misunderstood my post if you thought I was being "funny". I really respect Bennett and what he has done for the WSU program. No jokes intended. Straight honesty.

I know you were being straight up. I read both Coug and Zag boards every day. I didn't mean it as poke at either school. Just that I knew that someone on this board would say he's "Zag material." It's a compliment to Taylor that Abe said that.

tyra
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
What do they include? I assume it is tuition. But is it also room and board? What about books? (Some day I'm going to start an OT thread about THAT scandal -- the cost of text books.) Whatever it is, Rochestie's act is pure class.

saintzag
10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I give the WSU program and Rochestie big credits.