PDA

View Full Version : Attaboy Zags ... hang another banner

GoZags
02-27-2016, 06:34 PM
1st place all alone right now ... let's see if SMC can manage to tie the Zags at the top of the standings. Something I don't say too often .... "Go Dons".

gonzagafan62
02-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Another conference championship. It doesn't bother me that if its shared or whether SMC wins (no gimmies at War Memorial either) The adversity that we overcame was absolutely awesome.

Never take them for granted. This one was sweet.

Payback from last year. It's gotta help in committee room too .

Now let's win that tourney!

Hoopaholic
02-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Another conference championship. It doesn't bother me that if its shared or whether SMC wins (no gimmies at War Memorial either) The adversity that we overcame was absolutely awesome.

Never take them for granted. This one was sweet.

Payback from last year. It's gotta help in committee room too .

Now let's win that tourney!

Well stated

gonzagafan62
Oops. You beat me. Please move my post here. Thank you!

Go bulldogs

Radbooks
+1

Congratulations Zags! Great job of winning another league championship!

DixieZag
02-27-2016, 06:40 PM
I would laugh my ass off if we won the league alone. I know SMC broke the string. But, this was the year, we got swept by SMC and split with the "Y"ine, it would be comedic if SMC loses it will take some of the sting off the year.

CdAZagFan
02-27-2016, 06:43 PM
A lot of pressure on SMC tonight - see if they can handle it. I sure hope USF shoots like they did against us there for most of the game.

WCCougar
02-27-2016, 06:48 PM
The "Y"ine eh? :) I came on here to congratulate you guys. I thought your team played very gritty, especially when it got really loud a few times, and a few iffy calls went the other way. I hafto say to, I think Few is total class. He and Revano seem to be two very standup guys.

Good luck in the WCC tourney

Rio Runner
02-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Most disappointing season in years, truly. AND YET, we still win the conference title. Pretty amazing. Our bar is set high. Go Zags!

CdAZagFan
02-27-2016, 06:52 PM
It's funny how it seems like such a down year - but we just wrapped up another league title. That was a great win for this group. A championship in Vegas would be the cherry on top.

Zag_Dad
02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
It's funny how it seems like such a down year - but we just wrapped up another league title. That was a great win for this group. A championship in Vegas would be the cherry on top.

It IS a down year when winning the regular season title is not enough to get an at large bid. We've still got work to do!

tyko
02-27-2016, 07:11 PM
As one of the weirdos who have followed the Zags for more than 25 years, I still think it's cool that we are even in the conversation. I want us to make the Tournament, but I really won't be bent outta shape if we don't. I honestly cannot believe how far the Zag program has come.

whatazag
02-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Few also keeps his streak of 3 or less losses in league play. Just 1 more streak to keep alive (well 2 I guess if you count getting to the title game of the WCC tourney).

Nevada Don
02-27-2016, 09:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ZAGS !!! I know it wasn't the exact year you wanted "so far" but your streak continues with WCC Championships along with this years tie with my beloved SAINT MARY'S GAELS.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-27-2016, 09:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ZAGS !!! I know it wasn't the exact year you wanted "so far" but your streak continues with WCC Championships along with this years tie with my beloved SAINT MARY'S GAELS.

No idea how anyone could be legitimately happy with being tied with the team that beat you twice and still say you were league champions. Head to head should break the tie. Where are the orange slices and capri suns.

gonzagafan62
02-27-2016, 09:42 PM

Thanks I'm happy with the adversity our team overcame to still tie for league championship. Tie or not it's whatever. The Gaels played well this season. Should be a fun tourney. Oh and, congrats to you too.

Go Bulldogs

Kiddwell
02-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Happy, relieved. Josh called it right. Won conference. :o

:]

(Congrats to Randy's bunch too.)

gonzagafan62
02-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Happy, relieved. Josh called it right. Won conference. :o

:]
Believe Emac said it on senior night too

DixieZag
02-27-2016, 09:49 PM
No idea how anyone could be legitimately happy with being tied with the team that beat you twice and still say you were league champions. Head to head should break the tie. Where are the orange slices and capri suns.

Because everything is relative and the alternative was second, or third? Because even though we lost head to head, they got rolled, twice, by Pepp? We didn't? That's not all that bad . . .

I've been critical of this team, but bottom line, they didn't lose a bad game all year outside of maybe UCLA, and there are 8 teams that would happily switch places with us. It's not our birthright.

Anyway, I still don't see how this team beats BYU and SMC on consecutive occasions, but maybe the dam breaks, SMC has to face a team that swept them if they want the final. We'll see. I give us a little less than 50-50 to get through.

Reborn
02-27-2016, 09:58 PM
from that they showed at the game tonight (during the St Mary's game) is that St Mary's plays BYU and we play Pepperdine if we both win our first game.

Congrats to our boys for winning another League Championship. What guts hugh? That was a war tonight and we had to do it on their turf and infront of 20,000 crazy fans. It was pretty loud alright. THEY DID IT!!!

Go Zags!!!

Pargo the Destroyer
02-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Because everything is relative and the alternative was second, or third? Because even though we lost head to head, they got rolled, twice, by Pepp? We didn't? That's not all that bad . . .

I've been critical of this team, but bottom line, they didn't lose a bad game all year outside of maybe UCLA, and there are 8 teams that would happily switch places with us. It's not our birthright.

Anyway, I still don't see how this team beats BYU and SMC on consecutive occasions, but maybe the dam breaks, SMC has to face a team that swept them if they want the final. We'll see. I give us a little less than 50-50 to get through.

I see what youre saying. I guess to me (which matters very little) the "league championship" moniker feels hollow. Still...wonderful accomplishment for the team...huge obstacle overcome tonight and they returned the favor and stuck it to BYU on their senior night

gonzagafan62
02-27-2016, 10:12 PM

If we get to that final, I don't care who we are playing. We are winning. Do we get there? I don't know. It'll be a tough couple of battles if we beat Portland

kitzbuel
02-28-2016, 04:59 AM
1st place all alone right now ... let's see if SMC can manage to tie the Zags at the top of the standings. Something I don't say too often .... "Go Dons".

This is a great accomplishment because the still achieved their goal despite all the adversity they faced this season. Congrats! This really should feel good for the team and motivate them to move on to their next goals.

RenoZag
02-28-2016, 05:41 AM
The Zags let double-digit leads slip away in losses to BYU in the first meeting in January and on the road against Saint Mary’s a week later. It looked like they might be headed down a similar path Saturday but they decided enough was enough.

“We needed this because we’ve been in a lot of games like this that we haven’t won,” coach Mark Few said. “Pretty much every one of our losses has been similar to that where we led or were in control pretty much the whole game, other than Saint Mary’s (last Saturday). I’m proud of the guys for that.”

The Zags beat the hottest team in the conference, extinguishing BYU’s five-game winning streak and title hopes in one of the loudest environments in college basketball.

“It was (on edge), that’s what made it so special and big,” senior guard Kyle Dranginis said. “We’ve been preaching all season we have to fight. We did that for a full 40 minutes. We didn’t play well in spurts but we were fighting.”

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2016/feb/27/gu-holds-byu-earns-least-share-title/

TravelinZag
02-28-2016, 07:53 AM
I give us a little less than 50-50 to get through.

Dixie, some interesting perspectives you offer. However, what chances do you give the other teams?

Reborn
02-28-2016, 08:47 AM

I respect you Dixie for your bold statement, and if looked at objectively you're right. We tied St Mary's for the CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP, and they beat us twice so they will probably be favored. There are not too many seasons when the Zags are not favored to win the Conference Tournament. We will be underdogs, and that will certainly be a motivating factor for sure. I do hope St Mary's is favored.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
02-28-2016, 08:55 AM
I respect you Dixie for your bold statement, and if looked at objectively you're right. We tied St Mary's for the CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP, and they beat us twice so they will probably be favored. There are not too many seasons when the Zags are not favored to win the Conference Tournament. We will be underdogs, and that will certainly be a motivating factor for sure. I do hope St Mary's is favored.

Go Zags!!!

Disagree.....We had substantial leads in each of the games played and WE lost the lead, it was not taken away from us. I think we have turned the corner and last nights demonstration shows the growth that has occured.

Neutral court we will win the championship is my view. If either team had manhandled us or controlled us from tip off to end of game I would agree with the 50-50 split but when you start to look and analyze each game, combined with each teams ROAD record I think a different picture gets painted I have us 70-30 to win it

zagbeliever
02-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I think the neutral(ish considering all of the Zags there:) ) court is very much to our advantage. We play our best on away games

sittingon50
02-28-2016, 12:19 PM
I think the neutral(ish considering all of the Zags there:) ) court is very much to our advantage. We play our best on away games

Agree.

DixieZag
02-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Go Zags!!!

I think they'll mostly be favored b/c we'll have had to go through BYU. People here keep leaping to the Final. I am actually more worried about dropping the semi than I am about the final.

It's for that reason alone I put our chances at less than 50-50. I was talking championship of the tournament, not one straight up game against SMC.

If we went down there and played one game v. SMC for all the marbles, I would give us the edge.

Zag_Dad
02-29-2016, 03:21 PM
http://www.wccsports.com/news/crumpacker-a-look-at-the-wcchoops-tournament-02-29-2016

I like this Crumpacker guy... he has GU beating Pepperdine for the WCC tournament title and auto-bid! He must be a wise man... and very handsome too :)

Coach Crazy
02-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Disagree.....We had substantial leads in each of the games played and WE lost the lead, it was not taken away from us. I think we have turned the corner and last nights demonstration shows the growth that has occured.

Neutral court we will win the championship is my view. If either team had manhandled us or controlled us from tip off to end of game I would agree with the 50-50 split but when you start to look and analyze each game, combined with each teams ROAD record I think a different picture gets painted I have us 70-30 to win it

Yeah, this is closer to what I feel. A team can beat you twice and within a certain margin it doesn't necessary constitute a substantial distance between the two. I remember hearing someone say once "Doesn't matter whether it's by 50 or by 1, a win is a win." This is mostly untrue. It fights against the idea of context. And the more context (without trying to create what is not there) the better.

rennis
02-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Most disappointing season in years, truly. AND YET, we still win the conference title. Pretty amazing. Our bar is set high. Go Zags!

Exactly.

Get that Tournament Title next!

Reborn
02-29-2016, 08:19 PM
http://www.wccsports.com/news/crumpacker-a-look-at-the-wcchoops-tournament-02-29-2016

I like this Crumpacker guy... he has GU beating Pepperdine for the WCC tournament title and auto-bid! He must be a wise man... and very handsome too :)

I want to play St. Mary's.