PDA

View Full Version : Melson

strikenowhere
02-27-2016, 03:42 PM
You've been steadily improving your game over the last few weeks...tonight, make me eat some crow!

ZagMan in Philly
02-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Keep it up Melson!!!
Gutsy win for the Zags tonight.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2016, 06:22 PM
impact

whatazag
02-27-2016, 06:23 PM
melson was a good defender to start the year, but he has kicked it up another notch. combined with his offense coming now, its clear he is going to take a significant chunk of Emacs minutes.

U Zig, I Zag
02-27-2016, 06:24 PM
I like him. Always have. Got the best basketball body on the team.

I said on here a couple times (not that I know a thing) that they need sets to get him going after pulling the bigs away from the basket. Sabonis to Melson a couple times in a row gave us a coushin there at the end.

ZagLawGrad
02-27-2016, 06:25 PM
He's starting to come along. Let's not get carried away, yet.

Alum08
02-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Got the best basketball body on the team.

What do you mean by that? Which characteristics?

Coach Crazy
02-27-2016, 06:28 PM
As someone who has been highly critical of Melson, he has brought about progress for himself that I did not think we would see. Props to him.

CdAZagFan
02-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Is really playing steady, consistent offense and defense... A great component to have at this time of the year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-27-2016, 06:35 PM
He is a much better basketball player at the end of February than he was at mid-season. He is showing a lot of poise and confidence. This team needs him to be this player.

U Zig, I Zag
02-27-2016, 06:41 PM
What do you mean by that? Which characteristics?

Long body, long arms. Fast. Recovers fast on D if he makes a mistake.

Dribbles well with both hands. Can attack (showing more of that). Certainly can hit from deep. Seeing more of that.

And most important, to me - he has a good grip on the ball. Can rebound with one hand. Tends to know where he is in relation to other players. Some of the fastest ball movement we have is Melson on the defensive rebound and taking it and going.

Rio Runner
02-27-2016, 06:45 PM
melson was a good defender to start the year, but he has kicked it up another notch. combined with his offense coming now, its clear he is going to take a significant chunk of Emacs minutes.

Let's hope! Melson certainly is more explosive and is a better decision maker.

demian
02-27-2016, 11:42 PM

Dribbles well with both hands. Can attack (showing more of that). Certainly can hit from deep. Seeing more of that.

And most important, to me - he has a good grip on the ball. Can rebound with one hand. Tends to know where he is in relation to other players. Some of the fastest ball movement we have is Melson on the defensive rebound and taking it and going.

VERY WELL SAID

Zagger
02-28-2016, 04:10 AM
The kid's got a lot of heart too. Coming in like he did last year in MSG showed his character and devotion to the team. I feel he was able to channel his passion this season to get where he is now. Some players might get down with low mins and missing shots. Melson has worked buckets to improve and ..... improved. It couldn't have happened at any better timing than it has. Unique season this one. Quite an emotional one for the team and fans. More to come too :) Go Zags!

cjm720
02-28-2016, 05:37 AM
Keep it up!!! Glad he could mentally push through the slump. He's a key piece now.

zaguarxj
02-28-2016, 05:37 AM

Already has. Look at the box score. Emac played 22 minutes. Melson played 29. Who was on the floor in crunch time?

Ekrub
02-28-2016, 05:38 AM
Has a nice looking shot. Wish it would drop at a higher rate. Both him and perkins a work in progress but happy with the growth from the start of the season.

SanDiegoZag
02-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Has he hit enough big shots on the road yet to start referring to him as Silence Melson?

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Full Melson?

Ezag
02-28-2016, 07:36 AM
I too have been critical of Melson and a happy to see him prove me wrong and continue to prove me wrong

Outraged
02-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Thank goodness he shaved his beard. There is a direct correlation between the length of his beard and his fg%. I am glad he figured it out

Birddog
02-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Pretty obvious that in the last 3 to 4 weeks the game has slowed down for Melson and simultaneously he has found his shot. I esp liked that drive where he hesitated at the top of the paint and then went for the lay up. Daugherty liked it a lot too.

webspinnre
02-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Him stepping up makes me a lot more comfortable with our back court, both the remainder of this year, and next year.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Who knows how this season would have gone if he had a few more of his shots fall early on. A confident Melson would have probably translated into a few more wins and no bubble. I really thought he had it in him and I'm glad to see him out together for several games in a row.

ProjectMKUltra5
02-28-2016, 09:23 AM

+1

He's been my favorite player since he committed. There isn't a guy on the team I'm happier for then Silas, no lie. So glad he's found his rhythm.

DixieZag
02-28-2016, 10:01 AM
I don't have the experience here some have, but I can't recall a player turning a season around so definitively.

That takes a ton of mental toughness to continue to believe in yourself. Takes good coaching to support it, too.

NotoriousZ
02-28-2016, 11:02 AM

He is taking Alberts' minutes now. And McClellan is getting it done.

What I hope to see is a four guard lineup in extended stretches for us. Perkins, Melson, McClellan, and Dranginis all defend and rebound very well. This is a game changer when we need a spark. But there's no doubt that Melson will be a huge part of this team.

gonzagafan62
02-28-2016, 11:14 AM
I don't have the experience here some have, but I can't recall a player turning a season around so definitively.

That takes a ton of mental toughness to continue to believe in yourself. Takes good coaching to support it, too.

I remember Carter (Marquise) changing the 2011 season by himself practically. Sure Gray and Sacre were still big but Carter for whatever reason when he was added primary and given the keys to the Ferrari so to speak he came up big time.

Just my thoughts. Melson has certainly done some real work too for sure

Hoopaholic
02-28-2016, 12:08 PM

What I hope to see is a four guard lineup in extended stretches for us. Perkins, Melson, McClellan, and Dranginis all defend and rebound very well. This is a game changer when we need a spark. But there's no doubt that Melson will be a huge part of this team.

with his turnaround or improvement depending on your perspective, it does give the TRUE option of going 4 guard 1 big lineup, especially when we have foul trouble or the insertion of Edwards would be non advantageous.....

I love his improvement and look forward to seeing more and more consistency

TheZagPhish
02-28-2016, 12:17 PM
http://cl.ly/fGyq/silas-melson.jpg

ProVeeZag
02-28-2016, 12:40 PM
http://cl.ly/fGyq/silas-melson.jpg

Superb photo of Silas! THANKS!

ProVeeZag
02-28-2016, 12:44 PM

Agree with all of your points about Silas. Would like to add one more attribute and that would be his excellent vertical leap. That leaping ability combined with his wingspan allows him to play above defenders who are taller than he is. We've all seen this on his lane drives to the hoop. (Maybe not in Clyde Drexler company, but fun to watch nevertheless.) :D

SteelZag
02-28-2016, 07:12 PM

That's a line-up I would love to see also. Melson, Emac and Dranginis all have pretty good hops and can hang with taller opponents. I would like to see the 4 guard lineup used when the Zags are having a tough time getting the ball inside. Get 4 decent ball handlers on the floor and make opponents chase the Zags for awhile.

Zags11
02-28-2016, 07:53 PM
That's a line-up I would love to see also. Melson, Emac and Dranginis all have pretty good hops and can hang with taller opponents. I would like to see the 4 guard lineup used when the Zags are having a tough time getting the ball inside. Get 4 decent ball handlers on the floor and make opponents chase the Zags for awhile.

Athletic backcourt that closes out faster then recent zag teams in my memory bank. Next year will be just as good but with seasoned Perkins and Melson and NWG. I'm not worried bout next year as this years tires have tread.

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Agree with all of your points about Silas. Would like to add one more attribute and that would be his excellent vertical leap. That leaping ability combined with his wingspan allows him to play above defenders who are taller than he is. We've all seen this on his lane drives to the hoop. (Maybe not in Clyde Drexler company, but fun to watch nevertheless.) :D

For sure. Forgot to put that down. He can get up there - high and do it fast.

Zagceo
03-07-2016, 06:38 AM
We need ya more than ever tonight. Good luck Silas

Good article

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/mar/06/blanchette-melson-figures-it-out/

strikenowhere
03-07-2016, 06:46 AM
Melson has definitely turned it around in my eyes

Reborn
03-07-2016, 07:01 AM
I really like this picture of Silas Melson. It's just great to see him smiling these days. He had to overcome a pretty tough year, and he did it. I remember how excited I was to have Silas wearing a Zag uniform, way back before last season. I remember telling the fans here on this forum that a friend of mine had seen him play and that he told me that Silas was the real deal, and that he expected we'd see him in the NBA. Yes, that was two years ago. Well, we all know what happened during the last two years, and how we fans felt pretty disappointed about Silas. But I know we all kept our hope alive during that difficult journey from there to today. I know it has taken great character to overcome that, and Silas is now showing everyone who he really is. He has become a big piece of the puzzle this year, and his success has definitely helped the team to become the team that they are now. I believe that the Zags are ready for all that is coming in the next two days.

Go Zags!!!

gonstu
03-07-2016, 09:30 AM
He's really played well as of late. I hope his confidence and swagger is there tonight - zags need him to get a W. I don't know that the Cougars have an answer to Melson who can both penetrate and knock down 3's. I'll be looking with special interest to see how Melson's first couple shots go. Seems when he gets going early he usually has a great game.

amaronizag
03-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Seems like there is no alternative to playing 4 small for significant periods in the remainder of the WCC. I've been happier with the result this year in limited minutes than in previous years. I'm just worried about getting killed by put backs and offensive boards. Will be interesting to see the GU game plan and how well it's executed. We have to leave plenty in the tank for St Mary's!!!! I like our defense a lot right now and hope our unknown defensive entity Alberts is up to the task and finds his shot in the extended minutes.

Reborn
03-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Seems like there is no alternative to playing 4 small for significant periods in the remainder of the WCC. I've been happier with the result this year in limited minutes than in previous years. I'm just worried about getting killed by put backs and offensive boards. Will be interesting to see the GU game plan and how well it's executed. We have to leave plenty in the tank for St Mary's!!!! I like our defense a lot right now and hope our unknown defensive entity Alberts is up to the task and finds his shot in the extended minutes.

I noticed when re-watching the GU vs BYU game that BYU ran a 4 guard team at times. Zags had Dranginis guarding Austin. and that was a good match-up for Zags.

Go Zags!!!

75Zag
03-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Being from the Portland Metro area and having seen Melson play in high school a few times and at a few other events, I was expecting Melson to be a substantial contributor. He took a lot longer to find himself than I was expecting, but it appears he is on his way to great success.

Go Bulldogs and Go Melson!