PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-25-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm posting this thread a little early so fans can get right on it as soon as possible. It's the biggest game of the year so far. And I can hardly wait. Can we finally get a win when we need one?

Gonzaga 73
BYU 71

We finally get the win we need.

Go Zags!!!

Mantua
02-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Zags ahead 10 at the half and extend it by 15 in the 2nd.

DixieZag
02-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Zags ahead by 6 at the 4:00 minute mark.

BYU 82
Zags: 79

I hope I'm wrong. But, it's BYU's senior night and we haven't won what I consider a big game since UConn. And, during the last 2 big games I thought we would turn it around. We didn't.

I hope I'm wrong.

gonzagafan62
02-25-2016, 09:14 PM
BYU 88
Gonzaga 80

dan71w
02-25-2016, 09:23 PM
foul fest game
Zags 64
dirty team 60

Zags11
02-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Zags 89
BYU 88

gonstu
02-25-2016, 10:09 PM
BYU 80
Zags 70

TravelinZag
02-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Zags, 75-70.

CdAZagFan
02-25-2016, 10:51 PM
BYU can play some atrocious defense at times. We need to really score, rebound well and shut down their 3's. Going to be tough, but doable.

I still believe this game doesn't really matter either way - but just in case all the stars start aligning just perfectly (no surprise conference tournament winners, etc.) it would be great to get a win (probably also needed for morale).

Zagger
02-26-2016, 03:26 AM
If the Zags can play loose ....
Zags 88 - BYU 70
Zags are a good D team - better than BYU. I think we'll see some darn good play Saturday night by Zag guards and another good scoring spread. 5 Zags scored 10 or more points last night. I'm hoping we see 6 Zags with 10+ against BYU. I'm betting one of those with 10+ Saturday will be M2C. Melson is also becoming a big threat for opposing teams. If BYU thinks they can beat the Zags by focusing on Wiltjer & Sabonis ..... won't work.

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 04:01 AM
BYU by 12 in a meaningless game for GU.......say, 90-78.

Reborn
02-26-2016, 04:42 AM
Hey Jazz? If GU wins don't they tie for the Conference Championship? And if they did tie, aren't they considered to be co-champs? To me that's a pretty big deal. I guess I'm still old school about how important I think being a conference champion is. Also if the Zags win and St Mary's loses, wouldn't we be champions of the WCC? That's pretty meaningful to me. I belong to a breed of athletes where every game is meaningful, even the ones at age 68 that I play out on a home-made basketball court in our front yard with my grand children.

I think every time the Zags hit the basketball court the game is meaningful. They know that. They know that the team who is warming up on the other side of the court wants to beat them more than almost every team they play during the year, and for most teams the Zags play it IS the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year. That team over there on the other side is going to give that game every thing they have and MOST LIKELY they will play their best game of the year. I'm so glad that HBO is making a documentary of our beloved Zags. I think we all got a chance to see, in episode one, what the guys feel like after a loss. It was raw and real. I guarantee you one thing. The Zags, each and every one of them feel like this game is meaningful and maybe the most meaningful game of the year. They ARE going to put everything into it. They will leave everything they have tomorrow night on the court. I would say that for the first time in conference play they will not be favored in the game. And they ARE playing for the conference championship!!!!

Go Zags!!!

Zagsker
02-26-2016, 05:20 AM

Would like to understand your reasoning in classifying this game as meaningless for GU

I could see this game being somewhat meaningless if you believe GU only makes the tourney by winning the WCC tourney, but even then GU has the opportunity to still get the #1 seed with a win over BYU (and SMC loss) and potentially avoid BYU and SMC on back to back nights. Also a win at BYU does nothing but aide in our bubble chances

Meaningless? Not so much

strikenowhere
02-26-2016, 05:30 AM
Yeah unfortunately this is a big game and this year's team has shown that they falter in big games -

BYU - 81
Zags - 69

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 05:35 AM
Would like to understand your reasoning in classifying this game as meaningless for GU

I could see this game being somewhat meaningless if you believe GU only makes the tourney by winning the WCC tourney, but even then GU has the opportunity to still get the #1 seed with a win over BYU (and SMC loss) and potentially avoid BYU and SMC on back to back nights. Also a win at BYU does nothing but aide in our bubble chances

Meaningless? Not so much

U answered your own question perfectly..

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 05:37 AM
Hey Jazz? If GU wins don't they tie for the Conference Championship? And if they did tie, aren't they considered to be co-champs? To me that's a pretty big deal. I guess I'm still old school about how important I think being a conference champion is. Also if the Zags win and St Mary's loses, wouldn't we be champions of the WCC? That's pretty meaningful to me. I belong to a breed of athletes where every game is meaningful, even the ones at age 68 that I play out on a home-made basketball court in our front yard with my grand children.

I think every time the Zags hit the basketball court the game is meaningful. They know that. They know that the team who is warming up on the other side of the court wants to beat them more than almost every team they play during the year, and for most teams the Zags play it IS the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year. That team over there on the other side is going to give that game every thing they have and MOST LIKELY they will play their best game of the year. I'm so glad that HBO is making a documentary of our beloved Zags. I think we all got a chance to see, in episode one, what the guys feel like after a loss. It was raw and real. I guarantee you one thing. The Zags, each and every one of them feel like this game is meaningful and maybe the most meaningful game of the year. They ARE going to put everything into it. They will leave everything they have tomorrow night on the court. I would say that for the first time in conference play they will not be favored in the game. And they ARE playing for the conference championship!!!!

Go Zags!!!

Bornie. It's a relative term. Of course its a game (certainly better than last night's joke) and we all will watch and root. Just saying the Zags are in or out of the NCs based on the tourney.....

Zagsker
02-26-2016, 05:40 AM
U answered your own question perfectly..

Isn't a potential 1 seed in the WCC tourney better than 2/3?

LongIslandZagFan
02-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Cougars by at least 10-15.

BYU 85
Zags 70

Zaga
02-26-2016, 05:49 AM
If early foul trouble sits DS and KW won't play both ends of the floor spells Doom. Jazz is correct! Zags need to win the tourney to keep the string alive.

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 05:54 AM
Isn't a potential 1 seed in the WCC tourney better than 2/3?

Not sure....I see Pep, SMC and BYU kinda the same....tough for this Zag team

Zagsker
02-26-2016, 06:05 AM

I could see that...I just fall in the "at large is possible there" crowd and a win at BYU carries some, if ever so little, positive weight.

In some instance a 2 seed may be more advantageous for GU in the WCC tourney, depending on how things shake out...playing PEP would worry me more than say BYU...just for the fact that we have beat them twice and they, much like us vs SMC are a team that falls into the "tough to beat them 3 times" group...although I think we carry a little more psychological barriers for SMC than PEP does for us.

Moral of Zagsker's story....I loved "The Money Pit"

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2016, 06:38 AM
BYU can play some atrocious defense at times. We need to really score, rebound well and shut down their 3's. Going to be tough, but doable.

I still believe this game doesn't really matter either way - but just in case all the stars start aligning just perfectly (no surprise conference tournament winners, etc.) it would be great to get a win (probably also needed for morale).

I am flip-flopping on my earlier opinion Zags should just rest KW and prep for WCC tourney. Beating BYU on their senior night would be a big confidence booster for Zags, and at this point they really need to win a big game so they can believe they can win big games....more big games to come in WCC tourney!

I'm hoping to see Melson and Perkins continue to score more and start carrying this team offensively a little bit. That will take a lot of pressure off KW and Sabonis and completely mess up opponents' gameplan to simply double-post and dare our guards to score.

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Zags 79
BYU 74

rennis
02-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Honestly with the way we've scored lately (making mediocre defenses look like great defenses) I don't see how they come out of that place with a win. If someone other than Silas gets hot from the perimeter (aka a starter, aka KD) Zags can win. Witljer has to show up.

BYU 70 Zags 65

Worthington
02-26-2016, 06:56 AM
BYU 81
Gonzaga 70

Prove me wrong, boys.

RenoZag
02-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Cougars 88
Bulldogs 75

MontanaCoyote
02-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Meaningless? I guess as a player and team there should never be a meaningless game? What SF beats SMC @ Frisco
Saturday night and the Zags find a way to dump BYU? I'm I missing something here?

ZagOD7540
02-26-2016, 08:48 AM
I would like to see Wiltjer lower on the block after his ball screens. He is too far out and when the switch occurs he can't utilize his size down low. A perfect example was last night. He would ball screen and have a tiny guard switch on him but couldn't make a post move because he was too far out. He has to establish himself lower on the block. He MUST look for Sabonis down low. Wiltjer misses him as much as our guards do. Domas has his man sealed or has established terrific post position down low and we miss him! We can't do that against John Smith's boys. As long as Domas stays out of foul trouble we have a great chance. We need to pressure their shooters. Our D seems to be scrambling at times to find who they are defending or what area of the zone they are covering. If we struggle defensively picking their shooters up, it will be a long night. Go Zags! Silas and Dranginis keep firing away without hesitation.

Zagger
02-26-2016, 08:49 AM
..... and other thoughts :)

Winning and losing aside .... these last couple of weeks have been great for a Zag Junkie! The week starts out with the Mark Few show Sunday night on KHQ, Tuesday night it's the Zags on HBO, Thursday night a game then Saturday another game. It's almost Zag sensory overload (not that I'm complaining!). That's 4 Zags stuff on TV in 7 days - last week and again this week. Nirvana :) ...... Then the Mrs. & I are headed off to Vegas for yet another dose of the Zags and all those Zag fans wandering around the Strip. Then there's the (I feel strong) possibility that the Zags play Tuesday night (3/8) while their series is playing on HBO. It's a pretty amazing time to be a Zag fan! Yes, the team is struggling but what the heck, it is certainly not the end of world, passions are high + I'm getting to know the GU program all that much more. Toss in the suspense of whether Shemmick and Domas return for next year ..... at least I know I've got a strong heart! (So far!). Go Zags!

CdAZagFan
02-26-2016, 09:17 AM
We've seen this season where both KW and Domas need to both have good games for us to compete against good teams. Lately, that hasn't been a given - poor shooting nights or foul trouble to one or both could spell trouble. Those two have to play big for us to win this game.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Zags 2-0 vs Pepperdine and 0-3 vs SMC/BYU. Yep, kinda the same.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I would like to see Wiltjer lower on the block after his ball screens. He is too far out and when the switch occurs he can't utilize his size down low. A perfect example was last night. He would ball screen and have a tiny guard switch on him but couldn't make a post move because he was too far out. He has to establish himself lower on the block. He MUST look for Sabonis down low. Wiltjer misses him as much as our guards do. Domas has his man sealed or has established terrific post position down low and we miss him! We can't do that against John Smith's boys. As long as Domas stays out of foul trouble we have a great chance. We need to pressure their shooters. Our D seems to be scrambling at times to find who they are defending or what area of the zone they are covering. If we struggle defensively picking their shooters up, it will be a long night. Go Zags! Silas and Dranginis keep firing away without hesitation.

He gets much deeper than he's been and the double is there too quickly after the catch. The way teams pack the paint against us, it's more difficult than usual to get in clean post entry passes, and even if you get it to the big man, he's shown he will gladly turn the ball over rather than kick it back out. If the guards can hit consistently from 3, which they've done in certain games, the crowded paint issue is alleviated enough to get the bigs closer to the basket.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2016, 09:52 AM

It's definitely not meaningless jazz

gonzagafan62
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
If we just won the game we share the conference title. Pretty meaningful to me.

Mr Vulture
02-26-2016, 10:30 AM
I'd like to think that we will come out and play a great game at BYU. My concern is that I really haven't seen this team show the ability to play solid games back to back. A win here is bigger than many think, IMO. I believe a win in this game will require the Zags to only make the conference title game in order to make the NCAA's. If they lose this game, it is without a doubt, win the tournament or NIT. Truth be told I hold more hope of winning the conference tournament than this game. In fact, I think we do win the conference tournament this year.

My prediction, which I hope is wrong, is BYU 85 and Zags 76.

Coach Crazy
02-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm honestly not sure if we can win this one. But I'll take us in a close one.

Zags 86
Cougs 81

(Also, if anyone has an extra ticket, that will be in town, let me know.)

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Zags are only a one point dog. Somethings fishy in Utah.

bballbeachbum
02-26-2016, 11:18 AM
winning in Provo would do wonders for the Zags confidence and self belief seems to me. for that reason alone it's a huge game
got to keep BYU from getting it going from deep, make them take tough twos, don't over help on the perimeter, and rebound the misses. BYU goes hard to their own O glass
have to match their intensity and not be intimidated. that means making open shots and sticking it in their face, diving on the floor and winning loose balls, and boxing out even as they foul, push, grab, etc. while their fans scream for every call whether they deserve it or not
KW and Domas have to play like the best players on this team that they are...no excuses

Zag365
02-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I have no worry that we will come out with energy and hustle. The question is whether we connect early with decent percentage of our shots. If shots aren't falling, our tentativeness become contagious.

Our other Achilles heal is lack of depth in front court. If Domas gets two fouls in first 10 minutes, it is going to be a looong and difficult night unless Edwards has his game of the year.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2016, 11:53 AM
Anyone got the time for the game tomorrow? Whoohos schedule of destiny states TBA

LongIslandZagFan
02-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Anyone got the time for the game tomorrow? Whoohos schedule of destiny states TBA

ESPN says 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific

ZagaZags
02-26-2016, 12:13 PM

5 PM on ESPN2.

CDC84
02-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Heck, Pacific beat BYU in Provo. Anything's possible.

sullyzag66
02-26-2016, 02:01 PM
If we just won the game we share the conference title. Pretty meaningful to me.

And a #2 seed rather than a #3.

Kiddwell
02-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Edgy, Scared, a rhymed couplet
<ahem>
Zags on the edge; really, The Bubble.
Kiddsters is edgy, thinks he smells trouble.

-------
Zags - 77*
Cougs -77*

:[

<*fearful, no idea>

rennis
02-26-2016, 02:25 PM

They were aggressive and physical. Exactly what GU needs to be tomorrow night. GU needs to put foul pressure early on BYU. It was the difference in Spokane for sure.

jake
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Zags are only a one point dog. Somethings fishy in Utah.

It's 2.5 the places I look, so don't get too worried yet.

Kemo 1966
02-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Tiger fan here. GU takes down Cougars, 76-71, not with their best game, but a yeoman type job.

Norwester
02-26-2016, 05:45 PM
It's not a prediction, but I'd like Silas Melson to knock that package-punching, face-like-a-sex-offender, dress-like-a-sperm Nick Emery on his ass.

That is all.

RenoZag
02-26-2016, 06:29 PM

If only the Zags were underrated and overlooked

Via mobile device

Goshzagit
02-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Down by 7 at half.

Win by 3.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Tiger fan here. GU takes down Cougars, 76-71, not with their best game, but a yeoman type job.

Welcome

raise the zag
02-27-2016, 05:42 AM
If we take care of these (3) things, we win:

1. MAN-UP or Zag-up Kyle Collingsworth. Don't let him dribble to the hoop for wide open layups as he did in Spokane.

2. Sabonis plays more than 15 mins while staying out of foul trouble. Their guards went right at him every possession he was on the floor. Many were phantom calls & perfect position by Domas. How will the refs call the game?

3. I know we'll defend that weasal Emery, but we have to hope/cross fingers/wisb he doesn't continue to make miracle 3's. Ever since he hit the " game winner" 25 foot 3pt shot vs us, he's been taking & making them since that game. His last 5 games he's shooting close to 70% from 3pt & taking Dan Dickau-esque attempts!

Yes, Austin can rebound, Kaufusi can foul, Fischer can hit shots & score in bunches, et al, but the above 3 are key. We were dominating BYU until those 3 things happened.

We contain Emery, keep Sabonis on the floor, & limit Collingsworth, we win by a blowout.

Easier said then done.

RenoZag
02-27-2016, 06:08 AM
It's not a prediction, but I'd like Silas Melson to knock that package-punching, face-like-a-sex-offender, dress-like-a-sperm Nick Emery on his ass.

That is all.

How do you really feel ?

bballbeachbum
02-27-2016, 06:13 AM
got to think Silas, KD and Emac will get the Collinsworth matchup mostly without much perimeter help, much like in Spokane. that D worked pretty well, but the great player Collinsworth is showed as he picked up his D, got a steal and breakaway to start the second half, etc. Zags D'd up BYU pretty well though, denied the 3. I'd bet they go that way on D again and live with the dribble drives and tough twos. BUT cannot capitulate like they did second half vs. SMC when the M2M D allowed easy twos instead of forcing tough twos, and SMC converted. Just running dudes off the 3 point line is not enough, have to also win some of those battles when the dribble drive is forced, and without much perimeter help. Also think Few will mix up his D in the second half, look to keep BYU more off balance to help the defenders, but much harder to rebound out of zones and BYU gos hard to the O glass...a real chess match possibly tonight. Domas has to be smart around the rim too while Edwards hopefully fouls out tonight with 5 real good ones

willandi
02-27-2016, 08:01 AM
This is the first game of the season that I expect the Zags to lose. All the others I was optomistic, but this one...

That being said, they will probably surprise me and stomp BYU, SMC will lose and it will be another WCC crown for the Zags.

amaronizag
02-27-2016, 08:49 AM
As always, we have to run, run, run to beat BYU. We'll need 86 points to win. Can't come out of the chute slow tonight. NO FOULS!! Sabonis has to get out of his rut and back in the free throw making mode. Our bigs will shoot a lot of free throws. Just as Bennett seems to have Few's Mojo, Few seems to have Rose's mojo. Few has his number and Rose has a hard making adjustments that work against us. I think we win a battle by 10 that is much closer than the final score would indicate.

jim77
02-27-2016, 09:04 AM
I think BYU will do what they usually do...ugly up the game. The Zags need to stay focused...and grind it out. We lose, we are the 3rd best team in the WCC...after being swept by the top 2 teams....any at large bid then would go out the window.

Coach Crazy
02-27-2016, 09:15 AM
I know Nick Emery has been hot from 3, but we have to force them into the statistically lower percentage shots. Dribble-drive penetration kills us from a scoreboard perspective, and it puts our big's at risk.

If a team is going to beat you from 3, there really isn't a whole lot you can do without stretching yourself too thin. Continue to feed the post and hope that KW gets out of his slump. If you can get KW and Domas going, hopefully Josh and Silas's increased scoring show up, and Emac and work the lanes and the baseline with his athleticism. We get that, we're good. We don't, game over.

DixieZag
02-27-2016, 09:17 AM
This is the first game of the season that I expect the Zags to lose. All the others I was optomistic, but this one...

That being said, they will probably surprise me and stomp BYU, SMC will lose and it will be another WCC crown for the Zags.

The more ways we can break up the pattern, the better.

DixieZag
02-27-2016, 09:20 AM
I think BYU will do what they usually do...ugly up the game. The Zags need to stay focused...and grind it out. We lose, we are the 3rd best team in the WCC...after being swept by the top 2 teams....any at large bid then would go out the window.

I agree on everything but the last part about 3rd best team. The other teams have laid big eggs against inferior teams, in and out of conference. We haven't. That speaks to something. This team beats itself in big games.

TheZagPhish
02-27-2016, 09:50 AM
In OT, sealed on free throws --

Provo Punchers Club: 81
HBO Film Crew Draggers: 83

jkwhsu
02-27-2016, 10:22 AM
You're absolutely right. A win against a sub-50 RPI will have no impact to the NCAA committee for an at-large bid. We have to win the WCC tournament to get in. A win tonite & winning the WCC tournament might give us a higher seed though.

demian
02-27-2016, 10:26 AM
BYU 75
Gonzaga 66

I don't have any confidence that GU can shoot well enough from the perimeter to win this game on the road in a hostile environment. I like the team and I like there gritty effort and I actually appreciate that they have worked hard all year in all games but they are just real limited offensively and it is the textbook case of "it is what it is". Which is ok. I still like them but I just have seen no evidence that we can shoot it well enough from the perimeter to win these type of games.

Zag_Dad
02-27-2016, 11:42 AM
I get why people are not feeling very confident about the game tonight, but let's not anoint BYU as victors yet. Yes, Gonzaga has failed to close out in a big game so far this year.. BUT, they have put themselves in position to win every game. Yes, BYU is on a roll lately ... BUT it has been against SD, SCU and USF (not exactly powerhouse teams). And, yes, the game is in Provo... the same gym where they lost to Pacific.

I feel like this game is Gonzaga's to lose.

Go get em'

https://youtu.be/1Y-8s8rkiOM

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and risk having my hopes crushed by believing tonight is the night Perkins and Melson stake their claim to becoming the next great Zags backcourt. Big games from both of them tonight and throughout this team's late season surge into NCAA tourney after re-establishing GU's alpha dog status in WCC by winning the conference tourney.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I know Nick Emery has been hot from 3, but we have to force them into the statistically lower percentage shots. Dribble-drive penetration kills us from a scoreboard perspective, and it puts our big's at risk.

hey coach, that's the book generally over the years but the game has evolved, it's changed, and simply collapsing and helping to contain the dribble is what teams want the D to do! Please give us open looks from 3!
and that's not what the Zags have been doing to become good 3 point defenders for the first time ever as a team. instead, they have been forcing the dribble and running guys off the 3 point line and staying home on the perimeter against the good 3 point shooting teams...that's what the Zags have been doing. Frankly, the Zags have ALWAYS been killed by the dribble drive and open look 3 the dribble creates on the collapsing D, always the achilles heel, BUT at least this year's D has not given up the relentless drive and kick 3s while they're caught scrambling around doubling and over helping, etc. the heavy help D also puts everyone out of position to box out and rebound, another issue against a good O board team like BYU. we'll see.
All that said, I'd bet the Zags do use the helpside D in spots and on occasion to challenge the shooters to step up, but leaving guys open from 3 as a plan is no longer considered smart D when trying to contain the dribble against good shooting teams. the philosophies on this have evolved

ZagsGoZags
02-27-2016, 02:41 PM
is the vegas betting line picking the zags to win by 2 or 3 at this time?

jazzdelmar
02-27-2016, 02:44 PM
is the vegas betting line picking the zags to win by 2 or 3 at this time?

BYU by 3ish.

Zagger14
02-27-2016, 02:52 PM

Meaningless? Not so much

It's meaningless cause a win doesn't get them in the big dance.. They know they got to get the automatic bid.

Loss tonight means nothing.

Pallet
02-27-2016, 03:40 PM
BYU by 12, Wiltjer looks exhausted in the second half, barely plays defense. Edwards with no second half minutes.