PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Diego post game thughts

Reborn
02-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Gonzaga 82
San Diego 60

A good win, and a great second half. Zags score close to 50 points the second half. Their offense finally looked Zag-like.

Melson was the leading scorer. He got 18. We need these kids of points from him in the big games. He needs to play like this vs BYU. The Zags really shot poorly from the beyond the 3 pt line actually. They were 5-16. Wiltjer just 0-1. He got 16 points and none from the 3 pt line. Melson was 2-3 and Perkins was 2-3. We shot pretty good from the foul line, 21-27. Sabonis was 1-4 and Wiltjer 6-6. Melson was 6-7 and Dranginis 4-5. Nice guys.

If San Diego hadn't hit 4-5 threes with 2 minutes to go in the game against our SECOND team, the Zags was have held them to 50 points. Real good defense. The other thing that needs to be said is that BYU only beat San Diego by two points last Thursday @ San Diego.

Zags did what they needed to do. I thought the game was really physical by San Diego. Refs may have called one-third of the fouls. I did not like that game, and I'm so glad no body got hurt. It's one thing to be a lously team and quite another to be a lousy team who is really dirty. And on the other hand the Zags get called for fouls if they breathed on San Diego. I really hate WCC refs.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Am I one of the few that is glad we didn't do so well whims the arc tonight? We need to go back to pounding it inside. Hopefully that turns out season around

Zagger
02-26-2016, 03:08 AM
The spread out scoring impressed me. SD played the Zags pretty hard - it wasn't easy shooting. It took awhile before the Zags found a flow. TOs in the 1st half were worrisome but the 2nd half was played well. Melson was hot. Drano & Perks combined for 22 & 3 teammates scored more than they did. Good team effort. Triano with a 3 + Alberts looked like a kid possessed - maybe not in a real good way but it was great for me to see that sort of life in Albert's play. Bryan may yet be another 10+ point factor in a game this year. Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
02-26-2016, 03:58 AM
Except for some nice shooting by SM I wouldn't draw much confidence from a game against arguably the worst team in college basketball.

RenoZag
02-26-2016, 04:49 AM
Jim Meehan game story:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2016/feb/25/zags-rout-usd-82-60/

Gonzaga has followed its last 12 losses with victories, a span of 75 games dating back to February 2014.

“Great response,” coach Mark Few said. “It was a tough week for the guys. We pushed and prodded and tried to get them back playing the way we were playing prior to (Saint Mary’s) last Saturday. I’m so proud of them for that (because) it’s not easy.”

Gonzaga, which has won or shared 14 of the last 15 WCC titles, faces BYU (22-8, 13-4) in Provo on Saturday. A victory would give the Zags (22-7, 14-3) at least a co-championship. A loss drops Gonzaga to the third seed at the WCC tournament. Saint Mary’s (23-4, 14-3) visits San Francisco on Saturday.

“Right where we’re supposed to be,” said senior guard Kyle Dranginis, who contributed 12 points and three assists. “And it’s still not going to be easy. We have a tough one Saturday but we’re going to be ready to fight and come out swinging.”

Reborn
02-26-2016, 04:56 AM
Thanks Reno. I always enjoy reading Jim's articles.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Except for some nice shooting by SM I wouldn't draw much confidence from a game against arguably the worst team in college basketball.

Yeah..happy to see Silas continue to shoot well and be the lead scorer and also good to see Perkins and Dranginis score in double digits, but this was just an easy WCC game to get mentally right for the real games ahead.

What surprised me from box score was the team had 10 assists and 12 turnovers with Sabonis having four of those turnovers. EVERY team here on out will continue to double the posts hard, so KW and Sabonis gotta make better/quicker decisions and the guards have to keep scoring to make defense pay.

Congrats to Silas. I can see Melson and Perkins enjoying a growth spurt in postseason play and taking this team to the next level together!!!

vandalzag
02-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Agreed. Hopefully they have the breakout on Saturday.

Zagceo
02-26-2016, 07:49 AM
I thought the game was really physical by San Diego. Refs may have called one-third of the fouls. I did not like that game, and I'm so glad no body got hurt. It's one thing to be a lously team and quite another to be a lousy team who is really dirty. And on the other hand the Zags get called for fouls if they breathed on San Diego. I really hate WCC refs.

Exhibit A proving your point. This ended up being a turnover against Domas.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%208.37.39%20AM_zpslivlx4v5.png

DixieZag
02-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Agreed. Hopefully they have the breakout on Saturday.

If we come out of the chute in Provo the way we did in San Diego, we'll be behind by 20 at the half.

Fortunately, I expect them to come out fighting.

Whether they come out fighting loose, or come out fighting tight, is the big question.

vandalzag
02-26-2016, 07:56 AM

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%208.37.39%20AM_zpslivlx4v5.png

Great pic. Reborn is right, only way the D3 team that is USD stays close to GU is by mugging them and getting away with it. Domas could have shot 10 more FT last net. But it has been like that all year for Domas. To his credit he no longer lets it get to him. Look for more of the same from our friends in Provo on Saturday.

Zagceo
02-26-2016, 08:15 AM
After Domas made that dunk in transition…..at the next time out he went to the ref and gestured watch for the push in the back. Maturing

bballbeachbum
02-26-2016, 08:19 AM

I missed some of the beginning of the game, but again I do not remember the Zags reposting Domas. And KW was mostly not doubled last night, interestingly

Zagger
02-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Great pic. Reborn is right, only way the D3 team that is USD stays close to GU is by mugging them and getting away with it. Domas could have shot 10 more FT last net. But it has been like that all year for Domas. To his credit he no longer lets it get to him. Look for more of the same from our friends in Provo on Saturday.
If that is the case ..... refs a no show on fouls against the Zags in Provo ..... I'll bet we see a VERY HEATED Few - maybe even get a Technical. There is simply no justification for not calling fouls made against Sabonis (or anyone else). Aggressive play is one thing. Mugging a player is something else.

DixieZag
02-26-2016, 08:27 AM
If that is the case ..... refs a no show on fouls against the Zags in Provo ..... I'll bet we see a VERY HEATED Few - maybe even get a Technical. There is simply no justification for not calling fouls made against Sabonis (or anyone else). Aggressive play is one thing. Mugging a player is something else.

I've said all year that Few getting tossed in the middle of a huge game where the team is tight is the best thing Few could do.

I totally agree with you that he needs to protect Domas. He should walk straight up to the 3 of them before the game (I've seen it happen), tell them he's tired of his guy getting tag-teamed every game, that BYU is well known for "physical play" and just very respectfully ask them to ensure it doesn't happen in that game.

Coach Crazy
02-26-2016, 08:52 AM
I've said all year that Few getting tossed in the middle of a huge game where the team is tight is the best thing Few could do.

I totally agree with you that he needs to protect Domas. He should walk straight up to the 3 of them before the game (I've seen it happen), tell them he's tired of his guy getting tag-teamed every game, that BYU is well known for "physical play" and just very respectfully ask them to ensure it doesn't happen in that game.

And X gets the Square...

Zagceo
02-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Playing through contact…….getting ready for Sat night Provo brawl

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%209.59.58%20AM_zps2rg5ewmm.png

gonstu
02-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Was there last night - as said by others, Sabonis gets beat up. Especially early on in the game he was getting fouled and no calls. The 4 TOs is a little misleading - I think two of those were traveling calls.

After game, took my kids to the team bus to see players walk out (I wanted to go home, but all 3 kids begged to meet them). We have done this a few other times after USD games. Every time I walk away completely impressed with what nice guys they seem to be. Very receptive to meeting fans who are there, very appreciative and thanking zag fans for coming to support and willing to entertain signatures and even photos with fans. I'm grateful for them being such gracious human beings with little kids wanting to meet them.

They were all super nice, but we walked away with a special new outlook on E-Mac who we never met before. With the other players, my sons had to walk over into their path, ask for autograph/pic - but E-Mac made a bee-line to my kids as soon as he saw them and their Go Zags signs. My boys got a kick out of him saying "What's up bro? Can I take a picture with you?" (before they even asked him). It was really neat for them and they were still talking about it this morning. A funny moment when they forgot to ask for his autograph but he headed to the team bus - Coach Michaelson noticed this and then yelled out to E-Mac who was getting onto the bus "Eric! Come back and sign this!" - as if headed for a breakaway dunk, he ran back to the kids and gave them his sig w/ a smile on his face. He just might be their new favorite. We also loved it when they were taking a pic w/ Triano and Dranginis snuck in and photobombed the pic to join them. All in all a late but great night for our family of zag fanatics.

BavarianZag
02-26-2016, 10:06 AM
http://img.ksl.com/slc/2580/258072/25807293.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery The headlock pic

From our last game against BYU. Remembering this was called a tie-up (but could be wrong). Either way, it's meant to illustrate just how much abuse Domas takes.

vandalzag
02-26-2016, 10:31 AM
http://img.ksl.com/slc/2580/258072/25807293.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery The headlock pic

From our last game against BYU. Remembering this was called a tie-up (but could be wrong). Either way, it's meant to illustrate just how much abuse Domas takes.

http://www.shenandoahtruth.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Nothing-to-See.jpeg
The Refs when watching Domas

scott257
02-26-2016, 10:40 AM
It probably goes without saying, but Domas is going to have to play both tough and smart for us to pull out a win on Saturday. The team looked loose and relaxed last night and they appeared to be having fun. I hope they bring that to the game Saturday and think about how nice it would be to ruin senior night for BYU.

2wiceright
02-26-2016, 10:41 AM

That is just unfriggen believable!!! That is a prime example of how much we miss Shem. Domas is tough as nails, but doubt this clown would dare to try a headlock on our gentle giant!!! This sums up our season and shows so much growth and class from Domas- keeping his cool, knowing any retaliation or stupid foul on his part would just hurt the team. Him and Wiltjer have to be exhausted with the minutes and physicality (abuse) they have taken to give this group a "chance"- night after night. Thank God our guards are finally stepping up (still need just one guard to have the stones to take the big shot at the end of a 1 point game- no one except our big two have shown they have the confidence). I still have a hard time figuring out how incompetent some of these refs are! End of rant!!! Beat BYU (do or die).... Which team will show up???

2wiceright
02-26-2016, 10:43 AM
http://www.shenandoahtruth.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Nothing-to-See.jpeg
The Refs when watching Domas

Too funny Vandlezag!!!!!!!

Lewey
02-26-2016, 03:29 PM
The other thing that needs to be said is that BYU only beat San Diego by two points last Thursday @ San Diego.

But Saturday in the rematch, BYU won 91-33! So on average BYU won by 30. I didn't see either, but just an incredible difference between the two games.

Jstock12
02-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Playing through contact…….getting ready for Sat night Provo brawl

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%209.59.58%20AM_zps2rg5ewmm.png

WOW! And here I was thinking he was having a terrible shooting night.

LouisianaZag
02-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Was there last night - as said by others, Sabonis gets beat up. Especially early on in the game he was getting fouled and no calls. The 4 TOs is a little misleading - I think two of those were traveling calls.

After game, took my kids to the team bus to see players walk out (I wanted to go home, but all 3 kids begged to meet them). We have done this a few other times after USD games. Every time I walk away completely impressed with what nice guys they seem to be. Very receptive to meeting fans who are there, very appreciative and thanking zag fans for coming to support and willing to entertain signatures and even photos with fans. I'm grateful for them being such gracious human beings with little kids wanting to meet them.

They were all super nice, but we walked away with a special new outlook on E-Mac who we never met before. With the other players, my sons had to walk over into their path, ask for autograph/pic - but E-Mac made a bee-line to my kids as soon as he saw them and their Go Zags signs. My boys got a kick out of him saying "What's up bro? Can I take a picture with you?" (before they even asked him). It was really neat for them and they were still talking about it this morning. A funny moment when they forgot to ask for his autograph but he headed to the team bus - Coach Michaelson noticed this and then yelled out to E-Mac who was getting onto the bus "Eric! Come back and sign this!" - as if headed for a breakaway dunk, he ran back to the kids and gave them his sig w/ a smile on his face. He just might be their new favorite. We also loved it when they were taking a pic w/ Triano and Dranginis snuck in and photobombed the pic to join them. All in all a late but great night for our family of zag fanatics.

I enjoy reading about how the Zags handle themselves with their fans especially young kids. I get the impression that we have great kids playing on this Zag team and this just reinforces that belief. Thanks for the post

whatazag
02-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Gonzaga just seems to attract extremely high quality young men transferring in. Same story with Wesley last year, and by reports the guys we have redshirting this year.