PDA

View Full Version : court storming?

seacatfan
02-25-2016, 10:46 AM
How often does this happen against the Zags? I didn't see clips til this morning, but last night's game Arizona @ Colorado got ugly. CU fans were on the floor instantaneously when the buzzer sounded, several Arizona players had to cross the width of the court to get back to their bench with a wave of fans around them. There was quite a bit of physical contact with at least 2 of the Cats players getting bumped or pushed. Coach Miller went on a tirade after the game. Apparently this is typical--in 11 of their last 12 road losses they've had the court stormed. I didn't realize it was that bad, I can see why he's getting tired of it. I know GU is the biggest home game for everybody in the WCC, can't really remember court stormings too often though.

Coach Crazy
02-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Court storming should be a rarity. Millennials have turned it into something insignificant, now. I'd rather see people not allowed to do it for a while.

Bogozags
02-25-2016, 11:04 AM
With regards to Coach Miller not liking it, all he has to do is win!

We lost at SMC and I believe they stormed the court...when we lost to Portland a couple of years ago, didn't they also storm the court???

Win, baby win...

sittingon50
02-25-2016, 11:14 AM

We lost at SMC and I believe they stormed the court...when we lost to Portland a couple of years ago, didn't they also storm the court???

Win, baby win...

I don't think any Coach really cares if the opposing fans storm the court. What they do care about is the safety of their players. Been plenty of instances of fans throwing punches on their way by an opponent. Figure the anonymity protects them. There have also been instances of player's retaliating. If the home team's facilities personnel are prepared, there shouldn't be any issues.

Hoopaholic
02-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Let the kids enjoy the atmosphere

sullyzag66
02-25-2016, 11:34 AM

Win, baby win...

Correct on all counts.

MTZag03
02-25-2016, 11:56 AM
It happens with most road losses in conference. Thankfully there haven't been that many over the last few years. I don't like it at all.

seacatfan
02-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Just win? Nobody in any halfway decent conference can expect to go undefeated in road games on a regular basis. Let's try to be real.

Correct, Miller is concerned about the safety of his players. Let the visiting team get off the court first. It also destroys the opportunity for the players and coaching staff to go thru the handshake line, which is considered good sportsmanship.

Zagdawg
02-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Court storming etiquette rule?

Section 116
02-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Court or field storming could cost up to $250,000 in the SEC:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12977211/sec-passes-tougher-fines-court-storming

jazzdelmar
02-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Kids pay $50K a year to enjoy this passage. Just protect the visiting team by cordoning off a path to the locker room and let the kids have fun. Hand shake line is a minor casualty.

Hoopaholic
02-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Kids pay $50K a year to enjoy this passage. Just protect the visiting team by cordoning off a path to the locker room and let the kids have fun. Hand shake line is a minor casualty.

plain and simple......

JAGzag
02-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Thankfully we've lost all those home games.

Mantua
02-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Thankfully we've lost all those home games.

Lol.

willandi
02-29-2016, 07:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14871538/sec-fines-vanderbilt-commodores-100k-fans-rushing-court

seacatfan
02-29-2016, 08:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14871538/sec-fines-vanderbilt-commodores-100k-fans-rushing-court

The tv commentator during that game was spewing some crap about SEC teams getting one free pass and a warning with a court storming before they got fined. I thought it sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about. And apparently he didn't. Also the threat of a large fine apparently isn't enough to guarantee that a school can keep its fans off the court after a game. Calipari smelled it coming and pulled all his starters the last 30 seconds or so and sent them to the locker room. When the horn sounded it was just Calipari and 5 scrubs on the floor that he was willing to sacrifice.

seacatfan
02-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Also Arizona lost a conference road game on Saturday...and the court was not stormed. Good for Utah's fans acting like they've actually won a few games before. Ain't no big thing. Court storming is WAY overrated.