PDA

View Full Version : New ESPN Broadcasting Method on SMC/GU and Others?

CdAZagFan
02-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Watching Washington at Oregon State - they're having all kinds of technical difficulties, but at one point announcers said they were in Bristol. Fan noise has been muted and almost monotone the entire game. I was at the SMC-GU game and didn't record the broadcast but noticed many people making comments on this board about how the crowd noise wasn't up to par at the Kennel. Rumor has it that the SMC-GU game was also done with off-site broadcasters and ESPN is testing out this new process.

Was that true? I believe remote broadcasters lack the emotion and the familiarity with the teams to bring much enthusiasm to the broadcast...

seacatfan
02-24-2016, 09:06 PM
I hope it isn't a trend. Lame if it is. Saves travel costs for the network but you're right, misses all the excitement and atmosphere of being there. If they aren't going to bother trying, ESPN should let Pac 12 Network handle all of the conference games.

Zagceo
02-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Tennis has been doing it for a while ....but they are in LA and matches are all over the world.

The do it live and the announcers are up front about being in studio and I have no issues with it

Zagceo
02-24-2016, 09:12 PM
I worked in post in the 80's when Beach Volleyball started broadcasting.

The announcers would come in once a week and record Play by play for that weekends tourney as if they were live. Big difference.

Just looked it up.Beach vollyball is celebrating its 33rd year of existent this year. Who knew.

CdAZagFan
02-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Reminds me of watching those re-broadcasts of games from the 1980s. I'm afraid more west coast basketball would be handled this way. So much better to have announcers that cover the conference and have in-depth and inside knowledge of the situations. Sad if true.

Zagceo
02-24-2016, 09:32 PM
I'd vote for Chick Hearn type Simulcast w/ Huddy and Matt sitting Courtside.

seacatfan
02-24-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm sure Bill Walton would be more than happy to do a live on location broadcast of every Pac 12 game. Don't know how he would pull it off when there are 2 games happening simultaneously though.

sullyzag66
02-25-2016, 02:39 AM
I'm sure Bill Walton would be more than happy to do a live on location broadcast of every Pac 12 game. Don't know how he would pull it off when there are 2 games happening simultaneously though.

He's Bill Walton. Even if he couldn't do it, he'd say he did.

Zagger
02-25-2016, 02:53 AM
Got me thinking ..... how about a student from each school who knows their team - on site, not remote? If they don't want to send people to games then do something interesting. Give each kid an iPad each loaded with stats, noise canceling headsets, etc. Might be interesting :)

willandi
02-25-2016, 05:03 AM
There already are broadcast teams, on site, from each school. We may grumble about them, but I think using the local talen with ESPN picking up the feed would be better and save the travel money. Or they can assign ESPN crews to the west, cutting out the coast to coast travel altogether.

ConnZag3
02-25-2016, 06:20 AM
Got me thinking ..... how about a student from each school who knows their team - on site, not remote? If they don't want to send people to games then do something interesting. Give each kid an iPad each loaded with stats, noise canceling headsets, etc. Might be interesting :)

The Big Ten Network actually does this already once in a while for early season contests with overmatched teams. They call it Student U where they have university students announce the game. It makes sense when the game isn't one that a lot of people will be watching.

And ESPN has done this a few times already this season with the remote broadcasts. They broadcast the UConn/Temple game a couple weeks ago from a studio in Orlando. Makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't want to send your crew to the game, sell the broadcast rights to someone who will!

TheGonzagaFactor
02-25-2016, 06:25 AM

I'll take the remote professional broadcasters, thank you.

ChicagoZag
02-25-2016, 06:45 AM
One thing that I noticed on last Saturday's broadcast, the picture for that game was particularly dim. Anyone else notice that?

vandalzag
02-25-2016, 06:51 AM
There already are broadcast teams, on site, from each school. We may grumble about them, but I think using the local talen with ESPN picking up the feed would be better and save the travel money. Or they can assign ESPN crews to the west, cutting out the coast to coast travel altogether.

ESPN is all about the money. If they can save a couple bucks by reducing travel costs they will. They will also not spend money on local talent when they can have a pair of announcers who are already being paid do multiple games from a central location. The way they are cutting costs at ESPN we will be lucky if the broadcast does not consist of a webcam on a tripod.

GoZags
02-25-2016, 06:56 AM
While my strong preference would be to have the broadcasters actually in the gym ... I DO have to point out that my alltime favorite sports broadcaster is rarely present at the games he calls. He stays in the "Telemundo" studios.

Here's a quick link to Andres Cantor calling all 5 US goals in the World Cup final. It appears Telemundo has figured out a way to incorporate crowd noise with remote broadcasts ...

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/listen-to-all-five-u-s-goals-as-called-by-telemundos-a-1715908057

PS ... and I don't even hablo any espanol.

DixieZag
02-25-2016, 07:07 AM
Can people at the game (I was not there) confirm whether the announcers were at the game or not?

sittingon50
02-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Can people at the game (I was not there) confirm whether the announcers were at the game or not?

They were not.

DixieZag
02-25-2016, 07:57 AM
They were not.

Thx.

When watching past games involving other teams I have noticed during broadcasts that they were not there. I did not notice during this broadcast, almost surely b/c I was way too focused on the game, but it's maybe possible they're getting better at it.

gueastcoast
02-25-2016, 08:08 AM
willandi

ESPN already does this with its College Sports Extra channels. I've been getting quite a few (although not all, including tonight's USD game -- grrr) of non-ESPN/ESPN2 (i.e., the ESPN 360 games) on Colelge Sports Extra, where they are using the Root announcers. Not sure why you wouldn't default to another option (local/other network, if possible) vs. Bristol. Of course, it's about the money.