PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Diego...Predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-24-2016, 03:42 PM
The questions I ask myself is what kind of a fan am I. Do I stick with the boys and have the courage to believe in them still or just abandon ship. I'm not a quitter and I never have been. I give thanks to my mom for that one. It's just not in me to quit now. Things look pretty bad for the boys, and maybe now is really the time to rally behind our team. Maybe they need us more, us fans, more than any other time in the 18 years. I was a pretty good player in my day, and I was often helped out of a funk by some fan....usually my brother. There were fickle fans, of course. There always is. I've had some really ####ty things said to me once or twice after a loss. I understand that people don't like losing, but there comes a time when it's time to rally behind the boys. And the time is now. This is the biggest weekend of the year, and we really need to out of this weekend with two wins, and we can do it.

I'm not abandoning the ship. I'm not jumpin. I'm hangin with 'em all the way. Loving on them. Cheering on them. Fighting right along with them. WE CAN DO IT. I'm getting myself pumped up and hoping you get pumped up too. Let's stand together as ZagNation as we always have, standing tall for our boys, The Gonzaga Bulldogs! Go! Fight! Win!

Here's my prediction:

Gonzaga 72
San Diego 60

We only need to win by one.

Go Zags!!!

zag67
02-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Win Big and rest our bigs. Good luck GU

Zags11
02-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Zags 88
SD 64

MDABE80
02-24-2016, 05:00 PM
I would rest this team as much as possible. I'd let Wiltjer sit if his ankle is hurting him and limits his play. I'd let Edwards sink or swim. Seems like the guards are doing fine.......Josh included. It's those bigs we need to be rested and firing on all cylinders.

Reborn
02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
I really don't think you're going to see Few resting anyone. The game isn't played that way, and I've never seen Few coach that way. Maybe he'll get in foul trouble.

MDABE80
02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Bad ankle and all you expect full throttle? Do you REALLY? Might be better to give this kid a break and hope he recovers enough for the harder contests around the corner like BYU and the tournament coming up. .

Zagger
02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Zags 88
SD 64
I'll go with this one too. Good Zag D and lots of Zags score.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Gonzaga 71
San Diego 70

Reborn
02-24-2016, 07:30 PM
Did Few ever rest Pangos when he had that horrible toe injury? No. And I doubt that Pangos wanted to be rested. It's just the way it is with top-flight athletes. Pangos was a real warrior that year, and he showed all Zag fans what it meant to be a Zag I think. He was not going to be responsible for breaking that streak. Pangos was a special player, imo.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Did Few ever rest Pangos when he had that horrible toe injury? No. And I doubt that Pangos wanted to be rested. It's just the way it is with top-flight athletes. Pangos was a real warrior that year, and he showed all Zag fans what it meant to be a Zag I think. He was not going to be responsible for breaking that streak. Pangos was a special player, imo.

Yup agreed. Stepp always played through injury, so did gray, Sabonis just to name a few. Zags play.

I think what they're meaning is rest them if we are up 25+, not necessarily when game is in doubt.

RenoZag
02-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Zags 67
Toreros 58

And prayers no one else gets dinged up.

ZagaZags
02-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Gonzaga 81

USD 55

gonstu
02-24-2016, 09:32 PM
zags score 70+, they win.

Reborn
02-25-2016, 05:57 AM
It's Game Day. The best day of the week.

There's no time like now! Time to get 'er going Zags. The Road to March Madness begins tonight. Let's make it a smooth one. I hope ALL of Zag Nation is rising up and getting behind you all tonight.

Go Zags!

TacomaZAG
02-25-2016, 06:14 AM
This should be a beat down, USD is just really bad. In the big scheme of things for this year (making the Dance and keeping the streak alive), a victory tonight is expected and a victory on Saturday against BYU would be nice for momentum going into the WCC Tourney, but won't change anything in terms of seeding. Unless SMC lays a serious egg this weekend, the ZAGS will be seeded either #2 or #3 in the WCC Tourney, and will have to beat both BYU and SMC in the Tourney to get the auto-bid into the Dance.

So, if there are any injuries, get them healed up as much as possible for Vegas regardless of the results for these last two conference games. The conference championship is most likely out of reach (barring a collapse from SMC), so the program needs to focus on the remaining goals for the season, and that is a WCC Tourney championship and to make the Dance. Obviously, the auto-bid gets them in, as does a close loss in the Tourney Finals (IMHO).

There is nothing to be gained from these last two conference games, so everyone needs to look at the big picture. I agree that pretty much ALL athletes want to play, regardless of injury, so it is up to the coaching staff to sit them when there are bigger fish to fry. And there are definitely bigger fish to fry than USD tonight.............

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
02-25-2016, 08:04 AM
We struggle in the first half looking toward Sat, win going away in the second.

I would really like to think that Few gives a "Pre-Weekend" speech as to how much he loves and believes in these guys and then just affirmatively states that the team is going on a run, period. This team has plenty of talent to win this conference. They simply need to play well together, that takes believing in themselves and it starts up top.

I agree, Few will not rest KW or anyone. He might well be right in his decision. I would rest KW and the difference between Stepp and Pangos was that neither of those guys' injuries were going to improve substantially enough to justify it. KW - from what we hear - has a rolled ankle. I'm not a PT nor Ortho, but I've had one of those and they get stronger through each day of treatment, and weaker each time it's rolled even a fraction. But, I'm not the one down in the locker.

77Zag
02-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Zags 84
Toreros 69

Go Zags --

Coach Crazy
02-25-2016, 01:06 PM
I predict that the NCAA will let Zach and Zack play, and we will win by eleventy hundred points, and then be granted an automatic bid in the Dance...because we were the first to score eleventy hundred.

Zags11
02-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I predict that the NCAA will let Zach and Zack play, and we will win by eleventy hundred points, and then be granted an automatic bid in the Dance...because we were the first to score eleventy hundred.

Lol.

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-25-2016, 01:52 PM
USD will keep the ball for 29.98 secs. every possession and make this a grinder.

The Zags could be looking ahead to Saturday in Provo... I hope not, but 18-22 year olds could do that.

USD lost at home last Thursday to BYU by TWO

Zags are 4-6 in games decided by 5 points or less... so if this game is a grinder, a small margin of victory could come into play.

Zags - 63
Jenny Craiggers - 58

Kiddwell
02-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Praying for Win, a poem of desperation :pray::pray:
<ahem>
Zags vs. Toreros,
Backs to the wall,
Beat 'em in ste-RER-O's,
Zags, give yer all!

-------
Zags - Stereo Eights
Toreros - Six & Eight

:]

Mr Vulture
02-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Zags huge in this one. I'm thinking 30+ with Edwards, Alberts, and the walk ons getting good play

Reborn
02-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Some real good predictions. Good to see guys sticking with the Zags. I'm glad the Zags did better I predicted on offense. Defense was good too. If San Diego hadn't hit 4 3 pt shots against our second team we may have held them to 50 pts which would have been great.

I think the Zags got 50 points the second half. They did look Zag like in that second half.