PDA

View Full Version : WCC Tournament

raise the zag
02-22-2016, 07:38 AM
IF St Mary's wins out, they win the League, thus #1 seed heading to WCC Tourney.

IF BYU beats us, we will drop to the #3 seed as BYU would own the tie-breaker.

Even if we beat BYU in Provo and St Mary's wins out (which is probable), we are the #2 seed.

Either way you cut it, we will be playing BYU in the Semi-finals (#2 vs #3, or vice versa) and most likely face St Mary's in the Championship.

BYU has averaged 95 pts in their last 3 games, and Nick Emery has been averaging 25 ppg and around 60% from 3pt.

Point is, we will be asked to beat BYU AND SMC to win the League Tournament….and to get in the NCAA's.

Tough luck.

It might be possible, but not highly plausible, as this team looks exhausted trying to muster the Saturday game after playing on Thursday.

Can we beat both BYU and St Mary's in Vegas, because all odds point to the fact we'll be playing them.

FWIW, we have never faced both of them in Vegas, ANY year/team, this would be tough task...

gonzagafan62
02-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Only way we win this thing is if We eat BYU and Pepperdine upsets SMC.

willandi
02-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Zags are still in the top 30 BPI and KenPom and 26 Sagarin.

Maybe the professionals know something we don't! Forest, trees and all that. Maybe not, Palm disagrees, but that's a wimpy tree.

ZagLawGrad
02-22-2016, 08:19 AM
I don't see this team beating BYU and SMC on successive nights.

But, funnier things have happened.

Reborn
02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Zags are still in the top 30 BPI and KenPom and 26 Sagarin.

Maybe the professionals know something we don't! Forest, trees and all that. Maybe not, Palm disagrees, but that's a wimpy tree.

It helps to have no bad losses.

Go Zags!!!

AlwaysZagFan
02-22-2016, 09:34 AM
ZagLawGrad, please check your PMs. Thank you.

Zagger
02-23-2016, 05:40 AM
What's the story on the pre-purchased WCC tickets through GU? I changed my main email address about a month ago and didn't update my GU contact information, so didn't get the email of last week.

23zagmd
02-23-2016, 07:17 AM
basically, the League is late getting tickets out and they will be at will call in Spokane or in Vegas for you to pick up.
What's the story on the pre-purchased WCC tickets through GU? I changed my main email address about a month ago and didn't update my GU contact information, so didn't get the email of last week.

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
I think it is a big assumption that SMC gets past Pepperdine.

Zagdawg
02-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Eric McClellan ‏@EasyMcClellan 21h21 hours ago
My whole team is either sick or has pink eye. What's going on??!������stay away from Zags MBB.����

Zagger
02-23-2016, 07:36 AM
basically, the League is late getting tickets out and they will be at will call in Spokane or in Vegas for you to pick up.

For Spokane pickup will they be at McCarthey?

I'm EXTRA anxious this year to see the Vegas games. Even though it's tough seeing the Zags lose games I'm happy to see WCC play get more competitive. I wish Pacific could be in Vegas. I believe we'll see some of the best Zag play ever in the Vegas games as I'm positive they hate losing games more than we do. I don't think we'll see a single Zag not giving his best efforts in Vegas.

Zagger
02-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Eric McClellan ‏@EasyMcClellan 21h21 hours ago
My whole team is either sick or has pink eye. What's going on??!������stay away from Zags MBB.����

Crap! If we were in southern latitudes those symptoms may not fare well .....
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/symptoms/

The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes). Other common symptoms include muscle pain and headache. The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) for Zika virus disease is not known, but is likely to be a few days to a week.

CdAZagFan
02-23-2016, 07:54 AM
We had one bad game against St. Mary's - go back and watch the first game, and watch the first game against BYU (regardless of what happens this Saturday). Not sure why so many feel we can't beat either and/or both of these teams - especially on a neutral floor? What a way to go into the Big Dance - by defeating both of these teams! And like someone said earlier, it isn't a given that St. Mary's waltzes past Pepperdine (I don't even think it is given that they waltz past USF this weekend).

Am a little bothered by Emac's tweet however - we need them to be healthy.

MDABE80
02-23-2016, 08:43 AM
If Emac's statement was true, I doubt we'd be playing. It's very contagious.

MileHigh
02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't know about the rest of the team, but JP was on an anti-biotic for Pink Eye during the St. Marys game........based on how he shot the ball, maybe he should use those drops even when he doesn't have pink eye!

Goshzagit
02-23-2016, 09:25 AM
So, if we beat BYU, we secure the #2 seed and a bye.

If we lose to BYU, we drop to the #3 seed.

Question is...does the #3 seed get a early-round bye as the 2 & 3 do??

Or will we be potentially asked to play 4 games in 5 days, instead of 3?

Haven't seen this mentioned once. I thought the #3 seed plays an extra game but it seems they change the format every year, so uncertain...

CDC84
02-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Here is the WCC tourney bracket, which factors in Pacific's non-participation:

https://wcc-platform-secure-prod.silverchalice.co/v3/files/56a118fce4b0223f2aaf6e03

The Zags will be playing 3 games in 4 days.....

Same goes for the team that lands the top seed.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether GU gets the 2nd or 3rd seed. They will stay have to face BYU if both teams reach the semis.

zagbeliever
02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
What's the story on the pre-purchased WCC tickets through GU? I changed my main email address about a month ago and didn't update my GU contact information, so didn't get the email of last week. They are available now in Spokane at ticket office. We got ours today

sullyzag66
02-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Here is the WCC tourney bracket, which factors in Pacific's non-participation:

https://wcc-platform-secure-prod.silverchalice.co/v3/files/56a118fce4b0223f2aaf6e03

The Zags will be playing 3 games in 4 days.....

Same goes for the team that lands the top seed.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether GU gets the 2nd or 3rd seed. They will stay have to face BYU if both teams reach the semis.

As a #3 seed they'd be playing at 1:00 PM on Saturday, so Zag fans will have to be up early (we're talking about Vegas) and no ESPN. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Last year #6 Portland beat #3 St. Mary's in a relatively quiet arena at 1:00 PM.