• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bouldin4Prez
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Nov 2009

Josh Perkins

Just want to start a thread showing my appreciation for the young man. He has really picked it up lately. My prediction for Josh is if he stays all four years, he will be an All-American. We have seen the flashes all year but I truly believe he got turned onto some bad habits during his time at Huntington Prep. I don't mind the flashy passes one bit, it's the always looking for a home run play and the loose dribble that got him into trouble. Slowly but surely he has started to just play basketball again and he is darn good at it.

Stat for Josh over the last 4 games: 27 assists, 6 TO's while shooting 37% from 3.
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Pocket Perkins………….love to see Moore of those.

"Perkins to Sabonis"………love hearing that from Huddy.

Game has slowed down for him.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

'bout time perkins got his own thread...especially since he's been such a lighting rod for debate in just about every other thread. don't expect anything less as this thread progresses. i've mentioned this before, but perkins really needs to develop a reliable floater since he doesn't have the size/athleticism to finish at the rim consistently.

one thing i've picked up that really bugs me...why the heck does perkins always take two hands off the ball and raise it in his right hand like the freakin' statue of liberty every single time he has a fast break opportunity?!?!?! the only people i know who ever do that only do it because they aren't very good at dunking (can't elevate enough to finish with two hands) and are going up to try and dunk and they have small hands and so they need to cheat... ^@&#(*$^@ sorry for the rant...over

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Might well have developed farther, faster, than any player on the roster.

I wrongly criticized his FT shooting earlier in the year as a lack of commitment at practice.

His FT shooting seems to be improving along with everything else.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Perkins is up there in just about every category (if not better) as a frosh than just about everyone in GU history. I didn't see why all the complaining about him in the first place. Limit turnovers and we will be fine
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Marcus
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2013

Perkins is really good to getting to spots he wants to go when driving he just hasn't figured out what to do when he gets there, but this is more just a factor of adjusting to the size and speed of the game. I bet next year we see him score in the paint a lot more. His decision making is improving and he had one pass last night to Sabonis in the lane that was awesome. He has come a long way in a short time, especially cutting down on the turnovers.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2013

Nice post... Agreed, Perkins is definitely on the upswing. It's easy to forget he is only a redshirt Freshman.

Comment

• Zagger
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

I liked his hair better long

Comment

• MileHigh
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
                  Just want to start a thread showing my appreciation for the young man. He has really picked it up lately. My prediction for Josh is if he stays all four years, he will be an All-American. We have seen the flashes all year but I truly believe he got turned onto some bad habits during his time at Huntington Prep. I don't mind the flashy passes one bit, it's the always looking for a home run play and the loose dribble that got him into trouble. Slowly but surely he has started to just play basketball again and he is darn good at it.

Stat for Josh over the last 4 games: 27 assists, 6 TO's while shooting 37% from 3.
                  Agree with you that JP has some bad habits that he needs to clean up. Disagree that he picked them up at Prep School. Josh will tell you, unequivocally, that HPrep got him ready to play D1 basketball as soon as he hit campus in Spokane and that he would not have
                  had that readiness had he stayed in Colorado for his senior year.

Comment

• zag67
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

+1 he is doing super. Just needs to have time to show all of his tools

Comment

• ZagaZags
                      Banned
                      • May 2010

Josh needs to stay on the court a little longer. I need Josh to average 30.5+ this season, for me to win my bet with Zag67. Perkins is currently at 30.1 mpg.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Love his game, dislike the mouthpiece and flash but he's getting the job done and has only improved on the court.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MileHigh
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                          , dislike the mouthpiece .
                          ...not sure why a spectator would dislike a mouthpiece, but I can tell you Josh dislikes it. Having a hard time getting used to it so it is always halfway out of his mouth, but due to the broken jaw last year, doctor told him he has to wear a mouth guard every time he plays for the rest of his playing days

Comment

• strikenowhere
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MileHigh View Post
                            ...not sure why a spectator would dislike a mouthpiece, but I can tell you Josh dislikes it. Having a hard time getting used to it so it is always halfway out of his mouth, but due to the broken jaw last year, doctor told him he has to wear a mouth guard every time he plays for the rest of his playing days
                            I think he needs to hit up Dellavadova for some Aussie mouthpieces:

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                              Love his game, dislike the mouthpiece and flash but he's getting the job done and has only improved on the court.
                              I read this and laughed because it read like some crotchety old curmudgeon said it. "Hey you kids, get off my lawn, and keep your damn mouthpiece in your mouth where it belongs".

Comment

Working...
                              X