PDA

View Full Version : Josh Perkins

Bouldin4Prez
02-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Just want to start a thread showing my appreciation for the young man. He has really picked it up lately. My prediction for Josh is if he stays all four years, he will be an All-American. We have seen the flashes all year but I truly believe he got turned onto some bad habits during his time at Huntington Prep. I don't mind the flashy passes one bit, it's the always looking for a home run play and the loose dribble that got him into trouble. Slowly but surely he has started to just play basketball again and he is darn good at it.

Stat for Josh over the last 4 games: 27 assists, 6 TO's while shooting 37% from 3.

Zagceo
02-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Pocket Perkins………….love to see Moore of those.

"Perkins to Sabonis"………love hearing that from Huddy.

Game has slowed down for him.

WallaWallaZag
02-19-2016, 09:29 AM
'bout time perkins got his own thread...especially since he's been such a lighting rod for debate in just about every other thread. don't expect anything less as this thread progresses. i've mentioned this before, but perkins really needs to develop a reliable floater since he doesn't have the size/athleticism to finish at the rim consistently.

one thing i've picked up that really bugs me...why the heck does perkins always take two hands off the ball and raise it in his right hand like the freakin' statue of liberty every single time he has a fast break opportunity?!?!?! the only people i know who ever do that only do it because they aren't very good at dunking (can't elevate enough to finish with two hands) and are going up to try and dunk and they have small hands and so they need to cheat... ^@&#(*$^@ sorry for the rant...over

DixieZag
02-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Might well have developed farther, faster, than any player on the roster.

I wrongly criticized his FT shooting earlier in the year as a lack of commitment at practice.

His FT shooting seems to be improving along with everything else.

gonzagafan62
02-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Perkins is up there in just about every category (if not better) as a frosh than just about everyone in GU history. I didn't see why all the complaining about him in the first place. Limit turnovers and we will be fine

Marcus
02-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Perkins is really good to getting to spots he wants to go when driving he just hasn't figured out what to do when he gets there, but this is more just a factor of adjusting to the size and speed of the game. I bet next year we see him score in the paint a lot more. His decision making is improving and he had one pass last night to Sabonis in the lane that was awesome. He has come a long way in a short time, especially cutting down on the turnovers.

CdAZagFan
02-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Nice post... Agreed, Perkins is definitely on the upswing. It's easy to forget he is only a redshirt Freshman.

Zagger
02-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I liked his hair better long :)

MileHigh
02-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Just want to start a thread showing my appreciation for the young man. He has really picked it up lately. My prediction for Josh is if he stays all four years, he will be an All-American. We have seen the flashes all year but I truly believe he got turned onto some bad habits during his time at Huntington Prep. I don't mind the flashy passes one bit, it's the always looking for a home run play and the loose dribble that got him into trouble. Slowly but surely he has started to just play basketball again and he is darn good at it.

Stat for Josh over the last 4 games: 27 assists, 6 TO's while shooting 37% from 3.

Agree with you that JP has some bad habits that he needs to clean up. Disagree that he picked them up at Prep School. Josh will tell you, unequivocally, that HPrep got him ready to play D1 basketball as soon as he hit campus in Spokane and that he would not have
had that readiness had he stayed in Colorado for his senior year.

zag67
02-19-2016, 11:33 AM
+1 he is doing super. Just needs to have time to show all of his tools

ZagaZags
02-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Josh needs to stay on the court a little longer. I need Josh to average 30.5+ this season, for me to win my bet with Zag67. Perkins is currently at 30.1 mpg.

:doh: :lmao:

http://img.pandawhale.com/87550-you-can-do-it-gif-Imgur-l9BM.gif

cjm720
02-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Love his game, dislike the mouthpiece and flash but he's getting the job done and has only improved on the court.

MileHigh
02-19-2016, 12:25 PM
, dislike the mouthpiece .

...not sure why a spectator would dislike a mouthpiece, but I can tell you Josh dislikes it. Having a hard time getting used to it so it is always halfway out of his mouth, but due to the broken jaw last year, doctor told him he has to wear a mouth guard every time he plays for the rest of his playing days

strikenowhere
02-19-2016, 12:41 PM
...not sure why a spectator would dislike a mouthpiece, but I can tell you Josh dislikes it. Having a hard time getting used to it so it is always halfway out of his mouth, but due to the broken jaw last year, doctor told him he has to wear a mouth guard every time he plays for the rest of his playing days

I think he needs to hit up Dellavadova for some Aussie mouthpieces:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0318/ncb_g_dellavedova_576.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Love his game, dislike the mouthpiece and flash but he's getting the job done and has only improved on the court.

I read this and laughed because it read like some crotchety old curmudgeon said it. "Hey you kids, get off my lawn, and keep your damn mouthpiece in your mouth where it belongs".

vandalzag
02-19-2016, 01:20 PM

He certainly does not look comfortable wearing it, it looks like a heavy duty version of the mouthpieces worn by most players. The regular ones are tough enough to get used to.

Coach Crazy
02-19-2016, 01:29 PM
He certainly does not look comfortable wearing it, it looks like a heavy duty version of the mouthpieces worn by most players. The regular ones are tough enough to get used to.

I didn't wear a mouth guard when I played rugby at UVU. I can't imagine having to wear one in basketball.

amaronizag
02-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Coach Crazy can't imagine having to wear a mouth piece playing basketball...........
Now you know how us old denture wearers feel...........a glimpse of your future coach. :-)

Zagceo
02-19-2016, 02:13 PM
I didn't wear a mouth guard when I played rugby at UVU. I can't imagine having to wear one in basketball.

You just hold a lot in rugby….lotta group huddles ….not much contact right?

Coach Crazy
02-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Coach Crazy can't imagine having to wear a mouth piece playing basketball...........
Now you know how us old denture wearers feel...........a glimpse of your future coach. :-)

I hate mouth guards in general. Rocked one of my teeth in a match against Wyoming in Vegas. But still wouldn't wear one.

Coach Crazy
02-19-2016, 02:17 PM
You just hold a lot in rugby….lotta group huddles ….not much contact right?

Not guys like me who were raised as football players.

vandalzag
02-19-2016, 02:21 PM

It is tough. I only used one in football but you could spit it out between plays. I had a custom one made for my daughter to wear playing soccer after she was done with braces. She tried for a few games, said she could not stand it and refuses to wear it. That thing that Josh is wearing looks gigantic.

BULLDOG#1
02-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Glad to see he's coming into his own. Tough road for him, coming in with crazy expectations and having to take over the reigns from a rock-solid four year starter who just lead the team to the EE.

I agree with the folks here, it's a pretty impressive freshman year. It will be interesting to see how he does with NWG as his running mate. I would guess that NWG will do a higher % of the ball handling, which will shift Perkins off the ball, so next year will likely present even more new challenges for him.

cggonzaga
02-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Glad to see he's coming into his own. Tough road for him, coming in with crazy expectations and having to take over the reigns from a rock-solid four year starter who just lead the team to the EE.

I agree with the folks here, it's a pretty impressive freshman year. It will be interesting to see how he does with NWG as his running mate. I would guess that NWG will do a higher % of the ball handling, which will shift Perkins off the ball, so next year will likely present even more new challenges for him.

While I agree Goss will handle the ball next year I still think Josh is the primary ballhandler. 1) Josh is a pg he's not a shooting guard. He becomes less effective imo as a two guard. 2) Goss can play either position just as effectively. He doesn't need to play full time pg for his pro prospects. PG's in the NBA are really just shooting guards that can handle the ball anymore anyways.

zag67
02-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Zagazags,

That's OK, if you win on Perkins minutes, that means we are even because I lost last year. If you win I owe you double. I am just happy that his minutes are looking better, along with the rest of the guards.

cjm720
02-19-2016, 03:49 PM

Looks like it's a distraction...take away distractions and his game may elevate even more. Didn't connect the dots in regard to the jaw so that makes sense. Thanks.

cggonzaga
02-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Some more perspective on Josh. Comparing top 2 GU guards all time assists leaders.

Josh 27 games so far this season 112 assists

Matt Santangelo 27 games freshman season 119 assists
Blake Stepp 32 games freshman season 115 assists

Zags11
02-19-2016, 05:30 PM
He doing good his freshman year(rs) and I expect him and melson to improve. Hey, we are having a civil discussion on Perkins. Hmm.

tyra
02-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Marcus nailed it. That no-look feed to Sabonis in the lane was ridiculously good. It's a rare freshman that can pull that off.

jim77
02-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Josh knows what to do...a few bad habits slow him down. In fact, he's more advanced than most his age when it comes to "playing the game". He still dribbles into his opponent too much on initial halfcourt set. This guy corrects a few fundamental things and he's near a double digit assist guy. Don't forget he's really not a true redshirt freshman...last years was spent mostly recovering from his injury. To make matters worse he practiced all summer with PK in the lineup...then PK goes down with an injury. The guy has really had to adjust his game in a hurry. The one thing I can say about Josh and the whole team for that matter....there's few GU teams that play harder than this group does. They may make mistakes but it isn't from loafing.

Wish I would have had a mouthpiece in when I was younger.....got hit buy a full court last second heave...a shot that was thrown probably 2 or 3 seconds AFTER the buzzer. I was in the process of walking off the court....It broke off a piece of my front tooth...and ended up killing the nerve next to the front tooth which needed a root canal...fun.