PDA

View Full Version : An idea for Non Conference scheduling

gonzagafan62
02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
So I was thinking: Why do we have to totally give up on the non conference game in February/January? Why can't we still have one?

This may be totally stupid but I'm thinking one week we could do a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday week. Of course they'd all have to be at home or just the non conference on the road.

The preseason tournaments are 3 days In a row and you never know who you are playing. At least we would know.

Is this a stupid idea or am I on to something? Doubt it would happen but it's a thought

MDABE80
02-18-2016, 09:18 PM
We need the best games we can get heading toward the tournaments. WCC we already know about at that point in the season. It's thpose OOC teams we need to work with. Just an opinion.

zagamatic
02-19-2016, 05:47 AM
There's a big difference between playing 3 games early in the season when everyone has healed up over the summer and playing 3 games in a week late in the season when everyone is banged up.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-19-2016, 06:19 AM
So I was thinking: Why do we have to totally give up on the non conference game in February/January? Why can't we still have one?

This may be totally stupid but I'm thinking one week we could do a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday week. Of course they'd all have to be at home or just the non conference on the road.

The preseason tournaments are 3 days In a row and you never know who you are playing. At least we would know.

Is this a stupid idea or am I on to something? Doubt it would happen but it's a thought

It's mainly an issue with scheduling. 3 games in 6 days in the middle of WCC play (with one of those games being a tough opponent) would be one obstacle. Playing 3 games in 3 days in one location is what we do for preseason tournaments, but the other teams there are in the same boat in that they don't know who they play the next day and playing 3 days in a row. Early season results are also slightly diminished compared to games later in the season.

Frankly, I think it's simply a matter of not being able to get a quality program/opponent to use their one bye during conference play to take on a dangerous mid-major like GU - who may have a bad RPI in any given year. When the Pitt game was cancelled, I looked at our schedules to fantasize about a make-up game and within about a minute I thought "no ******* way this would work, even at a neutral site like Chicago or Denver." It just couldn't realistically fit into the conference schedules.

It's rare that something can be worked out that is beneficial for both teams. That was the original purpose of the Bracket Busters - to give mid-majors who can't get a good P5 opponent to play them mid-conference a chance to prove they can play and win outside of their conference. Our only chance at a yearly OOC opponent in February would be to join another conference like the MW and have a MW/A10 challenge or something like that. WCC will never be big enough to take part in a legitimate conference v. conference event.

I think it'd be awesome if our travel partner weekend matched up with the PAC 12 and we could play Portland and Oregon on a Thurs/Sat without leaving the NW. Either way, that's basically our only chance at having something consistent going forward. Need our travel partner weekend to match up with that of a P5 conference or really good non-P5 program.

gonzagafan62
02-19-2016, 09:32 AM
B
It's mainly an issue with scheduling. 3 games in 6 days in the middle of WCC play (with one of those games being a tough opponent) would be one obstacle. Playing 3 games in 3 days in one location is what we do for preseason tournaments, but the other teams there are in the same boat in that they don't know who they play the next day and playing 3 days in a row. Early season results are also slightly diminished compared to games later in the season.

Frankly, I think it's simply a matter of not being able to get a quality program/opponent to use their one bye during conference play to take on a dangerous mid-major like GU - who may have a bad RPI in any given year. When the Pitt game was cancelled, I looked at our schedules to fantasize about a make-up game and within about a minute I thought "no ******* way this would work, even at a neutral site like Chicago or Denver." It just couldn't realistically fit into the conference schedules.

It's rare that something can be worked out that is beneficial for both teams. That was the original purpose of the Bracket Busters - to give mid-majors who can't get a good P5 opponent to play them mid-conference a chance to prove they can play and win outside of their conference. Our only chance at a yearly OOC opponent in February would be to join another conference like the MW and have a MW/A10 challenge or something like that. WCC will never be big enough to take part in a legitimate conference v. conference event.

I think it'd be awesome if our travel partner weekend matched up with the PAC 12 and we could play Portland and Oregon on a Thurs/Sat without leaving the NW. Either way, that's basically our only chance at having something consistent going forward. Need our travel partner weekend to match up with that of a P5 conference or really good non-P5 program.

Yikes! Lot of good info provided here. Thanks I actually free with everything you stated. Would be very tough. Wonder how this will effect the future

seacatfan
02-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Interesting thought about playing a Pac 12 school in Oregon during the same trip as UP. However I don't think Pac 12 teams have been scheduling OOC opponents during the middle of the conference schedule any time recently. I have a hard time seeing UO or any other Pac 12 school agreeing to it.

CdAZagFan
02-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Interesting thought about playing a Pac 12 school in Oregon during the same trip as UP. However I don't think Pac 12 teams have been scheduling OOC opponents during the middle of the conference schedule any time recently. I have a hard time seeing UO or any other Pac 12 school agreeing to it.

I believe that would be the toughest obstacle - getting a quality opponent at that time of year to interrupt their late conference run and play an OOC game. But I do like the idea of trying to get something during that UP game week (perhaps the UP game could be played on a Saturday and have the OOC game on the Tuesday or Wednesday before).

gonzagafan62
02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
I think an American conference team might think about it. Their conference really hasn't been that great and they've been getting left out. Maybe a UCONN, SMU Cincy Or Tulsa team would.

Never hurts to make the phone call