PDA

View Full Version : HBO Gonzaga Series Thread

Pages : [1] 2

GrizZAG
02-16-2016, 06:45 AM
5 Part series starts tonight. It says 10 PM. I assume that is Eastern Time so we see it at 7PM?

I can't help but think this will be a positive recruiting tool. Do you agree? I suppose it depends on the way our team is presented.

HenneZag
02-16-2016, 08:31 AM
5 Part series starts tonight. It says 10 PM. I assume that is Eastern Time so we see it at 7PM?

I can't help but think this will be a positive recruiting tool. Do you agree? I suppose it depends on the way our team is presented.

Yeah I have it set to record at 7. Looks like it shows again at 10.

I think it's positive for sure, to realize we're the one team this year who has HBO following them is pretty humbling. On the flip side it's been kind of a roller coaster year and we've lost just about every big OOC game so that sucks to portray that on camera.

Will be cool to capture the trials and tribulations if we end up winning out and make a run though! I'm hoping it shows GU in a very positive light.

jazzdelmar
02-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Yeah I have it set to record at 7. Looks like it shows again at 10.

I think it's positive for sure, to realize we're the one team this year who has HBO following them is pretty humbling. On the flip side it's been kind of a roller coaster year and we've lost just about every big OOC game so that sucks to portray that on camera.

Will be cool to capture the trials and tribulations if we end up winning out and make a run though! I'm hoping it shows GU in a very positive light.

Fx can do wonders.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Still wondering how I'm going to get to watch I don't have HBO

Coach Crazy
02-16-2016, 11:11 AM

+1

Snagglezag
02-16-2016, 11:14 AM
+1

1 month trial ought to cover the extent of the series.

https://order.hbonow.com/?camp=Google|Search|MKL|IQ_ID_98171877-VQ2-g-VQ6-90502571352-VQ16-c

vandalzag
02-16-2016, 11:15 AM

If you have Internet access get an HBONow subscription http://www.hbo.com/order/order-hbo.html

Marcus
02-16-2016, 11:17 AM
As I dont have access to HBO as well I was hoping that someone who is tech savy, and very kind, would put it on Youtube after it airs. Maybe Robert Perry Network will have it on as he posts almost all Zag games with in a day or two. I really want to see this series.

Edit to add: As a Canadian, I can only subscribe to HBO Canada and I can almost guarantee it will not be shown there.

HRZag
02-16-2016, 11:34 AM
As VandalZag said, if you have internet access, ie, Apple TV, Roku Box, Chrome TV, you can get HBONow, which should have it. I love my DirecTV, but, they would not allow me to just add HBO. I had to change my package, which would include HBO. I have a Roku box and so, just added the channel, HBONow. According to what I could find on the internet, HBONow will have the "March To Madness". I will find out tonight. Go Zags.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm just going to have to have a talk with directv then

ZagMan in Philly
02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
I will try to locate a fishing stream for those who are HBO Less or challenged, later today.
More likely on Ustream...

sittingon50
02-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Thank you, Philly.

zagbeliever
02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know what xfinity channel it will be on? We are traveling but if I can find the channel I can program it to record. It isn't showing up on listings.

Zagceo
02-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know what xfinity channel it will be on? We are traveling but if I can find the channel I can program it to record. It isn't showing up on listings.

Ch 300 HBO HD 7PM

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-16%20at%202.18.10%20PM_zpsgwyaoeuj.png

zagbeliever
02-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Ch 300 HBO HD 7PM

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-16%20at%202.18.10%20PM_zpsgwyaoeuj.png

Thank you!!!!

kitzbuel
02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Question for anyone using HBO Now on Roku. Can you find previous showings of shows and stream them? If I do the HBO Now, I don't have the advantage of recording it on my DVR. I would like to be able to watch it at a later date, (10PM can be a little late for an east coaster trying to stock up sleep for the thursday nite GU game).

vandalzag
02-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Question for anyone using HBO Now on Roku. Can you find previous showings of shows and stream them? If I do the HBO Now, I don't have the advantage of recording it on my DVR. I would like to be able to watch it at a later date, (10PM can be a little late for an east coaster trying to stock up sleep for the thursday nite GU game).

It is an on demand application so you can watch it anytime. If you use the Roku check your ISP some (like the lovely people at comcast) will not allow comcast hbo subscribers to use a Roku. This used to be a big issue because comcast limited HBO's on demand library.

BBzag
02-16-2016, 03:04 PM

Depends where you are - in Spokane, it's 550 (East Coast feed, 7 p.m.)/551 (West Coast feed, 10 p.m.)

Zagger
02-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Grrrrrr - it's only 30 mins each! - Grrrrrr
At least it is before my bedtime :)
Go Zags!

DagsZags
02-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Random question--anyone know if it will be available on HBO Go as soon as it airs? Or should I just wait until tomorrow to watch it?

ZagMan in Philly
02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
I will try to locate a fishing stream for those who are HBO Less or challenged, later today.
More likely on Ustream...

If you want to catch some fish around 10pm eastern, this is a possible spot.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gonzaga-basketball

rennis
02-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Going back-to-back with this and Better Call Saul on the couch later tonight. Guaranteed to be the best night of my week.

sullyzag66
02-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Damn, HBO said Gonzaga wrong. Gonzawga
Yeah. Great production values. Fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagbeliever
02-16-2016, 06:34 PM
That was fun to watch. I enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes stuff.

I did too. I loved it. Made me sad for team all over seeing SMU especially Kyle. :(

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 06:34 PM

+1

I was surprised that the footage was so recent.

jazzdelmar
02-16-2016, 06:37 PM
KW seems like a great young man.

ZonaZag
02-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Can anyone confirm watching it on the HBO Now free trial?

Snagglezag
02-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Can anyone confirm watching it on the HBO Now free trial?

You'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch on-demand, apparently.

Section 116
02-16-2016, 07:14 PM
I can tell you I contacted Comcast yesterday inquiring as to the cost of HBO for a month or two. The guy I talked to said, "How does three month's free sound?" I said I'll take it. I also asked, so what happens when the three months is up, thinking I would start getting billed for HBO at that time. He told me it would automatically drop off. I did however, mark my calendar to check and see if it really does drop off. A friend who was with me at the time asked for the same deal and got it. I did this at a Comcast mall kiosk in Spokane but it may be worth a phone call. You have nothing to lose except some time and the deal included all HBO channels, there must be 10? Good luck!!! I thought the show was very well done and I'm already looking forward to the next installment. I was a bit surprised the on court action started with the Portland game. I have seen the crew working at McCarthey at least a month ago?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-16-2016, 07:21 PM
+1

I was surprised that the footage was so recent.

Yeah, I was really surprised this first episode was about the most recent week of the season. I'm guessing final episode will cover Selection Sunday!?

scott257
02-16-2016, 07:25 PM
I was surprised by it being so recent (basically covered the games from last week). They really did not address any prior games and breezed over Shem's injury. Funny to me that they had so many shots of Mark's mom and dad. Norm is quite a guy and very quick witted. I spent about an hour visiting with them both by phone last Friday and they didn't mention the show once, but they are going up to be at the games this week so they will get some more time on the next show.

I can't help but think the show is a positive thing for Gonzaga, but it is a pretty superficial show, so don't expect anything earth shattering. For most of us we will probably get more from watching the Mark Few Show.

GrizZAG
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM

It is on again at 10 PM PST tonight. I just got back from dinner and will have to watch it then as I do have HBO. When all else fails, find a good sports bar that has all the various networks and cable / satellite services and go enjoy a beer and watch. Call the sports bars close by and they will be able to tell you whether they have HBO available.

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 07:35 PM
In episode #5, I want to see Mark Few do a handstand.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA1fXFNU8AAeJAT.jpg

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Just talked to directv and got them to give me two months free because I won't ever use it and that my bill is 40 dollars higher than Dish. I told them I only wanted it for the Gonzaga show but I doubt she knew what that was. I did explain that I couldn't afford $20 dollars extra a month since I already pay $12 extra just for the games and I couldn't spend another 20 for something I only will use 30 minutes a week. At any rate, I got them to work with me and I'm stoked to see the first show in about an hour

GrizZAG
02-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Just talked to directv and got them to give me two months free because I won't ever use it and that my bill is 40 dollars higher than Dish. I told them I only wanted it for the Gonzaga show but I doubt she knew what that was. I did explain that I couldn't afford $20 dollars extra a month since I already pay $12 extra just for the games and I couldn't spend another 20 for something I only will use 30 minutes a week. At any rate, I got them to work with me and I'm stoked to see the first show in about an hour

Awesome! Good for you 62

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 07:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AeE9iIGyfUc

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Awesome! Good for you 62

Thanks. Thanks for the heads up too. I appreciate it. Will keep your advice in mind in the future. I got to watch part of the episode on Phillys stream but my internet is not great out here. I also think it's silly to pay for something I really don't want either. I wish there was a way to just charge me the 2 1/2 hours I'm actually using the channel lol. Oh well.

Go zags!

RenoZag
02-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Damn, HBO said Gonzaga wrong. Gonzawga

I cringed when that voiceover got the pronunciation wrong too, Zaga. . .but the narration during the episode got it right.

Rad, I'm with you: it was a fun look 'behind the curtain' and I look forward to the rest of the episodes. The footage in the locker room after the SMU game was tough to watch but it brought home an important point:

Those young men care for each other and they hurt more than anyone if they lose a game. All of the hand wringing, kvetching, and complaining on this internet forum pales in comparison to the emotion and disappointment the team felt after dropping the game in Dallas. It showed on their faces, it was apparent in their voices, and they knew they missed an opportunity as a group.

Zag 77
02-16-2016, 08:47 PM
I was not expecting to feel that. Great camera work and really surprisingly close work that really reveals a lot about these kids and their emotions. Few showed a side we do not see. The coaches all came off well and our kids presented themselves as excellent young men.

gozagswoohoo
02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
62- Glad you got it worked out!

Did anyone else *gasp* when they heard coach Few say....... ��........the 'a' word.....

Lol. For some reason, that caught me off guard at that particular moment. Also, I REALLY loved how it seemed like such a great family atmosphere.

What a great eat for us zags fans. We sure are a lucky bunch...

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Year after year, Gonzaga always has a close-knit roster that seems to carryover onto the next season. I really haven't seen anything like it in the NCAA. Even the old dogs always come home to work with the young pups.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Really awesome production. Makes me wanna win more because I wanna see the joy on the kids faces. Well done peice. Looking forward to next week

cggonzaga
02-16-2016, 09:55 PM
I liked how appreciative Eric was for his 2nd chance. HBO/Showtime does a great job with these productions.

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 10:21 PM
I liked how appreciative Eric was for his 2nd chance. HBO/Showtime does a great job with these productions.

Gonzaga was the perfect spot for E-Mac. The team embraced him and he has flourished at GU. I love the brotherhood that Gonzaga exudes.

Zagger
02-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Not very often do I see something on TV that I know a bit about and like what TV has done with it. This first episode was certainly an exception. I felt that anyone who watches it gets to see what we see in the Zags. Well done with quite a bit packed into 30 mins - especially considering using recent events, just days old, mixed with background story. Impressive!
:000tens:

It made the New York Times list of what to watch yesterday:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/arts/television/what-to-watch-tuesday.html

gu03alum
02-17-2016, 05:21 AM
I just watched on the way into work. That was awesome! I can't wait to see what happens next. It was cool to see Coach Few's father, Wiltjer's and Eric's families. Sabonis saying he doesn't eat his fill so he's feisty in the game was great too.

HRZag
02-17-2016, 05:39 AM
I just checked my HBO Now on Roku this morning (Wed. ) and the "March to Madness" shows up as a "featured" offering. . It did not last night.

I will be watching it tonight. Can't wait. Go Zags.

gu03alum
02-17-2016, 05:51 AM
I just checked my HBO Now on Roku this morning (Wed. ) and the "March to Madness" shows up as a "featured" offering. . It did not last night.

I will be watching it tonight. Can't wait. Go Zags.

Yeah, same thing happened with me on HBOGo. I missed the showing on the cable channels and wanted to stream it last night on my tv. I couldn't wait and watched it on my cell phone on the train this morning. I will watch it again tonight on the tv.

raise the zag
02-17-2016, 05:54 AM
Yeah, same thing happened with me on HBOGo. I missed the showing on the cable channels and wanted to stream it last night on my tv. I couldn't wait and watched it on my cell phone on the train this morning. I will watch it again tonight on the tv.

Wasn't able to locate on HBOGo.

Where did you find it? Or what did you search for?

TheGonzagaFactor
02-17-2016, 06:29 AM
Episode 1 was good. I was under the impression that it would pick up from the beginning of the season (hasn't the crew been around all year?) but obviously the Portland game last week was a good starting point as it is called the March to Madness. Makes sense.

The beginning with Few out in the woods talking was cool, even though we've seen this multiple times through other outlets. His dad was kinda funny but played to the camera so much that it was awkward, as pointed out by coach Few.

My favorite part was McClellan's spot. Saying the coaches basically saved his life and he didn't know why they took a chance on him but they did... hard not to root for Mac. He genuinely appreciates the opportunity and it shows.

Also loved Dranginis talking about how the team likes playing on the road.

Overall, I liked it. I want to see where it goes, but the W/L results the rest of the way will dictate the mood of the show.

It was kind of surreal, setting up the HBO Now account and realizing "I'm getting HBO to watch a feature on THE ZAGS??? WHAT!?!?"

It's a sign that the free month of HBO Now just started in time for this.

gozagswoohoo
02-17-2016, 06:36 AM
I agree with everyone that's already mentioned it, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they're picking up right here just 1-2 weeks ago.

And I lol'd at Rev Few and that interaction with Mark and the camera's at the team dinner. haha

77Zag
02-17-2016, 06:52 AM
The first show was great and HBO is going to score on this one. Much more drama than anticipated in getting to the tournament, if we do. And I fully expect we do. The story line will build until Selection Sunday unless we win the WCC Tournament in Vegas. I'm sure we will see more player profile insights and I loved the bit on EMAC. That is what Gonzaga is all about. I'm thinking we will hear more about Karno as well.

From the outset, I would imagine the series was going to be entirely different with the assumption we were a shoe in for the Dance. It was going to be a focus on how high we would be seeded and our rankings, etc....HBO is writing the script on the fly and this is going to be great.

Go Zags - Beat the Tigers!

gozagswoohoo
02-17-2016, 07:08 AM
The first show was great and HBO is going to score on this one. Much more drama than anticipated in getting to the tournament, if we do. And I fully expect we do. The story line will build until Selection Sunday unless we win the WCC Tournament in Vegas. I'm sure we will see more player profile insights and I loved the bit on EMAC. That is what Gonzaga is all about. I'm thinking we will hear more about Karno as well.

From the outset, I would imagine the series was going to be entirely different with the assumption we were a shoe in for the Dance. It was going to be a focus on how high we would be seeded and our rankings, etc....HBO is writing the script on the fly and this is going to be great.

Go Zags - Beat the Tigers!

That's a great point.

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Well done... great view of the program. Hope it gets a bit more in depth. Loved the thing on EMac especially... really showed how much GU means to him and JMHO, GU fulfilling its mission of helping others through offering him a chance. So glad he turned his life around and even happier that it was GU that helped him do it.

gu03alum
02-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Wasn't able to locate on HBOGo.

Where did you find it? Or what did you search for?

On my phone it was the second or third show on the main screen.

vandalzag
02-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Great show. The ups and downs from Portland to Dallas was palpable. It is easy to forget that these are kids until you see that reaction after the game. Production on the episode was excellent, I liked the Sopranos like opening with the Few driving to the school.

Reborn
02-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Great show. You (the readers) can see we all love it; so make a point to see it. I recorded it and have already watched it twice. Raw would be the word I'd use to describe it. As has been noted, the segment about what the Zags look like and feel after a loss is incredible. And yes, that is what it feels like after a loss, and especially after a big one like the SMU game was. It does really hurt. I was especially proud of what Kyle Wiltjer said, it almost made me cry because I could feel what he felt. Same for EMAC. Great to see the raw honesty in the midst of their pain. Fans rarely get to see what it's like in a locker-room after a loss. I also liked the beginning and the shots of Mark Few walking in the woods, and the shots of Spokane, Wa. Well done, HBO.

I'll certainly be watching this every Tuesday, and it will be fun to watch THE MARCH TO MARCH MADNESS, week to week. The documentary will include games against SMU, St Mary's and BYU, and finally the WCC Tournament. It will be an amazing film, imo. I like best what Mark Few said after the Portland game, that he has coached a couple #1 teams and none of them could have done to Portland what THIS Zag team did. I could really tell that he feels that this is a special team and has a huge heart for them. I think the parents have become a part of the documentary because Few said that Gonzaga is all about family. This came across to me really well. Mark Few is an awesome man.

Go Zags!!!

amaronizag
02-17-2016, 07:35 AM
One would hope and expect the exposure and PR benefits to the program to be huge. But I seem to be the only one that was a little disappointed in the show. I don't like that shaky, hand-held camera work that is zoomed in a bit too close, with effects designed to give the film an "edgy" look. Stand back or zoom out a bit, put it on a tripod, and give us something that looks less like the cameraman is running while shooting. I wouldn't watch games on TV if the camera work was that shoddy. I was also disappointed that the beginning of the season wasn't covered. It would have been great if they started early when karno was playing and showed how the season and team evolved. No idea why they skipped the first 26 games of the season. I was under the impression they had been filming all season. Maybe they will cut back in time or do something fancy with the chronology to include more of the season. One can only hope. Again, I think it's great we were chosen and get the exposure. I was just hoping for more of a story about this year and our journey.

Reborn
02-17-2016, 07:46 AM
I think maybe that they want the documentary to be like reality TV. This is as close to reality TV as you can get, yet not Reality TV. The shows will be viewed just 3 days after the Zags last game played. I also believe that they want the viewers to FEEL what they players and coaches feel while they play the last four weeks of the season. There are no greater games that a team plays than the last six before the NCAA Tournament. And I also hope that Selection Sunday will be viewed.

Go Zags!!!

realtydog
02-17-2016, 10:04 AM
I was somewhat disappointed ----was hoping for more off court scenes than what I saw----I didn't feel like I needed to watch the highlight package of each game---also, nothing was gleaned from the "in the huddle" takes

MDABE80
02-17-2016, 10:41 AM
I love the school. WIth HBO doing this, it sorta turns GU into a monument of courage. The little engine that could. Superior camera work. Everything was just right. Cannot buy this type of exposure.

Zagger
02-17-2016, 11:58 AM
I was somewhat disappointed ----was hoping for more off court scenes than what I saw----I didn't feel like I needed to watch the highlight package of each game---also, nothing was gleaned from the "in the huddle" takes

I'm betting the series improves as it goes along. Also, since members of this forum already know quite a bit about the Zags ..... there may not be a lot of content that we find informative over what we already know. It'd be interesting to know if the membership on the forum grows much over the course of the series - due to curious people wanting to learn more about GU BB. And, since the series is being made from the games of each week I wouldn't be surprised if the writers visit this forum, to at least see what our assessments are. I'd be curious if I were one of the HBO team producing the series. I personally can't wait for the next one to see what other local stuff they put in and how much of earlier season tidbits they might use. Hope the Zags kick butt this week!

Zagger
02-18-2016, 07:50 AM
I've been looking for some reviews of the first episode ..... finally found one that pretty much echos our posts. Nice additional read never-the-less :) Go Zags!
http://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/archives/2016/02/17/gonzaga-march-to-madness-episode-one

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2016, 07:54 AM
I'm betting the series improves as it goes along. Also, since members of this forum already know quite a bit about the Zags ..... there may not be a lot of content that we find informative over what we already know. It'd be interesting to know if the membership on the forum grows much over the course of the series - due to curious people wanting to learn more about GU BB. And, since the series is being made from the games of each week I wouldn't be surprised if the writers visit this forum, to at least see what our assessments are. I'd be curious if I were one of the HBO team producing the series. I personally can't wait for the next one to see what other local stuff they put in and how much of earlier season tidbits they might use. Hope the Zags kick butt this week!

My family, who are Zag fans like me but not nearly "in the know" as I am... thought it was great. They loved the parts on Wiltjer and EMac especially.

jazzdelmar
02-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Focus on the kids is best. We really don't know them at all......

ZagnetitForce
02-18-2016, 08:20 AM
I was thrilled....loved it...can never get enough Zag or Gonzaga material. It did what I had hoped and shinned an already bright light even brighter on Gonzaga, Spokane, and Zag Basketball! Excellent.

cggonzaga
02-18-2016, 09:38 AM

I don't think you're going to get that. Few and company keep it like Alcatraz around the program. They're not going to allow any "inside the huddle" information to get out there especially during season.

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Wonder if Liev Schreiber emerges from this thing as a Zag fan.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-18-2016, 12:37 PM

...or if Ray Donovan's daughter becomes a Zag :roll:

cggonzaga
02-18-2016, 12:49 PM
...or if Ray Donovan's daughter becomes a Zag :roll:

As long as she doesn't date a Zag. We may never see them again!

jazzdelmar
02-18-2016, 01:05 PM

Yale man. Boola.

americasteam
02-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Bump

Just watched this! Very nicely done and watching the end of the episode is like a cliffhanger. How will they do? Can they pull it out? Watch next week's episode to see. Actually watch tonight at 7:00 pm on ESPN2 to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Zags!

DixieZag
02-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Since I'm the cynic who believes money is the force that spins the Earth, I think the series may help us get into the tournament if we're on the bubble. The NCAA has to love the exposure of both a good clean program and a chance to spotlight the tourney. No, it's not a "huge" money thing, or even exposure thing. But, it IS a money thing and it does provide some exposure. I truly think that the billion plus dollar tournament compels the committee to be cognizant of things that move the needle. Again, with a package that expensive, I think it would be almost irresponsible if they didn't - and I expect them to deny it until the sun runs out of hydrogen.

realtydog
02-20-2016, 08:47 AM
I don't think you're going to get that. Few and company keep it like Alcatraz around the program. They're not going to allow any "inside the huddle" information to get out there especially during season.

I understand your point, but the takes were very very very vanilla.....that's all I'm saying......also, per the gozags.com announcement, HBO has "all access" coverage......guess not............ Hard Knocks is better and gave deeper inside looks...and that's the NFL...only my opinion........with that said, I will be glued to tv on Tuesday

Zagceo
02-20-2016, 09:13 AM
I understand your point, but the takes were very very very vanilla.....that's all I'm saying......also, per the gozags.com announcement, HBO has "all access" coverage......guess not............ Hard Knocks is better and gave deeper inside looks...and that's the NFL...only my opinion........with that said, I will be glued to tv on Tuesday

I understand your point but remember these are college kids.

I would suggest to those that don't like the camera movement…….try watching on smaller screen.

Watching on 50+ size screens and close can be distracting to some and even nauseous with heavy doses of camera movement……

realtydog
02-20-2016, 09:38 AM
I understand your point but remember these are college kids.

what does that mean?

Zagceo
02-20-2016, 10:15 AM
what does that mean?

I may have misunderstood your "deeper" statement for looking into players lives like Hard Knocks tends to do.

If you meant deeper into Gonzaga basketball program……I'm guessing that will unfold as the series continues.

kitzbuel
02-20-2016, 11:15 AM
what does that mean?
Also, participation in Hard Knocks is mandatory for NFL teams.

what does that mean?
Also, participation in Hard Knocks is mandatory for NFL teams.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

B Wayne
02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
One would hope and expect the exposure and PR benefits to the program to be huge. But I seem to be the only one that was a little disappointed in the show. I don't like that shaky, hand-held camera work that is zoomed in a bit too close, with effects designed to give the film an "edgy" look. Stand back or zoom out a bit, put it on a tripod, and give us something that looks less like the cameraman is running while shooting. I wouldn't watch games on TV if the camera work was that shoddy. I was also disappointed that the beginning of the season wasn't covered. It would have been great if they started early when karno was playing and showed how the season and team evolved. No idea why they skipped the first 26 games of the season. I was under the impression they had been filming all season. Maybe they will cut back in time or do something fancy with the chronology to include more of the season. One can only hope. Again, I think it's great we were chosen and get the exposure. I was just hoping for more of a story about this year and our journey.

No you're not the only one. It was pretty bad. The only reason I enjoyed it is because I'm a long time Zag fan. But if they took that film and replaced it with another team, the value or worth would be zero. The show was short attention span theatre.

"Here's the teams head coach talking to the camera for ten seconds."

"Here is some random meaningless footage of a city (Spokane) with no single place shown for more than four seconds and no context."

"Here is 50 seconds from a 2 hour basketball game"

"Here are 3 or 4 five second clips of what coaches are saying during time outs"

"Here is ten seconds of a speech in a locker room"

You get the gist. Imagine watch the same clips for say...Florida State University. You would have wasted a half hour of your life.

I could have done almost as good with access to the team using the camera on my I Phone

:lmao:.

ZagaZags
02-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Continues tonight on HBO at 8pm. #ZagUp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb3pQXvUkAA6JKm.jpg

Zagger
02-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Not everyone reads and enjoys the same book in the same manner. This series is being written dang near in real time. The conclusion is anything but certain. If all episodes are 30 mins long and only 5 will be aired, we've just seen 20% of what's in store. There's a lot that can be packed into the 2 hours to go. As a Zag fan and Spokanite I found the 'feel' of the first episode very interesting - good introductory story telling that portends suspense. The first episode has scratched the surface. We'll just have to tune in to see how deep they go.

gonzagafan62
02-23-2016, 05:29 AM
I think tonight's edition is going to show us if we have a chance to go dancing or not

Zags11
02-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Continues tonight on HBO at 8pm. #ZagUp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb3pQXvUkAA6JKm.jpg

That kid we spoke with as we mingled on senior night. Great kid.

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Wow, that was a great job from HBO. It was nice to see tent city, locker room footage, Few at home and the Senior Night. I might lose my man card for admitting this, I think I had a tear in my eye at the end of the show.

amaronizag
02-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Certainly no complaints about tonight's show. Great job.

CdAZagFan
02-23-2016, 07:34 PM
For those of us that didn't get to see it... Is there a link to it somewhere?

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 07:37 PM
For those of us that didn't get to see it... Is there a link to it somewhere?

Here is episode #1. I will put episode #2 up when available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eOdideM5Hxo

RenoZag
02-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Coach Lloyd was the highlight of tonight's episode. Thought they also did a great job conveying the experience of the Kennel Club ticket distribution, tent city, etc.

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Tommy Lloyd dropped a few f-bombs in episode #2.
I'm positive Marcy Few reads GU Boards.
Few told the team, the practice (before Pacific) was flat.
The fan shots were awesome.
The team looks tired.
Rem and Dustin need a vacuum and maid.

CdAZagFan
02-23-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks ZagaZags...

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks ZagaZags...

Enjoy.

sullyzag66
02-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Pre-game footage prior to St. Mary's game showed little passion or energy among the guys. Something was missing that night.

gonzagafan62
02-23-2016, 08:38 PM
I Don't like hearing a coach tell the kids that they weren't listening. That's not a good sign...

gonzagafan62
02-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Wow, that was a great job from HBO. It was nice to see tent city, locker room footage, Few at home and the Senior Night. I might lose my man card for admitting this, I think I had a tear in my eye at the end of the show.

Absolutely ! It was awesome

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 08:40 PM
I Don't like hearing a coach tell the kids that they weren't listening. That's not a good sign...

Hopefully they didn't hear that.

sittingon50
02-23-2016, 08:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eOdideM5Hxo

Thank you very much, ZZ.

Zag 77
02-23-2016, 09:02 PM
This was a great episode tonight and I was torn between feeling proud of the people who represent my alma mater and feeling guilty. I say guilty because on this board we (and I include myself) SOMETIMES criticize the players as having no heart/no talent, the coaches can't coach and the Kennel Club for being uninspired and non-chalant in their attitude.

That sure is not what I saw in episode #2. I saw the players and coaches feeling the weight of expectations and Kennel Club members doing ridiculous stuff to get a ticket and support their team.

Thanks to HBO for reminding us that we should take a little care when we criticize in anger or when we are too blunt, too harsh and often too spoiled in our comments.

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Thank you very much, ZZ.

:cheers:

sullyzag66
02-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Some posters on SMC board are disappointed that Gonzaga: March to Madness isn't about them.

Zags11
02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Great episodes. The kids look like 500lb rocks are on their shoulders.

ZagaZags
02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Some posters on SMC board are disappointed that Gonzaga: March to Madness isn't about them.

If I was a Saint Mary's fan, I would feel very confident in making March Madness. I can't wait for GU to break their hearts.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcq6lrOTiB1qfc4s9.gif

Zags11
02-24-2016, 12:05 AM
:000tens:
If I was a Saint Mary's fan, I would feel very confident in making March Madness. I can't wait for GU to break their hearts.

ZagaZags
02-24-2016, 01:16 AM
Tonight was a big night on HBO, not as big as game night but the small response tonight speaks volumes. The fans may have jumped ship.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e6e1b83cc0038747cb2ecfb5a9a07284/tumblr_ml4dzht6YB1s9su6zo2_500.gif

Zagger
02-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Great episodes. The kids look like 500lb rocks are on their shoulders.
Yeah, that's why in another thread I mentioned having the team running sets in kayaks. I'm sure they're having fun but I'd venture to guess they're not having enough fun. Tenseness, looseness, desire, skill, communication - all that has to mix. If something's not right the bread's not gonna rise. Win or lose I'd like to see them have a better time, be more spontaneous, have more fun. I believe how well they do going forward now will be flavored in huge part by the coaching in order to have a better on court chemistry. The talent is there.

kitzbuel
02-24-2016, 04:00 AM
Tonight was a big night on HBO, not as big as game night but the small response tonight speaks volumes. The fans may have jumped ship.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e6e1b83cc0038747cb2ecfb5a9a07284/tumblr_ml4dzht6YB1s9su6zo2_500.gif
I have to wait for that combination of the show being available on line and me having time enough to watch whilst remaining awake. I stock up on sleep all week just for Thursday night games.

BigZagFan
02-24-2016, 06:10 AM

It's not over,
It's not over,
It's not over!

LongIslandZagFan
02-24-2016, 06:39 AM
This was a great episode tonight and I was torn between feeling proud of the people who represent my alma mater and feeling guilty. I say guilty because on this board we (and I include myself) SOMETIMES criticize the players as having no heart/no talent, the coaches can't coach and the Kennel Club for being uninspired and non-chalant in their attitude.

That sure is not what I saw in episode #2. I saw the players and coaches feeling the weight of expectations and Kennel Club members doing ridiculous stuff to get a ticket and support their team.

Thanks to HBO for reminding us that we should take a little care when we criticize in anger or when we are too blunt, too harsh and often too spoiled in our comments.

Amen... and based on what was coming out of the Bakamus/Triano fridge... I worry about those two guys. :D

HRZag
02-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Kitzbuel, try HBO Now. Get it day after on demand.

vandalzag
02-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Amen... and based on what was coming out of the Bakamus/Triano fridge... I worry about those two guys. :D

Stay tuned for next weeks episode when the health department pays a visit to the basketball house.

amaronizag
02-24-2016, 07:07 AM
The Bakamus/Triano fridge takes us all back to college days!! I'm really glad the team gets fed well at school!! Left to their own devices, players diet, nutrition, and health would be a disaster and impact their conditioning. Doubt the players are cooking many meals at home. Can anyone give details on how the team is fed at school?? I know they have a cafeteria in K2.

Zags11
02-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Yeah, that's why in another thread I mentioned having the team running sets in kayaks. I'm sure they're having fun but I'd venture to guess they're not having enough fun. Tenseness, looseness, desire, skill, communication - all that has to mix. If something's not right the bread's not gonna rise. Win or lose I'd like to see them have a better time, be more spontaneous, have more fun. I believe how well they do going forward now will be flavored in huge part by the coaching in order to have a better on court chemistry. The talent is there.

I feel they feel the pressure of the streak and zag fans pressure. What Mrs Few said spoke volume. It used to be we lose a couple and nothing but now zag nation thinks sky is falling. Something along those lines.

vandalzag
02-24-2016, 08:00 AM
I feel they feel the pressure of the streak and zag fans pressure. What Mrs Few said spoke volume. It used to be we lose a couple and nothing but now zag nation thinks sky is falling. Something along those lines.

Agreed. Success breeds expectations. Hype breeds unrealistic expectations. Sometimes in sports/life things do not line up the way we want them. Sometimes players do not buy in, sometimes coaches take players down the wrong path. Sometimes you just have bad luck/injuries, etc... Most fans understand and do not go completely nuts with their disappointment. But Spokane is notorious for fair weather band wagon jumping fans, as shown by all the seahawk, eastern eagle, wsu cougar fans that suddenly appear when a winning record presents itself. They are quick to come and quick to go. Anybody who is over the age of 25 and familiar with the zag program understands that nothing is certain as far as the Tourney goes. This is not the first year the team has had to win the tourney to get in and it will not be the last. If the kids come together and pull if off it will be one of the better stories of overcoming adversity.

Zagger
02-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Yesterday afternoon when I was at Jack & Dan's in the HBO interview thingie I mentioned that I thought the Zags would kick butt in Vegas and make the NCAAs. They asked right away, "What if they don't?". I kinda/sorta found the question perplexing. I personally feel crappy when they lose but I feel worse for the team - but that's really short-lived. It's then ..... on to the next game. My reply was, "There's always next year." I think they were kinda of expecting me to say something related to the 'sky is falling, etc.'. I don't feel that way. Someone has to lose in these games. Streaks only last so long. It's a game where a Zag loss should IMHO not reflect badly upon anyone in the sense of a team or player's devotion to the GU program. The GU program is solid. My own fan-ness isn't going to be on the line if the team doesn't make the NCAAs or the NIT. I'd just like to keep seeing them play for them and for us. I save my ire for bad ref calls or dirty play by a player (on any team). We live in a time when the 'sky is falling' is tagged onto all sorts of stuff - undeservedly/over-reacting-ly. I feel that diminishes/overshadows the FUN part of it all. Go Zags! Have Fun!

Zags11
02-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Totally agree. If we miss the dance it'll be odd and I'll be super bummed. However their is next year unless we die and then it doesn't matter. Lol. I use this mantra with mariner's.

jazzdelmar
02-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Just watched epi 2. The humanity of the program and the campus is palpable and invigorating. I feel blessed and appreciative to be even a peripheral member of such a spectacular community.

gonstu
02-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Have not watched either episode yet. Today a co-worker (who knows I'm a Gonz alum) came to me and said she stumbled on the show accidentally. Ended up being sucked in and watched the entire episode and plans to watch the remaining. This is a non-basketball, non-sports, non-gonz fan. Made me think the series will be creating some new zag fans. I hope there's a happy ending in the series finale.

TheZagPhish
02-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Yesterday afternoon when I was at Jack & Dan's in the HBO interview thingie....

Pretty much anything following these words is going to be cool.

I appreciate your emphasis on the fun of it all. Bit of El Voce wisdom, there.

Cheers!

HRZag
02-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Wow, Jazz, for once, I completely agree with you. Well said. Go Zags.

Zagger
02-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Pretty much anything following these words is going to be cool.

I appreciate your emphasis on the fun of it all. Bit of El Voce wisdom, there.

Cheers!

Ha! Thanks! I find English (my only language of any consequence) to be somewhat difficult to express myself with unless I modify some words - as my vocab just is not large enough to know the right ones to use - or I spell them so poorly the spell checker makes laughing noises and will not find that which I intended in even a patient person's acceptable time frame. :)

Pargo the Destroyer
02-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Wondering how many emails Mr Roth received regarding Tommys use of language.. Im sure some on here were flabbergasted! Either way, they need to hear it when they do the good things and when they do the not so good things. Go Zags

gonzagafan62
02-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Wondering how many emails Mr Roth received regarding Tommys use of language.. Im sure some on here were flabbergasted! Either way, they need to hear it when they do the good things and when they do the not so good things. Go Zags

Truth

roundup
02-24-2016, 08:05 PM

I don't feel very confident about making march madness short of the auto bid and I'd much rather play Pepperdine or BYU than Gonzaga. Hard to beat a good team 3 times. That championship game between us would be epic though.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-24-2016, 10:52 PM
I don't feel very confident about making march madness short of the auto bid and I'd much rather play Pepperdine or BYU than Gonzaga. Hard to beat a good team 3 times. That championship game between us would be epic though.

I'm hoping for one more SMC game in WCC championship. It would be great opportunity for this team to surge into NCAA's with confidence and I really want to see what kind of adjustments coaches make in a 3rd game vs Gaels. Still hope they rest KW until WCC tourney as nothing else matters.

Zagger
02-25-2016, 03:46 AM
Some recent reviews ....

Sports Illustrated
http://www.campusrush.com/gonzaga-basketball-hbo-march-to-madness-1618398340.html

Slippery Still Fits
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/2/24/11109226/the-march-to-madness-recap-of-week-2

Birddog
02-25-2016, 04:46 AM
Well the SI piece really isn't a review at all, it's more of a "heads up".

gu03alum
02-25-2016, 05:05 AM
I liked episode two except for one thing. One of the students running to get in line was wearing a UW sweatshirt. WTF was he thinking. I hope some of his friends saw that and gave him a hard time.

xStartTodayx
02-25-2016, 08:28 AM
I have come to look forward to the HBO episodes like I would a game. I don't know if people outside of Gonzaga fandom feel the same way but I think they are incredible. But I have a feeling it may be adding pressure to the players at a time there is already a ton of weight regarding 'the streak'.

amaronizag
02-25-2016, 10:05 AM
In the latest show, there was some footage of Karno shooting set shots. I was amazed he was able to do that already. I kept thinking he should live on the free throw line until he is able to shoot a jump shot. If he could shoot 80% after his recovery it would be a huge plus for his game.

B Wayne
02-25-2016, 11:35 AM
I have come to look forward to the HBO episodes like I would a game. I don't know if people outside of Gonzaga fandom feel the same way but I think they are incredible. But I have a feeling it may be adding pressure to the players at a time there is already a ton of weight regarding 'the streak'.

What would be remotely interesting about the show if you weren't a Gonzaga fan?

gonzagafan62
02-25-2016, 11:37 AM

I enjoyed watching the VCU one when it was broadcasted on CBSSports network. Tons of things to be interested in

LongIslandZagFan
02-25-2016, 11:41 AM

I'd watch it if it were just about any program. Behind the scenes, the humanity of the players, the fans, the schools. There is plenty compelling stuff there regardless of what school it is done on.

B Wayne
02-25-2016, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed watching the VCU one when it was broadcasted on CBSSports network. Tons of things to be interested in

I saw the VCU one and it was better than the Zag HBO show so far. You said "tons of things", but name one thing you saw on the HBO Zag show that anyone other than a Zag fan would find interesting. A bunch of 7 second short attention span clips of a few things said in a huddle? A 9 second clip of team in the locker room? 20 second clip of the team in warm ups? A ten second camera pan of scenes in Spokane without reference? Players looking sad after a loss?
There is nothing of substance to the show.

vandalzag
02-25-2016, 12:14 PM
I saw the VCU one and it was better than the Zag HBO show so far. You said "tons of things", but name one thing you saw on the HBO Zag show that anyone other than a Zag fan would find interesting. A bunch of 7 second short attention span clips of a few things said in a huddle? A 9 second clip of team in the locker room? 20 second clip of the team in warm ups? A ten second camera pan of scenes in Spokane without reference? Players looking sad after a loss?
There is nothing of substance to the show.

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/11/geneshalit.jpg
Thank you for stopping by Mr. Shalit

rennis
02-25-2016, 09:10 PM
In episode 2 I learned that Tommy Lloyd is the man. Keep it coming HBO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gozagswoohoo
02-26-2016, 10:21 AM
I'll be honest. Episode 2 (which I just got to watch last night) was a freaking incredible piece of work. I thought the producers did an amazing job capturing the passion that the student body has for this team. I know people have been posting about some students leaving games early and whatnot, but there were multiple students CRYING at the end of the loss to SMC. They also showed students getting emotional just because they got a Top 5 tent spot! There were hundreds of students spending DAYS in line, and sleeping in freezing cold tents, JUST to get a friggin spot a little bit closer in the student section.

You're ALWAYS going to have your 'early exiters'. I don't care who you are. Every single team has them. Sure, maybe there are a dozen or two extra of em this year for some reason. Big deal. We still have hundreds of insanely passionate students, and I will bet you $147 that they're are less than a handful of other schools around the nation with a student body as passionate as ours.

I'm not afraid to admit this, but I got chills and teared up TWICE while watching episode 2. Seeing that atmosphere and the passion the students and locals have for Gonzaga is exactly why I fell in love with this team. (I started following GU because I thought the name was cool, and I liked the playing style, but I FELL IN LOVE WITH THEM when I witnessed the passion of the majority of their fans, and the sense of community and family). This episode was really special. Man, I love this team.

And I have a feeling we haven't seen the best of this zags team yet.

sittingon50
02-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Nice post, WooHoo.

Zagger
02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
WooHoo! You rock!

mgadfly
02-26-2016, 03:37 PM
I kind of thought Episode 1 was too disjointed and I probably wouldn't have been interested if it wasn't GU. Episode 2, and the ticket distribution, the tent city, and the lead into and coverage of the first game was done very well. It actually made me wish HBO had an entire hour or maybe even 2 on what fans and students for different programs have to do for good tickets. I'd love to see how it works at Duke. I'd even like to know how "easy" it is for students at schools with unsuccessful programs (a segment on USD fans strolling up to the window right at tip-off - straight from the beach, perhaps).

And I really liked the ending of the episode. And I don't think it was just because I'm a GU fan.

gu03alum
02-26-2016, 05:17 PM
I'll be honest. Episode 2 (which I just got to watch last night) was a freaking incredible piece of work. I thought the producers did an amazing job capturing the passion that the student body has for this team. I know people have been posting about some students leaving games early and whatnot, but there were multiple students CRYING at the end of the loss to SMC. They also showed students getting emotional just because they got a Top 5 tent spot! There were hundreds of students spending DAYS in line, and sleeping in freezing cold tents, JUST to get a friggin spot a little bit closer in the student section.

You're ALWAYS going to have your 'early exiters'. I don't care who you are. Every single team has them. Sure, maybe there are a dozen or two extra of em this year for some reason. Big deal. We still have hundreds of insanely passionate students, and I will bet you $147 that they're are less than a handful of other schools around the nation with a student body as passionate as ours.

I'm not afraid to admit this, but I got chills and teared up TWICE while watching episode 2. Seeing that atmosphere and the passion the students and locals have for Gonzaga is exactly why I fell in love with this team. (I started following GU because I thought the name was cool, and I liked the playing style, but I FELL IN LOVE WITH THEM when I witnessed the passion of the majority of their fans, and the sense of community and family). This episode was really special. Man, I love this team.

We need to get you back up to Spokane; somebody should start a gofundme next season.

Zag_Dad
02-27-2016, 12:01 PM

I loved the episode but felt like HBO failed to capture the true energy of the Kennel. Zombie Nation should have been included:

https://youtu.be/6Irt5w3sWRY

gozagswoohoo
02-27-2016, 01:11 PM
I loved the episode but felt like HBO failed to capture the true energy of the Kennel. Zombie Nation should have been included:

https://youtu.be/6Irt5w3sWRY

I know what you're saying, but we've all seen that 100x. I loved this intimate inside-look HBO gave us.

But for the people who aren't die-hard zags fans, yes, they probably could have benefited even more if they saw the awesomeness that is Zombie Nation.

And gu03alum. Hopefully in the next couple of seasons! Fingers crossed!

izzjess
02-27-2016, 01:43 PM
where can i watch episode 2?

Zagger
02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
where can i watch episode 2?

Episode 1 is here - also where HBO will likely post Episode 2 once they show Episode 3 (guessing anyway).
http://www.hbo.com/gonzaga-the-march-to-madness

Zag_Dad
02-27-2016, 01:52 PM
I know what you're saying, but we've all seen that 100x. I loved this intimate inside-look HBO gave us.

But for the people who aren't die-hard zags fans, yes, they probably could have benefited even more if they saw the awesomeness that is Zombie Nation.

And gu03alum. Hopefully in the next couple of seasons! Fingers crossed!

Gonzaga is so fortunate to have HBO chose them for the "March to Madness" series and the production is first rate. I can't complain that they didn't show "Zombie Nation" as the segments they chose reflect the true passion of our students and fans. I guess I have found a new appreciation for Zombie Nation after I traveled to Dallas to see the SMU game and witnessed their student section in action. The Kennel is special.... we have all heard this before from the ESPN and CBS announcers who have covered games in our gym. Now having the benefit of seeing another school as a basis for comparison, I have concluded WE ROCK! SMU fan section was half the size of Kennel, fans arrived late and had no orchestrated cheers. Just a bunch of college kids yelling and screaming... some holding signs, some wearing a chef hat... meh... nothing special.

ZAGS ARE SPECIAL

Zag_Dad
02-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Is anyone else REALLY excited for Tuesday? Can't wait to see HBO cover TWO wins!

GrizZAG
02-27-2016, 08:02 PM
I would like to hear from our devout and expert fans how they think this series could impact our recruiting effort going forward. Good? Neutral? Not good?
Fire away

Zag 77
02-27-2016, 08:32 PM
I am afraid that Tommy will not be allowed to recruit at Catholic schools because they would not want their kids being exposed to the "F" word !

I wonder if that was one of the first English words that Karnowski learned in the US. The conversation with one of his teammates explaining it would be funny to hear about.

whatazag
02-27-2016, 08:43 PM
I am afraid that Tommy will not be allowed to recruit at Catholic schools because they would not want their kids being exposed to the "F" word !

I wonder if that was one of the first English words that Karnowski learned in the US. The conversation with one of his teammates explaining it would be funny to hear about.

When I saw the earlier post about his language I was assuming he said some pretty foul stuff. Finally got around to watching the episode today. Was pretty surprised he just dropped a couple F bombs, haha.

Zagger
02-27-2016, 09:18 PM
I would like to hear from our devout and expert fans how they think this series could impact our recruiting effort going forward. Good? Neutral? Not good?
Fire away
IMHO Very Good. We're attracting better and better athletes/kids to GU due to GU's overall reputation. The HBO series just spreads that rep all that much farther - especially in how well HBO is producing the series. Episode 3 should be pretty neat in seeing how pumped the team was for the Provo win. When GU comes knocking on a high school player's door that kid will know that much more about GU than they would have before this HBO series. Maybe that alone will help kids make a better choice for their desires going forward. Good PR has a snowballing effect as well where it can help not only the Men's BB program.

Birddog
02-28-2016, 04:07 AM

F-bombs aren't just Anglo-centric anymore, there are many languages and cultures that have adopted the use. Karno may have refined his usage but I'll bet he had some rudimentary skill.

Reborn
02-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Gonzaga is so fortunate to have HBO chose them for the "March to Madness" series and the production is first rate. I can't complain that they didn't show "Zombie Nation" as the segments they chose reflect the true passion of our students and fans. I guess I have found a new appreciation for Zombie Nation after I traveled to Dallas to see the SMU game and witnessed their student section in action. The Kennel is special.... we have all heard this before from the ESPN and CBS announcers who have covered games in our gym. Now having the benefit of seeing another school as a basis for comparison, I have concluded WE ROCK! SMU fan section was half the size of Kennel, fans arrived late and had no orchestrated cheers. Just a bunch of college kids yelling and screaming... some holding signs, some wearing a chef hat... meh... nothing special.

ZAGS ARE SPECIAL

I completely agree. Was so nice to see all of the love for the Zags!!! That scene at the end of Series 2 was just so touching, after the game in the locker room on Senior night loss to St Mary's, and then hearing the guys speak and then the showering of love by the students. I have to admit I shed a lot of tears at the end of this show. More tears than I ever would have expected. Being in the locker room with the players after two tough losses has been pretty hard to watch. The production of this series is really really good. It's just so raw. It's kind of been hard for me to watch as there's so much pain and disappointment by our team and coaches. It will be nice to see the next show as we finally had a week with no losses, and a great victory at home. Tuesday can't come fast enough. I LOVE this series. It's great to really see why Gonzaga is loved so much. Just great.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I would prefer to see Naomi Watts vs her hubby Liev. A ten.

sittingon50
02-28-2016, 05:04 PM
I would prefer to see Naomi Watts vs her hubby Liev. A ten.

Wasn't she linked to Bob Zag at one time?

jazzdelmar
02-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Wasn't she linked to Bob Zag at one time?

In his fevered dreams perhaps.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Just watched episode 2. Favorite scene by far was when students chanted "it's not over!" to the team following senior's speeches. Fans lifting up the team and believing in them after a tough loss. Must have felt great for the players.

Zags11
02-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Just watched episode 2. Favorite scene by far was when students chanted "it's not over!" to the team following senior's speeches. Fans lifting up the team and believing in them after a tough loss. Must have felt great for the players.

That was awesome to see in person. This new episode will be amazing.

izzjess
02-28-2016, 08:34 PM
im still waiting to see episode 2...for i do not have hbo

ZagNative
03-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Episode 3 coming up, with first showing at 7:00 Spokane time.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
im still waiting to see episode 2...for i do not have hbo

I watched Episode 1 on YouTube, but I could not find Episode 2 yet (just checked a few minutes ago). Any other ideas?

ZagNative
03-01-2016, 06:30 PM
That was cool. Sabonis shining.

ChicagoZag
03-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Episode 3: Wow! I thought the first half of tonight's show really showed us an interesting, inside look at some of the internal struggles that this team has had and then the last few minutes captured those moments after the BYU game and the joy of those young men, and their coaches, perfectly.

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Coach Few rocked the handstand. Really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

strikenowhere
03-01-2016, 06:47 PM
If the zags make it to the championship game, will HBO do another episode?

jazzdelmar
03-01-2016, 06:48 PM
First half was rough. Few and Lloyd berating team. Then wins and it's clear Sabonis is the man. Hopefully it will be hard for him to leave this kind of environment. Next week will cover first two of the tourney.

jazzdelmar
03-01-2016, 06:49 PM
If the zags make it to the championship game, will HBO do another episode?

Committed to 5 so yes.

ZagNative
03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
I thought that was a beautifully produced episode. Great music and visuals. I'm watching it a second time.

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 07:00 PM
First half was rough. Few and Lloyd berating team. Then wins and it's clear Sabonis is the man. Hopefully it will be hard for him to leave this kind of environment. Next week will cover first two of the tourney.

And it will air the night of the WCC final. Likely broadcast in direct competition with the ESPN coverage of the game. Warm up the DVR. . .

LongIslandZagFan
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
As I suspected... they looked like a ton of weight had been lifted off their shoulders at the end. Hopefully they are poised to make a run

Reborn
03-01-2016, 07:57 PM
More reality TV. Just beautiful really, just for that reason. The joy of victory and the agony of defeat. That famous line from a long time ago (I think it was CBS Sports). It was special for me to see the toughness of coaches, and the response of the players. I was both a player and a coach and it was nice to see the Zags angle on that. I really like Tommy Floyd, and he's a great fit with Mark Few (loved his hand stand, and his enthusiasm for his team. He was like a little kid in that locker room and it WAS great to see.

And the raw, pure joy in the locker room after the BYU victory was so special. The team has been through so much pain and frustration over the last 3 weeks. It was nice to end the season with a great victory over BYU. I like the passion of EMAC.

I liked how Few challenged almost everyone on the team individually to start playing like they know how to play. And he challenged them to get out of their pouting. I loved that. And I equally loved Tommy really calling them out. And I'm glad that fans get to see real, raw coaching from a great progrwam. This footage is so rare. I respect Gonzaga and Mark Few especially for allowing the camera into the locker rooms, huddles and homes of his team. That, imo, takes courage. I hope next week episode is as awesome, and even more awesome. The sky is the limit. I hope the joy knocks the roof off.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
03-01-2016, 08:33 PM
"The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat " was part of the introduction of ABC's Wide World of Sports weekly sports anthology . . .great show.

This HBO series has provided both, as you pointed out, Reborn.

It's a nice complement to the "Decade of Excellence " DVD that was published a few years ago.

ZagaZags
03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
I watched Episode 1 on YouTube, but I could not find Episode 2 yet (just checked a few minutes ago). Any other ideas?

I will post it as soon as it comes available.

Zags11
03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
This was such a great episode. The kids looked relieved as much as anything. We need to always back these kids.

ZagaZags
03-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Here is some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FznJHLEzxWQ&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_h_brXGClQ&feature=player_detailpage

Zags11
03-02-2016, 12:14 AM
Wait that was ep 4? Or 3?

ZagaZags
03-02-2016, 12:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j764KmMsw&feature=player_detailpage

Zags11
03-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Gotcha! Yea I loved the episodes.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-02-2016, 02:59 AM
I feel a lot better about this team's chances in Vegas after watching the end of last night's episode. They look like they are having fun playing basketball.

I also liked seeing Sabonis acknowledge that he has to become the emotional leaader for this team. If the rest of the team plays with his competitive fire, they can beat anybody.

Birddog
03-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Coach Few rocked the handstand. Really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Wait a minute what about that other thread?
I don't get Few's lack of emotion

LongIslandZagFan
03-02-2016, 05:48 AM
"The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat " was part of the introduction of ABC's Wide World of Sports weekly sports anthology . . .great show.

This HBO series has provided both, as you pointed out. It's a nice complement to the "Decade of Excellence " DVD that was published a few years ago.

Via mobile device

Yep... I STILL can see from my childhood that dude wiping out on the ski jump.

Reborn
03-02-2016, 06:05 AM
This documentary has certainly helped me get to know Mark Few better, both as a coach and as a person. It was pretty neat to see him talk about he was preparing for the two games last week. It seemed clear that things needed to change, and that he was going to make some changes. He wasn't sure if they would work, but in the end he said he needed to trust his guts. I liked that, and I do believe that for a coach that IS the bottom line. Whatever it was, it did work. I think Mark Few has been trusting his guts for many years now, and so far his instincts have been right.

GrizZAG
03-02-2016, 06:51 AM
So suppose you are a young man that has great talent and is heavily recruited. You know about Gonzaga and like Gonzaga and it is one of the many schools that are at your doorstep. What impressions is this young player going to take away from this series?

How well is Spokane represented as a desirable place to be?
How is the coaching coming across?
The girls! How is the cross section shown coming across about what to expect?
The players, are they happy to be there, does it look like they are happy with their choice?
What other perceptions might these young lads be tuned into that might have impact on considering Gonzaga?
This IMO is a very important series that has such broad exposure it is critical for our future recruiting and perception is everything.
What could be done better in this series to come out a positive for Gonzaga Basketball?

RenoZag
03-02-2016, 06:57 AM
What could be done better in this series to come out a positive for Gonzaga Basketball?

Besides winning their next three games ?

No more visits to "the basketball house" refrigerator

rennis
03-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Really good episode, I thought the build up to the win at BYU was perfectly scripted and edited by HBO

In the "learned something new" category: Very surprised at how quiet Wiltjer is as a leader, especially being a Senior and team's leading scorer. I know he is just being himself but he's a bit stiff right now if you ask me. KD's summation that the team has a lot of quiet guys was eye opening. Huge opportunity for EMAC and Domas to step up as vocal leaders over the next two weeks (or more, if it works.) I think that is what would take them to the next level as a team.

vandalzag
03-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Really good episode, I thought the build up to the win at BYU was perfectly scripted and edited by HBO

In the "learned something new" category: Very surprised at how quiet Wiltjer is as a leader, especially being a Senior and team's leading scorer. I know he is just being himself but he's a bit stiff right now if you ask me. KD's summation that the team has a lot of quiet guys was eye opening. Huge opportunity for EMAC and Domas to step up as vocal leaders over the next two weeks (or more, if it works.) I think that is what would take them to the next level as a team.

Agreed. I do not think KW is or has ever been a vocal leader and any effort to do so comes off forced.The last couple of episodes have the coaches getting on him. Liked Tommy talking to Emac about cheering for himself. The edit was interesting that we did not get much of any game audio of Few during the BYU game, I would have liked to hear what he said to the refs after the garbage calls. He and Lloyd make a great pair, playing off of each other when communicating with the players. The celebration at the end in the locker room was misty eye moment.

Zagger
03-02-2016, 08:04 AM
So suppose you are a young man that has great talent and is heavily recruited. You know about Gonzaga and like Gonzaga and it is one of the many schools that are at your doorstep. What impressions is this young player going to take away from this series?

How well is Spokane represented as a desirable place to be?
How is the coaching coming across?
The girls! How is the cross section shown coming across about what to expect?
The players, are they happy to be there, does it look like they are happy with their choice?
What other perceptions might these young lads be tuned into that might have impact on considering Gonzaga?
This IMO is a very important series that has such broad exposure it is critical for our future recruiting and perception is everything.

When it comes to Spokane .... It's hard for me in living here, and loving the area's 4 seasons, to comment objectively on how this HBO series thus far has shown Spokane. It's winter and places that are down right beautiful in May/June/etc. now look pretty drab. The series is about the Zags - not really about Spokane. I'm not so sure GU's location makes a huge difference in recruitment. I'm sure it does to a degree but .... GU doesn't seem to be hampered in recruitment. Spokane is also a place that grows on you. The summers here are fantastic! A fair number of past Zags stick around.

I'd say the coaching is coming across as being personal, demanding of excellence and heart felt. The students are great fans and express the affection for the team well in voice & actions. The players certainly look to be having a great time when winning .... and do not take their situation dismissively when losing. The team looks solid - all on the same page when it comes to buying in. The amenities for the team look to be spot on. Overall I'd say the HBO series thus far is a very good reflection of a very good program. Efforts are rewarded. Respect for the players is very evident. The players' respect for their coaches is also very evident. All this, for me, adds up to a series that can only help GU. It is a realistic representation that someone not familiar with GU's program can learn bunches from. No one is going to be misled by anything shown thus far. With two more episodes to go and how well the series has been done so far - I personally can't imagine how this HBO series can't be anything other than an excellent addition to GU's recruitment efforts - both nationally and internationally.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM

Wiltjer isn't really a leader, plain and simple. Not his fault, some guys are natural leaders and some are just ball players. This team's natural leaders (Perkins, Sabonis) are young, so not as effective as experienced senior leaders. The lack of leadership, as alluded to in this episode, is the reason for our struggles this season - hence the need for Sabonis to step into that role.

TheZagPhish
03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Wiltjer isn't really a leader, plain and simple. Not his fault, some guys are natural leaders and some are just ball players. This team's natural leaders (Perkins, Sabonis) are young, so not as effective as experienced senior leaders. The lack of leadership, as alluded to in this episode, is the reason for our struggles this season - hence the need for Sabonis to step into that role.

I agree with this generally, though I think that Wiltjer has tried to do what he can as a leader relying on his natural talents and experience. He understands that he is a senior and as such has a de facto leadership role to play, and he has consistently tried to funnel his good experiences at Kentucky (and winning the title) into his direction for other Zags. These components don't exactly add up to a feisty floor general, but they're what KW can bring, and does.

RenoZag
03-02-2016, 09:34 AM
If KW has been playing through pain due to a bad wheel ( as has been mentioned elsewhere ) and he's giving his all, it's fair to give him credit for leading by example. Not everyone is a born cheerleader or motivational speaker. . .

amaronizag
03-02-2016, 10:46 AM
There have been endless posts about the "team leader" and lack there of over the last few weeks. All of the posts were made by people who don't know the players personally, understand the dynamic between players OFF the court, in practice, in the locker room, or when they are just hanging as friends. I can say that Emac brought enthusiasm, humor, spirit, and contagious enthusiasm to practice even during his red shirt year. The experience of an older player and role model is valuable to younger players. Wiltjer has the experience as an upper classman, a championship at KY, and leads by backing up what he says by putting points on the board. Karno is a larger than life guy who demands respect and leader in that sense of the word. Draino leads by bringing to every game and playing lights out on every play. Domas leads with his will to win and drive to be perfect. Karno was the same way. I think this team is lead by combined effort, enthusiasm, mutual respect, friendship dynamics unapparent while they are on the floor, and a common desire to win. They are also led by the coaches. Leadership is a group effort and every person has to be responsible and step up to his fullest capability every night. The leader varies depending on team matchups and who has a hot hand. We are seeing the team mature and who leads on a given night is going to vary. And I'm OK with that. For the last few years we had mature players. I felt like the team had room to improve a little between December and March, but what we had in December was pretty much what we would have in March. GU was different in that way compared to teams with young players who would improve and mature more over the course of the season. This year we have young players that are maturing over the course of the season. We have to wait to see who will step up and be the "leader" on a given night and if that will be enough. It feels like every player is starting to feel the need, and bring the confidence, to step up and lead when the situation presents itself. I hope they all step up and do themselves proud. I know they want to.

Vanzagger
03-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Great points Phish and Reno

Vanzagger
03-02-2016, 11:01 AM
And way to tie it all together and bring it home amaronizag. I would just like to add some of the most important guys for me the last several years are the Rems and Sorensons. Tell me they don't keep everybody engaged whether up by 20 or down by 3.

Keep it up guys. Iron sharpens iron and we need everybody on their game

Waiting for Bell
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
"Don't be a victim!"

Awesome. Makes sense why Few doesn't march around and pout to the refs during the game. He is trying to instill the fact that the kids need to play through and withstand all the bull*&#% that happens from game to game....... and thats what good teams do. I've criticized Few for not visually sticking up for his players when things turn sour, but after watching last nights episode, it has become something I totally respect about him. Versus BYU, if Few would have pouted after every bad call, he might have changed the teams mentality and the game could easily have ended with a L.

GrizZAG
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Is it possible we are looking for a Kevin Pangos type leader to compare to? I look at teams in the past 15 years or so and have difficulty picking out any one individual that could be defined as a floor general in the mold of a Pangos. KP was something special and unique. Who else over the years can you define like that? Ravio, Bouldin, Sacre, etc?? Not really. Maybe this team is more like the teams of the past in that regard and as Amazon says the leader changes on any given night.

rennis
03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
It was also really good to see that Coach Few still has a photo of me framed on his wall. I was worried he was beginning to forget.

SteelZag
03-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Yep... I STILL can see from my childhood that dude wiping out on the ski jump.

Never missed an episode and it didn't really matter what was on the other "2" channels.

DixieZag
03-02-2016, 01:27 PM
All I can say is that team needed that win in Provo.

Without it? No hope in Vegas IMO.

With it? I suspect they have a lot of hope.

Birddog
03-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Never missed an episode and it didn't really matter what was on the other "2" channels.

Figure 8 racing from West Islip NY was the Bomb!

RenoZag
03-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Figure 8 racing from West Islip NY was the Bomb!

Cliff diving from Acapulco
Barrel Jumping
Chris Economaki reporting from the pits at NASCAR events
World Lumberjack Championships
Calgary Stampede
Pike's Peak Hill Climb
Surfing
Wrist Wrestling from Petaluma
Little League World Series

In "Blazing Saddles," Slim Pickens' character famously shouts " What in the wide wide world of sports is goin' on here !"

SteelZag's comment re: it didn't matter what was on the other two channels made me smile and sigh at the same time.

DixieZag
03-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Cliff diving from Acapulco
Barrel Jumping
Chris Economaki reporting from the pits at NASCAR events
World Lumberjack Championships
Calgary Stampede
Pike's Peak Hill Climb
Surfing
Wrist Wrestling from Petaluma
Little League World Series

In "Blazing Saddles," Slim Pickens' character famously shouts " What in the wide wide world of sports is goin' on here !"

SteelZag's comment re: it didn't matter what was on the other two channels made me smile and sigh at the same time.

The number of channels I have is somewhere around 700. I don't think any of that totally cool stuff is on any of them.

Lots of Ice Road Truckers and aliens, no cliff diving.

Oh well, we have youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MutuAMecIo

Zagger
03-03-2016, 01:52 AM
A look at Episode 3 by Slipper Still Fits .... Keith Ybanez
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/3/2/11147492/recapping-episode-3-of-gonzagas-march-to-madness

It was surprising, but really not that surprising, when Mark Few called Sabonis the team's best leader in this episode. The big man's passion is the team's fuel, and as Kyle Wiltjer said, when he's playing with his frustrated anger, the team starts clicking on all cylinders.

gonzagafan62
03-03-2016, 03:51 AM
Wiltjer is no leader I agree with GF

Anyone remember last years mark Few show? He specifically stated (or someone did, can't remember) that pangos kept Wiltjer in line because he goofs off a bit too much - and it wasn't necessarily a bad thing either

gu03alum
03-03-2016, 04:33 AM
Wiltjer is no leader I agree with GF

Anyone remember last years mark Few show? He specifically stated (or someone did, can't remember) that pangos kept Wiltjer in line because he goofs off a bit too much - and it wasn't necessarily a bad thing either

Doesn't Wiltjer have a National Championship? I think it's a little silly to draw conclusions about someone's leadership skills based on a half hour show.

vandalzag
03-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Doesn't Wiltjer have a National Championship? I think it's a little silly to draw conclusions about someone's leadership skills based on a half hour show.

KW was the 6th man on the team, played 20 minutes a game as a spot up 3 pt shooter. Would never had been considered a leader on that team. Saying he is not a leader is not dig at him, it reflects his personality. He has never been described as cheerleader follow me type player. Asking him to act like that would be out of character.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2016, 05:51 AM

He leads by example... that much is evident. But he isn't going to be the vocal leader... doesn't seem to be his make-up. There is nothing wrong with that. I know me, I am more vocal as a leader (might come from coaching), but I know my son on his soccer team (that I coach), isn't going to be the vocal leader but he leads on the field with toughness, aggressiveness, and smart play. Just different ways of leading. JMHO, this team needs both types. Wish we'd seen more of Karnowski in this... wondering if he was more of a vocal leader.

kitzbuel
03-03-2016, 06:03 AM
KW was the 6th man on the team, played 20 minutes a game as a spot up 3 pt shooter. Would never had been considered a leader on that team. Saying he is not a leader is not dig at him, it reflects his personality. He has never been described as cheerleader follow me type player. Asking him to act like that would be out of character.

Last year's team was so effective because there were clear cut leaders and contributors. Everyone knew their role and filled it to the fullest. Karno's injury really left a deep leadership void in this team. Few knew it early on and spoke about it. Being a leader isn't something that you can assign like a position. An individual has to emerge. Again, no knock at all against KW. He loves being the silent assassin type of player. Always following the play, hanging on the perimeter and killing the opposition. He needs someone to facilitate him in this role. That is what he does.

So Few is still looking for his 'coach on the floor'. I think Domas' experience playing with experienced pros in Spain taught him to be quite, work hard, learn, and don't rock the boat. I am positive that was instilled in him by his dad and is great advice for that level. He has to figure out how to break that mould, though. I have high hopes for him.

Perkins, he wants to do it, but is also young and is still learning how to be a leader. I have high hopes for him, too.

raise the zag
03-03-2016, 06:37 AM

I agree with your sentiment 100%, yet Coach Few said himself there is absolutely, unequivocally no defined leader on this year's team.

He went on to say, of the 'natural' leaders in this group, they are just too young/inexperienced at the moment to take over, subsequently putting more pressure on the Coaches to keep their minds right.

Matter of fact, Coach mentioned it was his greatest concern heading into the season.

This was mentioned on Coach Greenberg's and Andy Katz' podcast back in November.

I gotta take his word for it -- Wiltjer is not a leader in the sense of the term. There are different types of leaders, just as Sabonis is as shy as they come, even struggles to hold eye contact with those closest to him, he's still the emotional leader of the team.

Wiltjer is a damn fine basketball talent who leads the team with results, but not a directional, vocal, leader of the team. Not in the realm of a team leader as Pangos, Pargo, Sacre, Dickau, even Ronny and David Stockton were as upper clansmen, et al.

Interestingly enough, Karnowski was emerging as a lockerroom/practice/off-season leader until his injury forced him away from the team. This was mentioned by numerous people close to the team (off record).

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
The 3rd HBO episode definitely revealed a lot about this team and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was shocked by how silent and lifeless they appeared during the practice before departing for San Diego / BYU road trip, when Lloyd and Few got on them and basically kicked them all off the court. Almost seemed like guys are afraid to speak up, other than McClellan, but that's not really fair as it may just be a while the HBO cameras are on kind of effect.

As noted already, the amount of enthusiasm and energy they expressed after winning @ BYU felt like a pressure valve release and I think it's a good sign heading into WCC tourney. Zags gotta play loose and aggressive..go out and take the WCC tourney like the 1st place team they are and not play/act like victims, which Few reprimanded them for. Sabonis is the key going forward, imho, because he seems to be the only guy the players will rally behind on the court in the midst of a game if things aren't going well. Hope KW is getting some rest and rehab on his foot....we need him to be a postseason All-American!

kitzbuel
03-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Almost seemed like guys are afraid to speak up, other than McClellan, but that's not really fair as it may just be a while the HBO cameras are on kind of effect.

Observer Effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_%28physics%29)

DixieZag
03-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Last year's team was so effective because there were clear cut leaders and contributors. Everyone knew their role and filled it to the fullest. Karno's injury really left a deep leadership void in this team. Few knew it early on and spoke about it. Being a leader isn't something that you can assign like a position. An individual has to emerge. Again, no knock at all against KW. He loves being the silent assassin type of player. Always following the play, hanging on the perimeter and killing the opposition. He needs someone to facilitate him in this role. That is what he does.

So Few is still looking for his 'coach on the floor'. I think Domas' experience playing with experienced pros in Spain taught him to be quite, work hard, learn, and don't rock the boat. I am positive that was instilled in him by his dad and is great advice for that level. He has to figure out how to break that mould, though. I have high hopes for him.

Perkins, he wants to do it, but is also young and is still learning how to be a leader. I have high hopes for him, too.

Well put.

Zagceo
03-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Eric has emerged as a vocal emotional leader in the locker room and Domas on the court.

TL comment to Eric in practice…….you gotta start cheering for yourself more……… just like you cheer for your teammates……. probably could have been said to a majority of players.

The "attack mode" leaders on this team….are the coaches IMO.

Few & Co …not their first rodeo……….

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Anyone have update?

ChicagoZag
03-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Anyone have update?

Tonight we learn that Wiltjer knows how to recruit a bowler....

Friend of mine texted me to ask if I knew about the documentary and asked if I was watching it. Had to explain that I needed to save it for after the WCC Championship that was currently happening. What a great dessert tonight's show made! Showing the preparation for the Portland game. Enjoyed the scene at the hibatchi the night before the game. Thought it showed a group of true friends having a good time together. Through these last few weeks of basketball, and through what I've seen on the documentary, I have come to really appreciate and admire what this undermanned team has accomplished .

I thought last week's episode was particularly great in that it captured a team reestablishing its own confidences. When I saw it and knowing how things went now, I think it was a great insight on how this team seemed to find itself in the last two weeks. Now they can be proud and cheer for themselves like Tommy Lloyd suggested.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanks Chicago

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Had we given it a moment's thought, we should have known we'd win tonight. It's HBO's series. Just like most good TV or movie, plot line is: Interesting player or team, full of promise, then struggles, looks like they'll lose, an emotional speech, massive turnaround, wins. I think we're destined to win the NC. :)

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2016, 09:43 PM
I held off watching until today. I felt, up until now, it might not be the best thing for the team. Hindsight, winning the WCC (I guess?) negates that.

It's a very good show! Wasn't sure how it would be. But it's cool. The narration is good and they seem to recognize the value and importance of the games.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2016, 04:39 AM
Gayle is the bowling GOAT... well at least for Wiltjer's team.

As someone said... great dessert... cherry on top of the sundae that was tonight. Love how they left BYU game and tonights game for the finale... well that and selection Sunday.

Wondering if they stick around with GU during the tourney in case they want to make a follow-up.

Emac is coming out of this as one of my favorite Zags. He appreciates what GU did for him and truly loves the school. Ironically, it would have been hard to know the depth of appreciation and love without this series. GU turned his life around for the better.

gu03alum
03-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Had we given it a moment's thought, we should have known we'd win tonight. It's HBO's series. Just like most good TV or movie, plot line is: Interesting player or team, full of promise, then struggles, looks like they'll lose, an emotional speech, massive turnaround, wins. I think we're destined to win the NC. :)

Have you watched Hard Knocks? Other than this years Texans, most of the teams on that show don't even sniff the playoffs. That Texans team had the great fortune of playing in a terrible division made worse by the Colts losing Luck for much of the season.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2016, 08:44 AM

I'll give Kyle credit for speaking out during the timeout after Eric hit that 3. EMac and Josh were really amped up, rightfully so. Kyle spoke up in the huddle, and though I couldn't read his lips on everything, he got his teammates refocused for the final minute. I should probably take another look at it, but that's the way it appeared to me in real time.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Next wk's epi will be epic. HBO stepped in it big time and good for the Zags.

ZagNative
03-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Watching Episode 4 again. I loved Few cautioning the team during the Portland game, "Don't let them climb up into our junk dn here now." Can someone translate for me? I know what "junk" means, I just don't know what the risk was of Portland climbing up into it ... The mental image is a little bit tough for me to grasp...

meadgrad02
03-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned. I tried to do a search and came up with nothing. Does anyone know if the HBO series will be coming out on Blu-Ray or DVD in the near future for all of us unlucky people without HBO to watch it. Thank you!

FuManShoes
03-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Rather than waiting on a disc, I'd recommend signing up for a free trial of streaming HBO Now service so you can watch the series while it's timely:

https://order.hbonow.com/providers
http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/17/rec/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1NzYyNzk5Ny9zaWQvdl9zb0E3TG0%3D

former1dog
03-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Rather than waiting on a disc, I'd recommend signing up for a free trial of streaming HBO Now service so you can watch the series while it's timely:

https://order.hbonow.com/providers
http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/17/rec/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1NzYyNzk5Ny9zaWQvdl9zb0E3TG0%3D

I finally figured this out last night and watched all the episodes last night. What a treat! And all for $0.00

ZagaZags
03-11-2016, 11:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0y60QdJ5cWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_GDjj0GSm_g

Episode #4 Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pfNupHDK3Dw

ZagaZags
03-11-2016, 11:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b0B8zBHU72Y

ZagaZags
03-11-2016, 11:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y2tDxq1KprU

Zags11
03-12-2016, 12:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y2tDxq1KprU

Whoooooooooo. Time to watch it again.

ZagNative
03-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Looking forward to the series final at 10:00 pm tonight. I've just really loved the shows.

Section 116
03-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Show did air at 7pm this evening on HBO channel 550, also on 551 @10pm PDT. Available again on 551 @ midnight! Series wraps up nicely!

gonzagafan62
03-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Zags vs All

Zag_Dad
03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
This year's team is a TEAM!

TheZagPhish
03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Series wraps up nicely!

So well done. What a season!

Zags11
03-16-2016, 02:42 AM
Plus I was on HBO. Thank you, thank you! I'll sign autographs after.

Zagger
03-16-2016, 03:15 AM
I don't see how the HBO episodes could have been done any better. Great PR for GU and an excellent keepsake for the guys - especially the seniors. I definitely would buy a few Blu-rays when they come out. They'll make great gifts for us Zag fans to help spread Zagville.
It's-Not-Over! Go Zags!

gonzagafan62
03-16-2016, 04:16 AM
I don't see how the HBO episodes could have been done any better. Great PR for GU and an excellent keepsake for the guys - especially the seniors. I definitely would buy a few Blu-rays when they come out. They'll make great gifts for us Zag fans to help spread Zagville.
It's-Not-Over! Go Zags!

That's my next question. Is it coming out on DVD?

23dpg
03-16-2016, 05:33 AM
Great finale last night. This year has been special in a way no one would have predicted at the start of the season.

GrizZAG
03-16-2016, 06:03 AM
Episode 5 was really done well. My question regarding whether this series would help Zag recruiting was thoroughly answered. Absolutely. The harmonious close knit team relations has got to be really attractive to the high character kids out there considering their options.

Well done HBO! Thank you

rennis
03-16-2016, 06:53 AM
I thought the whole series was awesome. HBO couldn't have picked a better team to build this idea around. Perfect execution, really beautiful camera work and editing. I'm really impressed. Thanks HBO.

Plainsman
03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
A professional screenwriter could hardly have written a better story. Team ranked in the top ten to start the season faces the reality of a young and/or struggling group of guards and the early season loss of Big Shem, a critical part of the team puzzle. Following uncharacteristic losses to good out of conference teams at home, the team enters the regular season still in transition as fans question whether this team will ever 'gel', facing a possibility of missing March Madness for the first time in seventeen years.

Then, over the course of the regular season, the rookies and the veterans (one of whom is trying to bring a championship to a school who granted him a potential life saving second chance) begin to piece together a tentative formula for success only to lose two regular season games to their bitter rival (one given away and one poorly played on Senior Night, no less). Although they win a share of the regular season conference title, the loss grants the one seed in the conference tourney to their bitter rival and they face the harsh reality that only with a conference tournament championship will they be able to keep the March Madness streak alive. The rest, as told beautifully in the series finale is History!!!

What a great story for this Zag team and Zag Nation.

Zagceo
03-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Let's hope we hear next year………"and the EMMY goes to GONZAGA" :clap:

jazzdelmar
03-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Last epi was the best. A stunning accomplishment, 18 straight, now that you think about it. Great t shirts as well. Love to get one. But right now. Eighteen years ago, I picked well. Go Zags.

23dpg
03-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Last epi was the best. A stunning accomplishment, 18 straight, now that you think about it. Great t shirts as well. Love to get one. But right now. Eighteen years ago, I picked well. Go Zags.

Love to hear your story. Was it random?

FuManShoes
03-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I teared up when Norm Few teared up. What a great series.

CdAZagFan
03-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Like Plainsman said above, couldn't have written a better script for this series... Now did HBO write the script and give it to Few as the season unfolded, or did the players purposely develop the script just to make it a better TV series?

Either way, IT'S NOT O-VER!

Ebay
03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Plus I was on HBO. Thank you, thank you! I'll sign autographs after.

My dad was too! He was the fan interviewed before the St. Mary's game at the alumni event. I was terrified when he told me he got interviewed, but his short interview turned out pretty good! Consider me surprised haha.

jazzdelmar
03-16-2016, 11:04 AM
My dad was too! He was the fan interviewed before the St. Mary's game at the alumni event. I was terrified when he told me he got interviewed, but his short interview turned out pretty good! Consider me surprised haha.

Dads rock....

rawkmandale
03-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I enjoyed the series very much. However, I thought the start of episode 5 was weird, in that it began with a short piece about Selection Sunday, and gave away the information that Gonzaga had done what it had to do in the conference tournament, then switched back to the previous weekend to display the BYU and St. Mary's games. That would lessen the impact on a viewer who didn't know how the conference tournament played out. That is the only nit I have to pick. The last 5 minutes were especially beautiful, showing St. Al's and Spokane in quality lighting, one last piece of Coach Few fishing, the tear drop in Norm Few's eye, the joy of the players after the championship, highlights from the basketball banquet at McCarthy, and the closing shot of Coach Few - appropriate - because he drove this team to succeed.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Dads rock....

Tell that to my kids...:lmao:

I'm at a very awkward stage right now: my 28 YO daughter now thinks I'm a pretty smart guy, my 26 YO son is hardly around (but his GF gave me some great coffee for Christmas), my 14 YO son is usually embarrassed to be seen with me in public, but my 5 YO grandson thinks I'm the best Opa around, because I'm the only one that plays Doggie Doo with him (the game is like it sounds, young boys think it's great).

jazzdelmar
03-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Tell that to my kids...:lmao:

I'm at a very awkward stage right now: my 28 YO daughter now thinks I'm a pretty smart guy, my 26 YO son is hardly around (but his GF gave me some great coffee for Christmas), my 14 YO son is usually embarrassed to be seen with me in public, but my 5 YO grandson thinks I'm the best Opa around, because I'm the only one that plays Doggie Doo with him (the game is like it sounds, young boys think it's great).

Same boat, Tex. Screw the kids, grands are beyond grand. I have 5

Mantua
03-16-2016, 02:07 PM
I was touched by a scene in the locker room after the win against St. Mary's. While Coach was praising the team for their courage, Domas reached out to gather in Eric and Kyle W.