PDA

View Full Version : HBO Gonzaga Series Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

zagbeliever
03-16-2016, 03:35 PM
I really hope to purchase this for gifts. I loved it so much. It made me love the team anymore. HBO has to be thrilled with the drama of this year's team's season and how they fought to win. I'm sure they weren't expecting it initially but what a great story. :clap:

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Any chance that HBO will continue the series through the next week of play?

Reborn
03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
I finally found time to see the 5th and last show. Just Amazing and touching. Heartfelt. I love how Mark Few loves this team in a special way, and I feel the same way, and I know others do too. This really is NOT like any other team in the last 18 years.. I just feel it in my heart. This team finally has the chemistry and cohesiveness that it will take to go forward now. I don't think anyone can deny that Gonzaga is on a roll and peaking now. But so is Seton Hall. So I'm sure they are pretty fired up over in their fan base too. I see our guards finally maturing and playing with confidence. These guys are all great players, Perkins, EMAC, Dranginis and Melson and are finally letting their talent show. We all know that guard play is so very important in the NCAA Tournament and I'm beginning to see the kind of guard play we will need to move forward up the ladder.

I think what makes this team so special is that so many people have doubted them, and even many abandoned this Zag Ship. But the ship never sank and the Zags sail on. From the very beginning, when the team began to lose and they lost Karnowski, I called this team The Comeback Kids, and I have held on to that all season. Expectations were very high before Karno went down, and pretty much stayed down all year. But when I thought of this name for them, it was the only name that fit. It was obvious that they were going to struggle and lose more than we thought they would. They sank in the polls week after week until they disappeared into the darkness. So I knew that if they were going to end up making it into the Dance that they would indeed have to resemble all come-back kids from the past.

Somehow the Zags appeared to bed dead, burned into ashes. But in that death they came together and found life. Like the Phoenix, they seem to have risen from the dead. Everyone seems to be playing well now, and they are playing together. The final HBO show showed us that they are a band of brothers, and they seem to love each other in a way that no other team did. I like that a lot. God bless them all. Good nite Zags. Tomorrow is your day, a great day, and a great day to be a Zag.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-17-2016, 01:17 AM
I watched the final HBO episode last night. Love hearing Coach Few call this the toughest team he has ever coached. Zags just gotta stay mentally tough tonight when the initial shock of Seton Hall's defensive intensity hits, which I believe will be quite different from any WCC team's defense. Just focus on playing your own game and "let 'er rip" Zags!!!

DZ
03-17-2016, 03:39 AM
The cinematography is beautiful. I'm not sure if they use film throughout, but the movie film they do use makes it appear that much more "real" and heartfelt. Plus, the camera angles, use of super slo-mo, and the editing, that stuff is not easy to do, not at all.

Zags_Fanatic
03-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Any chance that HBO will continue the series through the next week of play?

No chance, contract was 5 episodes through the end of the WCC tourney. Extending it would mean keeping the HBO crew with the team during the tourney and they left on Monday. This is pure conjecture but I wonder if they would have had problems getting full access during the NCAA's premier event.

GoZags
04-20-2016, 08:17 AM
A couple of key stats to this epic series .... Considered a "success" by HBO and by Gonzaga.

Ratings increased each week the series aired

Hits to the Men's Basketball home site increased 240 percent over '15 during the series

Hits to GoZags.com approached 900,000 which represents a 51 percent increase over '15

MANY of the "new" visitors were High School Juniors from around the country.

Series was "loved" by recruits and their families.

The "Gonzaga - March to Madness" series is still available through various "on demand"'services but it will not be available for DVD.

As an added note, Gonzaga Basketball was the only college entity approached concerning embedding an HBO team for the series (which evolved in concept from a Season Long series to the final 5 weeks leading up to Selection Sunday).

strikenowhere
04-20-2016, 08:19 AM
A couple of key stats to this epic series .... Considered a "success" by HBO and by Gonzaga.

Hits to the Men's Basketball home site increased 240 percent over '15 during the series

Hits to GoZags.com approached 900,000 which represents a 51 percent increase over '15

The "Gonzaga - March to Madness" series is still available through various "on demand"'services but it will not be available for DVD.

As an added note, Gonzaga Basketball was the only college entity approached concerning embedding a team of for the series (which evolved in concept from a Season Long series to the final 5 weeks leading up to Selection Sunday).

That is some good recruiting info that's for sure!

jazzdelmar
04-20-2016, 09:26 AM
HBO sure stepped in it switching to a season ending, cliffhanger treatment. Season long would have been much less dramatic. Still, would have been cool if HBO added some post season segments. If Zags got to FF, imagine the play then.

Mr Vulture
04-20-2016, 09:51 AM
How about an encore next year for the Zags and HBO?? :pray:

cjm720
04-20-2016, 11:48 AM
For those without HBO, Comcast/xfinity is having a watch atom this week and access to the show is free assuming you have Comcast and on demand.

The series was excellent!!

Zagger
04-20-2016, 12:44 PM

As an added note, Gonzaga Basketball was the only college entity approached concerning embedding an HBO team for the series (which evolved in concept from a Season Long series to the final 5 weeks leading up to Selection Sunday).

That no DVD part seems rather foolish*. I'd buy at least 5 copies for Christmas gifts. I'm hoping that a DVD, Bluray, etc. crops up on gozags.com for sale.
*Unless it has to do with privacy rights of the players, the original contract, yadda, yadda ......

sittingon50
04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
That no DVD part seems rather foolish*. I'd buy at least 5 copies for Christmas gifts. I'm hoping that a DVD, Bluray, etc. crops up on gozags.com for sale.
*Unless it has to do with privacy rights of the players, the original contract, yadda, yadda ......

I would be willing to send a care package to any of you guys in prison if you could shoot me a copy.

ZAG'em
04-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Just tried to send the recording from one of my Tivo's to another that has larger drive. It was protected and won't even let me move it.

Rangerzag
04-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Comcast is trolling premium channels for free this week

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/microsite/watchathon?mid=15001188&rid=2807554&mid=20160418_Watchathon_Touch3_Non_PREM

zagfan24
04-21-2016, 05:41 AM
I thought the series was very well done overall. I'm sure to most of the rapid fans on this board a lot of the information wasn't new, but the larger audience surely learned a lot of great things about the Gonzaga program.

In particular, it was nice to see that there was no non-basketball related drama. That's probably as much a credit to the team and their chemistry as well as Few's leadership, as reality shows can be great at manufacturing drama out of even the smallest tidbits of chaos. A credit to HBO that they let the drama of the final weeks and WCC tournament play the major role.

Zagger
11-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Anyone heard if the HBO gig was ever available on DVD or other format?

sittingon50
11-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, Zagger. Not meaning to hijack your question?

I just added ESPNU for the 1st time (for the basketball season). I now have HBO. Can someone walk this rookie thru the process of watching this series? Will I be charged extra for each episode or can I watch them in one shot? Thank you.

Zags_Fanatic
11-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for bringing this up, Zagger. Not meaning to hijack your question?

I just added ESPNU for the 1st time (for the basketball season). I now have HBO. Can someone walk this rookie thru the process of watching this series? Will I be charged extra for each episode or can I watch them in one shot? Thank you.

If you have HBO you have access to all HBO content and won't be charged for anything. If it isn't on On-Demand on your TV your HBO Subscription also gives you access to an HBO GO account for free on computers, phones and tablets and the series is definitely on there for you to watch.

Enjoy!

sittingon50
11-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks much, Fanatic.