PDA

View Full Version : Come on Zags! Wake up!

Reborn
02-15-2016, 09:57 AM
It's about time to start playing with a chip on your shoulders, and to stop being the nice guy (Wiltjer). I'd just love to see Kyle Wiltjer feel some passion for his team and for the game of basketball. The basketball establishment, in my opinion, wants the Zags out of the NCAA Tournament. And the Zags seem to be willing to accomadate them. It's getting late in the season, and it's time to become fighters, warriors, a team with passion and chemistry. Are you going to be the Come Back Kids? Or are you going to get up tight and fold?
I'm exciting to find out who this team really is?

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-15-2016, 10:00 AM
I didn't think of Wiltjer as lacking passion last year. I remember for sure he was plenty fired up during the game against Pacific when he scored over 40. Maybe that has been lacking this year. He certainly doesn't appear to have the same type of temperament or on court persona as Sabonis, but not many do.

Outraged
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
I think right now they're playing as good as any zag team and each one percent of incremental improvements will pay big dividends. They're just late to the party.

zagzilla
02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Love they way they shared the ball much of the SMU game and all of the Portland game. When they move the ball like that and get lots of assists, they will be tough to beat.

Somehow they got out of that mode for the last 10 minutes when SMU cranked up the defense.

Zags11
02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
I feel we are on the upswing. Good teams usually win at home and SMU held court. I feel if we were at home we win by same score. It is what it is. I believe we win both games this week and are 22-6.

Goshzagit
02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I thought we played pretty well vs SMU save a 5 min scoreless stretch in 2nd half.

Our guards didn't handle their fronts very well, nor containing Nic Moore (who does?), otherwise we hung tough with a Top-20 team who has crushed GOOD teams all season long.

Not mention they have lost 1 home game in last 2 years.

Honestly, Wiltjer attempted 17 shots, made 2 of them.

Even IF he goes 35%, as in 6 of 17, we probably win the game. Those 4 shots are an 8-12 pt swing, not to mention the mental affect they would have had...

When we went up 7, Wiljter missed 5 consecutive shots, 3 of those were 3's. He makes one, we go up 10 =

Momentum changer for us and them.

Wiltjer's misses kept us out of extending a lead and allowing them to gain confidence.

SMU rallied around their defense on Kyle. It was palpable.

As our guards continue to try and find Wiltjer, we had empty possessions due to his missed attempt or lack of confidence. In hindsight, our guards should have attempted more shots and/or given them to Domas.

CdAZagFan
02-15-2016, 09:50 PM
I am assuming this team will have more intensity and passion heading down the stretch - I can't imagine anyone in that locker room wanting to be a part of a team that ends the 17-year run in the Big Dance...

ZagaZags
02-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Beat Pacific and Saint Mary's this week and the #1 seed is going to GU. (USD isn't going to beat GU.)

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-16-2016, 04:46 AM
I am assuming this team will have more intensity and passion heading down the stretch - I can't imagine anyone in that locker room wanting to be a part of a team that ends the 17-year run in the Big Dance...

I'm with you CdAZ, it's now time for a sense of urgency to not be THAT team on whose watch the consecutive tourney appearances streak ends with.

I'm optimistic because on the whole this team is playing its best ball of the season of late save for losing defensive focus vs SMU (and Nic Moore in particular) at critical moments in the 2nd half and a horrendous shooting night from KW.

Sabonis was in beast mode vs SMU; Melson is becoming the confident scorer we have been expecting him to be while remaining a defensive gem; KW will be fine...though I agree with Reborn, he needs to bring the intensity every night from here on out; Perkins is playing very well facilitating the offense (and rebounding and getting steals) and his shooting % will average up soon; McClellan and Dranginis are stepping up and knocking down shots.

All the pieces are in place for Zags to make a run down the homestretch. I'm hoping they win out vs WCC and put the bubbledrama to rest by winning the WCC tourney too. Then they can head into the big Dance with all kinds of confidence and momentum (and 2 weeks off to get ready physically!).

Birddog
02-16-2016, 05:10 AM
CDC has been saying it for months and I agree. Either one of Sabonis or Wiltjer at their worst, have to have games that are at least near their season average. The guard play has improved and if only one falls off avg they can survive a game because the others tend to pick up the slack. If one of the 2 bigs falls off, the rest of the team can't seem to make up the difference. I just don't understand why Edwards hasn't been given more game time to develop during the course of the season. A more complete Edwards would do wonders to help the team if either Bonus or Wilt has an off game.

HenneZag
02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
I was pretty confident heading into the SMU game with the way this team has been playing. Their were many positives but just as many negatives.

Melson is taking huge strides and has a new confidence about him. Perks is making big shots as well as KD. We need all 3 of these guys if we want to make a run.

Perkins still has some head scratching plays and turnovers but he is improving. Wiltjer...I don't know what to say, not sure I've seen a game where a great shooter struggled that bad. If he would've made a 1/4 of his shots we had a shot to win that game. It was painful to say the least. Nic Moore dissected us, a one man show.

I'm very confident this week that we walk over SMC. We will not let those guys take us at home and I like the way this team is playing even with the shooting woes last game.

seacatfan
02-16-2016, 08:30 AM
I just don't understand why Edwards hasn't been given more game time to develop during the course of the season. A more complete Edwards would do wonders to help the team if either Bonus or Wilt has an off game.

Just conjecture on my part, but it seems fairly evident that Few just doesn't trust Edwards for anything more than spot minutes. It's too bad, really needed one more big in the rotation after Karnowski went out. Might depend on if either or both Karno and Sabonis return next year, but even if both are gone, with all the new bigs entering the program next year, I could easily see Edwards getting lost in a numbers game. He's in his third year, I thought we'd see more development by this point.

TexasZagFan
02-16-2016, 10:19 AM
I was pretty confident heading into the SMU game with the way this team has been playing. Their were many positives but just as many negatives.

Melson is taking huge strides and has a new confidence about him. Perks is making big shots as well as KD. We need all 3 of these guys if we want to make a run.

Perkins still has some head scratching plays and turnovers but he is improving. Wiltjer...I don't know what to say, not sure I've seen a game where a great shooter struggled that bad. If he would've made a 1/4 of his shots we had a shot to win that game. It was painful to say the least. Nic Moore dissected us, a one man show.

I'm very confident this week that we walk over SMC. We will not let those guys take us at home and I like the way this team is playing even with the shooting woes last game.

It all comes down to Wiltjer scoring 4 points. We had some defensive lapses, but overall it was the type of game we needed against a physical and athletic team on their court.

They were also reminded what happens when you're not alert on defense. SMU made us pay time and again for snoozing on defense, not talking to each other, etc. Coaches will use this game to reinforce the teaching points in practice.

vandalzag
02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
It all comes down to Wiltjer scoring 4 points. We had some defensive lapses, but overall it was the type of game we needed against a physical and athletic team on their court.

They were also reminded what happens when you're not alert on defense. SMU made us pay time and again for snoozing on defense, not talking to each other, etc. Coaches will use this game to reinforce the teaching points in practice.

Agreed. I think that lack of communication was one of the main reasons Few went away from the zone. Can play zone if you do not talk. Credit to SMU who was able to counter everything GU threw at them. I think an extra day between the games would have been more beneficial from a game prep perspective as opposed to resting the kids.

surfmonkey89
02-16-2016, 02:33 PM

This has been brought up a lot, and my question is: do people really think this was just bad luck? (note: I realize you personally aren't saying this right here, so bear with me).

SMU was flying all over the court, and KW responded poorly at first, missing several shots, until he eventually stopped shooting altogether. In addition, there were multiple occasion were Kyle was actually WIDE OPEN, and Perkins took the shot. The announcers mentioned it on multiple occasions, and it's highly unlikely that they "just hate Perk".

I agree with CDC's take that we need both KW and DS to excel to be good teams; having Kyle willingly passing up shots killed us. I understand his mentality there - try to help the team in other ways etc - but it's not something this team can afford. Whatever, water under the bridge and focus on the next game.

The other factor, besides defense, was that most of his shots were rimming short. This is usually related to the legs not being there, which begs the question: why did our main guys play so much when we were destroying Portland? No excuse for that, especially when losing a day compared to previous years, schedule-wise.

Finally, after a not-so-good start, we came back with a vengeance and took a nice lead. At that point Doris Burke mentioned that on the previous 10 scoring possessions, we had 9 assists. Maybe it was 9 and 8, but the point stands: we were succeeding by spreading it around. It's too bad we got away from that, as it would have taken advantage of SMU's swarming D.

We were better in stretches, they were better in stretches. They were best in the final stretch, so they won. Pretty simple. As I said, time to focus on the next four games and, failing that, winning three in Vegas.

sittingon50
02-16-2016, 02:39 PM
IMO yes, surf; just bad luck.

Reborn
02-17-2016, 07:41 AM
The loss will make the Zags tougher, especially mentally tougher which is really what this team has lacked all year. Watching the documentary last night on the Zags showed me that the team really took the loss bad. It hurt. I have always believed in a good loss, and this was one. SMU lost at home (the only loss at home in two years) to Tulsa a week before playing us. That loss for them was extremely motivating. They were NOT going to lose again, and they turned to their leader, Nic Moore and he had a great game. I'm looking for the Zags to be really tough now, and will beat Pacific and St Mary's at home to show it.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
02-17-2016, 08:27 AM
I was just looking at the NCAA scores last night and West Virginia ranked #10 lost to Texas who is ranked #24. Gonzaga, unranked loses to SMU ranked #12 by abut the same margin. And Iowa St, ranked #13 lost to Baylor, #25 by about the same margin as Gonzaga lost to #12 SMU. Now we all know that neither West Virginia nor Iowa St are worrying about making it to the NCAA Tournament. So why is everyone here worrying so much. Gonzaga has NO bad losses. NONE. And losing by 9 to SMU in their arena is a good loss.

The Zags have a great chance this weekend to put all this speculation about whether or not we'll make it to the NCAA Tournament to rest. All they need to do is beat St Mary's soundly. Go do it Zags! You can do it. Time for you to believe. You're much better than St Mary's. MUCH BETTER. Go knock 'em out.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-17-2016, 08:31 AM
G
I was just looking at the NCAA scores last night and West Virginia ranked #10 lost to Texas who is ranked #24. Gonzaga, unranked loses to SMU ranked #12 by abut the same margin. And Iowa St, ranked #13 lost to Baylor, #25 by about the same margin as Gonzaga lost to #12 SMU. Now we all know that neither West Virginia nor Iowa St are worrying about making it to the NCAA Tournament. So why is everyone here worrying so much. Gonzaga has NO bad losses. NONE. And losing by 9 to SMU in their arena is a good loss.

Go Zags!!!

Life on the bubble is so stressful

seacatfan
02-17-2016, 09:15 AM

The Zags have a great chance this weekend to put all this speculation about whether or not we'll make it to the NCAA Tournament to rest. All they need to do is beat St Mary's soundly. Go do it Zags! You can do it. Time for you to believe. You're much better than St Mary's. MUCH BETTER. Go knock 'em out.

Go Zags!!!

I agree with the point that beating good teams on the road is difficult to do. However West Virginia and Iowa St. aren't sweating about making the NCAA Tourney because they both have a number of quality wins that the Zags have nothing equal to. The Big 12 is fairly stacked, giving each team a bunch of chances at quality wins.

Just looked at schedules. Iowa St. has beaten Colorado, Iowa, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas.

West Virginia's wins aren't nearly as impressive. Best OOC is probably San Diego St. Have beaten Kansas and Iowa St. in conference.

Still both team's wins trump GU's pair over bubble teams UW and UConn by a wide margin.

TheZagPhish
02-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Life on the bubble is so stressful

Keep your emergency oxygen handy.

http://cl.ly/fALX/top-gear-oxygen-1.gif

http://cl.ly/fAsO/top-gear-oxygen-2.gif http://cl.ly/fArJ/top-gear-oxygen-3.gif
http://cl.ly/fAzv/top-gear-oxygen-4.gif http://cl.ly/fANU/top-gear-oxygen-5.gif
http://cl.ly/fAuT/top-gear-oxygen-6.gif http://cl.ly/fAd2/top-gear-oxygen-7.gif

Reborn
02-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I agree with the point that beating good teams on the road is difficult to do. However West Virginia and Iowa St. aren't sweating about making the NCAA Tourney because they both have a number of quality wins that the Zags have nothing equal to. The Big 12 is fairly stacked, giving each team a bunch of chances at quality wins.

Just looked at schedules. Iowa St. has beaten Colorado, Iowa, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas.

West Virginia's wins aren't nearly as impressive. Best OOC is probably San Diego St. Have beaten Kansas and Iowa St. in conference.

Still both team's wins trump GU's pair over bubble teams UW and UConn by a wide margin.

So Gonzaga is penalized for not being in one of the top 6 conferences? Is that what you're saying? I'm saying we are equal to or better than most of the top 25 teams. Play any of them home and home and I'm sure we would do fine. We'd do fine in any conference, imo. I think that this year especially that the big 6 is over rated.....Gonzaga will get in.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
02-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Outside of some fans who write here on GU Boards, I don't see where it says GU is on the bubble. Lundardi has us as a 9 seed. We ranked 31 on Coaches pol, 31 on BPI. None of this indicates we're a bubble team. Let's go for a 7 or six seed now. I think the 5 seed is out now that we lost to SMU.

Go Zags!!!

gonstu
02-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Outside of some fans who write here on GU Boards, I don't see where it says GU is on the bubble. Lundardi has us as a 9 seed. We ranked 31 on Coaches pol, 31 on BPI. None of this indicates we're a bubble team. Let's go for a 7 or six seed now. I think the 5 seed is out now that we lost to SMU.

Go Zags!!!

Bracket Matrix would seem to indicate zags are a bubble team (one of the 12-seeds): http://bracketmatrix.com

Teamrankings shows a 76% for zags dancing, but more closely looking: if they lose at BYU and lose in the tournament (I think we can all agree that's at least POSSIBLE): it gives zags a 47% chance of getting in. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/gonzaga-bulldogs/bracketology

Sounds like bubble team to me!

seacatfan
02-17-2016, 01:25 PM
So Gonzaga is penalized for not being in one of the top 6 conferences? Is that what you're saying? I'm saying we are equal to or better than most of the top 25 teams. Play any of them home and home and I'm sure we would do fine. We'd do fine in any conference, imo. I think that this year especially that the big 6 is over rated.....Gonzaga will get in.

Go Zags!!!

I'm not sure that it's being penalized, but they just don't have the number of opportunities to play good teams that the Power 5 conference members do. Part of getting into the Tourney is "who did you beat?" I keep hearing the "no bad losses" mantra repeated, but I think good wins are more important than absence of bad losses. I'm not saying GU won't get in this year, I'm just pointing out why Iowa St. and West Virginia aren't sweating. If GU had played and beaten Kansas this year, their resume would look a whole lot better, yes?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-17-2016, 02:28 PM

Go Zags!!!

CBSSports has Zags on the bubble, and I happen to agree with them. Anyone who thinks Zags are in good shape for an at-large bid is drinking too much kool-aid. Winning out in WCC and making it to WCC tourney championship game seems like the only scenario Zags could hope for an at-large...depending on what WCC team they would lose to in the championship game to need the at-large bid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25482729/bubble-tracker-gonzaga-faces-smu-in-a-near-must-win-game

Gonzaga loses at SMU

Gonzaga was competitive at SMU, but came up short 69-60. The Zags at-large profile doesn't offer much hope for a bid. Keep in mind that if they need an at-large bid, that means a loss to a team that hurts them in the conference tournament.

Reborn
02-17-2016, 04:02 PM
CBSSports has Zags on the bubble, and I happen to agree with them. Anyone who thinks Zags are in good shape for an at-large bid is drinking too much kool-aid. Winning out in WCC and making it to WCC tourney championship game seems like the only scenario Zags could hope for an at-large...depending on what WCC team they would lose to in the championship game to need the at-large bid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25482729/bubble-tracker-gonzaga-faces-smu-in-a-near-must-win-game

Call me any name you like. I happen to agree with Lunardi, and he has us in. Oh, and by the way he has almost 100% success rate in his picks. I have always agreed with Joe. I believe there are so many people who would love Gonzaga to NOT make it to the NCAA's for no other reason than it's a huge talking point, just as it is now, and it will grow as we get closer to the tournament. I believe Gonzaga is a very good team, and as good as most of the teams rated from 15-25. I believe two things are important. 1. We play tough teams in our out of conference schedule every year. 2. We have no BAD losses. Sorry if you don't think that's important. However, my hope remains with the hope that we win the WCC Tournament.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
02-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Call me any name you like. I happen to agree with Lunardi, and he has us in. Oh, and by the way he has almost 100% success rate in his picks. I have always agreed with Joe. I believe there are so many people who would love Gonzaga to NOT make it to the NCAA's for no other reason than it's a huge talking point, just as it is now, and it will grow as we get closer to the tournament. I believe Gonzaga is a very good team, and as good as most of the teams rated from 15-25. I believe two things are important. 1. We play tough teams in our out of conference schedule every year. 2. We have no BAD losses. Sorry if you don't think that's important. However, my hope remains with the hope that we win the WCC Tournament.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Go Zags!!!

Does he have us in as winner of the WCC or does he have us in no matter what?

zagfan1
02-17-2016, 05:47 PM
We didn't have any bad losses. We didn't have any good wins. We had our opportunities at home with UCLA and Arizona and needed to win one of those games. We did not. We could have erased all of this by beating SMU. That didn't happen. This is the first time in a while where I feel like the Zags cannot beat any team it faces. St. Marys is the only team left where we will get some sort of credit from the basketball masses if we beat them at home. We just didn't get the job done in the end. Now on to winning the tournament to ensure ourselves another NCAA invite.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, I enjoy your posts and passion for Zags. I did not call you any name so not sure what you are saying. I share your hope that Zags get into tourney by winning WCC tournament. I do not believe they are likely to get an at-large bid unless they go undefeated from now to WCC tourney championship game.