PDA

View Full Version : New Brackets are out on 2/15/16

Reborn
02-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Lunardi has Gonzaga at a 9 seed now vs California. I'm glad there are four more weeks of bracketology. Gonzaga should be ranked higher than nine and I believe they will be in the end. The loss Saturday hurt us some. But it's not the end of the season yet. There is time to rise up. I think our possibility for a five seed now is going to be hard. But still a long shot if the Zags win out now. I wouldn't mind a 6 seed. We could end up laying a 3 seed in second round and a two seed in first round of the Sweet 16. Saint Mary's is just hanging on. A loss to Gonzaga might knock them out. The GU vs St Mary's game is going to be great because both teams are fighting for their POST SEASON lives.

bartruff1
02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
I would take a nine seed in a New York Minute..

gonzagafan62
02-15-2016, 08:55 AM
I'll take any seed as long as we are in.
I'm with Bart. I'll take the 9 and run with it

Outraged
02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
11 12 and 13 are the sweert spot great second round opportunity. And we get to wear the dark uniforms. The crowd goes for the underdog. I pity the team that gets seeded against us. They will bad mouth is until they get seeded against us. Then they will complain that we should have been seeded higher.

ZagDebate
02-15-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm with fan62 - take any seed we can get at this point.

Don't agree? Click on the 10 seeds in Lunardi's projection. They all have better wins - 4 or 5 at least in the RPI top 100. We have two. And those two wins (UConn and UW(!)) might be discounted a bit because they came with Karnowski in the lineup. He obviously is not coming back this year.

I guess the lack of any "bad losses" must help Joe put us in 8/9 game. But frankly the more comparable profiles to ours are in Dayton right now. Right on the edge.

Sweep the last four to net two more top 100 wins including one on the road, and maybe we can afford to lose in the WCC final. Maybe.

I do think this team right now is better than their likely seed. GU has finally evolved into the best team in the WCC with recent uptick in play from Perkins, Dranginis, Melson.

Just get in and then see what happens. KW going nuts alone could beat just about any team ranked about 6 through 30.

gonzagafan62
02-15-2016, 06:16 PM
11 12 and 13 are the sweert spot great second round opportunity. And we get to wear the dark uniforms. The crowd goes for the underdog. I pity the team that gets seeded against us. They will bad mouth is until they get seeded against us. Then they will complain that we should have been seeded higher.

Gotta get in first though

B Wayne
02-15-2016, 06:27 PM
In December I posted that a top national college basketball analyst told me that the Zags were a top 20 team with Karno, top 40 without him. Sounded right to me, but responses on this board included one post that disagreed and said we are a top 15 with Karno and top 25 without lol.

Top 40 roughly translates to a 8-10 seed. Turns out the analyst nailed it. I think we are all over complicating things. BTW, this analyst knows the Zags quite well, better than most of us.

gonzagafan62
02-15-2016, 06:56 PM
In December I posted that a top national college basketball analyst told me that the Zags were a top 20 team with Karno, top 40 without him. Sounded right to me, but responses on this board included one post that disagreed and said we are a top 15 with Karno and top 25 without lol.

Top 40 roughly translates to a 8-10 seed. Turns out the analyst nailed it. I think we are all over complicating things. BTW, this analyst knows the Zags quite well, better than most of us.

That seems pretty fair

WallaWallaZag
02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Lunardi has Gonzaga at a 9 seed now vs California. I'm glad there are four more weeks of bracketology. Gonzaga should be ranked higher than nine and I believe they will be in the end. The loss Saturday hurt us some. But it's not the end of the season yet. There is time to rise up. I think our possibility for a five seed now is going to be hard. But still a long shot if the Zags win out now. I wouldn't mind a 6 seed. We could end up laying a 3 seed in second round and a two seed in first round of the Sweet 16. Saint Mary's is just hanging on. A loss to Gonzaga might knock them out. The GU vs St Mary's game is going to be great because both teams are fighting for their POST SEASON lives.

the losses to pepp and smu have imo basically made the wcc a one bid league unless zags run the table until the wcc champ game...even in that situation zag fans shouldn't feel completely secure about a bid...can't believe lunardi still has the gaels in after the home loss to pepp.

SoonerZag
02-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Looks like they have them against Cal in OKC and possibly a 2nd round matchup against OU or the Griz. Would be awesome to get to watch in OKC at the Peak. I think the Zags can run with OU if the guards can get hot and Wiltjer stay hot. Sabonis would have a good game as well

Mr Vulture
02-15-2016, 08:03 PM
In the tourney and I'm happy...

gonzagafan62
02-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Looks like they have them against Cal in OKC and possibly a 2nd round matchup against OU or the Griz. Would be awesome to get to watch in OKC at the Peak. I think the Zags can run with OU if the guards can get hot and Wiltjer stay hot. Sabonis would have a good game as well

OH absolutely think so too. I want a first round game vs Pitt though. I wanna know who the better team actually is. Freakin bring it

CdAZagFan
02-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Just getting in will be a treat this year (and any win thereafter a bonus). I like our chances to get a win or two if we are seeded in the 10-12 range - seems to be our Cinderella sweet spot.

DixieZag
02-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Yeah. I would have to go all the way back to the "Pendo takes over team after Heytvelt suspension" to remember a team I worried about this much getting into the tournament. After losing Karno - 1/3 of the veteran All-American worthy class up front, we play shorthanded with very inexperienced guards, and go 8 deep - max, and all too often it seems like 6 deep.

Just getting to the tournament would be great. Once we're there, there's some law of physics which propels us to first game wins, and then after that? Gravy, but also this would be the year that a team could jump up and bite a very high seed.

Keep winning, run off 5 in a row. If we can beat BYU at BYU, that's a turning point confidence-wise, vanquishing some ghosts, we likely win the WCC tourney, too.

jim77
02-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm with fan62 - take any seed we can get at this point.

Don't agree? Click on the 10 seeds in Lunardi's projection. They all have better wins - 4 or 5 at least in the RPI top 100. We have two. And those two wins (UConn and UW(!)) might be discounted a bit because they came with Karnowski in the lineup. He obviously is not coming back this year.

I guess the lack of any "bad losses" must help Joe put us in 8/9 game. But frankly the more comparable profiles to ours are in Dayton right now. Right on the edge.

Sweep the last four to net two more top 100 wins including one on the road, and maybe we can afford to lose in the WCC final. Maybe.

I do think this team right now is better than their likely seed. GU has finally evolved into the best team in the WCC with recent uptick in play from Perkins, Dranginis, Melson.

Just get in and then see what happens. KW going nuts alone could beat just about any team ranked about 6 through 30.

Agreed ...nice analysis.

ZagaZags
02-15-2016, 11:36 PM
#1 Oklahoma (Spangler) vs #9 Gonzaga (Sabonis) Would be must see TV.

Zags11
02-16-2016, 02:23 AM

Top 8 team with karno.

Coach Crazy
02-16-2016, 12:16 PM

BPI, KenPom, and Sagarin have them as a Top 30. Am I accurate in assuming that you believe Karno only improves us 10 spots in the sporadic CBB atmosphere we have this year? Or is there a more specific range within that Top 20?

SoonerZag
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM

Would be rough for me but would enjoy getting to see them play each other.

sittingon50
02-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Who guards Buddy?!?

:eek:

HenneZag
02-16-2016, 12:52 PM
All I want is a tournament berth without having to play in the play in game.

Go in as the underdog with no pressure and just play. We no know we can compete with a top 10 team. Anything can happen this year. Just make the tournament.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Who guards Buddy?!?

Nobody lol. I sure wouldn't wanna see that. I still want iowa. Oklahoma would go off on us, and I don't want any OU bragging rights on us

ZagaZags
02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Who guards Buddy?!?

I hope that's a rhetorical question, because I have no idea.

kitzbuel
02-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Who guards Buddy?!?

Jesus.

HenneZag
02-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Spangler vs Sabonis...yes please.

ZagaZags
02-17-2016, 07:51 PM
The 2016 Bracket Matrix has GU as a #12 seed, playing #5 seed Arizona, Notre Dame, Utah or Purdue.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

seacatfan
02-17-2016, 08:01 PM
The 2016 Bracket Matrix has GU as a #12 seed, playing #5 seed Arizona, Notre Dame, Utah or Purdue.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Any of those would be good opponents. Utah (Poeltl) and Purdue (Hammons & friends) have stud 7 footers.