PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Blues

MontanaCoyote
02-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Assuming there's no bad mechanics at fault, what is it that "causes" a good, even excellent shooter to have a bad night or a series of bad shooting nights, especially if defensive pressure isn't much of a factor? KW was open at times.

I remember when Jerry West went into an extended shooting funk with the Lakers. Just "couldn't buy one" for weeks. Made big time press coverage at the time.

Must be mental?

Zags11
02-14-2016, 04:38 PM
It happens to everyone. Some days you feel it and some days you don't. You might be a little more tired, a little less focused. Some days you don't get the roll or bounce. I don't believe it's mental for the majority of the time. That really depends on the player.

amaronizag
02-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Everyone who plays golf (or any other sport) is familiar with this scenario. You may be sick, tired, and totally under the weather and have a career night. OR, you may feel great and not be able to drive, chip, putt, or come close to competing at whatever sport on a given day. It's the sun, moon, circadian cycles, biorhythms out of sync........who knows. It just happens to every competitor at every level. It just happens less often, and usually a less extreme degree, to the best of the best. I love Kyle, he had an off night, he will shrug it off and kill it for the remainder of the season. No worries.

kitzbuel
02-14-2016, 08:48 PM
Everyone who plays golf (or any other sport) is familiar with this scenario. You may be sick, tired, and totally under the weather and have a career night. OR, you may feel great and not be able to drive, chip, putt, or come close to competing at whatever sport on a given day. It's the sun, moon, circadian cycles, biorhythms out of sync........who knows. It just happens to every competitor at every level. It just happens less often, and usually a less extreme degree, to the best of the best. I love Kyle, he had an off night, he will shrug it off and kill it for the remainder of the season. No worries.
The yips

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/47124896/the-yips-difficult-to-understand-difficult-to-cure

Alum08
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Law of averages.

Zags11
02-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Law of averages.

This as well.

MontanaCoyote
02-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Started this thread and I think we're getting some where. Maybe what happens is just the opposite of when an athlete
Gets in his/her "Zone." EVERYTHING goes in or works. Kind of like Moore the other night in the 2nd half. (Man, if he wasn't
in his zone, I sure like to watch him when he was!)

Maybe no answers either way, but some real interesting mind games being played and, of course, "It is what it is,"
whatever it is.

Thanks for playing,
MC

zagzilla
02-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Did anybody else hear the announcer's comment during the first half that Kyle was shooting badly during warmups? Said he was even late getting off the floor because he kept trying to make his last warm up shot but couldn't hit one. Sounded like he was off before the game even started and then it didn't get better.

One of those days. We'll never know if he was ill, jet lagged, nicked up, disrupted by the defenders or simply had, as Kitzubel said, "the yips". What we do know is that the rest of team played well enough for us to win that game if he had a merely poor shooting night instead of a horrendous one.

This is a GU team and not good enough to overcome a night like that from their leading scorer on the road vs a quality opponent.

ZZ

Zags11
02-15-2016, 12:30 PM
I know when I was playing, and I got hot it felt like I could shoot anything and it was $. Hook, jumpers, 3's,etc I felt like I was untouchable. But their was days I felt awesome and was bricking it as well.

Zags11
02-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Did anybody else hear the announcer's comment during the first half that Kyle was shooting badly during warmups? Said he was even late getting off the floor because he kept trying to make his last warm up shot but couldn't hit one. Sounded like he was off before the game even started and then it didn't get better.

One of those days. We'll never know if he was ill, jet lagged, nicked up, disrupted by the defenders or simply had, as Kitzubel said, "the yips". What we do know is that the rest of team played well enough for us to win that game if he had a merely poor shooting night instead of a horrendous one.

This is a GU team and not good enough to overcome a night like that from their leading scorer on the road vs a quality opponent.

ZZ

Idk if any zag team wins when your star shoots like that. Blake stepp shot horrible vs Nevada and we lost. I'm talking vs a solid team.

zagzilla
02-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Idk if any zag team wins when your star shoots like that. Blake stepp shot horrible vs Nevada and we lost. I'm talking vs a solid team.

Turaif's 4th foul 1 minute into the 2nd half combined with Nick Fazekis (sp?) erupting were what I remember about that game.

Dickau vs Wyoming comes to mind as an example of our top gunner getting the yips at the wrong time.

ZZ

ProVeeZag
02-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Turaif's 3rd foul 1 minute into the 2nd half combined with Nick Fazekis (sp?) erupting were what I remember about that game.

Dickau vs Wyoming comes to mind as an example of our top gunner getting the yips at the wrong time.

ZZ

Also known as the "nightmare in Laramie", thanks for the memories. Funny things can happen at 7,165 feet of elevation ... (for example, boiling point of water, blood oxygen levels, air resistance). You don't acclimate to that in a few hours.

Zags11
02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Also known as the "nightmare in Laramie", thanks for the memories. Funny things can happen at 7,165 feet of elevation ... (for example, boiling point of water, blood oxygen levels, air resistance). You don't acclimate to that in a few hours.

And Wyoming's practice court.

Birddog
02-15-2016, 03:01 PM

That game was in Albquerque, not Laramie. Dickau didn't have that bad a game, he just lost his legs at the end. I blame the coaches for not resting the players more at altitude. Albq is a mile high city, Laramie of course is higher yet so the Cowboys had no problemo.

Zags11
02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
That game was in Albquerque, not Laramie. Dickau didn't have that bad a game, he just lost his legs at the end. I blame the coaches for not resting the players more at altitude. Albq is a mile high city, Laramie of course is higher yet so the Cowboys had no problemo.

Dickau was 7-24. Not a good shooting game but did put in 26points.

Zag_Dad
02-15-2016, 03:20 PM

ZZ

My daughter and I flew down for the game and got there early enough to watch the warm ups. I didn't focus my attention on Wiltjer but my daughter apparently did. She mentioned to me that he was "off" and had missed most of his shots in warm ups. I didn't think much of it at the time and assured her that "he'll be fine."
I'm guessing he was just due for an off night. Too many minutes, short turn around, new gym... who knows. It happens.

DixieZag
02-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Millions of dollars in research and then sports psychology sessions have been spent trying to understand "the zone" and the presumption is there's an equal/opposite state.

One theory involves the mind's ability to slow down its perception of time - which it can do. We've all heard about people in battle or in a life-threatening situation say that "time stood still" or something to that effect. The mind has also done it as we grew and matured. As a kid the school year lasted forever, car trips never ended, and now time flies by. It's normal for a growning brain to perceive time more slowly as it learns, matures and adapts, gives it more ability to capture memories which are fundamental to all that growth.

I have not read that there's been all that much success helping someone "get into the zone" but there's been some success in getting out of "the yips" or cold streaks, and most of it involves slowing the pace down. Slowing down and "not thinking" allows basic muscle memory to overcome tiny adjustments in an effort to succeed.

Two cents. Take it for what it's worth.