PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Portland...post game thoughts

Reborn
02-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Gonzaga 92
Portland 66

Wiltjer leads the way with 21 points shooting 5-9 from behind the arc, followed by Sabonis with 17 and 11. Dranginis had a great game with 16 points and hit 3 threes. He also got 4 assists and no turnovers Melson with another real good game scoring 13 points with 4 assists and no turnovers. Zags had only 8 turnovers for the game. Zags had 19 assists and Perkins lead the way with 9.

That was Gonzaga basketball at it's best tonight. They really looked like Zags and played as a team. Great team ball, and great D.

Go Zags!!!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Great W, always tough to win on the road. Keep winning the games we're supposed to win and we'll be in good shape.

Still perplexed why Domas and Wiltjer were out there in the dying minutes, up 25, with another game in 45 hours. Can someone please ask him? Would love to hear the reason.

jpn17
02-11-2016, 09:21 PM
This is the type of basketball we were hoping to see Gonzaga play from the start of the year. It's taken them awhile to find their game, but now that they're hitting their stride they are really fun to watch and are going to be a tough team for anyone to beat. Really looking forward to the game against SMU and then hopefully a strong finish leading into the WCC tournament. Good times to be a GU fan!

amaronizag
02-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Wow!! Beyond expectations. Clicking on all cylinders. The defense was stellar. The offense was surgical (that ones for you Abe), masterful, patient, and the passing was as sharp as I've seen by any team in a while. Great job Josh--I see a lot of double/doubles in your future (points/assists). Silas got the fire going, Emac, Draino, Wiltj, Bonus and everyone else stoked it hard through the night. Hard to beat the GU shooting percentage tonight, we put a lot of shots in the air due to great ball movement. We would have beaten SMU tonight, and probably every team we lost to this year with that kind of effort. If we keep this up it will be a very exciting finish to the season.

Mantua
02-11-2016, 09:38 PM
McClellan and Melson did a great job defending a team that thrives on making three point shots. I'm afraid their contributions on defense get overlooked when there so much entertaining razzle-dazzle to notice.

RenoZag
02-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Alberts shooting slump is worrisome. He's in a rut similar to the one that bit Melson: 3-20 from the field in his last four games, 2-14 from three point range.

Hope he can shake it off as Silas did.

Impressed with the ball movement tonight.

Reborn
02-11-2016, 10:04 PM
I believe Melson has really found his role, and how he can score in this offense. He's become such a good attacker of the rim. His dunk tonight was almost unbelievable. A slam dunk with his elbows up to the rim from a standing position when he caught the ball. I know we are all so excited about him finally finding his confidence. And his attitude looks so good now, and he looks like he's finally having fun.....I'm just totally impressed.

And I feel the same about Dranginis. As he his finding his confidence on offense in a way I always felt he could. I know I have criticized him a lot including earlier this year. But I'm totally with his play right now.

And we saw how well Perkins can play the point when he plays how Few wants him too. I thought he played a perfect game tonight. 9 assists and 8 points.

Our guards are finally looking like Zag guards, and like was said, this is how we believed the Zags would look this year. Again as he said, it has just taken some time. Congrats to the coaching staff because this team is really coming around......because of great coaching IMO.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
02-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Spokane location. I've said this'd since early January. Carry on!

CdAZagFan
02-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Spokane location. I've said this'd since early January. Carry on!

I hope you're right... but I think the damage has already been done in that department. I agree with all the earlier posters saying this was finally the team we thought we'd be seeing earlier. What a beautiful offensive and defensive display. Playing inside out and having Emac, KD and now Melson finally rolling makes this team so much tougher. Melson is playing great - and it starts with his driving to the basket. His outside shooting seems to feed off his success on his drives. And finally nice to see him get a dunk. Just hope they can maintain this consistency through the WCC tourney and beyond.

One thing I forgot to add - the passing was incredible tonight. The ball was moving all over the court on offense. Tough to play good D when the ball is whipping around like that...

LouisianaZag
02-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Great W, always tough to win on the road. Keep winning the games we're supposed to win and we'll be in good shape.

Still perplexed why Domas and Wiltjer were out there in the dying minutes, up 25, with another game in 45 hours. Can someone please ask him? Would love to hear the reason.

I would like to hear the answer to that question also. The further the game progressed with no Edwards the more puzzling it became. Has he broken rules? Has he told Few he is tranfering? Look at Wiltjer, he looks exhausted. I just don't understand it.

WallaWallaZag
02-11-2016, 11:17 PM
I would like to hear the answer to that question also. The further the game progressed with no Edwards the more puzzling it became. Has he broken rules? Has he told Few he is tranfering? Look at Wiltjer, he looks exhausted. I just don't understand it.

yeah, but wiltjer always looks like he's exhausted... :roll:

MDABE80
02-11-2016, 11:48 PM
I think it's a good question. Up by 20 pts and the guy who really needs deveopment sits. The guys who need rest put in overtime facing a very very difficult game.. There MUST be something wrong.

ZagaZags
02-11-2016, 11:53 PM
With Josh Perkins getting 32 minutes tonight. I might win my bet with Zag67. If Josh can stay out of foul trouble, he will average 30.5+ on the season.

jpn17
02-12-2016, 01:14 AM
If Gonzaga wins out, and yes I know that's hardly a given as there's still a ton of tough games left, but if they win out you're looking at road wins over SMU and BYU, a home win over St. Mary's and almost assuredly another win over St. Mary's/BYU in the tournament. A finish like that could get this team placed in Spokane. I also hope we finally see it.

ZagaZags
02-12-2016, 01:35 AM
If Gonzaga wins out, and yes I know that's hardly a given as there's still a ton of tough games left, but if they win out you're looking at road wins over SMU and BYU, a home win over St. Mary's and almost assuredly another win over St. Mary's/BYU in the tournament. A finish like that could get this team placed in Spokane. I also hope we finally see it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Pokemongirl99/Pinocchio/Jiminy%20Cricket/Pinocchio_267.gif

DixieZag
02-12-2016, 03:08 AM

Well, we better win out because those wins over BYU/SMC are starting to lose any muster power they might have had, SMC losing to Pepp last night pretty well puts them to bed in terms of the regular season championship.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Well, we better win out because those wins over BYU/SMC are starting to lose any muster power they might have had, SMC losing to Pepp last night pretty well puts them to bed in terms of the regular season championship.

Watched the game early this morning via watchESPN online. NICE! Best game of the year. Really happy to see Dranginis asserting himself offensively...9 shots, 4-5 from 3 and his usual all-around great D, rebounding and assists. Is the high scoring shooter from Nampa, ID showing up or what?!!

My guess as to why so Few minutes for Edwards and Alberts even in a blowout: Coach Few is in postseason mode...the rotation is shortened to six players and I trust he knows what this team needs to stay focused and get playing razor sharp for tourney season. Looks like the coaches are using all the game time they can for practice reps and to fine-tune this team for postseason. In Few We Trust

p.s. Just a NASTY dunk by Melson. This whole team seems to be playing with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Love it!

Zagger
02-12-2016, 03:50 AM
Alberts shooting slump is worrisome. He's in a rut similar to the one that bit Melson: 3-20 from the field in his last four games, 2-14 from three point range.

Hope he can shake it off as Silas did.

Impressed with the ball movement tonight.

DITTO

TexasZagFan
02-12-2016, 04:49 AM
I think it's a good question. Up by 20 pts and the guy who really needs deveopment sits. The guys who need rest put in overtime facing a very very difficult game.. There MUST be something wrong.

I think it's more of a case of Few tightening up the rotation. Besides, it was their first game in five days, Reveno was burning his time outs in the last ten minutes, and it took the refs five minutes to decide if Portland had a two or a three.

IMO, this is the cold, steely, assassin Mark Few we've been longing for all these years. How many times have we frittered away huge leads?

It helps that Silas and KD have upped their games, and Josh isn't looking like a freshman anymore.

TexasZagFan
02-12-2016, 04:51 AM
DITTO

More dittoes...ball movement was superb. Looks like the players have finally bought in, staying away from individual moves, and looking to get the ball to KW for the three. What's not to like about this team.

Bogozags
02-12-2016, 05:05 AM
Gonzaga 92
Portland 66

Wiltjer leads the way with 21 points shooting 5-9 from behind the arc, followed by Sabonis with 17 and 11. Dranginis had a great game with 16 points and hit 3 threes. He also got 4 assists and no turnovers Melson with another real good game scoring 13 points with 4 assists and no turnovers. Zags had only 8 turnovers for the game. Zags had 19 assists and Perkins lead the way with 9.

That was Gonzaga basketball at it's best tonight. They really looked like Zags and played as a team. Great team ball, and great D.

Go Zags!!!

WOW! The Zags played and executed the game plan to perfection and they built a lead and then extended it in the second half ON THE ROAD!

Silas, KD and Mac played outstanding defence on Wintering forcing him into five turnovers with two assists and also 5-12 shooting. I believe shutting him down was the key to our success. On the opening possession, he was whistled for a foul, which set the tone for the game.

Our back court and reserves scored over 30+ points as I had hoped and our perimeter defence shut a very good 3-pt shooting team allowing less than 14% behind the arc.

Marshall did score 25 on us but it took almost 1/3 of Portland's attempts to do it, so his points really didn't matter.

DS did have four fouls and only one inside. The other three came on two fakes where he got off his feet and Marshall took advantage and trying to guard Wintering out front.

IMO this was the best game we have played this season.

If we can defend like this in Dallas on Saturday, then we have a really good chance of winning that game.

bartruff1
02-12-2016, 05:07 AM

I have no idea, but I really really like the four guard offense...

they all have size and can switch on the screens...can all pass and shoot and drive...

the ball moves much quicker when they are not trying to force it inside and stand around watching the bigs...

and a quick moving ball leads to instinctive shooting...I think it is his "bigs in foul trouble or tired" offense.

Not that it matters , but Few might win another WCC Coach of the Year Award.. unless they are tired of giving it to him.

Birddog
02-12-2016, 06:54 AM
As many others have stated, I thought it was the Zags most complete game of the season. I don't know if it was the level of the competition or the stellar execution, but it was wonderful to watch. I only had 4 "WTF was that" outbursts during last nights contest, I'm sure that's a season low.
Beat the Ponies! or is it Ponys?

rennis
02-12-2016, 07:10 AM
I love the way the team plays when Josh is simply focused on facilitating. When he plays smart basketball, the team is significantly better in every way.

edit: I don't know what is up with Alberts but his funk is a bummer. His skill is shooting but when it's not falling he's not helping the team out at all. Defense and ball handling are not strengths for him yet. He won't be seeing much playing time the rest of the year, IMO.

Birddog
02-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Check out the Box Score, it's a thing of beauty. I don't recall seeing this kind of balance in a loooong time. Even Corey Williams stopped talking about Arizona to make favorable comments.
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/gonmbb26.html

john montana
02-12-2016, 07:41 AM
We basically saw what we've been begging for all year...offensive production from the 2/3 spot. Melson and KD were the difference in the game. When those two score we go up double digits...when they don't games are tight.

CdAZagFan
02-12-2016, 08:20 AM
It was amazing to watch how GU pushed it from a 7-point lead to a 20-point lead in a very short time span (and then never let it slip). That was the kind of run that last year's team was very good at.

vandalzag
02-12-2016, 08:24 AM
I love the way the team plays when Josh is simply focused on facilitating. When he plays smart basketball, the team is significantly better in every way.

edit: I don't know what is up with Alberts but his funk is a bummer. His skill is shooting but when it's not falling he's not helping the team out at all. Defense and ball handling are not strengths for him yet. He won't be seeing much playing time the rest of the year, IMO.

Alberts is a project. Has been one since day one. He will have his moments, but right now they are really only at home. It is a tough role to play designated shooter off the bench and only being given 1-2 looks to see if you are hitting your shots. He will be OK but right now his roll is limited. He shows flashes but is not ready for steady production. But it will come. His shot is too good. He is still only a RS Freshman. Lots of time to grow.

Marcus
02-12-2016, 08:26 AM
A great performance all around. They were seemingly sending everyone at Domas and the team really made them pay for that at the 3pt line. Wilt and KD were lights out and the ball movement to swing the ball to the open shooters was a thing of beauty. Once they shifted D to protect the 3, Domas went to work racking up the fouls for the Pilots.

A side note, I can't believe how much abuse Domas takes from other teams. He his held, shoved, hacked on every play, and that's before he even gets the ball most of the time. I'm surprised he doesn't lose his cool more often, that would drive me bonkers.

Reborn
02-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Alberts is a project. Has been one since day one. He will have his moments, but right now they are really only at home. It is a tough role to play designated shooter off the bench and only being given 1-2 looks to see if you are hitting your shots. He will be OK but right now his roll is limited. He shows flashes but is not ready for steady production. But it will come. His shot is too good. He is still only a RS Freshman. Lots of time to grow.

He had a lot more than one or two looks last night.....talk about a brick layer....I'd rather see Edwards...

Reborn
02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Let's not forget to include two wins over Pepperdine, and one of them in their arena.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
If I was Alberts I would play defense like my scholarship depended on it...

rennis
02-12-2016, 09:27 AM
If I was Alberts I would play defense like my scholarship depended on it...

This. His skill set is screaming "transfer" to me. Not to be down on the kid, not trying to pick at him. Just watching him play last night I had that thought more than once.

seacatfan
02-12-2016, 09:50 AM
If Melson can keep playing the way he has recently, I don't think Alberts' shooting slump really matters. Melson brings a lot more to the table and if he's also providing some offense then Alberts is only going to play spot minutes. Also helps that Dranginis and McClellan have been consistently bringing some scoring punch lately as well.

jim77
02-12-2016, 09:50 AM
As many others have stated, I thought it was the Zags most complete game of the season. I don't know if it was the level of the competition or the stellar execution, but it was wonderful to watch. I only had 4 "WTF was that" outbursts during last nights contest, I'm sure that's a season low.
Beat the Ponies! or is it Ponys?

LOL

Good to see the team execute like that....Perks racked up 9 assists...that what I'm talking about:) On to Texas...

seacatfan
02-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I only had 4 "WTF was that" outbursts during last nights contest

I'm guessing 2 of those were when Sabonis got stuck in the corner with a double team and threw a pass to absolutely nobody, one of which sailed across the half court line.

vandalzag
02-12-2016, 09:54 AM
He had a lot more than one or two looks last night.....talk about a brick layer....I'd rather see Edwards...

You would rather see Edwards playing on the perimeter? Does not sound like a recipe for success.

seacatfan
02-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Marshall did score 25 on us but it took almost 1/3 of Portland's attempts to do it, so his points really didn't matter.

I was extremely impressed with Marshall last night. I wouldn't say his points didn't matter, it's just that nobody else from UP did much of anything last night. If Wintering or Pressley had better games, or anyone else stepped up, Marshall's 25 definitely would've mattered. He was 11-18 from the field, it's not like he was at all inefficient.

Zagceo
02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm guessing 2 of those were when Sabonis got stuck in the corner with a double team and threw a pass to absolutely nobody, one of which sailed across the half court line.

Starting to lean toward tilt with your criticisms of Domas. Yes he makes mistakes and no problem talking about them but don't forget Domas had his 15th double double of the season. Balance is good.;-]

seacatfan
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Starting to lean toward tilt with your criticisms of Domas. Yes he makes mistakes and no problem talking about them but don't forget Domas had his 15th double double of the season. Balance is good.;-]

You caught me. I'm just trying to balance out so many on this board that go a bit overboard on their praise of Domas while nit picking everybody else on the team.

Birddog
02-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Bingo, but at least he got the ball out of there without a tie up. At least one of those was a triple team i do believe.

Zagceo
02-12-2016, 10:14 AM
My fav part of last night was the quick passing and quick decisions to attack the rim.

When Teams move the ball from side to side quickly it puts so much pressure on defenses.

Silas is starting to feel the game instead of thinking about it. So explosive and real joy to watch his growth.

coolhandzag
02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
It's coming around a little. The next handful of games will tell a lot.

Rebound, Defend, Execute.

Continue to Grow. learn and improve. Zags may shock some people this weekend.