Why not at Portland tonight? (Wednesday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Why not at Portland tonight? (Wednesday)

With SMU playing at home tonight, I wonder if Gonzaga tried to get the game vs Portland played tonight also. It seems to make sense. Playing the game one day earlier wouldn't give either team an advantage and would allow Gonzaga a more reasonable trip to Dallas. Did. Gonzaga ask the WCC? Portland?

Anybody in the know, know?
    Birds aren’t real.
  • MTZag03
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2012

I'm the opposite of in the know, but we have pretty much always done Thursday Saturday during league play. That's probably why. Plus the whole student athlete thing. I'm assuming most of these guys have heavy Monday to Wednesday classes and little afterwards.

Comment

• Zagsker
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

I was wondering the samething...makes complete sense to play the game tonight
      I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2011

Yeah it's especially rough with the late tip-off @ Portland.

In Central Time, Zags begin Portland game at 10PM, leave Portland around 1:30 AM, arrive in Dallas 5:30 AM (at the earliest?) on Friday with a game 40 hours later. That's got to be tough when it comes to working in sleep time.

Our staff and more experienced players have plenty of experience with this so it shouldn't be a problem, but yes, it would've been more convenient for the UP game to have taken place Wednesday night. Same with the years we've traveled to Memphis after playing Portland. WCC must enjoy having zero OOC profile year after year after year...
        "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• hushpuppy
          Bulldog Fan
          • Nov 2014

All true from a basketball-playing standpoint. As MTZag points out, it would mean another day off from classes, which could be rough. Also, since the Portland game is on the ESPN family, they probably like it in their predictable WCC niche.

Comment

• Zagsker
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hushpuppy View Post
            All true from a basketball-playing standpoint. As MTZag points out, it would mean another day off from classes, which could be rough. Also, since the Portland game is on the ESPN family, they probably like it in their predictable WCC niche.

I just don't see it being a big thing missing a day of class...I played college ball and their was zero issue missing class when it came to players conducting University business. Resources are put in place to help with this

The ESPN angle is more likely the culprit in this
            I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

The 7PM start on Saturday is favorable to the zags...9PM for SMU.

Hasn't it been determined, by the Mariners if no one else, that sleep patterns are disrupted more by leaving after the game, flying throgh the night and getting there at 5AM? The prudent path, in my opinion, would be to sleep in Portland tonight, get up and travel Friday and sleep there Friday night. It would be better for sleep to stay after the game too, but not as critical, the team will have 4 days to readjust before the next weekends games.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Is this trip that much more difficult than the BYU/USD leg? The flight might be a little longer, but the routine has to be similar.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
                  Yeah it's especially rough with the late tip-off @ Portland.

In Central Time, Zags begin Portland game at 10PM, leave Portland around 1:30 AM, arrive in Dallas 5:30 AM (at the earliest?) on Friday with a game 40 hours later. That's got to be tough when it comes to working in sleep time.

Our staff and more experienced players have plenty of experience with this so it shouldn't be a problem, but yes, it would've been more convenient for the UP game to have taken place Wednesday night. Same with the years we've traveled to Memphis after playing Portland. WCC must enjoy having zero OOC profile year after year after year...
                  I know that all sports teams do it, leave right after a game and get "2 nights" (sort of) at their ultimate destination and I know that they have this stuff down to a science, whereas I don't, BUT; My inclination would be that they'd be better served by going back to the hotel in Portland, sleeping in, late breakfast, then on to the airport for 3 hour flight to Dallas, get in right around dinner, maybe an early evening shoot-around.

Just "seems" better to me.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bowser
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

That "Why not tonight?" line has never worked for me. Oh, you guys were talking basketball. My mistake. Nevermind. But really, it never worked. Even on Valentine's Day.

Your Pal,

Bowser

In addition to the thread title, the following language in the preceding post contributed to my confusion. Sorry.

My inclination would be that they'd be better served by going back to the hotel in Portland, sleeping in, late breakfast, then on to the airport for 3 hour flight to Dallas, get in right around dinner, maybe an early evening shoot-around.

Last edited by Bowser; 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM. Reason: Some things need explaining.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Bowser View Post
                      That "Why not tonight?" line has never worked for me. Oh, you guys were talking basketball. My mistake. Nevermind. But really, it never worked. Even on Valentine's Day.

Your Pal,

Bowser

In addition to the thread title, the following language in the preceding post contributed to my confusion. Sorry.

My inclination would be that they'd be better served by going back to the hotel in Portland, sleeping in, late breakfast, then on to the airport for 3 hour flight to Dallas, get in right around dinner, maybe an early evening shoot-around.

Fair enough.

1) Spending night in Portland after the game, fly Friday 10:00 a.m = more sleep, more normal,

versus

2) 8:00 pm game . 11:00 PM flight. 05:30 landing, 06:30 a.m. arrival = more tired, weird.

But, every team does it No.2 way. So, I'm missing something.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bowser
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Yes

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                          Fair enough.

1) Spending night in Portland after the game, fly Friday 10:00 a.m = more sleep, more normal,

versus

2) 8:00 pm game . 11:00 PM flight. 05:30 landing, 06:30 a.m. arrival = more tired, weird.

But, every team does it No.2 way. So, I'm missing something.
                          I'm missing it too, makes way more sense to sleep in Portland tonight, then fly to Big D during Friday daytime hours. How do you sleep well on a plane if you're 6'9 or above? I'm 5'11" so I have no clue!
                          "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                          —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                          X