• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

The All-Transfer Team

Gonzaga is developing a reputation for unsatisfied players to transfer to a strong program and have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament. What about those who've transferred out? We'll look at...
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!
  • ProVeeZag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2011

Enjoyed this article alot, how soon we forget some of these guys after they transfer. Bol Kong had some good moments for the Zags. I've said it before on these boards that the transfer of Ryan Spangler was probably our most significant loss. Meech Goodson's coast-to-coast bucket in NCAA's was an electric play!!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• cggonzaga
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

And I've said it before about Spangler as well. We probably don't end up with one of the 3 of Karno, Sabonis or Wiltjer. Spangler is a fine player but I'd rather have had the 3 we ended up with.

Comment

• OZZY
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2009

PMAC was the first reason why I started following GU ball (that and Rob Sacre committing).

He was the top player in Canada the year before and had an epic dunk off against X-EWU player Henry Bekkering (that guy could jump!) at the All Canadian game.

Found it!

I was so disappointed when PMAC transferred...

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Biggest loss: Spangler. He developed nicely at OK.I honestly believe he'd be getting lots of minutes if he had stuck it out.
          Last edited by MDABE80; 02-09-2016, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
            Biggest loss: SPangler. He developed nicely at OK.I honestly believe he'd be getting lots of minutes if he had stuck it out.
            I think it would have played our nicely either way for us, but him leaving opened the door for Sabonis and Karnowski. Losing Spangler hurt that '13 team thiugh. Real bad.
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              Biggest loss: SPangler. He developed nicely at OK.I honestly believe he'd be getting lots of minutes if he had stuck it out.
              Spangler would've graduated last year had he stayed at GU. With Karno out for season we'd have only had 1 of Wiltjer or Sabonis. Again, everything worked out for everybody.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                • Apr 2011

I wouldn't take Spangler over Wiltjer, Sabonis, or Karnowski. He made the right move by transferring, and we benefited from it.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
                  I wouldn't take Spangler over Wiltjer, Sabonis, or Karnowski. He made the right move by transferring, and we benefited from it.
                  After reading all these posts about Spangler, I've come to this conclusion: Spangler made the right move by transferring and he benefited the most. His team will likely be no worse than a 2 seed in the Big Dance. I'll be pulling for the Sooners all the way, unless they happen to match up against GU at some point.
                  "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                  —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• cggonzaga
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Not sure how he benefited the most. He would've been on a GU team last year that was a 2 seed. Maybe if he makes the final four this year? Like I said, it's worked out great for everybody involved.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

I agree coach. He's a solid player but I'd take every one of our guys over him. Spangler has always kind of been a mythical character around these parts.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                        Banned
                        • May 2010

Simple solution for GU and Spangler, play Ryan Spangler at the 3....................

Comment

• demian
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2007

a guy I liked who transferred out after I think his frosh season was Josh Reisman, he isn't on this list but I thought reisman was a good player, VERY VERY ATHLETIC guard. Such a short leash on that guy. I liked him though and I think he ended up playing at BYU and I don't know how he did there. But he was the one transfer I liked the most when he was a frosh and would have loved to see him develop as a ZAG after 4 - 5 years

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Talent wise Josh was great. I'll never understood why didn't seem to fit in. Of course the competition at guard position was severe. Still, you wonder.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Not the point. Spangler's our biggest loss. Those guys came in. Spangler transferred out Truth be known though, our best incoming transfer was probably Dan Dickau.........

Comment

Working...
                              X