PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga's lack of defensive intensity

Unbiased
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I just finished watching Gonzaga's last game with Santa Clara for the fourth time. Gonzaga fell behind 13 to 0. They started the game in a man to man defense. There was absolutely no defensive intensity at all - zero - zip. Gonzaga defenders made only half hearted attempt to slide through picks. If they put out the same amount of defensive effort as Santa Clara did - Gonzaga would have won easily won by 15 points. Where is the commitment to defense? This team has quite a bit of even depth - pull the kids out each and every time they get lazy. It won't take long for them to get the message. Offensively they are talented enough to match up with most teams in the country - well at least they did before last week. If they get some defensive tenacity for the full 40 minutes of each game, especially on the perimeter, they could cruise through the rest of the conference schedule and the WCC tournament.

kylasdad
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I agree. If they played for 30 minutes like they did for the last 10-12 minutes, I think it would have been a different game as well.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
"40 minutes of hell" philosophy - we love guards use them both ways and use lots of them

against Memphis - PRESS PRESS PRESS till they can't breathe

bulldogshawn
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
You do realize that Memphis is one of the most athletic teams in the country, right? They go a lot deeper off the bench than we do, with much better players and athletes. Pressing them will NOT be good for us.

Starting lineup:
Jeremy Hunt 6'5
Chris Douglas Roberts 6'6
Robert Dozier 6'9
Joey Dorsey 6'9
Antonio Anderson 6'6

To contrast, we start 3 guys shorter than 6'5 (Pargo, Raivio, Bouldin). How do you see a press working? They're guards will be able to see over the top of any press we throw out them, unless Rav stands on somebody's shoulders.

Remember last year, we were successful when we forced them to shoot outside. In the 2nd half they turned it around and started going to the basket and into the paint and dominated us inside.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
by press i mean anything (yes Press Press Press) to get this team into a defensive mindset - Memphis is athletic - but I don't think they're necessarily quicker than we are tall is an advantage within 22 feet, not at the halfway point. Memphis also seems to me to be a streaky outside team, but if they're on, we're in big trouble. Plus, with the height disadvantage, do we want to let them set a half court and pound inside? I dunno we'll see

bulldogshawn
02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
When pressing, you try to block sight lines. Short players can't block the vision of tall players, hence the disadvantage...

This game is about forcing them to shoot outside, we have a CHANCE if we get them into that mode. If they start pounding inside, we can't compete.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
What do you suggest we do? go to a zone and collapse on them with shorter guys? go man to man where the height/athletic advantage becomes more pronounced? Just curious

Of course we could always foul the 3 point shots? (just kidding)

bulldogshawn
02-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Zone, collapse, double the post - then PROTECT AGAINST THE CUTTER. Anytime you get a post player, you're going to see a cutter down the middle. This is going to be a guard most times, and they're typically open for a lay in if you don't have proper defensive rotation. MUST play well against this. Once this is prevented, the next look from the big man is going to be a pass to the wing on the ball side, where you'll usually have someone s###ting up for a 3ball. This is the shot I want them shooting as much as possible. With good boxing out, we have a good chance at any rebound with so many players collapsing towards the basket.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Take it to the game and I'll give you a report card afterward - sounds like a fantasmo idea to me. Are you gonna be there?

PS, these guys are known for their press - what's gonna break that for us and result in points for the Zags - you know God's team!

bulldogshawn
02-16-2007, 11:38 PM
No report card necessary, you'll know if this worked out when we win. I'm not able to be at the game, visiting some friends in San Francisco this weekend and attending a couple of other WCC games.

Your next question was how will we break their press?
I think we can do fine as long as we stay out of the corners. Any trap is most successful when you get the ball stuck in a corner, as the sidelines then act at 2 more defenders. Pargo and Derek both do a good job when bringing the ball up of staying out of corners. When Micah is in he can also be used to help break, as he has enough height to see over the top and also the ball handling skills to help break it.

BobZag
02-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Defense? What's this word? Is it Latin or Greek? Commitment to defense? The Raiders have a commitment to excellence.

These concepts are alien to Gonzaga.

Memphis by 20.

bulldogshawn
02-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Good to have your doom and gloom back Bob!

BobZag
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Our Zags will be murdered on the perimeter by Memphis' guards. For years now, our defensive strategy has been to overly collapse and give up wide open treys. Hell, to illustrate how inept our defensive system is, little Joey Kaempf(sp?) of Santa Clara checked in and he had about shot 55 shots all season, about 52 of them being treys at a high percentage. What did our defense do? Leave wide, wide open treys for this kid for numerous swishes.

I'd much rather have Memphis' big men (Dorsey, Dozier) attempt 2-point shots and miss half of them than give up wide open barrages of 3-pointers...

But mark my words, just watch their sharpshooters shoot wide open treys today, mostly from the corners, with a Zag running in vain desperation to recover.

And this team now does not have enough offense to counter all the awful defensive strategies.

Year after year after year after year... It won't suddenly change because fans wish or hope it to.

That's why I predict an easy Memphis win.

Sarenyon
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
BobZag, please say it... we are doomed aren't we?

Whenever you would say these words, we would at least to well, and most of the time win. So BobZag... are we doomed?

I'm just hoping for a great game. I think we can hang and maybe squeek one out. Zags by 3, 87-84.

tobizag
02-17-2007, 10:53 AM
You make so much sense BZ, but I really, really, really hope that you are wrong today...:(

SunDevilGolfZag
02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Tough to all of a sudden flip the "on" switch for high pressure defense when it obviously hasn't been a priority all year

kitzbuel
02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I think Downs can be an x-factor here. He is quick enough to get out on perimeter shooters and, with his long arms, alter shots. Mallon is also capable of turning on defensively, witness his game against Indiana last year. If they focus on not breaking down and sticking with assignments, they can play defense.

TheZagPhish
02-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Tough to all of a sudden flip the "on" switch for high pressure defense

Unless they didn't see it because it was under Theo on the bench: "Ohhh, so that's where the defense switch was! Flip that thing on!"

Just a thought.