PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Men's POY

vandalzag
01-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Listening to Dickie V and Musburger ramble on during the OU LSU game yesterday about how POY is a 2 man race between Simmons and Hield. I get Hield he would be my vote but just do not see how a player with Simmons numbers is in the running. 19 and 12 a game are solid but not out of this world numbers. Sabonis is coming in at 17 and 12 (while sharing shots with KW who is scoring 22 a game) and he does not even get a mention. I get that Simmons is the best pro prospect but to be mentioned as POY on a team that will have to win the SEC to get into the tourney seems silly.

It was also fun to listen to Dickie V try to respond to Roy Williams green room rant after he had been pimping out Simmons as going to the NBA the whole game.

DixieZag
01-31-2016, 06:40 PM
I thought both Vitale and Musberger went as far as an announcing team can go in calling out a kid for not being engaged enough in the game, not fighting for the win. Simmons was 6 out of 7 I think from the field, and yet did nothing to "want the ball" in the last 4 minutes of a tied game, at home, with the No.1 team in the country.

I did think it was an absolute contrast, Hield working himself to shoe lace to bring his team back, hitting shots from all over and Simmons, playing kind of like it was a summer league game.

CdAZagFan
01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Personally think Simmons is one of the most over-hyped college players I have seen in quite awhile. Maybe he will flourish in the pros, but I've watched him multiple times this season and just don't think he lives up to the amount of hype he gets...

hooter73
01-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Poy should be what team would be very very different with them or to some such effect. Lsu would be nothing.

LouisianaZag
01-31-2016, 08:20 PM
I thought both Vitale and Musberger went as far as an announcing team can go in calling out a kid for not being engaged enough in the game, not fighting for the win. Simmons was 6 out of 7 I think from the field, and yet did nothing to "want the ball" in the last 4 minutes of a tied game, at home, with the No.1 team in the country.

I did think it was an absolute contrast, Hield working himself to shoe lace to bring his team back, hitting shots from all over and Simmons, playing kind of like it was a summer league game.Simmons makes so secret that he didn't want to play a year before turning pro. He doesn't seem to care if he does anything to help them win or not. Its oh hum, so we lost, one game closer to the pros

DixieZag
01-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Simmons makes so secret that he didn't want to play a year before turning pro. He doesn't seem to care if he does anything to help them win or not. Its oh hum, so we lost, one game closer to the pros

Thx for commenting.

That is what it sure looked like.

Even if a guy didn't care about the coach, school or program, you'd think you'd play hard for your friends, try to accomplish something.

But, I saw nothing to that end, and neither did Vitale or Musberger.

seacatfan
01-31-2016, 11:21 PM
I'd like to think it's not really literally down to only 2 players at this point. Some other worthy candidates out there. Valentine from Michigan St. had an incredible start to the season. He missed a few games and MSU stumbled a bit, but there's time for him to work back into the race I would think. Maybe Trimble from Maryland. Uthoff from Iowa has been having a great season. North Carolina's Brice Johnson has been impressive. I agree, unless Simmons is just head and shoulders above everybody else, the award should go to someone on a team that's actually been highly rated all year, keeps winning big games and looks to be in the National Championship picture.

ProVeeZag
01-31-2016, 11:57 PM
If the Sooners keep winning, Hield has the inside track for POY in my opinion. The Sooners seem to be televised nationally almost constantly, exposure helps as well.

seacatfan
02-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Dunn from Providence is another one that should still be in the conversation.

Agree with above though. If Hield and Oklahoma keep doing what they're doing, it's probably his to lose.

CDC84
02-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Dunn from Providence is another one that should still be in the conversation.

Dunn should get some consideration for how well his team has done this year. Most folks had Providence finishing between 5th and 7th in the Big East. They're in 3rd right now, just one game back of Xavier.

I agree that it is Hield's award to lose.

As I said at the beginning of the season....."Simmons is going to give LSU more attention than they really deserve as a team"

Zagger
02-01-2016, 04:05 PM
When do they pick anyway? There's a lot of the season left and much to happen between now and March .... or April.

zag67
02-01-2016, 04:27 PM
I also agree on Hield. I think that the way he is playing now could lead to the number one overall in the draft. Either Phily or LA lakers could use him.

Birddog
02-01-2016, 08:02 PM
I also agree on Hield. I think that the way he is playing now could lead to the number one overall in the draft. Either Phily or LA lakers could use him.

I doubt that happens, he's kinda short for a SG and doesn't really have the skills of a PG. I know, I know Steph Curry, but he's not.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Felder should at least be in the conversation, i.e. top 5. Accounts for about 45 points per game scoring and assists. Carries his team almost single handed v teams like UW and Michigan State. My personal favorite anyway.

WallaWallaZag
02-02-2016, 02:46 AM
Felder should at least be in the conversation, i.e. top 5. Accounts for about 45 points per game scoring and assists. Carries his team almost single handed v teams like UW and Michigan State. My personal favorite anyway.

his team isn't good enough...oakland has lost to some pretty mediocre teams. for a mid-major guy to get consideration his team needs to be in the top 25 picture.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-02-2016, 06:39 AM

I agree the POY is Hield's to lose at this point and judging from the incredibly clutch shooting he displays I don't see him letting go of it.

As for NBA draft, I'd pick Dunn over Hield.....he's like the next John Wall who can help your team in multiple ways (defensively, passing, scoring) whereas Hield is an elite shooter for sure but isn't going to wow you in any other facets of the game.

BULLDOG#1
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Was thinking.... If Sabonis stays and improves as much of this summer as he did last, he will be in the national POY discussion next year.

Birddog
02-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Was thinking.... If Sabonis stays and improves as much of this summer as he did last, he will be in the national POY discussion next year.

If it comes to pass, hopefully (the hype) starts mid season and not preseason.

Mr Vulture
02-02-2016, 09:37 AM
I would respectfully disagree on this. I have seen Simmons play three times in the past month and his demeanor reminds me of Klay Thompson. His play looks like he is uninterested but it's because he is so fluid on the court. The guy is averaging 19.5pts, 12.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists, and 1.8 steals per game. I would vote for Simmons over Sabonis for POY, nothing against Domas.

Personally think Simmons is one of the most over-hyped college players I have seen in quite awhile. Maybe he will flourish in the pros, but I've watched him multiple times this season and just don't think he lives up to the amount of hype he gets...