PDA

View Full Version : Few Fighter

DixieZag
01-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Coach was as hot as I've seen him in a long time. I was lucky enough to be at the game and a little low to the side to really see him get going. Nonetheless, he was clearly rather . . . beguiled? By the second foul call on Sabonis?

I love having a calm, cerebral coach. But, we've wanted this team to fight harder all year. I do not think it was a coincidence that we saw the four guards play their best game all year right after their coach started to show some bulldog.

ProVeeZag
01-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Coach was as hot as I've seen him in a long time. I was lucky enough to be at the game and a little low to the side to really see him get going. Nonetheless, he was clearly rather . . . beguiled? By the second foul call on Sabonis?

I love having a calm, cerebral coach. But, we've wanted this team to fight harder all year. I do not think it was a coincidence that we saw the four guards play their best game all year right after their coach started to show some bulldog.

Perhaps more "befuddled" than "beguiled"? That was a phantom foul as I saw it.

Zagceo
01-30-2016, 11:14 PM

I've been called out by some on the board over calls against Domas especially at home.

Guess Few feels more like me.

Refs are not consistant in the contact to and contact from Domas.

Thats why in some games Domas just avoids contact.

GrizZAG
01-31-2016, 07:01 AM
At the same time there were so many no-calls as Edwards was getting hammered many times. I was disappointed with Edwards lack of willingness to dive hard for that loose ball scrum. He just bent over, he didn't take the dive. He had a rough night. What is your spin on Edwards game last night? Again, he needs to become more aggressive in his play. I want him to anyway.

vandalzag
01-31-2016, 07:15 AM
That call on Sabonis was terrible, as have been the lack of calls on players trying to guard him. USF had nobody that could guard him, only way to he is limited is by the refs. Not a conspiracy but there seems to be a new definition of a foul every game. It is a shame since DS has stopped doing the dumb reach fouls and should be rewarded for adjusting and playing smarter.

Coach Crazy
01-31-2016, 07:34 AM
At the same time there were so many no-calls as Edwards was getting hammered many times. I was disappointed with Edwards lack of willingness to dive hard for that loose ball scrum. He just bent over, he didn't take the dive. He had a rough night. What is your spin on Edwards game last night? Again, he needs to become more aggressive in his play. I want him to anyway.

Ryan had a rough night, offensively. Nonetheless, his defense was where it needed to be. That is going to be his biggest contribution, at this point. If they are able to play the kind of post defense we have seen, it's going to make it hard for even a Top 50 RPI team that shoots the 3 well to be successful in that manner.

Coach Crazy
01-31-2016, 07:36 AM
That call on Sabonis was terrible, as have been the lack of calls on players trying to guard him. USF had nobody that could guard him, only way to he is limited is by the refs. Not a conspiracy but there seems to be a new definition of a foul every game. It is a shame since DS has stopped doing the dumb reach fouls and should be rewarded for adjusting and playing smarter.

I said something similar last night. He really has cutout most of the unnecessary effort that has led to dumb fouls. We just have to remember that we won't have to deal with these WCC refs in the Dance.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
I said something similar last night. He really has cutout most of the unnecessary effort that has led to dumb fouls. We just have to remember that we won't have to deal with these WCC refs in the Dance.

If we make the dance, that's true, but then you have to deal with the refs that don't call anything lol

DixieZag
01-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Well, I think that is part of my point, they have worked so hard with him on consistency and discipline, and then to see it get thrown away like cat littler, I think it is good to see Few get hot about it and to work the refs, let them know he's not going to take this lying down. Over the years, many here have felt Few should work the refs more.

And, my main point is, I think if Few wants this team to fight together with good chemistry, he is going to have to lead the way in many ways.

Hoopaholic
01-31-2016, 08:37 AM

I didn't think it was a rough night....he rebounded well, he defended well and he took shots that were within his skill set (some didn't drop and that happens in basketball) and he commanded position on offense making USF respect his posting ability that thus opened lanes and provided a cleaner offensive flow while he was out there.

as to not "diving hard"......remember he is 7'1 and almost 300 pounds far different than a 6-3 guard going for a scrum and I am sure that Karnowskis injury is in the back of his mind as well.

Zagger
01-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Sabonis was getting hammered and few if any fouls on USF for that. I still think Sabonis has some European BB habits that'll get calls here (pushing defenders in various ways) but fair is fair. When he's getting fouled I'd sure like to see the refs call it.

Birddog
01-31-2016, 09:28 AM
I didn't think it was a rough night....he rebounded well, he defended well and he took shots that were within his skill set (some didn't drop and that happens in basketball) and he commanded position on offense making USF respect his posting ability that thus opened lanes and provided a cleaner offensive flow while he was out there.

as to not "diving hard"......remember he is 7'1 and almost 300 pounds far different than a 6-3 guard going for a scrum and I am sure that Karnowskis injury is in the back of his mind as well.

Agree with the above and additionally, Ryan was on the floor in that last scrum that was near the end of the game. I for one was impressed. He also played good defense. He guarded the rim well and several times he cut off the angle of the Don's attempted dribble drive to the iron forcing a pass and a reset. He's staerting to understand the angles on defense.

DixieZag
01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Just to expand on what I said above re: if chemistry and fighting for victories is a problem, then Few et. al. might well have to lead them in fighting for themselves and coming together - that's why I put the coaches as my G-Unit. From what I heard from Michaelson after the game and what they've been emphasizing with the guards, and the fact that they go on a big run and win by the largest margin all year (close to it) with everyone scoring right after Few really gets into protecting his guys ...

I like it, and hats off to him.

JPtheBeasta
01-31-2016, 10:26 AM

The players on the ground already who were scrapping for the ball were probably glad he didn't :]

SteelZag
01-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Well, I think that is part of my point, they have worked so hard with him on consistency and discipline, and then to see it get thrown away like cat littler, I think it is good to see Few get hot about it and to work the refs, let them know he's not going to take this lying down. Over the years, many here have felt Few should work the refs more.

And, my main point is, I think if Few wants this team to fight together with good chemistry, he is going to have to lead the way in many ways.

Thanks Dixie. Change kitty litter today...check. Oh and nice post as always.

GrizZAG
01-31-2016, 11:01 AM

Yes but I have seen Karno lay out for a ball before. It seems guards blow by him for layups and there is little attempt to block them too often as well. Don't get me wrong, I want Ryan to be all he can be and I am a big fan. I just wish he was more assertive at times.

VaBeachZAG
01-31-2016, 02:22 PM
If we make the dance, that's true, but then you have to deal with the refs that don't call anything lol

Not always the case. In the OSU tournament game two years ago, the ref's whistle was blowing in almost every bloody play.

ZagNative
01-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Spokesman-Review's photo album of the game (http://www.spokesman.com/galleries/2016/jan/30/gonzaga-play-san-franciso/) captures Coach Few's reaction to a bad call:

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2016/01/30/SRX_GU_007_TT_t860.jpg?f9da3e5074926fc0d8e3dc2a8a8 ceaf0be0f19b5

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few reacts to a foul call as his team battles San Francisco during a college basketball game on Saturday,
Jan. 30, 2016, at McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane, Wash.

ProVeeZag
01-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Spokesman-Review's photo album of the game (http://www.spokesman.com/galleries/2016/jan/30/gonzaga-play-san-franciso/) captures Coach Few's reaction to a bad call:

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2016/01/30/SRX_GU_007_TT_t860.jpg?f9da3e5074926fc0d8e3dc2a8a8 ceaf0be0f19b5

Out of curiosity, does anyone recognize what the book with the Nike logo on it actually is (in the hand of whoever is behind Coach)?? Looks very dog-eared, much used...:confused:

kitzbuel
01-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Better than average chance we see some of these refs again in the tournament. Dick Cartmell, from last night's game, has reffed 24 NCAA tournaments.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Birddog
01-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone recognize what the book with the Nike logo on it actually is (in the hand of whoever is behind Coach)?? Looks very dog-eared, much used...:confused:

That's Asst. Coach Brian Michaelson with the notebook behind Few. If you watch a game he is always making notes in it.

ProVeeZag
01-31-2016, 10:53 PM
That's Asst. Coach Brian Michaelson with the notebook behind Few. If you watch a game he is always making notes in it.

Thanks ... I recognize Brian, (looked to me like the leaning person with the red jersey was holding the book). So one more way to get the "Swoosh" out there in front of the fans and the cameras. Nike doesn't miss a thing, do they?

Bogozags
02-01-2016, 03:30 AM

He did well to get on the floor...at 7ft and 300lbs it is so difficult to get down to the floor and also to get up from it...:)

jazzdelmar
02-01-2016, 04:32 AM

And drinking about 3 gallons of water....

23zagmd
02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
You are right...refereeing is not Consistent!!! it can't be! Every game is different, crews are different, leagues are different. YOU CAN NOT HAVE UNIFORMITY IN REFEREEING! Jesus People!

I've been called out by some on the board over calls against Domas especially at home.

Guess Few feels more like me.

Refs are not consistant in the contact to and contact from Domas.

Thats why in some games Domas just avoids contact.

Zagceo
02-01-2016, 02:59 PM
You are right...refereeing is not Consistent!!! it can't be! Every game is different, crews are different, leagues are different. YOU CAN NOT HAVE UNIFORMITY IN REFEREEING! Jesus People!

Thanks for the caps. You're really serious.

Who wants or needs consistency in a game.