PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology - 1/25/16

gonstu
01-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Interesting latest bracketology from joey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

willandi
01-25-2016, 08:47 AM
That would be cool! We get to play Utah and then Montana again...and possibly UW again as well!

gonstu
01-25-2016, 08:54 AM
That would be cool! We get to play Utah and then Montana again...and possibly UW again as well!

and SMC in the E8

Coach Crazy
01-25-2016, 09:04 AM
We'd be playing Montana if the NCAA Tourney scoring system was changed to that of golfing. Are those who are into what the pundits say more settled?

Reborn
01-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Lunardi has Gonzaga on the bubble. He also writes an article titled, "Is Gonzaga's NCAA Streak Over?" This seems to be a big topic on ESPN this year. I think it's cool because in the past few years the ESPN talk was always, Can this year be Gonzaga's year to make the Final 4? hahaha This year it's the opposite. Wouldn't it be crazy if this was the year Gonzaga does make the Final 4? There's nothing better than making ESPN analysts look stupid...lol

Coach Crazy
01-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Lunardi has Gonzaga on the bubble. He also writes an article titled, "Is Gonzaga's NCAA Streak Over?" This seems to be a big topic on ESPN this year. I think it's cool because in the past few years the ESPN talk was always, Can this year be Gonzaga's year to make the Final 4? hahaha This year it's the opposite. Wouldn't it be crazy if this was the year Gonzaga does make the Final 4? There's nothing better than making ESPN analysts look stupid...lol

Haven't we already done that by allowing them to speak?

Reborn
01-25-2016, 09:41 AM
hahahah hahahah good one Coach Crazy...hahaha

75Zag
01-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Arizona and Louisville both playing in Spokane would at least make it easier for me to dump my floor level tickets for the Spokane NCAA First Round.

Go Bulldogs!

Zags11
01-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Zags will make March and I will be happy at that.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Zags will make March and I will be happy at that.

If they make it somehow id also be happy with just that

Spike94
01-25-2016, 08:32 PM
I hope we make it as well. I am coming up from Cali for games no matter what, so it will be interesting to see who I will get to watch.

Zags11
01-25-2016, 09:02 PM
If they make it somehow id also be happy with just that

After karno went down that's all I would like.

gonzagafan62
01-26-2016, 10:09 AM
After karno went down that's all I would like.

I wouldn't be too mad at 32. Either :) my signature can't just die in the desert.

MDABE80
01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/25/new-bracketology-update-hawkeyes-surge-to-top-line/

NBC is better..kinda;)

gonstu
01-26-2016, 01:50 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/25/new-bracketology-update-hawkeyes-surge-to-top-line/

NBC is better..kinda;)

Last of the last 4 byes - yikes.

gonstu
01-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Don't know how good the sbnation one is, but here it is anyway. play-in game - double yikes.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/26/10829752/bracketology-ncaa-tournament-2016-duke-kansas-iowa-state

zags are definitely trending down. good thing we've got some resume builders coming up: SCU, USF, PEPP & LMU!

kclubfounder
01-27-2016, 04:38 PM
I said it in another thread and figure it's worth mentioning again. We haven't lost a game by more than 5 points and are effectively 20 points away from being the #1 ranked team in the country. If Josh played from day 1 like he's playing the past several weeks we would have won at least 2 more and would probably be ranked around #10. I, like most of you, am concerned about this team. It could keep losing close games and get left out of the Dance, or it could peak in March and make a Final Four.

Interesting year. No doubt about it.

DixieZag
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
I said it in another thread and figure it's worth mentioning again. We haven't lost a game by more than 5 points and are effectively 20 points away from being the #1 ranked team in the country. If Josh played from day 1 like he's playing the past several weeks we would have won at least 2 more and would probably be ranked around #10. I, like most of you, am concerned about this team. It could keep losing close games and get left out of the Dance, or it could peak in March and make a Final Four.

Interesting year. No doubt about it.

Don't know the actual numbers themselves, but if you look at UConn, USF and Montana, we're only a tiny bit a way from 3 more losses.

kclubfounder
01-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Don't know the actual numbers themselves, but if you look at UConn, USF and Montana, we're only a tiny bit a way from 3 more losses.

Of course. There's always going to be close wins and close losses. But teams that aren't very good ALWAYS have some losses that are convincing. We haven't yet. Get it?

gonstu
01-27-2016, 08:25 PM
And still no bad losses.

Coach Crazy
01-27-2016, 08:35 PM
And still no bad losses.

No bad losses, and not likely to be any.

MDABE80
01-27-2016, 09:00 PM
The funny thing is that we're only 2 pts from being in the top 10 in the country. We'd only have 3 losses. lol........

willandi
01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
And the Zags still control their own destiny. Win out in conference and it's an at large bid, win the conference tourney and it's guaranteed.

The brackets are good for conversation, but there is no way the Zags would have a chance at that many rematches in the first side of the bracket.

Goshzagit
01-28-2016, 07:12 AM
the two losses to smc & buy were unlike any I've seen in this program since '97.

only the ucla debacle seemed close. even that game felt different.

the aforementioned should have been wins. they were wins. dominated from tip-off until 5 mins left in the game.

no excuse for guard play going to pieces and senior stars disappearing.

left a bad taste in my mouth. i would have rather been slaughtered or blown out by 25 by both.

i've had a tough time trusting the team as a fan. i will always be a zag fan, yet can't watch with any joy. no lead, no momentum, no anything is safe.

i understand opponents go "on runs", even fight their way back into it, yet the smc and buy (our rivals!) was different.

we had no fight. no desire. no poise. when it mattered most. shows me these young guys aren't yet players (or zags). not yet.

we dominated both games. no momentum changes. no lead changes. no runs. we just turned off.

i view this is a 'lost season'. not because we have lost games, moreso how we lost them.

i felt elated as a fan even in our 10-loss season(s), again, not about losses or being fair-weather, but rather the team dynamic on the court. we are tripping over ourselves to win games. the want-to isn't there, save one or two guys.

i feel it will return next season. i do. i think balanced efforts, improved leadership, better understanding of roles, and new blood will help fortify this team next season. even in the face of overall youth.

a regime that isn't playing in the footsteps or trying to replace gbj/Pangos, also not reliant on stars to win games (and fail miserably).

we have some heart and toughness, but not in enough players. the remaining are trying to please and look good, rather than play with guts and glory. some growing up, some maturing, some mindset issues are to blame. even some coaching. yes, i said it. coaching has been lackluster in the face of adversity.

the smc and byu games were a pin-point microcosm of this season. the potential and talent to play with anyone, the lack of belief, maturity, awareness, and ability to do so.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-28-2016, 07:17 AM
If we play well enough to make the tourney (assume we learn to close) I don't see how we aren't a serious threat once we get there. Even with all the struggles we've had, it's not like anyone has beaten us wire-to-wire. Outside of the TXAM game at Atlantis we have flat out ALLOWED our losses to happen. We GAVE them those games.

We could miss the tourney, but IF we play well enough to make it there I think we'll be in nearly as good of a position as last year's tourney (in terms of momentum/personnel, not seeding).

Goshzagit
01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
we have flat out ALLOWED our losses to happen. We GAVE them those games.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/64004710.jpg

DixieZag
01-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Of course. There's always going to be close wins and close losses. But teams that aren't very good ALWAYS have some losses that are convincing. We haven't yet. Get it?

I was responding to the point that we were 20 whatever points from an undefeated season. I merely noted that we are just as close to 3 additional losses, in effect stating they all average out, get it?