PDA

View Full Version : Most likely NIT Bound.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Without a win at smu this team is NIT Bound. Sad thag the streak might come to an end when we have such a talented front court.

strikenowhere
01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Yep.

SWZag
01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Kind of premature don't you think? Last I checked the decisions were made at the end of the regular season, AND the winner of the WCC tourney is an automatic bid. Or else maybe they changed it? Maybe, I guess.

vandalzag
01-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Without a win at smu this team is NIT Bound. Sad thag the streak might come to an end when we have such a talented front court.

We missed half of our front court tonight. His plus minus had to be brutal. It is bad enough that KW did not break double figures on offense but he gave up double figures plus on D

strikenowhere
Kind of premature don't you think? Last I checked the decisions were made at the end of the regular season, AND the winner of the WCC tourney is an automatic bid. Or else maybe they changed it? Maybe, I guess.

You think they have a realistic shot to win the auto-bid? finishing in 2nd/3rd would most likely have them match up with BYU, then SMC in the finals. Judging by their performances so far against these two teams wins there are unlikely.

vandalzag

Nope it's over just listen to the super fans.

basketballzag
01-21-2016, 09:11 PM
We missed half of our front court tonight. His plus minus had to be brutal. It is bad enough that KW did not break double figures on offense but he gave up double figures plus on D

And he has multiple turnovers. He was awful on defense in the second half.

NEC26
Witljer was simply terrible on defense. I wonder if his ankle is hurting him.

cggonzaga
Some people just enjoy being negative. Kick em while they're down. It is becoming more clear however that we'll most likely have to win the conference tournament.

Ekrub

Premature was the talk about melson being an NBA player. Nah, I have a pretty good sample size and if we lose to smu our at-large chances are slim and I don't have faith we wI'll win the WCC tournet.

Ezag
01-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Win WCC Tourney LOL

willandi
01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Why don't you want to go to the NCAA's? The Zags will probably be there! Beat SMC at home, beat BYU there and lose no other WCC games and they take the regular season title.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Some people just enjoy being negative. Kick em while they're down. It is becoming more clear however that we'll most likely have to win the conference tournament.

I've never been negative with regards to the zags. Ive just come to terms with what the most likely outcome is.

MDABE80
01-21-2016, 09:15 PM
5 losses by 15 points and we're a gonner? Not in a million years. If we win the rest of the league games,........which we can, we'll be fine. Collepsed tonight. When Kyle looked lost both on offense and defense, Josh sorta passed a lot. WOuld take shots. Point being, when 2 good scorers drop out or are simple ineffective for whatever the reason, it' going to be a loss. Sad to see.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Why don't you want to go to the NCAA's? The Zags will probably be there! Beat SMC at home, beat BYU there and lose no other WCC games and they take the regular season title.

I'd be thrilled if that happened, I just don't think it's going to.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 09:17 PM

Winning the regular season WCC title in no way will insure a Tourney berth. I'd say they're already at the point they better just win the conference tourney to remove all doubt about whether they're in or not.

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 09:18 PM
I've never been negative with regards to the zags. Ive just come to terms with what the most likely outcome is.

I wouldn't say that's the most likely outcome. Possible sure but have some faith man.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:18 PM
5 losses by 15 points and we're a gonner? Not in a million years. If we win the rest of the league games,........which we can, we'll be fine. Collepsed tonight. When Kyle looked lost both on offense and defense, Josh sorta passed a lot. WOuld take shots. Point being, when 2 good scorers drop out or are simple ineffective for whatever the reason, it' going to be a loss. Sad to see.

Unfortunately those were our 5 games to make a statement. Unfortunately our statement was "we can't win these games without karnowski." Gotta build a resume to get an at large bid....

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:19 PM
This thread topic is a colossal sign of unintelligent thought.

Stache
01-21-2016, 09:20 PM
If fatigue because we play about 7 people is a factor in second half collapses, then a tournament with many games over a few days does not seem like a sure bet for a Tourney bid....

Ezag
01-21-2016, 09:20 PM

or a bunch of upset, puzzled fans. How did we lose after McClellan and Dranginis scored a combined 33 points?

Hoopaholic
01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
amazing how "half empty" many can be. We clearly show we can dominate any team when we play well, We clearly have some issues regarding holding a lead, but that is very typical of a young backcourt, which is getting better and better.

I have full faith that we will be in ncaa tournament.

Alum08
01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
What a great midseason thread. Fantastic, keep up the good work.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:22 PM

Hey, you're undoubtedly much smarter than me. Why am I wrong? If we lose to SMU, what are our chances of getting an at large bid? And if we don't get an at large what do you estimate our chances of winning the WCC tourney?

Rbo
01-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Umm...if we lose at SMU, and lose a couple more WCC regular season games, and win the WCC tourney (which is totally realistic), what post-season tournament do we go to?

cjm720
01-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Ye of little faith

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:24 PM
What a great midseason thread. Fantastic, keep up the good work.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words.

raise the zag
Witljer was simply terrible on defense. I wonder if his ankle is hurting him.

yes, it is.

his defense is lackluster to begin with yet with a lisfranc (musle to tendon) injury/strain, he's been fighting through continued soreness.

much like Pangos with his turf toe. feels fine one step, horrible another, always in the back of your mind.

Doesn't effect shooting much, yet cutting jumping defending takes a toll.

can't expect both bigs to stay healthy all season playing 39 mins a game. bound to happen.

just have to deal and play through.

btw, Wiltjer's foot expected to be season-long. he knows it, coaches know it, trainers know it.

treatment after every game and practice for now.

Ezag
Hey, you're undoubtedly much smarter than me. Why am I wrong? If we lose to SMU, what are our chances of getting an at large bid? And if we don't get an at large what do you estimate our chances of winning the WCC tourney?

You're not wrong...some people are so smart they can't see any other possibility

HenneZag
01-21-2016, 09:25 PM

Or just a passionate fan base that is frustrated with their team right now. I like most on here are getting sick of watching this team blow significant leads. We were so close to having 1 maybe 2 total losses at this point.

I do agree the thread topic is a little much but may not be far from reality.

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 09:27 PM
amazing how "half empty" many can be. We clearly show we can dominate any team when we play well, We clearly have some issues regarding holding a lead, but that is very typical of a young backcourt, which is getting better and better.

The Zags seem to be running on "half empty" in the 2nd half. Gonzaga had leads in the 2nd half in all 5 losses. IIRC

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Umm...if we lose at SMU, and lose a couple more WCC regular season games, and win the WCC tourney (which is totally realistic), what post-season tournament do we go to?

The NCAA tournament. It would be fantastic if the Zags manage to pull it off. But I don't believe it is likely they get thete, given their current situation

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Or just a passionate fan base that is frustrated with their team right now. I like most on here are getting sick of watching this team blow significant leads. We were so close to having 1 maybe 2 total losses at this point.

I do agree the thread topic is a little much but may not be far from reality.

Is it too early to get excited about next season?

Ezag
01-21-2016, 09:28 PM
The Zags seem to be running on "half empty" in the 2nd half. Gonzaga had leads in the 2nd half in all 5 losses. IIRC

Half-empty with no bench.....they need some Red Bull at half-time!

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 09:29 PM

I'm always excited for next season whether we're winning or losing.

basketballzag
01-21-2016, 09:32 PM
yes, it is.

his defense is lackluster to begin with yet with a lisfranc (musle to tendon) injury/strain, he's been fighting through continued soreness.

much like Pangos with his turf toe. feels fine one step, horrible another, always in the back of your mind.

can't expect both bigs to stay healthy all season playing 39 mins a game. bound to happen.

btw, Wiltjer's foot expected to be season-long. he knows it, coaches know it, trainers know it.

I was chalking up Wiltjer's performance tonight to bad case of the flu but now that you point out a lisfranc injury that makes a ton of sense because is not playing like he was earlier in the season. It also is limiting him on defense defending which just seemed odd because he put the work in. Glad you posted this tidbit :)

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:33 PM

I responded incorrectly. Your approach is deeply frustrating, and I believe based more in emotion than in looking at things from a basketball perspective.

1) We gave that game away. The "KenPom" offense everyone has been talking about didn't beat us.
2) St. Mary's is only 2-2 on the road and still has to play @Provo and @Gonzaga. They are a different road team, and they are a different team against quality and average opponents. As well, they have already dropped a game to a bad team. We went on the SCU/USF road trip and beat the demons that follow there. The likelihood of them (SMC) winning out is not very good. In fact, I wouldn't bet a penny on it.
3) I saw a lot of positives tonight. Aside from Josh dribbling into those trouble areas, he looks confident and is calling for the ball.
4) This team held SMC to a first half total of 26 points. Tell me how they (SMC) get back into a game like that without a crowd and favorable ref'ing?
5) There were a lot of positives to build off of. You take this into the next game and you keep playing like this. The defensive intensity was impressive. You won't lose again, if this is the basement floor.
6) They have 5 losses. even at 7 or 8 they are still an at-large bid. I am not sure that people have been watching the rest of college basketball, but there has been some bad losing by some factory schools. We're getting a bit of tunnel vision.
7)St. Mary's hasn't played much on the road (so we don't know what they are, in totality) and their first neutral site games will be the WCC Tourney.

I could go on, but I'll just say you aren't unintelligent. Lack of control on my part. I apologize. But you and some others are very frustrating. This is a process. They are putting all the pieces together while flying the plane at the same time. We have another month and a week before the WCC tourney. This is not the team you will see at that point. They will be better. I think SMC has hit their ceiling, for the most part.

HenneZag
01-21-2016, 09:35 PM

I am excited for next season for sure...of course thats if we keep all of the peices that are supposed to come here next season. Norvell and Collins I hope stay eager and excited, we haven't had a year with so many doubts in years, so im hoping thier is no domino effect.

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I wonder if the hand injury had something to do with DS missing the front end at the FT line. DS is nails at the charity stripe.

vandalzag
01-21-2016, 09:36 PM
or a bunch of upset, puzzled fans. How did we lose after McClellan and Dranginis scored a combined 33 points?

Because KW picked the wrong time to vanish. He was not just bad but he was terrible. Other players stepped up but we fell just short.

HenneZag
01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Because KW picked the wrong time to vanish. He was not just bad but he was terrible. Other players stepped up but we fell just short.

I agree that KW was pretty terrible tonight and I'm talking more on the defensive end. Atleast he could've hit some long balls to level the playing field.

LongIslandZagFan
Here is my impression of the board lately:

WE SUCK! WE SUCK! WE SUCK!!!

HOW DARE YOU POINT OUT OUR NEGATIVITY!

WE SUCK! WE SUCK! WE SUCK!!!

I am sure some of the younger folks don't remember the season where, gasp, the Zags lost 6-10 games in a season. Older folks, inexcusable.

strikenowhere
I responded incorrectly. Your approach is deeply frustrating, and I believe based more in emotion than in looking at things from a basketball perspective.

1) We gave that game away. The "KenPom" offense everyone has been talking about didn't beat us.
2) St. Mary's is only 2-2 on the road and still has to play @Provo and @Gonzaga. They are a different road team, and they are a different team against quality and average opponents. The likelihood of them winning out is not very good. In fact, I wouldn't bet a penny on it.
3) I saw a lot of positives tonight. Aside from Josh dribbling into those trouble areas, he looks confident and is calling for the ball.
4) This team held SMC to a first half total of 26 points. Tell me how they (SMC) get back into a game like that without a crowd and favorable ref'ing?
5) There were a lot of positives to build off of. You take this into the next game and you keep playing like this. The defensive intensity was impressive. You won't lose again, if this is the basement floor.
6) They have 5 losses. even at 7 or 8 they are still an at-large bid. I am not sure that people have been watching the rest of college basketball, but there has been some bad losing by some factory schools. We're getting a bit of tunnel vision.
7)St. Mary's hasn't played much on the road (so we don't know what they are, in totality) and their first neutral site games will be the WCC Tourney.

I could go on, but I'll just say you aren't unintelligent. Lack of control on my part. I apologize. But you and some others are very frustrating. This is a process. They are putting all the pieces together while flying the plane at the same time. We have another month and a week before the WCC tourney. This is not the team you will see at that point. They will be better. I think SMC has hit their ceiling, for the most part.

While you make some good points, I would think the fear here is that the pieces won't be put together by the time it matters most. Its just as frustrating watching the leads get blown repeatedly as it is having to deal with us that are frustrating you. Do I want them to crash and burn? Hell no I don't...I want them in the dance every year, trying to win the championship!

Alum08
01-21-2016, 09:41 PM

2) St. Mary's is only 2-2 on the road and still has to play @Provo and @Gonzaga. They are a different road team, and they are a different team against quality and average opponents. The likelihood of them winning out is not very good. In fact, I wouldn't bet a penny on it.

Thank you for writing this out because it saved me the trouble of doing so.

Team is still trending up, lots of things to get excited about tonight, namely Dranginis looking for his shot and EMac bringing the hustle. SMU can't stop DS. They couldn't stop him tonight even without anyone drawing pressure away from the post, and they won't be able to stop him the WCC tournament. If KW plays an average game, we beat them on their BEST night.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Ummm... just to be clear... you win the WCC tourney, there is only one tourney you are going to. I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 09:44 PM

The factory schools with bad losses still have a whole bunch of opportunities to pick up multiple good wins. The Zags are quickly running out of opportunities for that. At this point it's a couple decent wins over Washington and UConn (neither or which is close to being a lock for the Tourney) and that's it. Hardly an at-large worthy resume. It's not about won-lost record, it's about who you beat. Just look at St. Mary's historically for proof of this.

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 09:46 PM
The factory schools with bad losses still have a whole bunch of opportunities to pick up multiple good wins. The Zags are quickly running out of opportunities for that. At this point it's a couple decent wins over Washington and UConn (neither or which is close to being a lock for the Tourney) and that's it. Hardly an at-large worthy resume. It's not about won-lost record, it's about who you beat. Just look at St. Mary's historically for proof of this.

We've had years we've got an at large bid with less impressive wins than what we have this year. Can't lose too many more though.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:47 PM
While you make some good points, I would think the fear here is that the pieces won't be put together by the time it matters most. Its just as frustrating watching the leads get blown repeatedly as it is having to deal with us that are frustrating you. Do I want them to crash and burn? Hell no I don't...I want them in the dance every year, trying to win the championship!

I don't believe in completely shunning what you see...as, well...coaches use that part of their perception, but I just don't see numbers that confirm that they are stagnating or in a down trend. So, I can't justify fear. And if we are worried about our chances at getting an at-large, then we should not really care what happens the rest of the way, because it will come down to the tourney winner. SMC still has 2-4 losses left in them (One in Provo, one in Spokane, and potentially one or more elsewhere), which would present a 3-way tie, and I believe at that point their cream puff schedule would eliminate them from being able to win the tiebreaker.

DixieZag
01-21-2016, 09:47 PM

2) St. Mary's is only 2-2 on the road and still has to play @Provo and @Gonzaga. They are a different road team, and they are a different team against quality and average opponents. As well, they have already dropped a game to a bad team. We went on the SCU/USF road trip and beat the demons that follow there. The likelihood of them (SMC) winning out is not very good. In fact, I wouldn't bet a penny on it.

7-8 losses and still get bid???

Not with one, maybe two good wins, depending on one's threshold.

Team has to win at SMU to talk "bid" again.

Otherwise, we have to win at Vegas. Which isn't impossible. Just get a 40 pt lead in second half - then we're ok.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Not based on emotions at all. Our resume is bubblelicious if we win out the WCC, lose in the WCC tourney, and don't beat smu. I want the tourney because anything can happen. But ad things stand now, without a win at smu we are an NIT team. That's not crazy. Look at the kenpom. Subtract the at larges and where are we?

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:49 PM

This is true, but there is also the rest of the field that will be in the running for at-larges, as well. And if the Blue Blood's are losing, then the crowd beneath the ceiling (including those who don't have it as likely to pick up a bunch more good wins) are going to be in a similar boat as we are.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Not based on emotions at all. Our resume is bubblelicious if we win out the WCC, lose in the WCC tourney, and don't beat smu. I want the tourney because anything can happen. But ad things stand now, without a win at smu we are an NIT team. That's not crazy. Look at the kenpom. Subtract the at larges and where are we?

KenPom is premature, right now. As of right now is irrelevant. As of right now, SMC hasn't played the bulk of their road schedule. So, I don't really care what KenPom says, because imbalance does not provide for totality. Once balance is achieved, we'll see where things are.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 09:53 PM

So, if we win by 1-3 points tonight, are you still posting what you did?

vandalzag
01-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Ummm... just to be clear... you win the WCC tourney, there is only one tourney you are going to. I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

If you keep using simple logic you are going to confuse the panic posse

jayray
01-21-2016, 10:04 PM

It doesn't matter. Your screen name is fitting if you think two teams are going to the dance this year from the WCC, one with 8 losses.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Well, anywho, I learned a lesson tonight. Best to just let people go through the process and not try to confront things I don't agree with. Do what you guys gotta do to get through the fear. Always a chance things don't go our way, but I see a team that could be absolutely rolling come March. I don't see the same potential in other teams in this conference.

Ezag
01-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Well, anywho, I learned a lesson tonight. Best to just let people go through the process and not try to confront things I don't agree with. Do what you guys gotta do to get through the fear. Always a chance things don't go our way, but I see a team that could be absolutely rolling come March. I don't see the same potential in other teams in this conference.

Perhaps, but the good news is we are going to one of the 4 post season tourneys

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 10:08 PM
It doesn't matter. Your screen name is fitting if you think two teams are going to the dance this year from the WCC, one with 8 losses.

It does matter. Because even with a win, this team doesn't change it's entire profile because of 1-3 points.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM

Roung of 64, 32, Sweet 16, or Elite Eight?

Ezag
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Roung of 64, 32, Sweet 16, or Elite Eight?

I like your thinking! :roll:

TravelinZag
01-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Agreed. If it comes to that, hope they'll excuse the seniors, who had little responsibility for such a fate, and nothing to gain from participating in such a farce. Returning players might gain some benefit from playing in even an also-ran post-season tournament, but not much. Send them and treat the NIT as 2016-17 preseason games that won't count against next year's team record. Or, take a pass and embrace the reality that maybe 68 teams are all that have earned post-season play. That would be sort of like 6-6 football teams declining to participate in shameless bowl games against 7-5 teams. Oh, yeah . . . . the money. After deducting expenses, and splitting the remainder with the rest of the WCC, doubt it amounts to much. Let the players resume their studies and have a brief experience with normal campus life instead. That would be a much better use of their time.

Still, if miracles happen and an NCAA bid materializes, take it, dance, and reflect on what could have been and a streak that continues (barely).

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 10:38 PM

No.its not that I don't think we have a good team or the potential to be a good team. I just don't think our resume is strong enough to get an at large and winning the WCC tournament seems like a pretty tall task.

Ekrub
01-21-2016, 10:40 PM
From jeff eisenberg: The Zags do have a shot at a quality win against SMU still, but their margin for error shrank considerably with these losses to BYU/SMC.

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Why is it a tall task ekrub? Yes we lost 2 games but we held big leads in both. It's not like SMC and BYU are head and shoulders better than us.

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Why is it a tall task ekrub? Yes we lost 2 games but we held big leads in both. It's not like SMC and BYU are head and shoulders better than us.

To be honest, I think the losing big leads in both is where the concern should come from. It is becoming a trend. I still feel this team is growing. GU has 45+ days to figure it out.

maynard g krebs
01-21-2016, 11:00 PM

One could say the same about predictions that the Zags would win this one by double digits.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2016, 11:05 PM

BINGO. This is a 1 bid league.

zagamatic
01-21-2016, 11:05 PM
I will say this, if there's a year to have a less than great resume, this is it. I'd say that there's MAYBE 15 locks for the tournament this year and that's pushing it. I haven't been keeping up on other mid major conferences, but none stand out as having a lot of at large bids. There's more at large bids waiting to be plucked than in recent years and no truly dominant teams. Heck, the only team that can finish undefeated isn't even post season eligible.
If we can remain somewhat healthy, make a few adjustments and get on a roll it's entirely possible to win the national title this year. Or get eliminated in the first round of the NIT. Both are completely possible at this point.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2016, 11:06 PM
I will say this, if there's a year to have a less than great resume, this is it. I'd say that there's MAYBE 15 locks for the tournament this year and that's pushing it. I haven't been keeping up on other mid major conferences, but none stand out as having a lot of at large bids. There's more at large bids waiting to be plucked than in recent years and no truly dominant teams. Heck, the only team that can finish undefeated isn't even post season eligible.
If we can remain somewhat healthy, make a few adjustments and get on a roll it's entirely possible to win the national title this year. Or get eliminated in the first round of the NIT. Both are completely possible at this point.

Didd you just say NATIONAL TITLE? Like in winning the whole thing? Like Championship, raising the trophy National Title???

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Didd you just say NATIONAL TITLE? Like in winning the whole thing? Like Championship, raising the trophy National Title???

I wouldn't want to be a 7 seed playing the 10 seed Zags. I won't say Gonzaga is going far in March but the lower the seed Gonzaga gets, it won't be a fun matchup for the higher seed. This team will improve over the next 45 days.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2016, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't want to be a 7 seed playing the 10 seed Zags. I wouldn't say Gonzaga is going far in March but the lower the seed Gonzaga gets, it won't be a fun matchup for the higher seed. This team will improve over the next 45 days.

Agreed, but he did mention NATIONAL TITLE... as in NATIONAL TITLE.

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Agreed, but he did mention NATIONAL TITLE... as in NATIONAL TITLE.

True.

ZagaZags
01-21-2016, 11:18 PM
At this point, I just want GU to make the dance. This is new territory for Zag fans.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Does this mean i should start listing my tickets to the final four in Houston on stub hub?

zagamatic
01-21-2016, 11:33 PM
The point I was making is that no team in the running for the tournament this year is more than one injury away from losing to anyone else in the tournament. IF we're HEALTHY and finding our groove at the right time, this team is athletic enough and good enough on defense to have a chance to win against any team out there this year on a good day

MDABE80
01-22-2016, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately those were our 5 games to make a statement. Unfortunately our statement was "we can't win these games without karnowski." Gotta build a resume to get an at large bid....

We have one. And by selection sunday e'll have more V's. I odubt we'll go far in the NCAA but I do think we'll be there.

Zags11
01-22-2016, 01:34 AM

Im sure if you were in the huddle you would explain how to not vanish? Lmao. I agree but your annoyance at players but love fest with a do no wrong coach(in your eyes) is cute. I love few but he tightens up.

Birddog
01-22-2016, 04:05 AM
yes, it is.

KW's ability to move laterally is getting worse IMO, it was really apparent last night. I kept wondering why Edwards didn't get a little more PT. With the impaired Wiltjer, I don't see that much drop off. He was only in for a few minutes but Edwards was open on the pick and roll at least 3 times in the 2nd half. He could have mucked it up a little with SMC's bigs.
Both KW and DS have to really be aware of the helpside D trying to pick them off, esp KW,

Zagceo
01-22-2016, 04:15 AM
One could say the same about predictions that the Zags would win this one by double digits.

Did you even watch the game? We led by 8 at half and stretched it to 15 in second half.

Why would anyone think we should have won by double digits. Really?

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-22-2016, 04:21 AM
Agreed. If it comes to that, hope they'll excuse the seniors, who had little responsibility for such a fate, and nothing to gain from participating in such a farce. Returning players might gain some benefit from playing in even an also-ran post-season tournament, but not much. Send them and treat the NIT as 2016-17 preseason games that won't count against next year's team record. Or, take a pass and embrace the reality that maybe 68 teams are all that have earned post-season play. That would be sort of like 6-6 football teams declining to participate in shameless bowl games against 7-5 teams. Oh, yeah . . . . the money. After deducting expenses, and splitting the remainder with the rest of the WCC, doubt it amounts to much. Let the players resume their studies and have a brief experience with normal campus life instead. That would be a much better use of their time.

Still, if miracles happen and an NCAA bid materializes, take it, dance, and reflect on what could have been and a streak that continues (barely).

Very surprising post TravelinZag. IF Zags are looking at NIT tourney this postseason, they should absolutely accept the invite and play out the season with pride and dignity. Your suggesting otherwise is the most glaring symptom of Dukie-ism elitist pomposity creeping into ZagNation I've seen yet. Coach Few and this program have way more class then to do as you suggest. To be fair to Coach K and Duke, he and that program have more class than that too and would also embrace the NIT tourney with pride and dignity.

TexasZagFan
01-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Nope it's over just listen to the super fans.

:lmao:

There's a lot of basketball to be played. BYU didn't help themselves by losing to Portland, and they're at Pepperdine tomorrow. Conference looks better top to bottom than it has in a long time. I think there are more surprises to come.

As of this moment, if we make it to the championship game in Vegas, that will put us over the top. A win at SMU would be huge.

TexasZagFan
01-22-2016, 05:03 AM

If your focus centers on keeping the streak alive, I suggest you find another team to support. I'm long past mourning over the loss of Karnowski, I'm just hoping that Shem recovers and is able to continue his career.

There's a lot of basketball left to be played, and the WCC is much more competitive this year than previously.

The streak is nice, but it doesn't consume me as it apparently does you. I've never seen any quit in any Zags team, and I don't see it in this one.

Gonzaga is now a highly respected international brand. We're not perfect, but we play hard, we'll play anybody, anywhere (though we're a bit more selective than 10 years ago). This is about the first time I've seen an incoming recruiting class in the top 25.

I'm just as proud of Shem making the WCC All Academic team as I was of my Zags in Houston last year. What an accomplishment, he'll earn a degree from an American university whose instruction is in a tongue foreign to his.

Every year is a journey with the Zags, with its own peaks and valleys. Stay focused on this year, and next year will be here soon enough.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-22-2016, 07:08 AM
If your focus centers on keeping the streak alive, I suggest you find another team to support. I'm long past mourning over the loss of Karnowski, I'm just hoping that Shem recovers and is able to continue his career.

The streak is nice, but it doesn't consume me as it apparently does you. I've never seen any quit in any Zags team, and I don't see it in this one.

My question for everyone is this. I love the NCAA Tournament more than anything. It's by far my favorite time of the year. But could you enjoy it as much without the Zags there? I'm not sure I could. That's part of the reason I want to make it so badly.

TexasZagFan
01-22-2016, 07:09 AM
My question for everyone is this. I love the NCAA Tournament more than anything. It's by far my favorite time of the year. But could you enjoy it as much without the Zags there? I'm not sure I could. That's part of the reason I want to make it so badly.

Probably not, but it will free up more time for me to work out. I don't get enough exercise during the Dance...lol.

bartruff1
01-22-2016, 07:31 AM

The Truth.....I would only add that St Mary's is pretty darn good....this is going to be a terrific Conference race.....and of course, Sabonis might just be the best Zag in the last 20 years.

RenoZag
01-22-2016, 08:05 AM
My question for everyone is this. I love the NCAA Tournament more than anything. It's by far my favorite time of the year. But could you enjoy it as much without the Zags there?

Yes.

Mr Vulture
01-22-2016, 08:37 AM
I thought that St Marys looked very average. They didn't win this game...the Zags lost it. I will predict, right now, that St Marys has at least 3 league losses by the conference tournament and maybe even four. Sabonis isn't even Top 5 for me yet...he may be up there when all is said and done but he has a ways to go.

The Truth.....I would only add that St Mary's is pretty darn good....this is going to be a terrific Conference race.....and of course, Sabonis might just be the best Zag in the last 20 years.

CdAZagFan
01-22-2016, 08:56 AM
I thought that St Marys looked very average. They didn't win this game...the Zags lost it. I will predict, right now, that St Marys has at least 3 league losses by the conference tournament and maybe even four. Sabonis isn't even Top 5 for me yet...he may be up there when all is said and done but he has a ways to go.

I agree... St.Mary's didn't impress me as much as I thought they would. Like BYU, I see them stumbling against someone else in conference - meaning the conference title is still within reach. As for the WCC tourney title, that will definitely be a test this year. I'm worried that losing these leads and losing these close games is going to affect the team psyche. There are not many opportunities for them to turn that around before the WCC tourney. I have to trust, though, that this team - like so many Zag teams before it - will rise to the challenge.

vandalzag
01-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Depends if you are a fan of College hoops with a favorite team or just a fan of the Zags. For the me the tourney split between both. Lots of games to enjoy, stories to be told, etc... When I was younger and without kids I was able to watch a lot more hoops so I would have a better feel for teams besides the Zags. Now it is root for the Zags as far as they go and then hope to watch some good games after that.

jim77
01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Just let the fellas keep playing and working out the kinks. If we win the WCC tourney...we are in. I can't even imagine the run on crow sauce that will happen if this team goes on a run...or goes to the 2nd weekend of the tourney. Keep fighting young Zags...and keep learning. A video that fits the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBOwPORHGU

This ain't over yet...they get big leads.......crappy teams don't even get that....they'll figure it out. Loved Eric M's effort....keep it up!

seacatfan
01-22-2016, 11:34 AM

Just curious, if somehow the Zags neither made the NCAA or NIT, do you think they would accept an invite to the CBI or CIT? Seems like in recent years there has been a trend of teams that had higher expectations declining anything below the NIT.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-22-2016, 12:26 PM

The Gaels played with a lot of heart. They fought hard enough to close the gap.

DixieZag
01-22-2016, 12:37 PM
The Gaels played with a lot of heart. They fought hard enough to close the gap.

We weren't the only ones with the auto-bid riding on last night's game. If they drop that game at home, their hopes just took a big kerplunk.

IF we can figure out how to play with the lead, then I feel ok about a good shot at the WCC tourney - and we still could win the regular league title. But, if we don't go out and hold a good lead (like we'll have against SMC at home, I would bet, maybe even SMU) at some point, I give us very little chance of winning the WCC tourney.

Since, what? UCONN we've either blown bad teams out, or lost a lead to a good team and lost. Not a good formula.

bartruff1
01-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Probably not, but it will free up more time for me to work out. I don't get enough exercise during the Dance...lol.

When you get a chance to sit or dance.....I hope you dance...

bartruff1
01-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Just curious, if somehow the Zags neither made the NCAA or NIT, do you think they would accept an invite to the CBI or CIT? Seems like in recent years there has been a trend of teams that had higher expectations declining anything below the NIT.

Of course they should ...

seacatfan
01-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Of course they should ...

I disagree. There is a fairly high correlation between teams advancing far in the NIT and making the NCAA Tourney the following year, but I don't think there's anything to be gained by playing in the CIT or CBI. It's completely beneath GU. Yeah you get a few extra games, but so what. Anyway I think it's moot, Zags should be in one of the two post season tourneys that matter.

VinnyZag
01-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Lunardi has the Zags in as one of the last four at-larges:

Joe Lunardi
@ESPNLunardi
..27-Dayton, 28-WICH, 29-STMARY, 30-Texas, 31-NDame, 32-Mich, 33-Utah, 34-UConn, 35-Cal, 36-Fla, 37-Zaga, 38-Colo, 39-TTech, 40-GWash(L4)..

KStyles
01-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Lunardi has the Zags in as one of the last four at-larges:

Couple spots before the last 4 at larges.

Joe Lunardi @ESPNLunardi
...41-VALPO, 42-Monmouth(L4), 43-Ucla(L4), 44-Cincy(L4), 45-VCU, 46-WASH, 47-SDSU, 48-UALR, 49-STONY, 50-UCI, 51-W&M, 52-CHATT, 53-BELM...

VinnyZag
01-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Couple spots before the last 4 at larges.

Joe Lunardi @ESPNLunardi
...41-VALPO, 42-Monmouth(L4), 43-Ucla(L4), 44-Cincy(L4), 45-VCU, 46-WASH, 47-SDSU, 48-UALR, 49-STONY, 50-UCI, 51-W&M, 52-CHATT, 53-BELM...

Ahh, you're right. I misunderstood Lunardi's Twitter shorthand.

MDABE80
01-22-2016, 10:56 PM
I agree... St.Mary's didn't impress me as much as I thought they would. Like BYU, I see them stumbling against someone else in conference - meaning the conference title is still within reach. As for the WCC tourney title, that will definitely be a test this year. I'm worried that losing these leads and losing these close games is going to affect the team psyche. There are not many opportunities for them to turn that around before the WCC tourney. I have to trust, though, that this team - like so many Zag teams before it - will rise to the challenge.

If we hadn't quit, SMC would have been beat by double figures. I don't know how or why we collapsed but If you think SMC showed much last night, we really disagree. I suspect they'll make the NCAA tournament for a game or maybe two depending on who they play. Any good team ( GU in the first 30 minutes) who didn't collapse, would beat em by 20.

I'm still numb over how we quit. If you think about it, we gave that game up. I dunno what happened. I still don't see a leader. I thought maybe Josh would be but he didn't show up either. SOmebody's got to step up and rive this team. Few didn't.Much to my surprised, he just watched...like the team did. Worst loss I've seen in years..a lot of years.

ZagaZags
01-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Only Dean Smith (23) and Mike Krzyzewski (20) have more consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances than Mark Few (16)

I hope Few can make it 17 consecutive appearances.

ZAGduck
01-23-2016, 12:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Birddog
01-23-2016, 03:47 AM
Only Dean Smith (23) and Mike Krzyzewski (20) have more consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances than Mark Few (16)

I hope Few can make it 17 consecutive appearances.

Izzo has 18 with MSU. Few with 16 falls into 4th place just ahead of Bob Knight with 15.

Edit, The chart I saw didn't explicitly say it was consecutive, so maybe Izzo's string was broken at some point.

ZagaZags
01-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Izzo has 18 with MSU. Few with 16 falls into 4th place just ahead of Bob Knight with 15.

Edit, The chart I saw didn't explicitly say it was consecutive, so maybe Izzo's string was broken at some point.

You are correct. Tom Izzo has 18, (1998–2015)

Birddog
01-23-2016, 04:00 AM
Here is the chart I saw.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament_cons ecutive_appearances
Heady company to say the least.

Bogozags
01-23-2016, 04:29 AM
I heard a rumor that the Staff and Team have decided to forgo thoughts of playing in the Dance and are now going to prepare for the NIT! It's being said they realize the season can't be salvaged and the streak is now broken, so they will begin anew to start a new streak in the NIT...

It's just crazy how sheet happens...at the beginning of the season, many were all high as a kite thinking this might well be our year to reach the FF and then after one injury, we have now lowered our objectives to playing in the NIT...pretty sad isn't it...

I will admit the Cherry Kool Aide did taste pretty darn good...I had a strong belief that if the ball bounced the right way, we could finish undefeated...and then after the TA&M loss, I thought one loss was realistic. After having watched SMU early, I realized a one loss season was imminent and another #1 ranking was in the cards...I think the loss of PK is such an emotional loss to the TEAM!

This team still has "life" they have to really come together the rest of the way and just find it within themselves...let's hope KW can recuperate from his injury.

How does the Sinatra song go, "...he had hhiigghh hopes..."

Let's get our Rally Caps on!

bartruff1
01-23-2016, 05:23 AM
I'll check with my paperboy, he should be here any moment. He will know for sure. I do not believe the team has given up on making the NCAA Tourney.

gonzagafan62
01-23-2016, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't say that we are just likely to the NIT. Chances are all still there (although more chances to sh1t the bed then there are more chances to help our resume but you dang right I'm rooting for BYU and SMC till we play them. 2002, 2007, 2011 and 2014 all these streaks likely could have ended. Somehow we prevailed. I'll be the one to hold the hope. But like my buddy Jazz said if we did end up in NIT land it's not quite the end of the world

Bogozags
01-23-2016, 08:11 AM
I'll check with my paperboy, he should be here any moment. He will know for sure. I do not believe the team has given up on making the NCAA Tourney.

Boy, wouldn't that be great news! Keep us up todate on what information your paperboy can pass on...

bartruff1
01-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Boy, wouldn't that be great news! Keep us up todate on what information your paperboy can pass on...

He heard a rumor that the staff and the team are expecting to play in the NCAA Tourney.....he is never ever wrong....he has called it right every time in the last 12 years...

DixieZag
01-23-2016, 09:46 AM
He heard a rumor that the staff and the team are expecting to play in the NCAA Tourney.....he is never ever wrong....he has called it right every time in the last 12 years...

Good.

I was hoping to hear that he expects them to be on fire down in Vegas.

Bogozags
01-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Well, that settles it...no further worries here!

sullyzag66
01-24-2016, 08:08 PM
I also heard they were going to cut back drastically in practices because it's too tiring and doesn't seem to be helping.

ProVeeZag
01-24-2016, 08:40 PM
yes, it is.

Since I had never heard of a "lisfranc" injury, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounds like this isn't the type of injury you take lightly. I'm sure they've done the imaging to rule out a fracture. Would an orthotic appliance be of possible benefit with this type of injury?

Ezag
01-24-2016, 09:48 PM
I think we'll be sweet 16 soon as Melson and Alberts hit their strides

ProVeeZag
01-24-2016, 11:14 PM

Just how frickin' old is your paper "boy"?

Zagceo
01-25-2016, 07:10 AM
2011 Bulldogs 13-5 in league play.....23-9 season record ......eighth seed......timing is everything......

can't take a fellas hope away......might be all they got........

realtydog
01-25-2016, 07:20 AM
2011 Bulldogs 13-5 in league play.....23-9 season record ......eighth seed......timing is everything......

can't take a fellas hope away......might be all they got........

Georgia Bulldogs? Kettle Falls Bulldogs? Because the Gonzaga Bulldogs have not lost 5 regular season conference games in almost 20 years

bartruff1
01-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Just how frickin' old is your paper "boy"?

12 or so

Zagceo
01-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Georgia Bulldogs? Kettle Falls Bulldogs? Because the Gonzaga Bulldogs have not lost 5 regular season conference games in almost 20 years

Little help…………………anybody?

DixieZag
01-25-2016, 07:54 AM
12 or so

Perfect. Just old enough to know everything.

I do know this - you can't be ahead at 0:00 unless you have taken and held a lead prior to 0:00 (almost existential there), and they have not shown an ability to do that in big games, yet. So all of this confidence that they can beat so and so, here, there, anywhere, it really just isn't going to happen until they can hold a lead - at least for a 0:001 point in time.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Little help…………………anybody?

2011 we lost three consecutive game in conference and I believe tey were USF Santa Clara and Saint Mary's.... We ran the table the rest of the way except A non conference game (can't remember if this was Memphis, Wake Forest or Xavier, here's where my memory is bad... Lol If my memory serves me right. We didn't lose 5. We ended up 11 seed and beat ST. John's and got jimmered.

EDIT: I think those were the order three conference games too (not 100% on that one though)

Zagceo
01-25-2016, 08:45 AM
"These Bulldogs" are currently ranked #25 this week in CBS poll (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25) with 2-5 conference record.

Birddog
01-25-2016, 08:57 AM
2011 we lost three consecutive game in conference and I believe tey were USF Santa Clara and Saint Mary's.... We ran the table the rest of the way except A non conference game (can't remember if this was Memphis, Wake Forest or Xavier, here's where my memory is bad... Lol If my memory serves me right. We didn't lose 5. We ended up 11 seed and beat ST. John's and got jimmered.

EDIT: I think those were the order three conference games too (not 100% on that one though)

You're pretty close. We lost to SCU and USF on the Bay Area trip. The USF loss was in OT and I'm thinking there was something weird about that game. We then came home and lost to SMC, then beat USD at home and beat Portland away. The Zags then lost to Memphis at Spokane Arena.

seacatfan
01-25-2016, 09:47 AM
You're pretty close. We lost to SCU and USF on the Bay Area trip. The USF loss was in OT and I'm thinking there was something weird about that game. We then came home and lost to SMC, then beat USD at home and beat Portland away. The Zags then lost to Memphis at Spokane Arena.

Was that the game when Sacre got a T after securing a defensive rebound and a USF player stuck his face right where Rob's elbow was?

ProVeeZag
01-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Was that the game when Sacre got a T after securing a defensive rebound and a USF player stuck his face right where Rob's elbow was?

Yes, Rob was called for an intentional foul in the last minute of regulation. This led to the overtime where USF ended up with the win. This followed a loss to SCU earlier on this road trip.