PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see vs the Gaels?

Zags11
01-17-2016, 06:03 PM
I'd like to see our guards knock down some shots early in the game to get them going. I'd like to continue to see our great D on the perimeter vs wcc.

Plus I'd love to see a stomping of the Gaels.

gonstu
01-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Just a "W."

gonzagafan62
01-17-2016, 08:03 PM
A full 40 minutes. We play a full 40 minutes they won't beat us

Go damn zags!

jimmycarter
01-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Solid guard play. Defensive energy.

willandi
01-17-2016, 08:27 PM
12-3's, 5 by Wiltj. 20/15 for Domas. 12 minutes for Edwards. under 8 turnovers with 3 steals and 4 blocks. Hold SMC to 30% from 3. Win the battle of the boards.

CdAZagFan
01-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Just a "W."

This would be the best thing - doesn't matter if it is by one or by 30 (one may actually be better to help generate some late-game confidence). On top of that would be to have the guards shoot a good percentage from 3 (along with KW) and defend the 3-point shot very well.

Coach Crazy
01-17-2016, 08:42 PM
This would be the best thing - doesn't matter if it is by one or by 30 (one may actually be better to help generate some late-game confidence). On top of that would be to have the guards shoot a good percentage from 3 (along with KW) and defend the 3-point shot very well.

Right now, we know what Wilt and Domas can do. We see where Josh is headed, and we have a great glue guy in KD. Emac has a few more notches he can go, but we largely know what we are going to get out of him.

What I really want to see is great defensive commitment from BA and Silas. I want to see low turnovers from them, and great movement without the ball. As well, I want to see them committed to rebounding on the defensive end, and taking away second chance opportunities. Once that is taken care of, and we have some rhythm...then go find their shots and take with confidence. We get that and we roll.

TravelinZag
01-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Just continue to improve as a team. And WIN!

Go Zags!

GrizZAG
01-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Shut down their dribble drive to the rim. Stay out of foul trouble. Get hot and stay hot. Not too tall of an order is it?

DixieZag
01-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Question to others; Anyone else feel like there is less pressure on them in this case, given it is on the road and the assumption is that this year may be the year that BYU and SMC leapfrog us (for at least a year)?

I guess what I'm saying, and I can't believe I am saying it, is that I honestly might give this team better odds on the road at SMC on Thurs then I would at home on Thurs. And that, is flipin' insane.

Coach Crazy
01-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Question to others; Anyone else feel like there is less pressure on them in this case, given it is on the road and the assumption is that this year may be the year that BYU and SMC leapfrog us (for at least a year)?

I guess what I'm saying, and I can't believe I am saying it, is that I honestly might give this team better odds on the road at SMC on Thurs then I would at home on Thurs. And that, is flipin' insane.

Honestly? I don't see how BYU and SMC leap frogging us is a viable assumption being widely made. Nor do I think it is a logical conclusion.

ZagsGoZags
01-17-2016, 09:53 PM
i would like to see them match or exceed their opponents' intensity, and look like they play like they wanted it more than the Gaels did

TheZagPhish
01-17-2016, 11:05 PM
A little chip, good ball movement, and - as jimmy stated above - defensive energy.

ProVeeZag
01-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Statwise, would like to see no more than 8 TO's, at least 20 free throw attempts with at least 80% made; +5 or more rebounding margin and 5 Zags with double-digit points. But I'd give up all of these advantages just for a W-I-N.

cggonzaga
01-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Just a "W."

Plain and simple. Don't care what it looks like.

Zagger
01-18-2016, 02:58 AM
Triano, Bakamus and Beach all on the scoreboard :)

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-18-2016, 05:27 AM
Statwise, would like to see no more than 8 TO's, at least 20 free throw attempts with at least 80% made; +5 or more rebounding margin and 5 Zags with double-digit points. But I'd give up all of these advantages just for a W-I-N.

All of the above plus...I would like to see EMac, Melson, Edwards, Alberts, and Dranginis combine for 35 points. They are all capable of scoring ten or more in a game. I would love to see them all score at least five and combine for 35. If that means 15 for EMac and five for each of the others, I think we would win.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2016, 06:17 AM
THREE THINGS:

1) Karnowski to come out in a zags uni after making a miraculous and unexplainable recovery from his back injury, and go on to score 36 points in a zags win.

2) Omar Samhan to be in the crowd, sobbing uncontrollably, as he realizes that nobody there remembers who he is.

3) Francis the goat, being arrested.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Honestly? I don't see how BYU and SMC leap frogging us is a viable assumption being widely made. Nor do I think it is a logical conclusion.

Really? The ceaseless attacks on the backcourt would say otherwise. Has it not already been proposed that they would not beat SMC and BYU period and will lose to SMU as well?

MTZag03
01-18-2016, 07:08 AM
THREE THINGS:

1) Karnowski to come out in a zags uni after making a miraculous and unexplainable recovery from his back injury, and go on to score 36 points in a zags win.

2) Omar Samhan to be in the crowd, sobbing uncontrollably, as he realizes that nobody there remembers who he is.

3) Francis the goat, being arrested.

Is Francis arrested for eating Omar's shirt?

MTZag03
01-18-2016, 07:10 AM

I don't think that's crazy at all. We've been hunted for 15 years. This year we are equal parts hunter and hunted. This team has a hard time at home, so I completely feel you here.

MTZag03
01-18-2016, 07:14 AM
I'd like to see guards play at a consistent D1 level. Good perimeter defense. Good weakside help. No egregious flop fouls awarded against Sabonis. Active movement on offense with extra passes (especially Wiltjer and Sabonis when double or triple teamed).

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2016, 07:16 AM
In addition to the obvious, a Zags victory, I hope to see:

- Low number of turnovers and the entire team playing with confidence and purpose....no ugly dry spells where the offense is stagnant and one dimensional (give to KW/DS then watch them).

- Sabonis dominate vs higher level competition...no dumb fouls or whining, just dominance and passion.

- KW continue being an offensive savant...25-30 pts.

- Perkins keep trending upward...2 turnovers max, confident and controlled with the ball, knock down shots and dish dimes.

- Melson continue playing great defense and having an offensive outburst, say 12-15 pts, including a nasty crowd deflating dunk!

- Edwards earn more meaningful minutes by being a force on the glass, hanging on to every ball he gets his hands on and score 6-8 points on post moves.

- Alberts and KD each go 2-3 on 3 pointers; McClellan play nasty D and convert a few drives to the rim.

I don't ask for much, just a perfect game :-)

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2016, 07:19 AM

That's definitely a possibility. Amongst other charges.

willandi
01-18-2016, 07:55 AM
That's definitely a possibility. Amongst other charges.

...his ham sanwich

Hoopaholic
01-18-2016, 07:57 AM
We contain the three point shooting
Sabonis stays out of ticky tack foul trouble
Control the boards-limiting long rebounds from the three point shot
Edwards provides 12 minutes of solid performance
Guards play loose and free

A win

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2016, 08:09 AM
...his ham sanwich

Which could also be an alternate explanation as to why Hamsan was crying.

Zags11
01-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Which could also be an alternate explanation as to why Hamsan was crying.

Francis for ³32332233233 and ends with 29pts, 21 boards, 3 eaten jerseys.

adoptedzag
01-18-2016, 09:03 AM
a mix of 1-3-1 and 3-2 zones to go along with Man to Man, the guy on the weak side of the zone not falling asleep because they get so many 3s from ball reversal its stupid. That and a win. By 30, by 1, by 100, I don't care, just a W.

amaronizag
01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Tight man to man defense so we don't have to play zone that will allow their fabulous 3 point shooters to kill us from the perimeter. A 100% healthy Wiltjer. A great night from Melson.

titopoet
01-18-2016, 09:24 AM
I want to see the guards in attack mode the whole game. It was clear Few let that be known for the Sand Diego game. Even Alberts attack on the bounce. Build on that and attack, attack, attack and cause a gael force for pain to SMC.

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Really? The ceaseless attacks on the backcourt would say otherwise. Has it not already been proposed that they would not beat SMC and BYU period and will lose to SMU as well?

A critique a player's performance is not an attack. To a fan with less desire to discuss basketball from certain perspectives, I can see how they might be seen as attacks, but they are not. And I think seeing them as "attacks" is unhealthy. I would be worried about how those people take real, constructive criticisms in various parts of their personal lives, outside of this board.

Furthermore, said critique's don't correlate to how I see them playing against SMC. SMC has been given far too much credit. I am more concerned about BYU (if we don't play our game), but that concern is minimal. It has been proposed, but those proposals have been from a fear-based and/or uninformed perspective.

Let me know when SMC starts 1) playing outside of CA and more away from home and 2) has a SOS higher than 197. Can you imagine where Gonzaga would be if they followed the same format?

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 10:42 AM
SMC has been given far too much credit. I am more concerned about BYU (if we don't play our game), but that concern is minimal. It has been proposed, but those proposals have been from a fear-based and/or uninformed perspective.

Let me know when SMC starts 1) playing outside of CA and more away from home and 2) has a SOS higher than 197. Can you imagine where Gonzaga would be if they followed the same format?

You are so right. Here's another example of some idiots giving SMC too much credit.
You might want to check our todays latest Bracketology. Crazy (related?) Lunardi gave the Gaels a #8 seed !!! What an idiot he is, right?

You better keep spreading your message because, Kenpom, Saragin, RPI, AP poll, etc., etc. apparently haven't "seen your light".

God forbid, if SMC did ever get into the NCAA Tourney, perhaps they will allow SMC to play their tourney games at McKeon so that at the least, they would have a chance so as not to be embarrassed because everyone gave them "far too much credit".

ProjectMKUltra5
01-18-2016, 10:48 AM
You are so right. Here's another example of some idiots giving SMC too much credit. You better keep spreading your message because, Kenpom, Saragin, RPI, AP poll, etc., etc. apparently haven't "seen your light".

God forbid, if SMC did ever get into the NCAA Tourney, perhaps they will allow SMC to play their tourney games at McKeon so that at the least, they would have a chance so as not to be embarrassed because everyone gave them "too much credit".

I'm sorry, but you don't get a pat on the back for beating UC-Cupcake. You can throw out all the stats you want, strength of schedule makes almost all of them irrelevant.

BULLDOG#1
01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
I would like to see the upstarts reminded of who owns this conference.

Seriously... I would like to see the zags put together their best game of the season on both sides of the ball and completely demoralize the Gaels. I would like to see the frustration of the BYU loss and the frustration of being told over and over that SMC is now the class of the WCC, taken out on the Gaels. In their gym. In front of their fans.

The Gaels have looks great at times this season, but I agree with many that they haven't really proven anything yet as they haven't really beaten anyone noteworthy away from Moraga. As good as they've looked, I believe the zags still have the firepower to completely dominate them. May be a tough task for this fragile zag team, but it's within their grasp. Honestly, at some point they're really going to start clicking on both sides of the ball and for a complete game. I'd love to see that happen in Moraga.

RenoZag
01-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I'd like to see a visit by the Fire Marshall and a reputable HVAC contractor. That sweat box is woefully ventilated, especially when they ignore the capacity restrictions. . .

:jk:

As always, it will be a great match-up.

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry, but you don't get a pat on the back for beating UC-Cupcake. You can throw out all the stats you want, strength of schedule makes almost all of them irrelevant.

Northern Arizona
Mount St. Mary's
St. Martin's

How do you like your cupcakes?
Quit being so sanctimonious.
SMC played a crappy non conference schedule. It's NOT everything. Maybe use BYU as a yardstick? Oh wait, maybe not.

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 11:12 AM
You are so right. Here's another example of some idiots giving SMC too much credit.
You might want to check our todays latest Bracketology. Crazy (related?) Lunardi gave the Gaels a #8 seed !!! What an idiot he is, right?

You better keep spreading your message because, Kenpom, Saragin, RPI, AP poll, etc., etc. apparently haven't "seen your light".

God forbid, if SMC did ever get into the NCAA Tourney, perhaps they will allow SMC to play their tourney games at McKeon so that at the least, they would have a chance so as not to be embarrassed because everyone gave them "far too much credit".

Again, I stand by what I have said, so far. Thank you for bringing up what you did. First and foremost, the AP is not the same as Kenpom, Saragin, RPI or otherwise. I am not so sure you understand how most of those function?

If you'll notice, Gonzaga's RPI dropped 30 points simply by losing to BYU. With that SOS you guys have, you're walking a much finer line. What these aggregates and analytical systems aren't doing is insulating you against losses. And the probability of SMC losing more games is higher, than it would be for BYU or Gonzaga.

In order to maintain and/or rise, you have to sweep Gonzaga and BYU, and not lose to the Pepperdine's of CBB. That's not happening. Especially, if our two young guards get over their mental stuff. If Silas and BA somehow get with the picture, you're getting swept by the Zags.

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Northern Arizona
Mount St. Mary's
St. Martin's

How do you like your cupcakes?
Quit being so sanctimonious.
SMC played a crappy non conference schedule. It's NOT everything. Maybe use BYU as a yardstick? Oh wait, maybe not.

But then I would see your BYU and raise you a Pepperdine. We could do this for days.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2016, 11:17 AM
A critique a player's performance is not an attack. To a fan with less desire to discuss basketball from certain perspectives, I can see how they might be seen as attacks, but they are not. And I think seeing them as "attacks" is unhealthy. I would be worried about how those people take real, constructive criticisms in various parts of their personal lives, outside of this board.

Furthermore, said critique's don't correlate to how I see them playing against SMC. SMC has been given far too much credit. I am more concerned about BYU (if we don't play our game), but that concern is minimal. It has been proposed, but those proposals have been from a fear-based and/or uninformed perspective.

Saying a kid doesn't belong here (saying they should transfer)... that will always be considered an attack. That doesn't qualify as constructive.

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 11:29 AM
But then I would see your BYU and raise you a Pepperdine. We could do this for days.

You're the one saying that SMC is over rated and not worthy. I simply point out that "perhaps" you might not know everything.
Oh, and thanks for the analytical clarifications about the different ratings. Didn't learn that at my school house.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2016, 11:32 AM
I think the kids will decide it on the hardwood.....looking forward to a great game Thursday

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd like to see a visit by the Fire Marshall and a reputable HVAC contractor. That sweat box is woefully ventilated, especially when they ignore the capacity restrictions. . .

:jk:

As always, it will be a great match-up.

1) no truth to the rumor that the Fire Marshall is a grad.
2) Reno, I hope it's a great game too.

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Saying a kid doesn't belong here (saying they should transfer)... that will always be considered an attack. That doesn't qualify as constructive.

That's not an attack. We will always disagree on that. We determine that kids don't belong here during recruiting. As well, as I have said before, the team, the program...it's bigger than one player. Than one person. A scholarship is not a right. It is a privilege that was earned and must continue to be earned. And I accompany my statements with statistics, analysis, and reason. You may not like that, but again, as I have said before...you really don't like basketball, then. You like the idea of being a fan, and being insulated against certain things.

You ever seen someone get cut from a team? That's because the coaches determined that the player wasn't good enough, anymore. I have seen people on here say that if a player represented a school in certain negative lights, that they should be removed. Didn't seem to be a uproar then.

Now, would I tell a kid he sucked. No. I have seen what that can do to a kid, mentally. But I think there is a difference between a message board and what a coach would speak. This whole "only say what you would say to a person's face" only goes so far.

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 11:43 AM
You're the one saying that SMC is over rated and not worthy. I simply point out that "perhaps" you might not know everything.
Oh, and thanks for the analytical clarifications about the different ratings. Didn't learn that at my high school.

So, you tried to prove me wrong with something that was easily negated?

You're on a Zags message board with people who, for good reason, don't have a lot of respect for what the Dons have done this year. Are you that surprised? If BYU had done the same thing, I would be saying the same thing about BYU.

Do you think that you are going to sweep BYU and Gonzaga? Because if not, those rankings you listed are going to give you a hefty drop. And that's with just those two losses. I think it is totally fair to see a team that has played most of its games at home, and the rest in CA, with an SOS of 197 and think "hey, they really haven't shown enough, yet."

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 11:54 AM
I think the kids will decide it on the hardwood.....looking forward to a great game Thursday

+1

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
So, you tried to prove me wrong with something that was easily negated?

You're on a Zags message board with people who, for good reason, don't have a lot of respect for what the Dons have done this year. Are you that surprised? If BYU had done the same thing, I would be saying the same thing about BYU.

Do you think that you are going to sweep BYU and Gonzaga? Because if not, those rankings you listed are going to give you a hefty drop. And that's with just those two losses. I think it is totally fair to see a team that has played most of its games at home, and the rest in CA, with an SOS of 197 and think "hey, they really haven't shown enough, yet."

I feel so honored to have been able to communicate with you. Now I know what Einsteins pen pal must have felt like.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2016, 12:00 PM
That's not an attack. We will always disagree on that. We determine that kids don't belong here during recruiting. As well, as I have said before, the team, the program...it's bigger than one player. Than one person. A scholarship is not a right. It is a privilege that was earned and must continue to be earned. And I accompany my statements with statistics, analysis, and reason. You may not like that, but again, as I have said before...you really don't like basketball, then. You like the idea of being a fan, and being insulated against certain things.

You ever seen someone get cut from a team? That's because the coaches determined that the player wasn't good enough, anymore. I have seen people on here say that if a player represented a school in certain negative lights, that they should be removed. Didn't seem to be a uproar then.

Now, would I tell a kid he sucked. No. I have seen what that can do to a kid, mentally. But I think there is a difference between a message board and what a coach would speak. This whole "only say what you would say to a person's face" only goes so far.

Yet saying to a kid you aren't good enough to be here somehow not telling a kid he sucks? Where is the constructive criticism? There isn't, you are telling them aren't good... that is it.

I have spent the last 1/3rd of my life coaching kids. Here is constructive: You have a tendency to do X wrong try doing Y instead. Not constructive: You aren't good... go to a lesser team.

maynard g krebs
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
the AP is not the same as Kenpom, Saragin, RPI or otherwise. I am not so sure you understand how most of those function?

Nevada Don has been nothing but a good guest. Your arrogance and dismissiveness are getting really annoying. I am fairly certain that Don understands the difference between polls and statistical metrics. Citing both in defense of his team does not imply that he doesn't understand the difference.

bigblahla
01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm as big a homer as anyone here and all I want is for Domas not to fall for the bait cause if he sits for silly fouls, and they will purposely be coming at him, it will be a long night for GUNation....SMC is and has been playing better as a TEAM than the Zags....the gym will be packed...all ready for retribution...it's David facing a wounded Giant.... and as usual needing a win over the Zags to ease their road to the Dance...this game will be decided by the minutes Domas plays...our back court has to perform but without Domas on the floor it will get ugly....now if the Zag back court shows up and all play to their potential...that could be a different story....SMC has quality guard play but if all Zag guards were on their game I think we could out small ball them...bottom line ...I'll take a win...

Donnie you got a good TEAM....we should be able to stop you at home if we play 40 minutes of focused ball....should be a great game....

Go!! Zags!!!

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 12:42 PM
maynard g and bigblahla (and so many others here),

You guys are class acts. Thanks for letting me stop by.

DixieZag
01-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Just a quick point of order.

When I said "the assumption that this might be the year BYU/SMC leapfrog. . . " I was not speaking of any assumptions, good/bad on our part, certainly not the team's part. I am saying that from their standpoint, they have to feel, "if there's ever a year that we kneecap the Zags, this is it."

So, I was referring to pressure SMC or BYU might feel on themselves as we walk into the gym. It's not so much an "opportunity" as it is a "job" this time.

Zagceo
01-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Nevada Don has been nothing but a good guest. Your arrogance and dismissiveness are getting really annoying. I am fairly certain that Don understands the difference between polls and statistical metrics. Citing both in defense of his team does not imply that he doesn't understand the difference.

Ignore setting is your friend.

DixieZag
01-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Don't go after Don. Zag on Zag crimes won't be tolerated.

Don's a Zag. He's just so deep undercover even he doesn't know it.

Zagceo
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM

I did not mention Don.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
maynard g and bigblahla (and so many others here),

You guys are class acts. Thanks for letting me stop by.

I'm glad you partake of this board Nevada Don and look forward to hearing more from you. This game Thursday will teach us a lot about both teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAZC65CwTEA

Zagceo
01-18-2016, 01:36 PM

I appreciate your analysis.

More people more ideas and more debate.

maynard g krebs
01-18-2016, 01:38 PM

Don't want to ignore coach; he has a lot of interesting and insightful things to say. Just suggesting he work on his delivery a bit. Constructive criticism being his thing and all.

I don't mind a snarky response to a flamer or idiot; I've made more than one myself. But Don is as far from either of those as you can get; respectful people deserve the same in return.

ProjectMKUltra5
01-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Yet saying to a kid you aren't good enough to be here somehow not telling a kid he sucks? Where is the constructive criticism? There isn't, you are telling them aren't good... that is it.

I have spent the last 1/3rd of my life coaching kids. Here is constructive: You have a tendency to do X wrong try doing Y instead. Not constructive: You aren't good... go to a lesser team.

It's comical watching you throw a conniption fit over this considering your history of attacks in the OCC. You guys seem to think you can attack anybody except Gonzaga ball players

Nevada Don
01-18-2016, 01:46 PM

Now Nevada Don is even more confused. Is there a special closet for WCC affiliations?

Zagceo
01-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Don't want to ignore him; he has a lot of interesting things to say. Just suggesting he work on his delivery a bit. Constructive criticism being his thing and all.

I don't mind a snarky response to a flamer or idiot; I've made more than one myself. But Don is as far from either of those as you can get; respectful people deserve the same in return.

I hear ya ………but I didn't read coach's response as snarky and thought the dialogue was fine. Don was challenged and responded coach asked if he knew how stats correlated to rankings……..I didn't read it as disrespectful.

DixieZag
01-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Now Nevada Don is even more confused. Is there a special closet for WCC affiliations?

Nah, just a screw up in I.A. - they accidentally burned your file.

Sometimes I think Jason Bourne had it easier.

Zags11
01-18-2016, 01:57 PM
What is going on?

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Just a quick point of order.

When I said "the assumption that this might be the year BYU/SMC leapfrog. . . " I was not speaking of any assumptions, good/bad on our part, certainly not the team's part. I am saying that from their standpoint, they have to feel, "if there's ever a year that we kneecap the Zags, this is it."

So, I was referring to pressure SMC or BYU might feel on themselves as we walk into the gym. It's not so much an "opportunity" as it is a "job" this time.

My bad. Thank you for clarifying.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-18-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm assuming it's still okay to answer the OP's question in this thread, I just want to see a win with no injuries

Coach Crazy
01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
I hear ya ………but I didn't read coach's response as snarky and thought the dialogue was fine. Don was challenged and responded coach asked if he knew how stats correlated to rankings……..I didn't read it as disrespectful.

Yeah, I really don't understand what is going on. Are we not point/counter point in here? I mean, is it all of the sudden wrong to say "You haven't really played anybody. Since when do you deserve respect for what you've done so far?" It's because some people have developed a bias towards my input and style. And that means more to them than the accuracy or relevance of my posts. And this whole "don't attack people" thing, well...if I was *actually* attacking someone in a way that was unacceptable, I would have been banned already. It's probably to do with the demographic, older white guys who have lived a certain way and don't take well to change or difference, and see this board as a place to live the black and white tv a little more. I get that. But if you don't like the way I talk, or what I say, then please ban me.

I have actually brought a ton of really good analysis and perspective, and very few (I enjoy the posts of Zagceo, Ultra, plus some others) seem to have the same desire. If I were to leave, there would definitely be a relief for a lot of the posters here, but it would be one less voice pulling people away from the Doogie Howser/Rose Colored PC environment that tends to rear its ugly head.

I've also probably called myself out more than others on this board. Which I honestly don't see many others doing, either. Could I have taken a bit of a different approach? Yes. Do I apologize for the actual points made concerning SMC? No. My points stand and they were not rebutted effectively. Also, please read Don's original post to me. It was drippingly condescending and dismissive...and I wasn't even addressing him to begin with. He got butt-hurt that I didn't give his boys respect.

So yes, I responded because among other things, he did not demonstrate that he understands how those work. Both through that, and expecting that to be his trump card. If I am not allowed to call someone out on that, then I don't know what we are doing here. If people would like to see me use a different approach, then that needs to be a genuine request. Which means, when I use that approach, and still prove something wrong, you don't get to run back to the "he's being mean" card.

If anything, I have been one of the few people asking for more perspective, more in-depth understanding, and less emotional volatility to the events of this season. You don't have to like me. You don't have to acknowledge the points I make because of that bias. But you are solely responsible for that. Not me. I cannot please everyone. I have to be true to my convictions.

willandi
01-18-2016, 02:46 PM
You ever seen someone get cut from a team?

I haven't played D1 anything, and in HS I was cut. But in HS it was tryouts, they didn't offer me a scholarship to come play and then cut me.
If it hasn't taken place yet, it is going to, that scholarships cover the duration of your college eligibility, assuming you remain academically qualified and aren't removed for behavoral/moral reasons (not sure how that is going to work either). I'm not sure how that is going to work with athletics, if a young person is asked to leave the team, will that scholarship still count as 1 of the allowed, or will it become a general academic schollie? I would expect the latter because the big schools could be hurt by having to give up a schollie for a player no longer on the team.

DixieZag
01-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I really don't understand what is going on. Are we not point/counter point in here? I mean, is it all of the sudden wrong to say "You haven't really played anybody. Since when do you deserve respect for what you've done so far?" It's because some people have developed a bias towards my input and style. And that means more to them than the accuracy or relevance of my posts. And this whole "don't attack people" thing, well...if I was *actually* attacking someone in a way that was unacceptable, I would have been banned already. It's probably to do with the demographic, older white guys who have lived a certain way and don't take well to change or difference, and see this board as a place to live the black and white tv a little more. I get that. But if you don't like the way I talk, or what I say, then please ban me.

I have actually brought a ton of really good analysis and perspective, and very few (I enjoy the posts of Zagceo, Ultra, plus some others) seem to have the same desire. If I were to leave, there would definitely be a relief for a lot of the posters here, but it would be one less voice pulling people away from the Doogie Howser/Rose Colored PC environment that tends to rear its ugly head.

I've also probably called myself out more than others on this board. Which I honestly don't see many others doing, either. Could I have taken a bit of a different approach? Yes. Do I apologize for the actual points made concerning SMC? No. My points stand and they were not rebutted effectively. Also, please read Don's original post to me. It was drippingly condescending and dismissive...and I wasn't even addressing him to begin with. He got butt-hurt that I didn't give his boys respect.

So yes, I responded because among other things, he did not demonstrate that he understands how those work. Both through that, and expecting that to be his trump card. If I am not allowed to call someone out on that, then I don't know what we are doing here. If people would like to see me use a different approach, then that needs to be a genuine request. Which means, when I use that approach, and still prove something wrong, you don't get to run back to the "he's being mean" card.

If anything, I have been one of the few people asking for more perspective, more in-depth understanding, and less emotional volatility to the events of this season. You don't have to like me. You don't have to acknowledge the points I make because of that bias. But you are solely responsible for that. Not me. I cannot please everyone. I have to be true to my convictions.

I read everything you write. Keep it up.

bartruff1
01-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I doubt Gonzaga can win at St Mary's.

Very tough to win on the road against a good team and the Gaels are a good team.

A win would be a very big deal in the Conference race.

john montana
01-18-2016, 06:15 PM
I have no issue with you coach crazy. Nevada don has always been a respectful poster as well, and I was surprised to see him come in hot for you basically saying "smc hasn't played anyone yet." They haven't played anyone...but that doesn't mean they won't beat us Thursday. Very good team that I usually enjoy watching...as long as they aren't playing us. I think we wil have our hands full Thursday, and unless Melson/Alberts/kd hit some shots we could be in trouble. I hope I am wrong...just not convinced Alberts and Melson are ready to contribute on the road in a big time game.

I want to see those guys prove me wrong.

ProVeeZag
01-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks for mentioning the "ignore" setting ... will come in handy.

Outraged
01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
I appreciate the thoughts and analysis both of you provide. I thought the "crotch" reference was a little much. I am surprised you two are bantering in a maliciously politically correct manner and that you can sweep it under the rug and contribute for another day.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm assuming it's still okay to answer the OP's question in this thread, I just want to see a win with no injuries

How dare you sir. :)

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
It's comical watching you throw a conniption fit over this considering your history of attacks in the OCC. You guys seem to think you can attack anybody except Gonzaga ball players

You have a pretty loose definition.

Zags11
01-18-2016, 10:22 PM
2 stars? Lol.

Zagceo
01-19-2016, 06:36 AM
I hope I am wrong...just not convinced Alberts and Melson are ready to contribute on the road in a big time game.

I want to see those guys prove me wrong.

Just a reminder........Melson has stepped up before in tough environment. Win in Malibu last year. With out his contributions we lose IMO. Lets hope he contributes in another big road victory in Moraga.

Reborn
01-19-2016, 07:06 AM
I believe we need to see four things in order for Gonzaga to beat St. Mary's. The first is that we need to see a burning FIRE inside our Zags like we've never seen before. At times, imo, the Zags have lacked that kind of fire. We need to be the ones on the attack. We need to be the ones who get the loose balls. We need to be hittin the floor.

Second, I believe that the Zags need to hit 8 threes or more, and either Melson, or Dranginis need to make two of them. And if either Wiltjer or Perkins make 3 threes, the Zag will win.

Third, Sabonis needs to score at or above his average.

Fourth, The Zags will need to hold SMC 10 or fewer threes.

I am glad St. Mary's will be favored. And they should be. They will be very very hard to beat. To hold them to ten or fewer three pointers is going to be tough but they must do it. Defense wins this game.

Go Zags!!!

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2016, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I really don't understand what is going on. Are we not point/counter point in here? I mean, is it all of the sudden wrong to say "You haven't really played anybody. Since when do you deserve respect for what you've done so far?" It's because some people have developed a bias towards my input and style. And that means more to them than the accuracy or relevance of my posts. And this whole "don't attack people" thing, well...if I was *actually* attacking someone in a way that was unacceptable, I would have been banned already. It's probably to do with the demographic, older white guys who have lived a certain way and don't take well to change or difference, and see this board as a place to live the black and white tv a little more. I get that. But if you don't like the way I talk, or what I say, then please ban me. I have actually brought a ton of really good analysis and perspective, and very few (I enjoy the posts of Zagceo, Ultra, plus some others) seem to have the same desire. If I were to leave, there would definitely be a relief for a lot of the posters here, but it would be one less voice pulling people away from the Doogie Howser/Rose Colored PC environment that tends to rear its ugly head. I've also probably called myself out more than others on this board. Which I honestly don't see many others doing, either. Could I have taken a bit of a different approach? Yes. Do I apologize for the actual points made concerning SMC? No. My points stand and they were not rebutted effectively. Also, please read Don's original post to me. It was drippingly condescending and dismissive...and I wasn't even addressing him to begin with. He got butt-hurt that I didn't give his boys respect. So yes, I responded because among other things, he did not demonstrate that he understands how those work. Both through that, and expecting that to be his trump card. If I am not allowed to call someone out on that, then I don't know what we are doing here. If people would like to see me use a different approach, then that needs to be a genuine request. Which means, when I use that approach, and still prove something wrong, you don't get to run back to the "he's being mean" card.

i'm not exactly a fan of your style, but i have no problem with your input...what i don't understand is that you know your style bothers some people yet you feel the need to go back and forth with these people...why not just ignore them and save everyone the headache?

as far as the topic at hand...i rarely expect the zags to beat smc at their place...considering how the zags have performed on the road so far, i have no reason to expect them to win this upcoming game despite the unimpressive sos of the gaels.

Ezag
01-19-2016, 07:57 AM
i'm not exactly a fan of your style, but i have no problem with your input...what i don't understand is that you know your style bothers some people yet you feel the need to go back and forth with these people...why not just ignore them and save everyone the headache?

as far as the topic at hand...i rarely expect the zags to beat smc at their place...considering how the zags have performed on the road so far, i have no reason to expect them to win this upcoming game despite the unimpressive sos of the gaels.

+1

Zaga
01-19-2016, 07:59 AM

+1

ProVeeZag
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Classic analysis of "cause" vs. "effect". Cause=Zags have big lead late in game. Effect=Beach plays and possibly scores. Flawed Conclusion=Beach is the key to this game!

Go Beach! Go Zags!

maynard g krebs
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM

I missed the "Crotch Crazy" when I read Don's post, and might have responded differently if I had. That was over the top and out of line. But your description as "drippingly condescending and dismissive" looks to me to be projection, as that's what I get from your posts over and over.

"Older white guys who have lived a certain way?" What way is that? I'm guessing that in my case, at least, the presumed stereotype would be quite the opposite of reality.

The problem is not anybody else's age or demographic, it's your communication style. You don't do anything remotely ban-worthy. But I, for one, see you as obnoxious, i.e. "condescending and dismissive" to use your words. We usually earn the responses we get, and are free to choose whether to take them to heart and consider their validity, or to defend ourselves and dismiss the thoughts of others.

kitzbuel
01-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Go Zags! Beat the Marys!

I really don't like SMC this week and I don't like anyone who does like SMC this week. My hope is that they are all bitterly disappointed Friday morning.

After that, I will go back to liking them again.

sage
01-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Go Zags! Beat the Marys!

I really don't like SMC this week and I don't like anyone who does like SMC this week. My hope is that they are all bitterly disappointed Friday morning.

+2 or 3 on that !!

Zagceo
01-19-2016, 05:35 PM
"Older white guys who have lived a certain way?" What way is that? I'm guessing that in my case, at least, the presumed stereotype would be quite the opposite of reality.

My guess would be music, movies, social media.

If you listen to Eminem Dre Tupac 50cent Jay-Z the world may sound a certain way….different.

I'm in the demo he's referring to and laughed out loud when I read that line. I thought it was funny.

NotoriousZ
01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
I'd like to see Perkins staying aggreissive. When he's rolling, so are the Zags.

Kiddwell
01-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Kiddwell would like to see SMC build a 5,000 to 6,000 seat venue and turn their gym into a practice facility. O, wait, Thursday's game--how about all our guards (plus Wiltjer) knocking down a gaggle of treys.

:]

<Pepperdine needs to hurry up and build their already-designed venue too. Two new big & shiny facilities would be HUGE for the WCC.>

Nevada Don
01-19-2016, 07:19 PM
I missed the "Crotch Crazy" when I read Don's post, and might have responded differently if I had. That was over the top and out of line. But your description as "drippingly condescending and dismissive" looks to me to be projection, as that's what I get from your posts over and over.

The problem is not anybody else's age or demographic, it's your communication style. You don't do anything remotely ban-worthy. But I, for one, see you as obnoxious, i.e. "condescending and dismissive" to use your words. We usually earn the responses we get, and are free to choose whether to take them to heart and consider their validity, or to defend ourselves and dismiss the thoughts of others.

I want to apologize to Coach Crazy and to the GUBoard for the use of the term "Crotch Crazy". It was meant to be a humorous play on words but it obviously was offensive.

I've screwed up, to be so much a part of the discussion on this thread. My only intention is to provide a somewhat factual portrayal of Saint Mary's through my eyes and I do feel the need to stand up for the Gaels when I feel the criticism is unfounded or factually incorrect. Obviously many of us aren't 100% objective despite our best intentions and that includes me.

I have put Coach Crazy on "ignore" at least for now because I see no benefit to the board for two people with apparent such divergent views to attempt to try to change each other "opinions". If that is CS of me, you can add that to the list.

I love Saint Mary's and have been a part of it for 50 years. I genuinely like Gonzaga, its basketball program and most of you people here. You have been so respectful of me generally speaking and I was comfortable here with you.

I am going to take a break until at least after the game. You know who I want to win this game but I sincerely have clouded emotions knowing how dedicated all of you are to your team, feeling the same about them as I do about mine.

As some young kids with a certain accent on our team occasionally say, "no worries mate".

MDABE80
01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Don, you shouldn't to apologize for anything you've opined here. You shouldn't last year either. We've got some new additions. The threshold for ### stirring and some unkind, inaccurate comments is less than prior seasons. Of course, having a so- so season has lowered the threshold for both new additions to pop off............ and some of the long term posters to take things the wrong way or just get angry over normal comments.
Chips on shoulders come out and dialogue strays from normal basketball topics. You must grow up in life before you grow up on a basketball message/discussion board. Never so obvious as this year in particular.

TravelinZag
01-20-2016, 12:54 PM
SMC has had success, first and foremost, because they play as a team. That is a Zag signature, but it been the case this year only some of the time, and never for an entire game against a quality opponent. Granted, they have been forced to reinvent themselves during the season. However, the Zags, though without great depth, have the talent to walk through the conference slate. Some players lack the self-confidence and/or belief the team can succeed. Others seem to lack the "heart", the determination to play complete games, and to refuse to lose rather than looking lost and panic-struck while they surrender leads. I don't know the cause or the cure. The coaches can do so much, but in the end, it is the players who must find the confidence, heart, will to win and trust in themselves and each other. This year, the "chemistry" is flawed. Curing that is simply a matter of attitude and work. I understand they are a mixture of kids and young men; so are their opponents. Often, the winners are those teams who want it most. I hope this talented group finds that; the success that results will be a justifiable pride in what they have achieved.

Each game is now a "must." Every player need not have his personal best game every night; just enough of them any night to win, and win, and win. They time may come when they will face a more talented team. It hasn't happened yet. They should never be the team which doesn't want to win more than their opponent.

Go Zags! Make yourselves proud!

ProjectMKUltra5
01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Don, you shouldn't to apologize for anything you've opined here. You shouldn't last year either. We've got some new additions. The threshold for ### stirring and some unkind, inaccurate comments is less than prior seasons. Of course, having a so- so season has lowered the threshold for both new additions to pop off............ and some of the long term posters to take things the wrong way or just get angry over normal comments.
Chips on shoulders come out and dialogue strays from normal basketball topics. You must grow up in life before you grow up on a basketball message/discussion board. Never so obvious as this year in particular.

https://media.giphy.com/media/liUBWvASzqP0k/giphy.gif

Ezag
01-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I look forward to this game x2 or x3 every year because I know it's going to be a good one and because it means something more than most of the other WCC games. That being said, it's gonna flare up some people with opinions, speculations and more opinion. There is a certain doubt about this team this year that has made these opinions much more pointed and direct, offensive, defensive and more.....

Zagger
01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Classic analysis of "cause" vs. "effect". Cause=Zags have big lead late in game. Effect=Beach plays and possibly scores. Flawed Conclusion=Beach is the key to this game!

Go Beach! Go Zags!

I likey :)

ZagsGoZags
01-20-2016, 05:17 PM

arrested for stealing and eating from the Gael's Hall of Fame display case, the retired mouthguards from Delly and Waldow

kyle dixon
01-20-2016, 05:29 PM
I just want to beat the Gaels. Sure, they have some kind folks, but their fan base is caught up in Omar era. Then a couple of their brass refer to Spokane as "spokanistan"? Egos. Stupid. They win their super bowl tomorrow and then they have to roll the dice in Vegas for an NCAA tourney bid. Make them 0-10 or whatever tomorrow.

DixieZag
01-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Was it just last year that we came back from 53 points in the last 3:13?

That kind of hurts. I can see some pain lingering.

I don't think we should do that to them this year. I think we should just jump out to a nice comfortable lead, and hold it.*

*We have not done that this year in a big game, so, not all that likely. Still would be better for all concerned.

RenoZag
01-20-2016, 06:46 PM
I look forward to this game x2 or x3 every year because I know it's going to be a good one and because it means something more than most of the other WCC games. That being said, it's gonna flare up some people with opinions, speculations and more opinion. There is a certain doubt about this team this year that has made these opinions much more pointed and direct, offensive, defensive and more.....

Well-said. They usually are nail-biters and great examples of rivalry games. The players, the fans, the media. . . everyone turns it 'up a notch.'

Nevada Don
01-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Go Zags! Beat the Marys!

I can't resist a comment.
Love this post.

Outraged
01-20-2016, 08:31 PM
I want to see them cry. I want to see 10 blocks by edwards. Sabonis break out with 20 rebounds. A broken backboard on a mclellan dunk. 50 pioints made by the guards on the free throw line and their coach ejected. I am mad and it's time we let the dogs out.

Lewey
01-20-2016, 09:04 PM
I want to see them cry. I want to see 10 blocks by edwards. Sabonis break out with 20 rebounds. A broken backboard on a mclellan dunk. 50 pioints made by the guards on the free throw line and their coach ejected. I am mad and it's time we let the dogs out.

Everything BUT the broken backboard. Starting at 8:00, by the time they clean up, bring in a replacement, and get the game going again, it's going to be WAY past my bedtime. I was at the Arena when "Tiny" broke the backboard on New Years Eve. Made for a long game.

ProVeeZag
01-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Everything BUT the broken backboard. Starting at 8:00, by the time they clean up, bring in a replacement, and get the game going again, it's going to be WAY past my bedtime. I was at the Arena when "Tiny" broke the backboard on New Years Eve. Made for a long game.

I'll even accept the broken backboard if it happens as time runs out in regulation ... on a throwdown by EMAC to push the final margin from 8 pts to 10 pts.

Zagceo
01-21-2016, 08:17 AM
More of this please

SMC played Gonzaga 8 times in the last three seasons. Our record is 0-8, the average score is 73 to 56. On 2 occasions they held us under 50 points. We scored more than 60 one time.

I never expect us to beat Gonzaga. I mainly hope we avoid the embarrassments that have been the standard outcome in recent years.

23dpg
01-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Interesting preview about the game on ESPN. Here is the actual players to watch section.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
Dustin Triano
GONZ - G
1.5 PPG, 0.5 RPG, 0.6 APG
Franklin Porter
SMC - G
2.0 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.1 APG

Maybe they know something that no one else does?

bballbeachbum
01-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see moving screens and fouls while screening called as moving screens and fouls while screening. I do not expect that however, so Zags need to buckle up and play through the inevitable grabbing and feet sliding while SMC screens. if they struggle with that, perhaps doubling the dribbler off the screen to control it but that leads to open 3 point shooters and missed assignments on the d glass

Zagger
01-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Interesting preview about the game on ESPN. Here is the actual players to watch section.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
Dustin Triano
GONZ - G
1.5 PPG, 0.5 RPG, 0.6 APG
Franklin Porter
SMC - G
2.0 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.1 APG

Maybe they know something that no one else does?

They must be reading my posts! ;)

Triano, Bakamus and Beach all on the scoreboard

Bogozags
01-21-2016, 01:10 PM
I'd like to see moving screens and fouls while screening called as moving screens and fouls while screening. I do not expect that however, so Zags need to buckle up and play through the inevitable grabbing and feet sliding while SMC screens. if they struggle with that, perhaps doubling the dribbler off the screen to control it but that leads to open 3 point shooters and missed assignments on the d glass

Defend the dribbler on the pick & role...that guard has killed us since the Duke game...stop that penetration and IMO you prevent SMC from scoring inside...not too worried about our 3pt defence as it has been pretty darn good this season...

Defend the dribbler gives us the best opportunity to win this game...sure there are other concerns the staff has but I bet that is #1...it is an SMC Trademark and if I'm not mistaken, it was patented...

DixieZag
01-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Defend the dribbler on the pick & role...that guard has killed us since the Duke game...stop that penetration and IMO you prevent SMC from scoring inside...not too worried about our 3pt defence as it has been pretty darn good this season...

Defend the dribbler gives us the best opportunity to win this game...sure there are other concerns the staff has but I bet that is #1...it is an SMC Trademark and if I'm not mistaken, it was patented...

Think we start in a zone?

Anyone?

We have to avoid foul trouble, at all costs.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2016, 03:44 PM

hey bogo, agree, but without sending help which opens up the three point shooters. imo, 3 point D has been better because Few has not been sending weakside help, a relative new wrinkle to the Zag defensive repertoire to my memory. Few and co. seem to want to force the dribble drive without allowing the driver to dish...or at least not like has been experienced before. Live with the 2 point baskets and make them as tough as possible, limit 3 point attempts, control the defensive glass, avoid fouls inside when protecting the rim.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Think we start in a zone?

Anyone?

We have to avoid foul trouble, at all costs.

that would be surprising and I doubt it. But Few has already done it once this year, at USF after that SCU game in which both KW and Domas played all those minutes and each picked up a knock

MJGoGaels
01-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Here's to another Classic, Hondo! All the best. MJ '87
We're not here for a long time just here for a good time!