• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Wiltjer & Sabonis in the Spokesman-Review

Anyone post this yet?
    Kyle Wiltjer lobbied to do post-practice interviews Tuesday with Gonzaga frontcourt sidekick Domantas Sabonis as a package deal. Wiltjer even buried a 30-foot shot in hopes of changing the minds of television interviewers.

Pair of aces leaves Gonzaga Bulldogs feeling flush
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Good piece. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• DADoZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
      Good piece. Thanks for posting!
      +1

“We’re just in desperate need of a (nick)name,” Wiltjer cracked. “I haven’t thought of any. They’re all inappropriate so I can’t share them.”
      Thunderbolt and Lightfoot? Tenderfoot? Ha!

Go ZAGS!
      Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I'm thinking that if Kyle maintains above 20 ppg with 8 boards, he's an AA. Domas, certainly. He's taking over. Big strong kid.

Let's win some games!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Very cool young men. Lots to be proud of. Take a bow, GU staff.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
            +1

Go ZAGS!

Scylla and charybdis?

Comment

• NumberCruncher
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
              +1

Go ZAGS!
              Scooby & Scrappy

Comment

• zagar
                Bulldog Fan
                • Feb 2007

The pair average 40.4 points per game. That’s the highest duo since Morrison/J.P. Batista combined for 47.4 in 2006. Other high-scoring tandems since GU’s first NCAA tournament appearance in 1995: Casey Calvary/Dan Dickau 37.9 in 2001, Bakari Hendrix/Matt Santangelo 36.1 in 1998 and Morrison/Ronny Turiaf 34.9 in 2005.
                I could be wrong, but off-hand I think the Zag teams in each of these years either didn't make the NCAA tournament or underperformed based on what their seed would predict. If true it would suggest that a team that depends too heavily on a duo is not built for a win-or-go home tournament success.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by zagar View Post
                  I could be wrong, but off-hand I think the Zag teams in each of these years either didn't make the NCAA tournament or underperformed based on what their seed would predict. If true it would suggest that a team that depends too heavily on a duo is not built for a win-or-go home tournament success.
                  You are. Calvary/Dickau team was a 12 seed that went to the sweet 16 before being knocked off by 1 seed Mich State. Morrison/Batista played to seed as a 3, losing in sweet 16 to 2 seed UCLA. And we know how that should have turned out.
                  Morrison/Turiaf lost as a 3 to 6 Texas Tech/Bob Knight in 2nd round. So collectively those three outperformed their seed by one game, w/ 2 sweet 16's, and we know how often those come around. And '98 was before the run.

So actually, the opposite seems to be true.

Comment

• zagar
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                    You are. Calvary/Dickau team was a 12 seed that went to the sweet 16 before being knocked off by 1 seed Mich State. Morrison/Batista played to seed as a 3, losing in sweet 16 to 2 seed UCLA. And we know how that should have turned out.
                    Morrison/Turiaf lost as a 3 to 6 Texas Tech/Bob Knight in 2nd round. So collectively those three outperformed their seed by one game, w/ 2 sweet 16's, and we know how often those come around. And '98 was before the run.

So actually, the opposite seems to be true.
                    Which I guess is why I should never post while in the middle of a work marathon. Thanks for setting me straight, maynard.

Comment

• Zagnificent
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                      Anyone post this yet?
                      Kyle Wiltjer lobbied to do post-practice interviews Tuesday with Gonzaga frontcourt sidekick Domantas Sabonis as a package deal. Wiltjer even buried a 30-foot shot in hopes of changing the minds of television interviewers.

Pair of aces leaves Gonzaga Bulldogs feeling flush
                      I hate the title "Pair of aces leaves Gonzaga..." I nearly had a heart attack.
                      GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by zagar View Post
                        Which I guess is why I should never post while in the middle of a work marathon. Thanks for setting me straight, maynard.
                        That Virginia game is one of my all time favorite memories. Va fans talking about how they were gonna open up a can of whupass and such. Dickau goes off for 20+ in the first half for a big lead, Va comes storming back, and Calvary wins it with his second tourney last-possession tipin.

Comment

Working...
                        X