PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-12-2016, 08:42 AM
All of BYU's losses have been on the Road and this will be another one. The students are back in school and the Kennel is going to be ON FIRE!!! The Zags are going to be on fire too (from behind the arc).

Don't miss this game. It's going to be a fun one. Gu by twelve.

GU 84
BYU 69

They Zags show that they are improving, and in this game at home, they will look like they have improved a lot.
I'm predicting 10+ shooting from behind the 3 pt line.
Sabonis and Wiltjer only average 50 this time, so the guards make up the difference.
GU Boards will feel more positive once again.

bartruff1
01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
BYU is fun to watch, they run and gun and if they are hitting from the outside, they could beat nearly any team...but...

They are a terrible defensive team and although Rose has said that they will fix that....that remains to be seen...

Often defense wins games and starts your transition offense and Gonzaga should win easy....BUT they have to regain their 3 point defense....no lead is safe with enough time available against them..... I think they hold the record in the Tourney for making a comeback from being 40 points behind to win.

Like was said elsewhere , I am less impressed with Collingsworth this year. I don't think he can beat Gonzaga, but those 3 point shooters might.

Zag 77
01-12-2016, 09:16 AM
...and guard your nuts. :lmao:

MTZag03
01-12-2016, 09:54 AM
How will wearing flak jackets affect our players quickness and athleticism?

Jokes aside, I'm really hoping to see good fast break decisions to avoid stupid turnovers gifting BYU two points. Hate when the guards drive when outnumbered and give up a fast break the other way. Still I think GU wind by 10. Never a comfortable game until a minute to go.

Reborn
01-12-2016, 10:35 AM
here is why Gonzaga will win

We ARE The Zags.....And that means a lot, and when it comes to playing in K2 Thursday, they will not let Zag fans down. GU has a fire that BYU doesn't have.

BULLDOG#1
01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
GU defense will decide this game. If Emery and Fischer get going, then they will be tough.

bartruff1
01-12-2016, 10:49 AM
GU defense will decide this game. If Emery and Fischer get going, then they will be tough.

In a nutshell.....

sittingon50
01-12-2016, 10:58 AM
...and guard your nuts. :lmao:

Maybe Casey would like to suit up.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Sabonis' dominance and KW's offensive masterpieces are the meat & potatoes Zags rely upon to succeed, but BYU's uptempo style will definitely wear our bigs down if they both play 35+ minutes. Controlling the pace is a big factor in this game.

Perkins is turning the corner and showing signs of becoming the 3rd star, as long as he continues trending upward I like Zags chances. If one of Melson/McClellan/Alberts can become a dependable double-digit scorer Zags can evolve from solid to special this season.

KD is what he is, a jack-of-all-trades guy who will make key plays (and one bad inbounds pass per game) for this team, but I am not looking for him to become that third double-digit scorer this team needs. As long as Perkins can continue protecting the ball and making big shots when needed, he does not necessarily need to be that 3rd double-digit scorer....but he's welcome to it :-)

Outraged
01-12-2016, 08:41 PM
This will be the game where the supporting cast will make their presence known. Gonzaga 2.0 will begin.

Kiddwell
01-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Tickled Pink, a poem
<ahem>
Zags in red,
Cougars are blued,
Came to Spokane,
Got mashed up 'n' chewed.

-------
Zags - 88
Cougs - 79

:]

DixieZag
01-12-2016, 11:47 PM

Last year, I recall BYU getting so many easy baskets by throwing it into the post, a pick is set on the guard's man,, who then breaks straight to the rim with a very short pass from the center, my word they made that play look so easy and got so many points off it, just amazing.

Yes, I agree.

Zagger
01-13-2016, 04:24 AM
Zags 90 - BYU 70 - Students LOUD
Zags with more 3s than BYU
A number of spiffy Zag dunks - and they go in for McClellan :)
Good play by both Melson & Edwards off the bench
Go Zags!

jbslicer
01-13-2016, 06:06 AM
There will be a couple of Kennel Club members wearing white shirts with ties and bicycle helmets. Zags 85-79.

strikenowhere
01-13-2016, 06:14 AM
BYU - 80
Zags - 66

Guards are unable to keep up with the 3-pt barrage that the Cougars will shoot and Sabonis/Wiltjer will deal with early foul trouble down-low due to the guards being unable to defend penetration to the basket. This has all the makings of a letdown game.

Kiddwell
01-13-2016, 07:22 AM
There will be a couple of Kennel Club members wearing white shirts with ties and bicycle helmets. Zags 85-79.
That's hilarious. Looking forward to seeing you.:lmao:

:]

DixieZag
01-13-2016, 07:40 AM
I respect posters who go with their head, even when it says opponent win.

But, I'm not feeling it this game. That stat "1 road win" just doesn't go away. Everything changes on the road, I know that from Frosh basketball, only defense travels, and the BYU Cougars ain't known for defense, or at least legal defense.

Zags 81

Not Zags 71

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-13-2016, 09:27 AM
BYU - 80
Zags - 66

Guards are unable to keep up with the 3-pt barrage that the Cougars will shoot and Sabonis/Wiltjer will deal with early foul trouble down-low due to the guards being unable to defend penetration to the basket. This has all the makings of a letdown game.

The makings of a letdown game? One of two conference opponents expected to challenge for WCC crown AND the team that ended your home court winning streak last season? San Diego on Saturday could be a letdown game but definitely not BYU.

Ezag
01-13-2016, 09:45 AM
GU 99
BYU 79

Coach Crazy
01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
The makings of a letdown game? One of two conference opponents expected to challenge for WCC crown AND the team that ended your home court winning streak last season? San Diego on Saturday could be a letdown game but definitely not BYU.

So, in fan think how does the logical currency exchange rate work? Is one loss against Pepperdine equal to close games against SCU and USF on the road? If so, then I would think we would need to stick to the idea that it is now very unlikely that SMC will win WCC.

Zagnificent
01-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Gu by twelve.

GU 84
BYU 69

???

strikenowhere
01-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Everyone is so high on how the team has played recently and seem to think the Zags will be double-digit winners but are forgetting the fundamental flaws that exist. The team has a total of two post (very good) post players. As soon as one gets in foul trouble and Edwards is in the game for extended minutes, the game is lost. The guards aren't going to be able to keep up with BYU's freneticism and will be unable to match their scoring output from transition & 3 pt land. Extended time Edwards + the predictable poor 3 pt shooting from the guards = recipe for an L. I suppose it isn't a letdown technically as BYU is good enough to beat them but people seem to think a W is guaranteed.

23dpg
01-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Gonzaga is a 5.5 point favorite. I will take that.

Gonzaga 87
BYU 79

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-13-2016, 10:26 AM
So, in fan think how does the logical currency exchange rate work? Is one loss against Pepperdine equal to close games against SCU and USF on the road? If so, then I would think we would need to stick to the idea that it is now very unlikely that SMC will win WCC.

You are overestimating significance of Gaels losing @ Pepperdine. SMC currently has a 5-1 conference record, which is good for 2nd place behind Zags @ 5-0 and ahead of BYU @ 3-1, so they are very much still in the hunt to win WCC. Neither Zags or BYU have played @ Pepperdine yet, which is probably the 3rd toughest away game for each of the WCC contenders (Zags, SMC, BYU).

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Everyone is so high on how the team has played recently and seem to think the Zags will be double-digit winners but are forgetting the fundamental flaws that exist. The team has a total of two post (very good) post players. As soon as one gets in foul trouble and Edwards is in the game for extended minutes, the game is lost. The guards aren't going to be able to keep up with BYU's freneticism and will be unable to match their scoring output from transition & 3 pt land. Extended time Edwards + the predictable poor 3 pt shooting from the guards = recipe for an L. I suppose it isn't a letdown technically as BYU is good enough to beat them but people seem to think a W is guaranteed.

Now I see what you meant by letdown game strikenowhere...as in a game that fans could be letdown by Zags performance. I thought you meant a letdown game in terms of a game where Zags don't show up ready to play, lack intensity etc....like a trap game.

Zags have ample reason to be hyped for this game, and I think the very fact they have not played great as a team (only DS and KW) will serve to help them focus and execute. Zags know they have a lot to prove to a lot of people at this point, so I expect them to play their best game of the year. Which basically means a big performance from a 3rd player to complement DS and KW.....I really hope everything "clicks" for Silas Melson and we get to see him enjoy a breakout performance!

Coach Crazy
01-13-2016, 04:37 PM
You are overestimating significance of Gaels losing @ Pepperdine. SMC currently has a 5-1 conference record, which is good for 2nd place behind Zags @ 5-0 and ahead of BYU @ 3-1, so they are very much still in the hunt to win WCC. Neither Zags or BYU have played @ Pepperdine yet, which is probably the 3rd toughest away game for each of the WCC contenders (Zags, SMC, BYU).

No. What I'm doing is pointing out how illogical some of the criticism has been toward Gonzaga, with regard to their performance in conference thus far, and how that will relate to the likelihood they advance to the Dance.

Sorry, I've heard enough about how good Pepperdine is going to be/was supposed to be. When you need OT to beat LMU, barely beat Pacific, those are 2 of you 3 wins, and you have already been beaten by 20+ in a game, *with* a 10/9-6 record during a 120 RPI 155 SOS schedule? Yeah, it will require a really strong counter argument to make the case that they are this team that some thought was going to be up-and-coming.

Hoopaholic
01-13-2016, 05:04 PM
???

New math

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-13-2016, 05:33 PM
???

http://imoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

RenoZag
01-13-2016, 08:23 PM
BYU - 90
GU - 82

Zebras and our guards do us in against the Provo putzes.

77Zag
01-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Zags win by 12

Cougs 70
Zags 82

Kennel Club is rocking, Karno is hopefully on the bench and adds inspiration -- and the Zags roll

Go Zags - Beat the Cougs!

Reborn
01-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Alright. The game is just hours away. I'm really excited. Can hardly wait. We will get to see a lot tonight. The game will tell us a lot about where our Zags are at.

I've definitely noticed lately when watching other good teams play that it's very tough to win on the road FOR EVERYONE. A good falls almost every single night. The Zags are playing at home this weekend and should be 7-0 in league by the end of the week. Pretty good I'd say.

BYU has looked good in the games I've seen them play on TV, but did not look all that good when the were on the Road against St Mary's. Don't think they play as well on the road. I also feel that they are not a real good defensive team.

Gonzaga students are back and ready. They've missed a lot of games and they will make a big difference tonight. The Kennel is just the same without our students there. It will have an effect on the younger players for BYU.

Let's get the fire burning bright and hot tonight.

Go Zags!!!

Bogozags
01-14-2016, 08:28 AM

This is a very plausible possibility; however, I will be on my knees, with Rosary in my left hand bible in the other and praying like crazy that BYU's basket becomes much smaller than GU's...

I believe if we ALL did the same thing, then this would ensure a GU victory!

GO ZAGS!

PS: I have extra, used knee pads for sale if you need them

Reborn
01-14-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm right there with you praying if needed. I am a believer in prayer. It helps me anyway......hahahahahaha

Mr Vulture
01-14-2016, 02:19 PM
BYU by 5....just a gut feeling that is hopefully indigestion.

bballbeachbum
01-14-2016, 04:08 PM
got to get after the D boards and the long misses. BYU plays hard and contests their O glass hard

Zag4Hire
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM
got to get after the D boards and the long misses. BYU plays hard and contests their O glass hard

Mostly this but considering BYU came into K2 last year and snagged a victory against that squad, I am a bit leery on this one. There looks to be no real consistent factor in BYU's 5 losses that really stands out but I would guess the formula is limit any 2nd chance opportunities and have the guards play in the hip pocket of the BYU backcourt. BYU loves volume shooting but BYU appears to have a short bench for bigs. The Captain Obvious offensive set would be to free up Sabs and have him go to work and maybe look for Perk slashing or KW in space.

Zags 78
BYU 76

Lack of quality FT shooting late makes it real close but Zags pull it out.

RenoZag
01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
"GU has a fire that BYU doesn't have"

Yes, a dumpster fire in the back court.