PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game: UP - 1. 9. 2016

RenoZag
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Zags hold serve at home against the Pilots.

Which Bulldog gets your vote as the Player of the Game tonight ??

ESPN BOX SCORE

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400840100

MTZag03
01-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Had to go Sabonis for rebounding and freethrows.

ZagLawGrad
01-09-2016, 06:08 PM
DS. A bright spot compared to the guards' inconsistency

Birddog
01-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Domas, for his complete game!

SunDevilGolfZag
01-09-2016, 06:10 PM
I went with Domas Wiltger. Or is it Kyle Sabonis. One or the other

hooter73
01-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Wish KW had have gone off for another quiet 40 points but as it was Sabonis kept us ahead with tough play.

ZagNative
01-09-2016, 06:16 PM
What a gift Sabonis has been! His game just makes me smile!

jpn17
01-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I went with Wiltjer. Couldn't really go wrong with him or DS and Sabonis probably had more of a complete game, but Wiltjer did hit some shots that finally put some separation between GU and UP that they never relinquished.

zag buddy
01-09-2016, 06:22 PM
I voted other for both Kyle and Sabonis to be co players of the game. It's a shame to leave either one out.

jazzdelmar
01-09-2016, 06:24 PM
What a gift Sabonis has been! His game just makes me smile!

Quote of the year. Agree completely.

DixieZag
01-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Quote of the year. Agree completely.

Whether we lose him this coming off-season or next, it will only be when he is gone that we truly appreciate just how much he did to make differences in games. It's not just scoring, not just rebounds, not just motor, fts, I think it extends to intimidation of near all other teams b/c they know there's a guy that tough they'll have to deal with, and won't really be able to.

dan71w
01-09-2016, 07:38 PM
man crush on Sabonus, just soo much fun to watch

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
I voted other for both Kyle and Sabonis to be co players of the game. It's a shame to leave either one out.

Over the last two games, they have combined for 125 points and 46 rebounds.

Reborn
01-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I went with Wiltjer because I love 3 pt shooters, and as usual Kyle control the first half with one three after another while our guards couldn't hit the broadside of a barn/ Sabonis as usual played his very very tough inside game. These two guys are quite the duo. Too darn bad that we didn't have guards that could contribute this year.

U Zig, I Zag
01-09-2016, 08:00 PM
KW's 3's late in the first half changed what Portland had to do in the second and when that seal was broke (for both teams, I think Kyle hit the only 3'a of the first half) that changed what GU could do.

NumberCruncher
01-09-2016, 08:33 PM
KW's 3's late in the first half changed what Portland had to do in the second and when that seal was broke (for both teams, I think Kyle hit the only 3'a of the first half) that changed what GU could do.

Dranginis also hit a first half three.

hooter73
01-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Whether we lose him this coming off-season or next, it will only be when he is gone that we truly appreciate just how much he did to make differences in games. It's not just scoring, not just rebounds, not just motor, fts, I think it extends to intimidation of near all other teams b/c they know there's a guy that tough they'll have to deal with, and won't really be able to.

Completely true. As a player you know there are great players like KW that are going to get his points in one way or another and generally they arent going to make you feel bad about it. Hes a great player, of course he goes off for 30 once every couple of games... But guys like Sabonis, you actually dont want to play against a guy like Sabonis. He is going to get his by going to work ON you. Now most guys at this level arent going to back down from that type of challenge. Guys that back down dont play D1 ball, but dang do you not look forward to it.

willandi
01-09-2016, 08:48 PM
With all repect to KW, KD, JP et al...it begs the question, "Why didn't you vote for Griffey?" Domas ruled the game! Wiltjer added lots and the surrounding cast did OK. Sabonis was the GUnit of the game.

Zagger
01-10-2016, 04:40 AM
We were sitting in row 9 right on the isle next to where the band usually is - affording a great look at the Zag basket for the 2nd half. I couldn't believe how Sabonis could score whilst being mobbed by Pilots. Some hooks were made as a quick toss/flip with four fingers. I'll bet the kid could pop your fingers off in a handshake! Voted for Sabonis.

TravelinZag
01-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Sabonis AND Wiltjer!

Go Zags! The power of belief and will-to-win.

jazzdelmar
01-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Fun match of great Zags: Ammo and JP versus KW and the Bonus...who wins?

RenoZag
01-10-2016, 05:46 AM

Ammo & JP had passable guards to play with. . .

If you're talking two on two, I think Wiltjer & Morrison cancel each other out; Sabonis superior to Batista on D and tougher

jazzdelmar
01-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Ammo & JP had passable guards to play with. . .

If you're talking two on two, I think Wiltjer & Morrison cancel each other out; Sabonis superior to Batista on D and tougher

Good call...Yes I was suggesting 2-2....but Ammo was a tad more potent, no? All GREAT foul shooters for bigs and all around....JP was pretty tough himself.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Whichever group has Raivio to shoot from outside.

NumberCruncher
01-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Whichever group has Raivio to shoot from outside.

Raivio shot 35.8% from three that year.

That team had many close calls against mediocre WCC teams.

They had three losses at this point in the season.

They finished #34 on KenPom. This years team is at #35 right now.

There are many other parallels between the two teams.

Perspective.

Ezag
01-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Basically Sabonis and Wilt are our GU UNITS for the Season!

Zagceo
01-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Domas is so intense on the court and so not off the court.

Thank you Tommy & Mark for the successful recruitment of Domantas.

RenoZag
01-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Basically Sabonis and Wilt are our GU UNITS for the Season!

+1. The team will go as far as they can carry them.

maynard g krebs
01-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Sabonis' total line was unbelievable; beyond the boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals (okay, 5 to's but who cares given everything else?) and the 28 points were on 11 fg attempts. Over 2.5 points per fg attempt. Remarkable, regardless of the competition.

Was tempted to, tongue in cheek, vote other and say Perkins for the 6/6 ft shooting. I've said all along that he'll be fine in that area, if not great at least 70+ long term. A lot on his plate; just needed some time to get his comfort level in this area and others.

Also wanted to vote co-mvp's, as KW's 3's when the offense was struggling were huge in spreading the floor.