PDA

View Full Version : OT, Russsell Westbrook

Birddog
01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
A good story with some WCC content. It's also interesting to note Westbrook's development in HS, from HS to college, and in college.
http://newsok.com/westbrook-in-westwood-russell-westbrooks-10-year-ascension-to-superstardom-comes-full-circle-on-westbrook-night-at-ucla/article/5471276

A few months later, Westbrook was on campus. As a freshman, he played behind Afflalo and Darren Collison, two future pros. “Real raw,” Collison said. “But he had the ability to be something special.”

Westbrook earned pockets of playing time off the bench that first season, but his biggest strides were made in practice. Unlike most freshmen, he wasn't wide-eyed and timid, but confident and competitive against his older teammates.

“An unbelievable worker,” Howland said. “I'm not sure many people realize that. He'd get knocked down, get back up and try harder. Unbelievable drive.”

vandalzag
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
A good story with some WCC content. It's also interesting to note Westbrook's development in HS, from HS to college, and in college.
http://newsok.com/westbrook-in-westwood-russell-westbrooks-10-year-ascension-to-superstardom-comes-full-circle-on-westbrook-night-at-ucla/article/5471276

What a mistake by Howland. He should have given up on Westbrook the minute he struggled in games his first year.

JPtheBeasta
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
What a mistake by Howland. He should have given up on Westbrook the minute he struggled in games his first year.

Seriously. What's the point of owning a damn doghouse if you aren't going to use it?!

GUfan34
01-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Who's the current Zag struggling that you guys are assuming will become the next Russell Westbrook?

JPtheBeasta
01-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Who's the current Zag struggling that you guys are assuming will become the next Russell Westbrook?

My comment was a joke. And a non-sequitur.

Without getting into NBA talk, the biggest underachiever, based on the accolades I heard here, might be Silas Melson.

GUfan34
01-09-2016, 09:14 AM
ok, haha

Yeah, if melson become the next Westbrook, I'll split up my winning Powerball ticket with the board.

Birddog
01-09-2016, 09:31 AM
The intent of the thread was to illustrate how talent can develop "under the radar" in practice etc. Also to note that Keating was the recruiter and that USD was probably a contender had UCLA not offered. Lots of what if's.

vandalzag
01-10-2016, 03:28 PM
The intent of the thread was to illustrate how talent can develop "under the radar" in practice etc. Also to note that Keating was the recruiter and that USD was probably a contender had UCLA not offered. Lots of what if's.

Exactly my point but I did not include pictures with my post so some could better grasp the concept.