PDA

View Full Version : What's something that you feel that the Zags can work on this week in practice.

Reborn
01-04-2016, 08:35 AM
I still think that they need more work on how to beat the double teams on Wiltjer and Sabonis. It's obvious that Wiltjer and Sabonis will need to carry the Zags now on the offensive end, and teams will be preparing schemes on how to stop those two. So the Zags need to plan how to counter punch.

gueastcoast
01-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Stopping guard penetration on defense. Ugh.

zag buddy
01-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Getting the ball inside to Edwards when he is in.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Guards/Wings need to work on shooting

Posts need to work on passing out of double teams quickly

CDC84
01-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Weak side defense, stopping the dribble drive.

bartruff1
01-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Everything...

Zagceo
01-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Scouting reports are so detailed with access to video and data (KenPom) game plans are much more precise and yet we sometimes look like a high school team chasing the ball to the hoop.

I wonder what affect Nigel is having in practice against our guards. Is he shredding them like Watson?

The team needs to step up with defensive rotations. React quickly and recover quicker.

I'd prefer players stop running out to block shooters so often and play more under control and anticipate drives and passes instead of leaving their feet for the blocked shot.

CdAZagFan
01-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Definitely shore up their interior D - way too many lay ins. I'm not sure how the stats turned out over their Bay Area trip, but their rebounding didn't seem as dominant as it was earlier - even without Shem.

Outraged
01-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Defense...where did it go. A play for Edward. A play for Alberta. How to draw a foul how to make free throw.how to take a charge.

TheZagPhish
01-04-2016, 09:27 AM

+1

kitzbuel
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Stopping guard penetration on defense. Ugh.

Moving their feet. The whole team.

rennis
01-04-2016, 11:00 AM
3 point shooting and slowing/stopping dribble penetration.

3 point shooting isn't magically going to improve so really they just need to work on the second item

maynard g krebs
01-04-2016, 11:29 AM
On offense, encouraging the guards to let the wide open, squared up 3 fly with confidence. At USF especially, you could just see McClellan especially, but others as well, seeming to hesitate and think about it. That is a big issue; I thought USF's guards outplayed the Zags' by a wide margin, shooting and slashing with confidence. I think there needs to be a balance between getting the ball inside and letting the guards not have to, seemingly, be asking themselves, is this an ok shot, then debating it before hesitantly shooting and missing. McClellan got the Meech treatment last game, and missed shots a lot of guys at the Y can make. And I put that on how he's being coached right now. Perkins is the only guard shooting w/ confidence, outside of Alberts, who has been scouted and taken away.

And on defense, what CDC said, as usual.

MDABE80
01-04-2016, 11:32 AM
HAS to be defense, especially of the guards. When it comes to Wiltjer, he really need to have Travis revisit his drills. east-west especially./

mgadfly
01-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Conditioning.

We have six guys who need to average 30 mpg the rest of the way. Time to get in the best shape of their lives.

DixieZag
01-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Combing this,

With:

Everything...

And I think that's a good way to go

jpwils
01-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Combing this,

With:

And I think that's a good way to go

I'm sure our coaching staff is well-versed in what to do in practice. Our players are not executing as well as a top 25 team should on Defense. We need to get more points out of Melson and Alberts if they are going to play much. Dranginis is starting to pull ahead of those guys in my view. We need another STEADY 3 point shooter bad but EMac and Perkins have shown improvements in production. I'm sure it has been noted but Perkins continues to make foolish decisions with the ball in crucial situations...two charging fouls almost cost Zags bigtime !!

But i must say they played well to come back toward end of second half against USF - almost an eerie repeat of games previously lost @ USF. Loved Sabonis and wiltjer's composure under pressure and huge odds to come back ! Nice work whole team!!!

We need couple 3 balls to go in in first half and early part of games !! Have not seen Wiltjer in pick n pop as often as I expected in early game.

tinfoilzag
01-04-2016, 01:10 PM
-Not fouling 3 pt shooters
-end of half/game plays
-Free throws (especially at the end of practice when they are fatigued)

Baseline
01-04-2016, 01:48 PM
The whole conference may well depend on the SMC games. The Dribble drive with Rohan will be a big issue as well as their 3 point shooting. To me its these two things.

titopoet
01-04-2016, 03:24 PM
I still think that they need more work on how to beat the double teams on Wiltjer and Sabonis. It's obvious that Wiltjer and Sabonis will need to carry the Zags now on the offensive end, and teams will be preparing schemes on how to stop those two. So the Zags need to plan how to counter punch.

The guards need to work on confidence. Josh and Eric can dominate WCC and they just need to realize it and act on it.

Mantua
01-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Getting Alberts and Edwards up to speed.

cjm720
01-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Weak side defense

M2M

Once Wiltjer bodies up on O, kick it out. Shoot 100 percent otherwise �� I feel KW forces shots down low sometimes.

Shooting guard drills...who's the third guard who can hit a bucket?

Double team pressure and how to not turnover the ball. Haven't seen it as much in conference or maybe Perks is just taking care of the ball better.

jimmycarter
01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
The guards need to work on confidence. Josh and Eric can dominate WCC and they just need to realize it and act on it.

This. If our guards can gain confidence and actively "hunt shots", it's a whole different team.

Blackbeard
01-04-2016, 04:54 PM
end of game plays and Few needs to practice his halftime pep talks to his team.

NumberCruncher
01-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Getting ready for Portland.

ZAGLAWQB
01-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Offense appears to be "made up my mind to shoot 2 seconds ago" rather than instinctively.
Defense appears to be "stress reactive and sometimes solo without lane closers in the back"
rather than vocal and pattern specific.
Over the years some very talented Zags have been burned across the back line, both zone
and man to man down the stretch.

bballbeachbum
01-04-2016, 07:31 PM
the 2-3 zone if that's going to be the main D: denying penetration out of it, rebounding the weakside, don't get torched from deep, and this was the D that had poor help side D.
and the small lineup so we can matchup with other teams M2M sometimes; felt like the zone at USF was to protect our bigs (which is fine btw)

no Karno means no rim protector so teams will attack the rim off the bounce more, to be expected; all teams attack the rim if there is no rim protector. so whatever can be done to mitigate that. but it's fun to watch how the team is adjusting on the fly from playing with a great rim protector to not having one...not an easy adjustment