• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Give Dontmiss 20 attempts per game

With his ft acumen, and domination in the paint, who in league play is gonna stop him? He literally should score 30 ppg for the rest of the conference
  • john montana
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I think we would gladly let him shoot 20 times a game, but he is going to get doubled every time he puts the ball on the floor on the block. Just hard for him to get that many shots.
    john montana
    http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by john montana View Post
      I think we would gladly let him shoot 20 times a game, but he is going to get doubled every time he puts the ball on the floor on the block. Just hard for him to get that many shots.
      Great, then he kicks it out to Kyle for the wide open 3; win/win. Sure we're subpar at the sg spot, but have the most dominant big man in the league, by far.

Comment

• zags422
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        Great, then he kicks it out to Kyle for the wide open 3; win/win. Sure we're subpar at the sg spot, but have the most dominant big man in the league, by far.
        Who would actually proceed to fake a 3, swing it around the top to the other side and start all over again with feeding the ball down low to Wiltjer. Just saying I'd like to see our guards look for their shot more.

Comment

• john montana
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

my point is I think we already DO try to get him 20 + shots a game. Every possession is designed to get KW or DS the ball on the block with room to work...he just isn't going to get that many shots up because he'll get doubled and have to move the ball. It looks to me like we are absolutely trying to play off of DS in the post...even more so than KW in the post. I don't think for one second Few or any of the coaches would be mad about DS taking 20 shots...he just can't get that many shots off because teams are swarming him.
          john montana
          http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jstock12
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2014

Keep increasing his shot attempts until his FG% dips below something like 50%. Last year he averaged 5.7 attempts on 67% shooting, this year 10.9 attempts on 66% shooting, LOL.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2011

He takes shots as they come. We give him the ball a lot, it's not like we're dumping it down into the post and yelling "DON'T SHOOT! YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TOO MANY ATTEMPTS!"

Also, it's hard to just tell a player he needs to take X amount of shots. It's a great way to kill a team, though.

I'd love to see him get the ball in pregame, during the game, postgame, plane ride home, etc... but he's taking plenty of shots and they're GOOD shots. His shooting % is so high because he's got elite talent and he doesn't take bad shots. I think trying to do too much with Domas will stunt the growth of our guards. He's kicking @$$ and will continue to do so because it's what he does- no instructions needed.

Sabonis is phenomenal though, maybe the funnest Zag for me to watch all-time-- and I trust him at the FT line more than any Zag ever, save possibly Raivio.
              "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by zags422 View Post
                I'd like to see our guards look for their shot more.
                This.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

my point is I think we already DO try to get him 20 + shots a game. Every possession is designed to get KW or DS the ball on the block with room to work...he just isn't going to get that many shots up because he'll get doubled and have to move the ball. It looks to me like we are absolutely trying to play off of DS in the post...even more so than KW in the post. I don't think for one second Few or any of the coaches would be mad about DS taking 20 shots...he just can't get that many shots off because teams are swarming him.
                  And this. You have to take what the defense gives you, to some extent. It's always possible to take away one player; it's up to the others to make the defense pay for doing that.

The other thing is if 2 guys are taking the vast majority of the shots, the other players aren't confident and in rhythm when they have to take a big shot because the defense is focused, rightly, on the 2 main guys and virtually ignoring the rest of the team. Unless Kobe or Jordan is involved, or on the college level Adam Morrison, i.e. guys who can beat a dbl team by themselves, a balanced offense like SMC's, with 8 guys between 6 and 14 ppg, is much harder to defend.

Comment

• zag67
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

I think that the guards will shoot later in the clock. But the goal is to get a shot in the paint. And most of those will be KW and Sabonis. The guards do drive and are working to get open. I think as the season goes on more and more teams are going to double and triple the low blocks. This will in turn require are players to shoot more 3s. Like the one home game.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

He struggled quite a bit, especially in the first half, against SCU. Saying "nobody can stop him" doesn't quite jive when he just had a very subpar game.

Comment

• Zagnificent
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zags422 View Post
                        \Just saying I'd like to see our guards look for their shot more.
                        Plenty of his attempts come from missed shots by our guards. It's not like it's an either-or proposition...get the ball to Domas or get the ball to our guards. Given how some of our guards have been shooting this year, there's a decent chance that getting our guards to shoot will result in a put-back by Domas.
                        GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                          He struggled quite a bit, especially in the first half, against SCU. Saying "nobody can stop him" doesn't quite jive when he just had a very subpar game.
                          Looked to me like he was taking a lot of little bumps in that game that went uncalled and threw him off a bit. No elite defenders on SC; at home I bet he goes to the line a bit more. Life on the road.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                            Looked to me like he was taking a lot of little bumps in that game that went uncalled and threw him off a bit. No elite defenders on SC; at home I bet he goes to the line a bit more. Life on the road.
                            He's usually really good finishing in traffic/with some contact. He missed several shots in the first half against SCU he just doesn't miss usually. Everybody has a game where they aren't at their best, it happens. I looked at the box score after my earlier post, he was 4-9 from the floor. Not that bad, I guess we're kinda spoiled by Sabonis. Haven't been many games in his career w/ sub .500 shooting, and he didn't miss it by much. His rebounding was also off against SCU though, just wasn't his night.

Comment

• GUfan34
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2015

This is correct

OP, if it were that simple, we wouldn't lose ever. And any team with an elite scorer would rarely lose. But one guy can't do it all

Comment

Working...
                              X