PDA

View Full Version : wiltjer very skilled but

BBarton
01-02-2016, 08:59 PM
very SLOW and unathletic. I thought he was more of a 3-4. He will struggle playing 3-4 at the next level.

GUfan34
01-02-2016, 09:02 PM
He has no chance at the next level as a 3, but as a stretch 4 he'll be effective

hooter73
01-02-2016, 09:40 PM
IN the league he'll go back to the kentucky style where he comes in as a designated shooter. Shoulda gone last year if he wanted to be more than that.

sittingon50
01-02-2016, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=BBarton;1159735]very SLOW and unathletic.

Woof.

Birddog
01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Kyle W has to learn that if he dribbles more than twice, he is likely to get stripped or tied up. He has a hellluva touch though.

CDC84
01-02-2016, 09:43 PM
He's also not very attentive to defensive detail. A lot of his mistakes have nothing to do with his lack of athleticism. And it's being exposed more than ever since Karno went down.

VinnyZag
deleted

zag buddy
My God, he played with a sprained ankle. Heroic effort 30 pts 11 rebounds.

ZagsObserver
01-02-2016, 09:45 PM

Agreed. He was one of two players (Sabonis being the other) that gave the Zags a chance to win.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-02-2016, 09:48 PM
very SLOW and unathletic. I thought he was more of a 3-4. He will struggle playing 3-4 at the next level.

30 points tonight. A game even a troll could love

JPtheBeasta
01-02-2016, 09:49 PM

Not good enough!!

I'm trying to appreciate what he can bring to the Zags. If he was any more athletic, he would either still be at Kentucky or be playing in the NBA right now.

hooter73
01-02-2016, 10:10 PM
hes a preseason all american and national POY candidate, putting up numbers like it too and if youre only watching the stat sheets, great, amazing, unbelievable... if you watch him though its not what you say. His game is unbeleivable. Such a weird combination. He has been exposed though without Karno to play off of and a steady duo +1 to feed him and keep the floor spread.

RenoZag
01-02-2016, 10:26 PM
What's wrong bbarton ? You still mad the Ducks choked ?

Ezag
01-02-2016, 10:28 PM
You guys are ridiculous, he and Sabonis have been carrying this team for 95% of the year

MDABE80
01-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Sore ankle.........so? I'd say most have that with half the season gone.Kyle's is Kyle. No quite as good as last year bur, as CDC notes, Karno's absence has uncovered multiple issues with the team. He's a good college player for us. Not too mobile and his defense is not the best. I'll take 30-11 and call it square though.

CdAZagFan
01-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Someone said it somewhere here on the board tonight... Quietest 30-point game ever. He's had a couple of incredible halfs this season already - I think we're going to see a 50-point outing sometime this year.

ProVeeZag
01-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Why be concerned with how Wiltjer plays "at the next level". His time is now, his team is our team ... without him, where would the Zags be?

jazzdelmar
01-03-2016, 04:32 AM
I think he's terrific......and will make a ton of $$$ in the pros, somewhere.

bartruff1
01-03-2016, 07:02 AM
I like the fact that he usually starts the game hot....I can remember teams that just couldn't get off the snide and were always playing catch up.... he must be a great confidence builder for the team at the start of the game and a WTF for the opposition .... have to believe he is hurting but playing with courage....

He will make a ton of money playing basketball somewhere.....

NEC26
01-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Wiltjer had some huge rebounds and put backs in this game not to mention the three towards the end of regulation. Not sure why some here are saying he had a quiet 30 and implying they weren't important. No way we win this game without him.

BULLDOG#1
01-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Loss of Karno drastically changed the way the team needs Wiltjer to play... and he's adjusted nicely, given that it's out of his comfort zone.

It is somewhat funny that he's being criticized after putting up a huge game at SF.

He is more athletic than displayed by him sometimes looking awkward. Not NBA athlete, but has the size and skill for the NBA. He'll get some looks from NBA teams. It is becoming a offense first league and Wiltjer can definitely stretch the 4.

jazzdelmar
01-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Both K and D would thrive in the Spurs system.....but then, so would I.....

GrizZAG
01-03-2016, 09:14 AM
He is so smooth it is deceptive to watch. He puts up numbers every game it seems but during the game I don't see it somehow at time. When the game is over you see his numbers and say no s###?

GUfan34
01-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Both K and D would thrive in the Spurs system.....but then, so would I.....

Ha! Yeah, it's an elite system to be in, that's for sure. I thought Daye would find a role there. Surprised he didn't.

MileHigh
01-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Wiltjer will get paid to play basketball after college, that is a given.

The level he will play at is uncertain and has nothing to do with his ability to score and everything to do with his ability to defend elite athletes either on the block (if he were to play the 4) or on the wing (if he were to play the 3).

Everyone loves a 6-10 shooter, so he will find a home somewhere, I am certain of that.

jazzdelmar
01-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Ha! Yeah, it's an elite system to be in, that's for sure. I thought Daye would find a role there. Surprised he didn't.

Daye never got his head issues under control. Thanks to Darren the helicopter.

ProjectMKUltra5
01-03-2016, 10:11 AM
I've said it before, I can see Wiltjer sticking around the league for 10 years as a end of the bench guy that plays sparingly. He has great size and truely elite nba level shooting, and he seems like a great locker room guy (imo, never met him).

He's got Steve Novak written all over him imo

snebzag
01-03-2016, 06:28 PM
The next level is of little concern . I only care about this level right now. Glad KW is a Zag and doing what he is doing.

bartruff1
01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Daye never got his head issues under control. Thanks to Darren the helicopter.

I think you are absolutely right....and that was his problem at Gonzaga... happens all too often...Tommy all but admitted it was a problem. Does he ever come back, like most of the players do ??

Outraged
01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
He is a good big to have in a gaurd oriented world. They were swarming him last night and he still hit 30. He's not selfish. Shoots like hornacek. He has to pace himself. Does not run unless he has to. He runs the court well for a big but not a guard. He likes to follow. Seems to be there for the put back. I like it when he gets mad. Would like him to draw more fouls especially when doing the three. Seems to get to various areas of the floor from one moment to the next. More spots than anyone else. You have to wonder how did he get there.

He's hard to explain or put into a defined classification. He's an outside the box type player. I think his defense has been underrated.

tyra
01-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Let me see if I have this right: the consensus is that he has great offensive weapons but may or may not play in the NBA because he doesn't or cannot play adequate defense. Heck, I thought that package was the very essence of the NBA.

GrizZAG
01-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Met him and what a great young man. Really happy he is here and we would be far lesser of team without him for certain. He has a great future in the game for many reasons.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-04-2016, 06:00 AM

But no spinning fadeaways or tomahawk jumps. Points don't count unless they're pretty.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Let me see if I have this right: the consensus is that he has great offensive weapons but may or may not play in the NBA because he doesn't or cannot play adequate defense. Heck, I thought that package was the very essence of the NBA.

Most NBA players are elite defenders but the rules in the NBA essentially castrate defensive players. Makes it nearly impossible for guys who are already bad defenders like Kyle.