PDA

View Full Version : You're Open...Take the Shot !!! Take the Damn Shot !!!

Nevada Don
01-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Dear Moderators,

I just wanted to maybe lighten things up a little with this stupid question. Please do whatever is appropriate with this thread.

3 point shooting is a large part of the game. I think most/many of us have attempted a 3 point shot at some point in our lives. My question is:

Could you make a 3 tomorrow if given the opportunity? I'd give you 5 chances at it. For your reference, a college 3 pointer is 20'9". A Free Throw is 15'. Rules: no practice shots, so you walk up to the line in whatever physical shape/condition you are in ( it might take me awhile to get out onto the court) and you'll have up to 5 attempts. One out of five is only 20%.

Throw out the excuses, throw out what you did when you played, throw out what you might be able to do with a little luck or even underhanded. The question is, can you make a 3 point shot tomorrow if you had the opportunity (up to five attempts) ? Well could 'ya ?

YES or NO ???

For me, all things considered, I'd have to say NO. What about you ???

Reborn
01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Yes! I am 68 but have continued to play H O R S E WITH my grandkids all the time, and just shoot around with them as I try to help them with their game. For me it's always been the bigger the moment the better I shoot. When I'm horsing around with the grandkids I like to say to them as im about to shoot five feet beyond the 3 point line. "This one is for Gonzaga against Duke in the semi finals." Swish!!! Smiling now......thanks for a light-hearted thread....It's fun to do be able to do that still.....and the Grand Kids love it when they see the ball go through the net. And they say, "You're the best, Grandpa."

dan71w
01-01-2016, 07:56 PM
nope, heck i cant even see the backboard let alone a rim or net. i would never hit not close.

Zagricultural
01-01-2016, 08:11 PM
At least 3-5 if I am unguarded, but I still play a little too

maynard g krebs
01-01-2016, 09:15 PM
No warmups? WTF?:) Not sure about that. I usually shoot a few lane runners and short jumpers to get loose before moving out to the line.

If I shoot 50 threes, different spots, get it off quickly trying to mimic game condition release, I'll make on average around 27-28. I'm 61 and play pickup with mostly much younger guys, so I mostly spot up at the line and hope for a lax defender and a kickout. At this stage if a guy guards me closely, I'm gonna maybe take a dribble or 2 and swing it around, cause I'm not gonna get to the hoop much anymore. Not getting to the basket these days unless it's a lane you could drive a truck through. Open shots within 2 ft or so of the line, I probably make about 40% or so in games. But we play 1's and 2's, so the three pt shot, worth 2, is overvalued and most of the shooters take a few we shouldn't, so overall it's a bit lower. But new guys assigned to guard me are frequently warned, don't let maynard shoot (cause he can't really do anything else any more, lol)

But if the losing team is shooting for a couple spots in the next game, more often than not I get in.

zag buddy
01-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Only 1 for 5, piece of cake

Reborn
01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
No warmups? WTF?:) Not sure about that. I usually shoot a few lane runners and short jumpers to get loose before moving out to the line.

If I shoot 50 threes, different spots, get it off quickly trying to mimic game condition release, I'll make on average around 27-28. I'm 61 and play pickup with mostly much younger guys, so I mostly spot up at the line and hope for a lax defender and a kickout. At this stage if a guy guards me closely, I'm gonna maybe take a dribble or 2 and swing it around, cause I'm not gonna get to the hoop much anymore. Not getting to the basket these days unless it's a lane you could drive a truck through. Open shots within 2 ft or so of the line, I probably make about 40% or so in games. But we play 1's and 2's, so the three pt shot, worth 2, is overvalued and most of the shooters take a few we shouldn't, so overall it's a bit lower. But new guys assigned to guard me are frequently warned, don't let maynard shoot (cause he can't really do anything else any more, lol)

But if the losing team is shooting for a couple spots in the next game, more often than not I get in.

Good post. hahahah I really enjoyed it. You're doing dang good for 61. Keep it up.

ProVeeZag
01-02-2016, 12:10 AM
No warmups? WTF?:)

If I shoot 50 threes, different spots, get it off quickly trying to mimic game condition release, I'll make on average around 27-28.

Just two questions:
#1 Do you have any eligibility left?
#2 If yes, can you catch a flight to Oakland tomorrow afternoon?
Uniform will be provided, but bring your own jock and sneakers.

tyko
01-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Seriously. That clip would be more than good enough for the NBA career 3P% record.

maynard g krebs
01-02-2016, 01:35 AM
Seriously. That clip would be more than good enough for the NBA career 3P% record.

Unguarded. If somebody halfway decent guards me seriously, I can't get a shot off in a game. Luckily in pickup that's rare.

There's a little 5'6 asian guy I play with who's about 48 and will make 7 or 8 in a row all the time warming up. Remember Kyle Wiltjer's 70/75; if we both shot 50 he'd beat me by 20. D1 players have to be able to make like 70% in drills to get the green light, I've read.

About 15 years ago I went to Vegas for the first weekend of the tourney and played at the Y there a few times. Pretty good players there; I was outclassed by a mile by 90% of them. There was one guy well into his 60's, about 6'4 with these heavy metal sided knee braces. Everybody there knew him and they'd always pass him the ball at the top of the key, and he made every shot, it seemed. Afterward, he asked me to play horse, and I did. Biggest mistake of my life. Absolutely skunked me twice; don't think I got a letter on him.

After we were done I asked when and where he'd played. Turned out he was on a NAIA champ Kentucky Wesleyan team back in the mid 1950's, and said he'd led the NAIA in fg% three years in a row. I didn't doubt him.

maynard g krebs
01-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Just two questions:
#1 Do you have any eligibility left?
#2 If yes, can you catch a flight to Oakland tomorrow afternoon?
Uniform will be provided, but bring your own jock and sneakers.

Every guy on the GU roster who shoots them in games can make 35-40 of 50 shooting them one after another unguarded, I'd just about guarantee. KW about 46. Totally different than shooting 3 or 4 over a 2 hr game, tired and under pressure.

maynard g krebs
01-02-2016, 01:44 AM
Good post. hahahah I really enjoyed it. You're doing dang good for 61. Keep it up.

JV and intramurals was as far as I went; small and slow only gets you so far. So you're like a god to me. My goal is to be a world class age group player by 75, when all the athletes have slowed down to my speed (meaning, of course, that they've died).

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-02-2016, 03:52 AM
That depends on whether you let me shoot it as a skyhook. That was my favorite shot in H-O-R-S-E back when I was in high school. I might still have a better shooting percentage with it than with a face up jump shot from that range.

Coach Crazy
01-02-2016, 04:56 AM
Can I outsource the shots and keep a percentage of the credit for each made basket?

bartruff1
01-02-2016, 06:01 AM
No problem, with my two handed above the head set shot that Burgess taught me.

baitcast
01-02-2016, 07:08 AM
:clap:
I'm 81 and I made one the other day I think
Rob

Nevada Don
01-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Every guy on the GU roster who shoots them in games can make 35-40 of 50 shooting them one after another unguarded, I'd just about guarantee. KW about 46. Totally different than shooting 3 or 4 over a 2 hr game, tired and under pressure.

Aussie Emmett Naar, who was shooting a D-1 record leading 3's around 70% at the time, was interviewed recently and asked how many he's made in a row in practice. He said somewhere around 28-35 !!!

So I guess most anything is possible.

Nevada Don
01-02-2016, 07:56 AM
About this thread, its said that if you want to get to know someone, play a round of golf with them. Apparently, you can learn a lot about someone by "shooting hoops" with them too. As an example:

Reborn is ready to hit the game winning 3 against Duke as long as his grandkids are there for support.

Maynard G is looking to "hit his shooting stride" at age 75.

ProVeeZag is recruiting for the USF game but you have to BYOJ (bring your own Jock).

zag buddy expects cake to be a part of the experience.

dan71w might need eye glasses

bartruff1 apparently uses "two hands" to accomplish the task.

Martin Centre Mad Man likes to channel Kareem's skyhook for inspiration.

Coach Crazy is looking for a way to get someone else to take the shot.

tyko might want it on videotape as proof and Zagriculture appears to have a practice hoop on his farm.

Reborn also prefers "warmups" before attempting to "get his shot off".

Happy New Year Zags !!!

Outraged
01-02-2016, 08:25 AM
I could and if I did I would not take another shot.

bballbeachbum
01-02-2016, 08:32 AM
unguarded it's easier, of course. did you hear about Steph Curry at practice, unguarded? evidently he made 77 in a row, 94 out of 100

hooter73
01-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Im a solid 30% from the NBA three point line on the blacktop court outside my work. When Im even being watched by someone else, not even guarded, its air ball city.

zag buddy
01-02-2016, 11:47 AM
I would wager that I could play any player in the world and I would not lose given the following provisions: I shot first and if no winner after two hours it's a tie. Of course I would have to shoot layups for two hours.

ProjectMKUltra5
01-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Of course I would, I play almost every day though. Gotta stay ready for that Hoopfest championship