PDA

View Full Version : scary win strange stats

Outraged
12-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Shot great. Good free throws ...yet soo close. Rebounding suspect. Defending the three less than successful. I will wait for a more skilled eye to explain this one. Happy for the win. Every game matters.

Reborn
12-31-2015, 04:05 PM
The reffing definitely kept Santa Clara in the game. I saw some of the All=Time worst calls.

Nevada Don
12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
I only saw the 2nd half. SCU shot extremely well but they also had some wide open looks on corner 3's which is the only thing I might question.
Perkins was outstanding.

seacatfan
12-31-2015, 04:12 PM
The reffing definitely kept Santa Clara in the game. I saw some of the All=Time worst calls.

I had to quit watching the game. 5-6 possessions in a row with a touch foul that sent SCU to the line, then 2 straight ridiculous offensive fouls against GU.

Mantua
12-31-2015, 04:32 PM
I picked up on the feeling that our forwards didn't have a great game, BUT their forwards were held to 15.

And the reffing was atrocious.

DixieZag
12-31-2015, 04:40 PM
I had to quit watching the game. 5-6 possessions in a row with a touch foul that sent SCU to the line, then 2 straight ridiculous offensive fouls against GU.

This just "seems" to happen on this trip more than any other. SCU and then USF, year after year after year

willandi
12-31-2015, 05:03 PM
I set my DVR and it only recorded the first half. My wife caught it (kind of) and recorded the last 2.4 seconds...the huddle AFTER Perkins missed the first free throw. I got to watch the intentional miss and rebound.

I am sure that other schools feel just as homed as Zag fans do. I wonder what an actual look at, and count of called/not called fouls would show. If replay showed that the Zags were being consistently called against, it would seem that a complaint filed first with the WCC and then the NCAA would be in order. It wouldn't do much good, but would at least establish a pattern. Later it could be dealt with...I know, it will never happen, but it helps to say it.

What would happen if the players called the fouls? Not directed at the refs, not loud, just announced the fouls as they occured. Again, I know it won't happen. The refs would stop it, not because it's actually against any rule, but because the Refs would feel they were being shown up.

RenoZag
12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Alberts had zero points, Sabonis only had 11. SCU held their own on the boards ( each team had 30 rebs).

I thought Feagin was going to be "that guy you've never heard of that kills us".

Instead it was Chris Rastatter (http://allsportstucson.com/2015/04/04/tucsonan-chris-rastatter-longtime-pac-12-ref-falls-short-of-making-first-final-four/) who nearly killed us. He was horrible at the Battle in Seattle too.

ProVeeZag
12-31-2015, 06:19 PM
When you get a long stretch of questionable calls going against you, toss the stats out the window. In the 2nd half, the "stripes" decided for whatever reason to make themselves an influencing factor in the outcome of the game. The 1st half was called considerably "looser" i.e. a lot of contact was allowed without a foul being called. Both teams adjusted their play accordingly, but I didn't see any excessively aggressive play. Then came halftime and I gotta wonder what substance the officials were swigging from their water bottles during that 20 minutes! After the intermission, several very slight touch fouls went against GU, followed in quick succession by 2 crap calls against Sabonis, apparently for "heavy breathing". Dickau made several references to the fact that the Zags had to adjust their play to how the refs were calling the game. That's fine if the refs are consistent in how they are calling it. I credit Coach Few for giving the one ref an earful at one point as the last several minutes of the game saw a semblance of sanity return to the refereeing. Seems like when you play at Santa Clara, you have to outplay the Broncos by about 12 points in order to win by 1. Just the way it is...be happy for an ugly win.

ZagsGoZags
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM
I hope Wiltjer and Sabonis are OK, I hope to find reassuring updates on them soon. I wish so much that either Edwards was a lot better, or that Few thought he was a lot better, because I am not sure Kyle W and Domas are guys that can play full speed at the minutes they are given. I also worry if they will get injuries if they continue being overextended (stated as my opinion, not a fact).
Melson looked great tonight, he seems to start getting his role, NOT a volume shooter, but a team guy who has defensive gifts, and can learn the creative art of passing. About the time he stops worrying if he can be a volume shooter like Kyle W. his shots will start falling in.
Even though we won, and the game was close, the offense definitely looked like vintage GU, and I am relieved to see that.
Hats off to Eric M for keeping Brownridge (sp?) scoring down to few good looks, when Kyle W. starts a game hitting like that it causes their defense to adjust, which opens up opportunities for our other players on offense.
I don't know if Josh P did so well tonight because he is so coachable, he fiddled with his mouthpiece a lot less while making plays, if he is grasping the big picture of Few's image for how the team should be run, or all three.

maynard g krebs
12-31-2015, 09:08 PM

This. Never seen Few that close to going ballistic; almost popped a vein twice. Multiple players with dumbfounded looks on their faces.

Get used to it on the road; the only crowd most of these schools see all year is for the Zags, and they don't want a blowout.

It is, after all, the business of "sports entertainment".

GUfan34
12-31-2015, 09:42 PM
There was a brutal stretch where the refs seemed to have it out for GU but they kept their composure and didn't let it bother them. Great job by the coaching staff IMO

Refs did give a few make up calls after that though, including that late one where Brownridge should have had an and 1 opportunity to tie it very late in the game. There was no way that shouldn't have been an and 1.

Usually, if you watch a game from both POVs the calls tend to even out. Fans usually just don't question calls that go in their favor, hence why it looks so bad. This is why players and coaches are able to maintain conposure. They know it usually evens out, although for a while I admit it looked like a one sided affair. In reality, WCC refs just aren't very good.

hondo
12-31-2015, 10:01 PM
We would all have to be more than a little naive to believe that all college refs were on the up and up. It would be pretty easy for refs to influence the spread in most games. As long as their is betting on college basketball their will be people trying to gain a gambling advantage. We saw it at USD by using players. I believe it would be a much safer way to influence a gambling risk by using refs. I don't know if all of today's crew were calling an honest game or not but you would have to have your head in the sand to believe that every single ref in college hoops is honest.

seacatfan
12-31-2015, 11:34 PM
We would all have to be more than a little naive to believe that all college refs were on the up and up. It would be pretty easy for refs to influence the spread in most games. As long as their is betting on college basketball their will be people trying to gain a gambling advantage. We saw it at USD by using players. I believe it would be a much safer way to influence a gambling risk by using refs. I don't know if all of today's crew were calling an honest game or not but you would have to have your head in the sand to believe that every single ref in college hoops is honest.

Well Tim Donaghy was the ONLY dishonest ref in the NBA. No really, the NBA did an investigation and assured of this. I think we can just comfortably assume that no college refs are involved in managing point spreads for betting purposes. (yes I am being totally sarcastic)

Zagger
01-01-2016, 04:26 AM
I set my DVR and it only recorded the first half. My wife caught it (kind of) and recorded the last 2.4 seconds...the huddle AFTER Perkins missed the first free throw. I got to watch the intentional miss and rebound.

I am sure that other schools feel just as homed as Zag fans do. I wonder what an actual look at, and count of called/not called fouls would show. If replay showed that the Zags were being consistently called against, it would seem that a complaint filed first with the WCC and then the NCAA would be in order. It wouldn't do much good, but would at least establish a pattern. Later it could be dealt with...I know, it will never happen, but it helps to say it.

What would happen if the players called the fouls? Not directed at the refs, not loud, just announced the fouls as they occured. Again, I know it won't happen. The refs would stop it, not because it's actually against any rule, but because the Refs would feel they were being shown up.

Mine stopped at exactly 1 hr & 30 mins - weird ....
Watched the rest here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuAV_ilOM1c&rdm=1txabw57c

bartruff1
01-01-2016, 06:19 AM
I don't believe the refs have any intention to manage the outcome of the games ...it is just a very difficult task.

Like life..... mistakes are made. and Gonzaga got the benefit of many of them.

GUfan34
01-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Mine stopped at exactly 1 hr & 30 mins - weird ....
Watched the rest here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuAV_ilOM1c&rdm=1txabw57c

I noticed my guide only had the game schedule from 2-3PM, so that was probably why your DVRs stopped recording

JPtheBeasta
01-01-2016, 01:22 PM

I agree. They really outdid themselves.