PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Santa Clara postgame talk

Reborn
12-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Gonzaga 79 Santa Clara 77

A great game. Santa Clara played really well. I mean their whole team, not just Brownridge. For GU Perkins had a great game with 25 points. He was really good and the Zags really needed him to be really good. Wiltjer scored 20, EMAC 15, and Sabonis 11. Zags got good scoring from 4-5 starters. They shot 57% from the field and 42% from behind the 3pt line; so they did well on offense. Santa Clara made 12-24 threes, and were really on fire from behind the arch. Very good game by them. Zags were behind most of the second half, but really closed the game with some good defense. Brownridge got 26 and had a darn good game as you might expect.

Zags only had 9 turnovers so they are continuing to improve in that department. Perkins and McClellan had really good games thank God. Sabonis was really pretty ineffective as far as I could see. Probably his worst game of the year.

I really disliked the way the 3 Studges called the game. Dickau, for me, was unbearable but honestly they all were.

A very good win in Conference Play. Whoever said Conference play would be easy was wrong. I have to admit that I felt the Zags would win by much more. Santa Clara really came play and was hitting so many threes. This game was good for the Zags as it will show them what they will get every game on the ROAD.

Go Zags!!!

hooter73
12-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Well our starting wing played 11 minutes and attempted 1 shot. His sub played 24 minutes and at least attempted 4 shots; connected on one of them. Our substituted shooting guard played 20 minutes and made a free throw. Our only true center and project for the future played 5 whole minutes.

This was against the bottom of the bottom tier of our conference.

Yippee.

They eked this one out by Zagging up for a win but GU is going to be a zombie team by mid February.

Outraged
12-31-2015, 06:00 PM
I think ALBERTS needs to take a few more shots or at least go after the rebound or follow emacs for an opportunity put back. just enough to keep the defense honest. I ssaw the yedy but did not catch him on film.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-31-2015, 06:05 PM
I was not able to see the game, but excited to learn of Perkins' breakout performance on the road and that the Zags won. Other than that, grasping at straws to try and feel too excited or optimistic about beating a poor Santa Clara team...barely.

Steadfast in my loyalty and fandom, but as a basketball fan and former coach a couple stats raise major red flags for me about this team.

1) Edwards plays just 5 minutes...so basically the coaches want to roll with a 7 man rotation rather than trust in Edwards. I do not understand that but it doesn't bode well because Sabonis/Wiltjer cannot do it alone on the inside vs NCAA tourney teams.

2) Dranginis, Melson, Alberts play a combined 55 minutes and contribute 5 pts on 5 shots between them. They are obviously "key" players for this team this year insofar as they will be seeing lots of minutes, so if they cannot provide more offensive support than they are showing thus far this too does not bode well.

A lot of work to do for this team to improve, but all their dreams are still within reach too. Go Zags...do it for PK!!

Outraged
12-31-2015, 06:12 PM
1. The yeti is to be feared not seen apparently.
2.they have to get a rebound to get a shot otherwise rhey throw the ball to the highest percentage shooter . Alberts can't throw the ball to himself so he can't shoot.

CdAZagFan
12-31-2015, 06:37 PM
I believe Dranginis needs to bust out offensively - and that may mean taking a bunch of shots. He just looks like he has absolutely no confidence at this point in his outside shot. With this team, they need his offense. Melson has me a little worried (especially late in games). Although he finished okay, that turnover in the corner when he got trapped could have been disaster. Alberts needs to become more offensively aggressive also.

I'm not too worried about the fact that the score wasn't lopsided - a conference win is a conference win. And Josh Perkins was really amazing. I hope he realizes that he needs to look for his shots like that.

CDC84
12-31-2015, 06:37 PM
This team is just not the same defensively without Karno in the middle. It's a big concern. There are a number of teams in league who shoot the 3 ball well. Teams are driving it and kicking it back out. Very fortunate to get out of there with a W.

Perkins was really good. He keeps improving.

Reborn
12-31-2015, 07:54 PM
Give credit to Santa Clara. They played a really good game, and they shot lights out from behind the 3 pt line. I believe the goal was to keep Brownridge below 30 and they did. I thought they contained him quite well in the second half. The refs were pathetic, but Divine Justice was on the side of the Zags. Brownridge missed two foul shots down the stretch (he's a 90% shooter), and that guy missed a layup with 14 seconds to go in the game. Things evened out in the long run. Wiltjer was solid down the stretch contrary to what someone posted.

Portland scored 95 points against San Francisco and lost 107-95. It must have been played like it was the Indy 500. Just over 200 points were scored. I'm looking forward to the game Saturday. It should be another barn=burner. USF and GU is always a great game. Get ready fans.

Go Zags

RenoZag
12-31-2015, 08:16 PM
AP Wire Story ( via ESPN )

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400830252

San Jose Mercury-News Gamer:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29331853/santa-clara-men-nearly-knock-off-gonzaga

But in taking the West Coast Conference powerhouse Zags down to the wire before a near-capacity crowd of 3,121 at the Leavey Center, the Broncos showed flashes of a team on the cusp of a breakthrough.

The outcome was not determined until the final moments. SCU's Jared Brownridge hit two free throws with 2.5 seconds remaining to cut Gonzaga's lead to one, then fouled freshman guard Josh Perkins on Gonzaga's ensuing possession.

Perkins made the first of two free throws, and Broncos guard K.J. Feagin caught the rebound after Perkins missed the second with 1.9 seconds to play. Feagin attempted to heave the ball the length of the court, but the ball fell well short of the basket.

It was the fourth consecutive defeat for Santa Clara (4-11, 0-3 WCC).

"We're getting better," Broncos coach Kerry Keating said. "This was our sixth loss on two possessions or less. We're right there. Our kids are just going to keep fighting. They'll figure out how to get there."

sittingon50
12-31-2015, 08:46 PM
AP Wire Story ( via ESPN )

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400830252

San Jose Mercury-News Gamer:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29331853/santa-clara-men-nearly-knock-off-gonzaga

So many inaccuracies in that one little paragraph that in takes the term "mailing it in" to new levels. My favorite was "a near capacity crowd of 3121". Leavey is listed at 4700.

jim77
12-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Good to get the win...Perkins is getting more comfortable.....and one of the best PG's we've ever had at following his own shots. The fella had some heady plays at the end.

willandi
12-31-2015, 09:27 PM
So many inaccuracies in that one little paragraph that in takes the term "mailing it in" to new levels. My favorite was "a near capacity crowd of 3121". Leavey is listed at 4700.

I wonder what game they were watching?

Section 116
12-31-2015, 09:55 PM
Meehan's game story: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/dec/31/josh-perkins-helps-zags-hold-off-broncos/

demian
12-31-2015, 10:48 PM
Cant believe I missed this game. I didn't even know it was on. I WASTED my entire night watching on DVR the two SNORE FEST college football playoff games. I am really starting to hate college football honestly. But GO ZAGS.

A great game. Santa Clara played really well. I mean their whole team, not just Brownridge. For GU Perkins had a great game with 25 points. He was really good and the Zags really needed him to be really good. Wiltjer scored 20, EMAC 15, and Sabonis 11. Zags got good scoring from 4-5 starters. They shot 57% from the field and 42% from behind the 3pt line; so they did well on offense. Santa Clara made 12-24 threes, and were really on fire from behind the arch. Very good game by them. Zags were behind most of the second half, but really closed the game with some good defense. Brownridge got 26 and had a darn good game as you might expect.

Zags only had 9 turnovers so they are continuing to improve in that department. Perkins and McClellan had really good games thank God. Sabonis was really pretty ineffective as far as I could see. Probably his worst game of the year.

I really disliked the way the 3 Studges called the game. Dickau, for me, was unbearable but honestly they all were.

A very good win in Conference Play. Whoever said Conference play would be easy was wrong. I have to admit that I felt the Zags would win by much more. Santa Clara really came play and was hitting so many threes. This game was good for the Zags as it will show them what they will get every game on the ROAD.

Go Zags!!!

GeorgiaZagFan
12-31-2015, 11:30 PM

A great game. Santa Clara played really well. I mean their whole team, not just Brownridge. !

..but to put it in perspective....how did our #1 league nemesis and rival (St. Marys) do when they visited Santa Clara?

MDABE80
01-01-2016, 12:23 AM
It wasn't a very good defense scheme. I'd say we'd better figureout something different on 3 pt defense or this will be very ugly the rest of the way in.
I notice some are praising the defense on Brownridge.......his average is 19.5 coming and he put up 26 today. I don't see much in the way of "good" or effective defense on the kid. He simply had a lull but then went off again.
Defense wins games. We almost lost this one.

roxdoc
01-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Can't see why anyone is remotely satisfied with tonight's game. We barely eeek out a 2 point win over a team that is 4 and 11, allowing them to make 50% of their 24 3-pt tries. Just imagine if we had been playing a really good 3-pt shooting team (like SMC).

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-01-2016, 12:49 AM
2 HUGE strides for Few as an in-game strategist that I hadn't seen before.

1. A dedication to fouling when up by 3. He had been wishy-washy on it before (according to my recollection).

2. Missing the free throw intentionally when leading by 1 in the closing seconds. Santa Clara was going to shoot a 3 pointer anyway. Didn't matter whether Zags were up 1 or 2. Get that clock running sooner. Absolutely correct.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Santa Clara has way too much talent to be 4-11 and winless in the WCC. Brownridge is a player who can create offense for himself even when the defense is guarding him really well. He draws a ton of attention wherever he goes and that clears lanes for his team to drive and shoot. He hit some incredible shots with EMAC all over him.

His supporting cast is a collection of decent WCC players. They have size. They have some quick guards. They have shooters. I can't understand how that team can take Gonzaga and Arizona to the final possession of regulation and lose to so many average teams.

bartruff1
01-01-2016, 06:50 AM
I loved the game, I thought it was a terrific win and a important one. Both teams played well and Josh was outstanding...

It is difficult to win on the road.

I would take another one just like it in the City.

RenoZag
01-01-2016, 07:59 AM
. . . how did our #1 league nemesis and rival (St. Marys) do when they visited Santa Clara?

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Evan Fitzner had 21 points with 4-of-5 3-point shooting on Wednesday night and Saint Mary's beat Santa Clara 81-59 for its fourth straight win and first road victory of the season.

Dane Pineau had 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Gaels (10-1, 2-0 West Coast Conference). Calvin Hermanson added 11 points and Jock Landale scored 10.

The Gaels, who have traveled less than 100 miles this season, lost their other away game 63-59 to California on Dec. 12.

Saint Mary's made 11 of its first 12 shots in the second half to extend a four-point halftime lead to 62-47 with 10 minutes left. The Gaels cruised from there, shooting 68 percent in the half and 63 percent for the game.

Jared Brownridge scored 15 points for the Broncos (4-10, 0-2), who dropped their third straight. KJ Feagin added 13 points and Matt Hauser 10.

The Gaels outrebounded them by 10, shot 63% from the field, racked up 22 assists. . .they wiped the floor with them in a game that saw a total of 27 fouls called.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400830251

Zagceo
01-01-2016, 08:56 AM
2 HUGE strides for Few as an in-game strategist that I hadn't seen before.

1. A dedication to fouling when up by 3. He had been wishy-washy on it before (according to my recollection).

2. Missing the free throw intentionally when leading by 1 in the closing seconds. Santa Clara was going to shoot a 3 pointer anyway. Didn't matter whether Zags were up 1 or 2. Get that clock running sooner. Absolutely correct.

Last year in post game interview Few was talking about Gary Bell's leadership on the floor, I think it was after the Pepperdine game in Malibu, he said Bell was like having another coach on the floor.

I think Wesley was at the foul line and could put us up by 3 with seconds left and Bell was over at the bench asking Few if he wanted a foul on the next possession and Few said "I didn't even think of it"……… so I agree nice to have a strategy.

Outraged
01-01-2016, 09:38 AM
I have to agree with the last minute coaching it's nice to see some last minute craftiness.

hooter73
01-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Anyone have a replay?

hondo
01-01-2016, 10:30 AM
The game replay is listed on Root TV this afternoon at 4 PM.

sonuvazag
01-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Anyone have a replay?
Have you tried Thew.tv?

Reborn
01-01-2016, 10:40 AM
I think Meehan's article says it all. Playing @ Santa Clara has always been tough for the Zags. I know I forgot that. Playing @ San Francisco has also been tough; so I expect another tough game tomorrow. It's always been that way. We fans need to remember that. I have always not looked forward to going into the Bay Area, and if the Zags get two victories I will be very very happy. I love basketball, and I love this team. They are unpredictable, but like other Zag teams they get 'er done.

bballbeachbum
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
I loved the game, I thought it was a terrific win and a important one. Both teams played well and Josh was outstanding...

It is difficult to win on the road.

I would take another one just like it in the City.

absolutely, having witnessed live many of the Bay Area games over the years. and agree with Reborn that it was a great game. I never expect easy games in the Bay Area so am always satisfied with a W, and with this team dealing with the loss of a contributor it really cannot replace, that W felt good last night

thought the biggest basket was the dribble finish at the rim to start the 2nd half by JP, set the tone and he went off, played well defensively too seemed to me

Zag zone changed speeds in the second half but also gave up some things like the weakside glass, but it did change tempo. when they got out of it Melson battled Brownridge down the stretch pretty well I thought, tough assignment after Brownridge had already gotten loose in the first half when Few subbed off some of his starting backcourt. Emac, JP, KD all took turns battling Brownridge, and Alberts started the second half burning hard in deny defense that didn't let SCU get what they wanted to start the second half. anyway, Brownridge is a super fun player, he and JP put on a show, and Emac and Feagan partied as well

Domas took a knock that looked like it didn't tickle, KW hopefully is OK

would think something will have to give with the minutes; only 5 for Edwards, 11 for Alberts, and a ton for a few others with but 8 players in the rotation, something to watch Few and the staff work out game to game

super bummed for Karno

Reborn
01-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Great post bballbeachbum. Kind of sums it up for me, accept I'd give Kyle Wiltjer more credit than you. I thought he played a really good game, especially since Sabonis struggled. Wiltjer had 3 good moves and baskets taken away from him. Some think he's not doing as well the 2nd half. He scored 20 on the Road and the Zags needed every point. His free throw shooting is so good. I love to see him at the line. And his rebounding this year is really good. He is trying harder on D, and says a lot to me. He's not a good defensive player but he is trying and he gets his share of blocked shots. I believe he's inspirational to the rest of the team. He is SOOOOOO confident. I love that about him.

hooter73
01-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Have you tried Thew.tv?

Good call, forgot about the W. Been spoiled by UZIZ!

hooter73
01-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Dang, theW only lets you watch a minute or two before it shuts down for insider access.

sonuvazag
01-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Dang, theW only lets you watch a minute or two before it shuts down for insider access.
That sux. I haven't had any restrictions when trying to catch the games live, fwiw.