PDA

View Full Version : "what the hack were they..."

SteeleMan
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
we've all read the quote by coach few that the boys have been suspended because they were out past midnight the eve of a game...

My question is... how many games does this infraction (alone, without the arrest, without the drugs) bring?

Surely there have been others under Coach Few who have missed "curfew."

If so, had they been suspended indefinately?

When will the school and the team change their sound bites to "reinstated" or "out for the remainder of the season" or "out of the program, forever"?

Are they waiting for the D.A.'s report on Tuesday?

Calipari was quoted as saying he hopes that JH is reinstated for the game Saturday. Hopes that the thing is cleared up and the kids are cleared to get back on the team. He, i'm assuming, has read about the events, yet he "hopes" that JH can play??? What does his quote say about the reactions from the GU program and the Spokane community? What does it say about Calipari and his program to think that a kid should be allowed back into the fold in such a short amount of time?

A lot of questions here, I know. And I really don't have any answers or opinions on it. I do think it is an interesting topic (still) especially when an outside perspective is brought into the mix.

Any thoughts out there?

gozagswoohoo
02-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Wait...so...is there even a remote chance Josh COULD play tomorrow?

tobizag
02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
wouldn't count on it

SteeleMan
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Wait...so...is there even a remote chance Josh COULD play tomorrow?

highly, highly doubt it. this was a quote from Calipari.

ZagPants
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
In my professional opinion you should read through the other 50 threads on this issue and then wait with everyone else for the final results without meaningless speculation. LOLOMGBRBFWIWIMHO.

SteeleMan
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
ILOLOMGBRBFWIWIMHO.

go ahead and read through them if you like, and find me where the "indefinately" suspension for curfew violation has been discussed in a manner where I proposed looking at it from a highly acclaimed coach as Calipari.

Thanks. Appreciate it!

ZagPants
02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
go ahead and read through them if you like, and find me where the "indefinately" suspension for curfew violation has been discussed in a manner where I proposed looking at it from a highly acclaimed coach as Calipari.

Thanks. Appreciate it!

No

SteeleMan
02-16-2007, 09:10 PM
No

LOL! Good enough.

Go Zags!

kylasdad
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
To my knowledge, Coach Few has never stated the exact offenses they made in breaking team rules. I have heard him say, in the news, that he hasn't gotten past the fact that they were out late, doing suspect things, in a place they shouldn't have been the night before one of their biggest games of the year. To my knowledge he hasn't said he suspended them strictly for a curfew violation.

Edited to add Fews quote from the Memphis-Gonzaga preview:

Not likely, said Few, who based the suspensions on violation of team policy, rather than the ###ential criminal issues.

"They're suspended indefinitely because they violated the internal code of our program's essence, which is, 'What in the heck were you doing out late at night in the wrong place at the wrong time the night before a game?'" Few said. "And I still haven't moved past that."

bulldogshawn
02-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I believe that a curfew violation typically has been not starting the next game, or something along those lines. Definitely not a suspension of any sort.

And Calipari is hoping JH can play only so that we don't have the excuse of "we weren't at full strength" or whatever...

Rangerzag
02-17-2007, 04:04 AM
And Calipari is hoping JH can play only so that we don't have the excuse of "we weren't at full strength" or whatever...

And heaven forbid that the Zags play at less than full strength, particularly without Josh, and still win! I can easily see where Calipari would not want that.

thickman1
02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm sure Josh and Theo know what their status is regarding their return date, etc. So does the team. It's just the fans that don't know - and quite frankly don't need to know. We support the name on the uniform and whoever happens to be in those uni's at gametime. Sure i'd like to see Josh play but not at the expense of GU's reputation.

wazZag
02-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Not to rip on Calipari too badly but he is more, eh, "accustomed" to this sort of thing and doesn't have to deal with the scrutiny Few does. He probably has an entire sentencing chart full of aggravating and mitigating factors for his players and their conduct. It's also self-serving declaration on his part: If JH plays, their (presumptive) win looks slightly better and any effect on GU doesn't matter.

Zag79
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
josh and theo could return this season, heck even now and it wouldnt tarnish the GU reputation.

youreachiteach
02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Calapari is a classic....lol

gamagin
02-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't see either returning this season.

However, if there were to be one over the other, I would guess theo might become eligible sooner. Josh's charges include a felony. However, Theo's may be looking at deportation back to Canada, depending on his green card or student visa terms & conditions.

but to the charges, I don't think there is time to clear up enough to allow them back even if few was inclined. curfew -- team & coach rules and findings review, followed by judgement. drug charges -- law enforcement and school investigations, charges, findings (court and school committees) and sentencing/punishment (law and school) yet to be determined. All during WCC final 3 and possible post season prep. No way.

I doubt Few is even willing, much less prepared, to deal with the hubbub around these two. Too disruptive.

Who needs the hassle with the season winding down and the league & postseason playoffs in the balance ?

JH wasn't famous for concentrating through a whole game in the first place. Why assume he suddenly can come into full focus with all the added hassles he has rained down on himself, the team and the school?

What makes anyone think a player, even JH, can cause all this trouble, miss 2-3-4 weeks and 3-4-5 games of play and step back into the lineup without all that residual fallout and no damage ?

Finally, I LOVE this team just the way it is. I suspect the coach and team feel the same way right now. And that is the kind of attitude we need to advance, imo.

roxdoc
02-21-2007, 12:01 PM
No way for Josh being back this year. A question if he ever will be back.