PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game: Santa Clara - 12.31.15

RenoZag
12-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Just another trip to the Leavy Center. . .holy smokes, what a game by Perkins and what a nailbiter. . .as Hondo wrote the other day, we've seen this script before

Posting a poll seems unnecessary, but if the POG wasn't JP, who was ?

Best wishes to all for a safe and sane New Year's eve !

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=111544&a=1

Ekrub
12-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Didn't watch the game but please give me the satisfaction if voting for him

whatazag
Perkins obviously.

Terrific game, though. Both teams played well, happy to come away with the win.

kclubfounder
No need for a poll today. JP was AWESOME!!!!!

seacatfan
Perkins by a mile. Can't really see an argument for anyone else (Zags would've been blown out in the first 15 minutes after half time if not for JP), but maybe someone else can?

Kiddwell
12-31-2015, 03:16 PM
We've got our point guard. He's got it figured out. :cheers:

SunDevilGolfZag
12-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Perkins all the way. Pretty well played game by both teams. Refs not up to par with the players. They were horrible. No consistency and lots of pathetic calls

sittingon50
12-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Josh. Perkins. Comes. Of. Age.

CdAZagFan
12-31-2015, 03:19 PM
No need for poll today. Perkins is really rounding into form. Ugly game, but good win. Hope Wiltjer is okay...

ZagNative
12-31-2015, 03:23 PM
We owe that win to Josh Perkins, plain and simple.

uZiGiZaG
12-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Perkins no doubt, but I can't comprehend how he can't shoot Free Throws. Man. Brutal to watch. Almost want to give it to someone else simply b/c Perkins tries so hard to give the game away with his Free Throws.

Other than that, he's improved drastically. I've never had a problem with his game, even early on as he struggled, I was still content with his play and attitude. I never once had any doubts about this kid. I just hate a PG that can't make FT's, especially in the clutch.

Guess thats what happens when we have consistently had 4 years of great PG's who rarely miss FT's.

ProVeeZag
12-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Josh Perkins ... tremendous effort and execution today. Found a new gear today, taking it to the rack and finishing! It's a win (lower-case "w", but still a "w").

hooter73
12-31-2015, 03:28 PM
On my phone... can someone link espn stats that's got minutes played and bench players included? Thanks!

adoptedzag
12-31-2015, 03:29 PM
The giant swinging man-oysters that it takes to intentionally miss that free throw at the end of the game and secure your own rebound to kill time! It was a thing of beauty.

adoptedzag
12-31-2015, 03:30 PM
On my phone... can someone link espn stats that's got minutes played and bench players included? Thanks!

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400830252

ProVeeZag
12-31-2015, 03:34 PM
The giant swinging man-oysters that it takes to intentionally miss that free throw at the end of the game and secure your own rebound to kill time! It was a thing of beauty.

Agreed ... 8 foot "swing-span"!

Final4Zag
12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
PERKINS, WOW!!!

nish_mode
12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Perkins for me. But I have to give props to Melson for his defense in the second half. He seemed to keep Brownridge at bay for a long stretch in the middle of the second half.

DixieZag
12-31-2015, 03:43 PM

I am not trying to opine one way or another, b/c I don't know, but are we sure that it was an intentional miss, or did he just realize as it left his fingers it was short and got ready to bolt the lane the second it hit the rim?

I ask b/c I am not sure that intentionally missing is a goo play, b/c a 2 pointer (or a foul) can then beat you, not tie, (though it may be a great play b/c they can't set up, I don't know). IF he didn't intend to miss it, but felt it "short" and just had the awareness to get down the lane faster than the others, that's just as impressive IMO

ZagMan in Philly
12-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Perkins!!!
http://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Perkins-Gonzaga-hold-off-Santa-Clara-79-77-6730940.php

Outraged
12-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Nice to see such improvement.if you're going to miss miss with purpose. A point guard has to be crafty.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Perkins!!!
http://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Perkins-Gonzaga-hold-off-Santa-Clara-79-77-6730940.php

Phil, you have a password for the SF Chronicle? ��. Happy NY!

JAGzag
12-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Any thoughts on why KW seems to disappear in the second half?

Mantua
12-31-2015, 04:00 PM
PERKINS, WOW!!!

Yeah!

Reborn
12-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Glad to see that so far everyone has voted for Perkins. Wiltjer and EMAC also played very well, and Melson did a really good job guarding Brownridge....

Mantua
12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Perkins all the way. Pretty well played game by both teams. Refs not up to par with the players. They were horrible. No consistency and lots of pathetic calls

So...it's not just me?

kclubfounder
12-31-2015, 04:11 PM
I am not trying to opine one way or another, b/c I don't know, but are we sure that it was an intentional miss, or did he just realize as it left his fingers it was short and got ready to bolt the lane the second it hit the rim?

I ask b/c I am not sure that intentionally missing is a goo play, b/c a 2 pointer (or a foul) can then beat you, not tie, (though it may be a great play b/c they can't set up, I don't know). IF he didn't intend to miss it, but felt it "short" and just had the awareness to get down the lane faster than the others, that's just as impressive IMO

It was absolutely positively an intentional miss. No doubt about it. NONE. And it was the smart play.

But, because he has been so terrible at free throws I can understand the question. Still, it was definitely intentional.

Reborn
12-31-2015, 04:12 PM

Honestly, I was hoping he'd miss intentionally because it's way easier to get a good shot in the last few seconds of a game from an inbounds pass. Whereas it is much harder to get a good pass down court from a missed FT, imo.

ZagMan in Philly
12-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Phil, you have a password for the SF Chronicle? ��. Happy NY!

Happy New Year Jazz!!!
Didn't know you need a password.
The link has a good picture of Josh.

Reborn
12-31-2015, 04:15 PM

I didn't think he disappeared really. He lost his touch from the outside that's for sure, but he still made some really good points. I think two things happened in the second half. Obviously, Santa Clara couldn't stop Perkins. He went off in the second half, and GU did the right thing to go to him most of the time. Second, the Zags were really trying hard to get Sabonis going, and he just couldn't do it. He got called for two offensive fouls down low. and they were pretty bad calls. Wiltjer is MONEY at the line and proved it again today.

TravelinZag
12-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Perkins led, they followed and pitched in. Not the same star every game, just the same team with the same will to win, and the ability to adjust.

Go Zags!

Birddog
12-31-2015, 04:41 PM
Perkins, the haircut does wonders. Just ask the ladies, a new "do" can really change things for the better.

hooter73
12-31-2015, 04:47 PM

Pure and utter boredom :confused:

zagbeliever
12-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Perkins has really turned the corner with his game!

WallaWallaZag
12-31-2015, 05:42 PM

don't really need to worry about a regular 2 point basket beating you when there is only 2.5 seconds left...by the time a team grabs the free-throw rebound and starts towards the other end there won't be enough time to get anything off except a long three, so doesn't matter if you are up by 1 or 2 anyways.

Zagger
01-01-2016, 04:19 AM
Perky!
Sabonis looked tired. Didn't help that he was called for at least 2 bogus fouls.
We sure coulda used MtK there - miss the big guy!

jazzdelmar
01-01-2016, 04:36 AM
Pure and utter boredom :confused:

Hate to agree, but you may be right. He's been to the mountaintop once and last year he got about halfway back. As much as anyone, he knows this team still needs a lotta work.

bartruff1
01-01-2016, 06:13 AM
I love the way he starts games....I think he played 39 minutes and without Shem and with Sabonls in foul trouble, he played great.

His foul shooting is a weapon at the end of the game especially..

jazzdelmar
01-01-2016, 06:17 AM
I love the way he starts games....I think he played 39 minutes and without Shem and with Sabonls in foul trouble, he played great.

His foul shooting is a weapon at the end of the game especially..

Pangoesque. K is shooting 92 percent from the line and DS is at 84 percent. Troubling, Josh at 50 something.

TacomaZAG
01-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Pangoesque. K is shooting 92 percent from the line and DS is at 84 percent. Troubling, Josh at 50 something.

Good call Jazz............

I heard on the broadcast last night near the end of the game that our two best FT shooters on the floor were KW and DS. I have never heard it announced that any teams two best FT shooters were their bigs!!!! HUGE props to those two, but, come on guards............step it up at the stripe.

On another note more to this thread, JP has really turned the corner the last 5 games, like a different guy out there. Much more under control, much more in control of the offense. Great to see.........

No fur ball on Saturday.

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
01-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Good call Jazz............

I heard on the broadcast last night near the end of the game that our two best FT shooters on the floor were KW and DS. I have never heard it announced that any teams two best FT shooters were their bigs!!!! HUGE props to those two, but, come on guards............step it up at the stripe.

On another note more to this thread, JP has really turned the corner the last 5 games, like a different guy out there. Much more under control, much more in control of the offense. Great to see.........

No fur ball on Saturday.

Go ZAGS

KD at 54 and Mac at 60 something. Not a great end of the game scenario. Especially when our aces out of bounds passer has frequent brain locks and passes to someone other than KW and DS. Like last night, geez.

TacomaZAG
01-01-2016, 07:04 AM
KD at 54 and Mac at 60 something. Not a great end of the game scenario. Especially when our aces out of bounds passer has frequent brain locks and passes to someone other than KW and DS. Like last night, geez.

I know...............throw it to the corner so Melson can get trapped, sheesh..............

Maybe clear it out and let DS or KW bring it up the court (kidding, kind of.....). That would be fun to see, 6'-11" or 6'-10" dribbling it up the court at crunch time.

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
01-01-2016, 07:25 AM
I know...............throw it to the corner so Melson can get trapped, sheesh..............

Maybe clear it out and let DS or KW bring it up the court (kidding, kind of.....). That would be fun to see, 6'-11" or 6'-10" dribbling it up the court at crunch time.

Go ZAGS

Both have the ability to hold the ball up high, away from the snapping turtles. As DS did yesterday in a key play at the end.

webspinnre
01-01-2016, 08:00 AM
don't really need to worry about a regular 2 point basket beating you when there is only 2.5 seconds left...by the time a team grabs the free-throw rebound and starts towards the other end there won't be enough time to get anything off except a long three, so doesn't matter if you are up by 1 or 2 anyways.

Exactly. And a bouncing rebound makes it far more difficult to get the ball moving in the right direction quickly, limiting the ability to get a good shot, while also giving the chance to get the rebound yourself, as Josh did.

bartruff1
01-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Tell that to Digger Phelps...

bballbeachbum
01-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Josh Perkins. glad the Zags got the W to context his performance

maynard g krebs
01-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Perkins will be about a 75% foul shooter in crunch time going forward. Some people pissed and moaned about his overall play early; others said be patient and he'll be great in time. Same applies to his ft shooting; he'll be at least passable there going forward, though not Raivio or Pangos. And he'll surpass those guys in other areas. He's getting more comfortable game by game, and that will show.

If memory serves, he's made 8 of his last 11 threes over 3 games. The shooting stroke is good; it's just comfort and confidence at the line. No need to rush to judgment on this.