PDA

View Full Version : Not quite ready for prime time,

former1dog
12-21-2015, 10:15 PM
But Ryan Edwards is making progress. Nice stat line tonight with 6 points, 4 boards and a block in 13 minutes.

I hope he he continues to progress and can give the team 20 minutes a game. Wilter and Sabonis are really going to need him to help preserve their seasons.

WallaWallaZag
12-21-2015, 10:25 PM
he still appears to be thinking his way through the game a bit...with his size and skill, he needs to just get the ball and go up with it...no bringing the ball down where he can get it knocked away or tied up. same thing happens on his rebounds...

ZagsGoZags
12-22-2015, 01:16 AM
He still has a bit of the look of a boy playing,
but with his skill set, and coachability,
he will develop into the look of a man playing, like Karno does, and I
want to around to watch that transition.
I think he may have a high ceiling yet.

Birddog
12-22-2015, 04:47 AM
JMO, but I think Edwards has fewer bad habits and more offensive skills than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage of their careers. If he gets a little better on defense and grows a Grizzly Adams beard, he will be a force.

GoZags
12-22-2015, 05:13 AM
JMO, but I think Edwards has fewer bad habits and more offensive skills than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage of their careers. If he gets a little better on defense and grows a Grizzly Adams beard, he will be a force.

They guys sitting next to me at the Tennessee game thought a few tats would do some good vis a vis his "look". They felt he looks like too nice a guy.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2015, 05:30 AM
They guys sitting next to me at the Tennessee game thought a few tats would do some good vis a vis his "look". They felt he looks like too nice a guy.

IMO, no tats, no piercings make Ryan a rebel in today's world. Cornrows would shake everybody up, don't you think? lol

TravelinZag
12-22-2015, 05:58 AM
Like the guards, Edwards will have the opportunity to improve skills and confidence during the conference games. A sweep is far less important than continued effort and team play. Do it again Wednesday, and reflect on it during the holidays. Use these games as tune-ups for the trip to SMU. That game will show how far you have come, and what still needs work.

Usually, the WCC games fail to prepare the Zags for the NCAA tournament. This year, they are mostly scrimages that are necessary to help them improve as a team. If they can do that without becoming complacent, we're still in for a ride in March. No one would have thought that possible without Karno. And who knows, by March Karno could . . .

TexasZagFan
12-22-2015, 06:14 AM
Like the guards, Edwards will have the opportunity to improve skills and confidence during the conference games. A sweep is far less important than continued effort and team play. Do it again Wednesday, and reflect on it during the holidays. Use these games as tune-ups for the trip to SMU. That game will show how far you have come, and what still needs work.

Usually, the WCC games fail to prepare the Zags for the NCAA tournament. This year, they are mostly scrimages that are necessary to help them improve as a team. If they can do that without becoming complacent, we're still in for a ride in March. No one would have thought that possible without Karno. And who knows, by March Karno could . . .

I'd like to see more blowouts, if only to get the bench more minutes. Sure, KW's and DS's stats may suffer, but we're going to need our bench in March.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
12-22-2015, 06:29 AM
I second the comments about how much better Edwards is as second year player than Karno.

I remember thinking about Karno, "This guy can barely even chew gum and walk at the same time, let alone play basketball." He was BRUTAL in his first two years. And lo and behold, he turned himself into an NBA prospect.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-22-2015, 06:34 AM
IMO, no tats, no piercings make Ryan a rebel in today's world. Cornrows would shake everybody up, don't you think? lol

No tats but a Birdman mohawk dyed various colors throughout the season. Ryan Edwards, 7'1"...7'5" w the 'hawk.

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2015, 06:34 AM
If there is one blessing in this whole Karno nightmare it is the minutes and more importantly the confidence that Edwards is getting. He said in an interview that he was unsure he could play with the "big guys" like Zona, UCLA, UCONN, etc. But his takeaway from those game was that he could hang with the best of them.

He is a work in progress... but major progress has been made.

No tats... but lose the clean cut haircut. Go mowhawk or spiked... That'll make him look tougher.

ETA... LMAO.. Flex and I posted same idea at the same time.

Outraged
12-22-2015, 06:40 AM
Edwards is very efficient in his motion. He does not waste a lot of movement. He provides a solid big man presence. And he can develop more with an upside their for the taking.

Karno was always great and always will be great.

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Edwards is very efficient in his motion. He does not waste a lot of movement. He provides a solid big man presence. And he can develop more with an upside their for the taking.

Karno was always great and always will be great.

So in the last 2 seasons we have seem 3s from both Karno and Sabonis... pressure is on Edwards now. :D

TexasZagFan
12-22-2015, 06:57 AM
No tats but a Birdman mohawk dyed various colors throughout the season. Ryan Edwards, 7'1"...7'5" w the 'hawk.

Sounds good to me.

Birddog
12-22-2015, 06:57 AM
So in the last 2 seasons we have seem 3s from both Karno and Sabonis... pressure is on Edwards now. :D

He's trying, he made an attempt a couple games back didn't he?

ZagMan in Philly
12-22-2015, 07:01 AM
He needs to throw one down with Force.
Like his Free Throw form.

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2015, 07:54 AM
He's trying, he made an attempt a couple games back didn't he?

Yes he did. Think Perkins should shift his bet to Edwards instead. Sabonis already collected on the 3.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 08:00 AM
We've gotta be the only fan board in the country that starts a thread about the 8th man on the team after an almost 30 point victory. Gotta love our passion. But I hope the expectations for him are realistic, he's the 8th man for a reason, plus we have several bigs coming in next season. If he ends his senior season as a 10/6 guy, I think his career would be a success.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 08:02 AM
He needs to throw one down with Force.
Like his Free Throw form.

Can he dunk?

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2015, 08:05 AM
We've gotta be the only fan board in the country that starts a thread about the 8th man on the team and how he's not progressing as rapidly as we'd like after an almost 30 point victory. . People, he's the 8th man on the team for a reason, give the kid a break.

Ummm did you really read the thread? I don't think anyone has said anything close to that.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 08:22 AM
OK, I will edit it.
Ummm did you really read the thread? I don't think anyone has said anything close to that.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Fixed

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Fixed

Agree with your assessment on the edit. I don't think anyone here expects him to be Shem or Sabonis. But if he could progress to a 9 or 10 and 4-6 boards it'd be more than welcome. He has shown that he is highly coachable.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Thought this was going to be about Odell Beckham at first...

Edwards-

He's getting better. Not easy when your first two games that you're expected to log quality minutes are against AZ and UCLA. He's still slow with his moves but improving.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Agree with your assessment on the edit. I don't think anyone here expects him to be Shem or Sabonis. But if he could progress to a 9 or 10 and 4-6 boards it'd be more than welcome. He has shown that he is highly coachable.

Just the transformation in his body shows that the kid is a hard worker and coachable. He's a great role player, which every team needs.

jyboc
12-22-2015, 10:31 AM
We've gotta be the only fan board in the country that starts a thread about the 8th man on the team after an almost 30 point victory. Gotta love our passion. But I hope the expectations for him are realistic, he's the 8th man for a reason, plus we have several bigs coming in next season. If he ends his senior season as a 10/6 guy, I think his career would be a success.

Well we only have 8 players on scholarship playing, so what are you saying? Would you like SM or KD giving Sabonis or Wiltjer a break? I'm confused as to when you would like Edwards to come in?

DixieZag
12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't think Tats, or haircuts, or anything should be the way to go. Somehow, someone needs to arrange for him to get run over or take an elbow to the gut early on in the game and just get him mad. He has all the skills, it's whether he's comfortable with his body and level of aggression. I see him as an "almost as skilled big man as Karno" - he's just not as aggressive - yet.

But, there've been times when something angered him and a he took it to another level, blocking shots and rebounding. If we can just get his dander up early each game, watch out.

Just as an aside, he might have the prettiest, softest, form on his FT as anyone on the team. A huge plus, especially late in games.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't think Tats, or haircuts, or anything should be the way to go. Somehow, someone needs to arrange for him to get run over or take an elbow to the gut early on in the game and just get him mad. He has all the skills, it's whether he's comfortable with his body and level of aggression. I see him as an "almost as skilled big man as Karno" - he's just not as aggressive - yet.

But, there've been times when something angered him and a he took it to another level, blocking shots and rebounding. If we can just get his dander up early each game, watch out.

Just as an aside, he might have the prettiest, softest, form on his FT as anyone on the team. A huge plus, especially late in games.

If I read you correctly, Ryan's monster game of the year should come against BYU. For an historical perspective, feel free to google "Kent Lockhart fight BYU". I had a great view from the 18th row behind the basket. It was one of the greatest games I've ever attended. My ears were ringing for an hour after the game.

IOW, Cougs have been dirty players for decades.

Zagricultural
12-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Where Karno is head and shoulders better is defense. That is where we miss him the most!

vandalzag
12-22-2015, 11:08 AM

I think what we are seeing with him is that he is still a work in progress. Capable of short periods of productivity but not ready to go full time. But he keeps improving and will be ready to step in next year. What we are seeing is how completely off base people were by saying that Edwards could step in for Karno and we would not miss a beat (this started 2 years ago during Edwards freshman year).

229SintoZag
12-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Am I the only guy who read this thread title and thought for sure it was a reference to Heister being asked to step up for an ESPN broadcast?

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 11:28 AM
my point was, very few fan boards create threads about the 8th man on the team. We're a passionate fan base.
Well we only have 8 players on scholarship playing, so what are you saying? Would you like SM or KD giving Sabonis or Wiltjer a break? I'm confused as to when you would like Edwards to come in?

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Don't get me started on him. I cringe every time he says Brian ELberts instead of Alberts.
Am I the only guy who read this thread title and thought for sure it was a reference to Heister being asked to step up for an ESPN broadcast?

sittingon50
12-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Maybe he could borrow a scary mouthguard from SMC!

SunDevilGolfZag
12-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Edwards' free throw shooting is a big plus and may well be a difference maker in a close game.

Ezag
12-23-2015, 09:26 AM

http://s8.postimg.org/uqseba4ed/edwards_T.png

Goshzagit
12-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Edwards' free throw shooting is a big plus and may well be a difference maker in a close game.

Such a luxury to have Sabonis, Wiltj, & Edwards shoot FT's so well.

Problem is...We need to get them to the line!

Zags rank 285th in FT attempts.

Should improve in Conference play.

maynard g krebs
12-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I second the comments about how much better Edwards is as second year player than Karno.

I remember thinking about Karno, "This guy can barely even chew gum and walk at the same time, let alone play basketball." He was BRUTAL in his first two years. And lo and behold, he turned himself into an NBA prospect.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Karno was an immediate contributor and second year starter, and Edwards isn't yet ready in his third year. That's just an insulting and stupid post, and not close to reality. Karnowski was an international star being recruited by big time programs, and with pro offers.

Coach Crazy
12-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Karno was an immediate contributor and second year starter, and Edwards isn't yet ready in his third year. That's just an insulting and stupid post, and not close to reality. Karnowski was an international star being recruited by big time programs, and with pro offers.

Yeah. Maybe people were watching a guy with the last name of Karno at their local YMCA, or something? One of my first impressions of Shem was that he had very good awareness for a freshman and was attentive to how he moved in space on defense, for a kid his size.

RenoZag
12-23-2015, 08:29 PM
he still appears to be thinking his way through the game a bit...with his size and skill, he needs to just get the ball and go up with it...no bringing the ball down where he can get it knocked away or tied up. same thing happens on his rebounds...

He does have that tendency. . .happened again tonight vs. LMU. Sacre had that tendency early on and he overcame it.

Edwards is a work in progress. Not sure his red shirt year did much for his game

bartruff1
12-23-2015, 08:54 PM
I think what you see what you are going to get....nice guy, will have a good career as a role player off the bench ....may go on to play overseas.......and make a lot of money...and that is fine..

U Zig, I Zag
12-23-2015, 11:09 PM
I like Edwards.

Needs to lose some weight. Get quicker. Needs way stronger hands.