Zags competing against pro clubs - not colleges - for top international recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zags competing against pro clubs - not colleges - for top international recruits

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

Interesting article. I don't think the juco transfers count as international recruits though. They are already here in the US. That would take Batista, Kuso and Landri Edi out of the equation. Also I think there is more competition with other colleges for some of these players than the article indicates. Didn't Duke and California make a late hard push for Karnowski? I don't remember details about Sabonis, hard to believe he wouldn't have been on anyone else's radar. I know there were several other schools after Larsen.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
      I don't remember details about Sabonis, hard to believe he wouldn't have been on anyone else's radar.
      Oregon, for one, was recruiting Sabonis. There was a fair amount of talk about him on their board before he committed to the Zags, with the Portland connection. More than makes up for Moser et al, doesn't it?

Comment

• bballbeachbum
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        Interesting article. I don't think the juco transfers count as international recruits though. They are already here in the US. That would take Batista, Kuso and Landri Edi out of the equation. Also I think there is more competition with other colleges for some of these players than the article indicates. Didn't Duke and California make a late hard push for Karnowski? I don't remember details about Sabonis, hard to believe he wouldn't have been on anyone else's radar. I know there were several other schools after Larsen.
        my memory is that the Duke push came late after seeing him in some game, maybe it was an all star game of internationals vs. USA kids? I can't remember, somebody here will tho probably

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I don't know when Duke saw him, but they wanted him to visit. Kansas and Ohio State also showed some interest in Karno as well.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

here's a link about Duke being late to the recruiting game from April 2012 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...polish-big-man . Cal was also in the running but Tommy had his thing with with Karno before them all if I'm not mistaken

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

here we go, from the SSF http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012...i-became-a-zag

good story for some pre game reading. man I miss the big guy out there

Comment

• beaverzag
                Bulldog Fan
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                Oregon, for one, was recruiting Sabonis. There was a fair amount of talk about him on their board before he committed to the Zags, with the Portland connection. More than makes up for Moser et al, doesn't it?
                oregon sucks

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by beaverzag View Post
                  oregon sucks
                  Thanks for that valuable contribution. Really elevates the discussion.

Comment

• Ekrub
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2009

There was a nice long article on the sabonis' a while back, and his recruitment more or less stopped right after Tommy asked him. They told everybody else that if he decided to play anywhere, it was going to be at gonzaga

Comment

Working...
                    X