PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - St. Martin's - 12.14.2015

RenoZag
12-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Zags pick up a needed morale booster shot with an easy win against a D-2 squad. Nice effort by Alberts. Sabonis & Wiltjer looked rock solid. Melson looked good on defense (3 steals) but continues his struggles from the field.

Which performance made the best case for the player of the game in your view ??

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=109394&a=1

SWZag
12-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Alberts, easily. But again, appreciated McClellan's game. He's getting closer to having it together and attacks the boards, loose balls, etc. But Alberts tonight showed he's ready to fill a void that is there.

Goshzagit
12-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Perkins quietly had 8 assists to 1 TO. Nice!

Sabonis was great yet given the opponent, expected to dominate…and did.

It was Alberts who came out in his 1st career start…and performed. Made shots we desperately needed. Now shooting nearly 70% from 3pt on the season.

McCllelan continues to show better decision making and ability.

Birddog
12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
The fashionable pick is Alberts and I almost went that way but in the end I voted for Sabonis, Wiltjer and Alberts tied for 2nd in a close contest. Dranginis, EMac , and Perkins played well too.

Marcus
12-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Alberts on his first career start giving this team what it desperately needs, a threat from 3. All around good game from him too, I would hope he gets the start next game as a reward. Keep it up!

EMac runner up. He's getting better each game at picking his spots and seems to understand what Few wants out of the sets. And he finally put one down on the break, it was great to see.

bartruff1
12-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Sabonis

TravelinZag
12-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Leads Zag's in 3-point pct., trails only KW in total 3-point shots made, and in equivalent minutes of about six games, has ZERO turnovers! Not ignoring great performances from DS and KW, good support from Draginis and McClellan, or improved play by Perkins, but Alberts' response to his first start deserves a second!o

CdAZagFan
12-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Because it was his first start - and he had a great response to it - had to go with Alberts. Sabonis, overall, had a great game though. Good to see Melson hit a few shots also...

GrizZAG
12-14-2015, 08:03 PM
These GU Unit vote polls have a peculiarity to them in a way. The players that play their game as expected like a Pangos (last yr), Wiltjer etc., we kind of take for granted a bit and tend to go with the player that has their breakout moment. This in spite of them not necessarily being the top scorer, defensive player or other measurements. Tonight is a good example in that Sabonis and Wiltjer had great games but we expect that from them while Alberts had a great breakout performance all-round we all wanted to see so badly. I went with Alberts because I am excited about his great night but also know who our bread and butter guys are too. Seems everybody had some nice moments in this game. Just don't want GU unit vote to slight the others in any way for a great night.

Sarenyon
12-14-2015, 08:54 PM
2005-2006 Ammo was not a candidate for G-Unit, because 90% of the time he was it by default. A lot of people like to see others rise to the occasion and match the greatness that is already present on the team. (that's a positive spin on it.)

Reborn
12-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Great game by Alberts and he certainly deserved to be voted by us as POG. Dranginis also played much better. That too was good to see.

gozagswoohoo
12-15-2015, 06:47 AM
I went with Alberts. It would be HUGE for this team if we could start getting these types of games from him on a consistent basis.

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2015, 07:06 AM
The fashionable pick is Alberts and I almost went that way but in the end I voted for Sabonis, Wiltjer and Alberts tied for 2nd in a close contest. Dranginis, EMac , and Perkins played well too.

Color me fashionable then. :D Going with Alberts.

https://codedmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/blue-steel.jpg

Jstock12
12-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm really surprised by the improvement Domas is making shooting from the free-throw line. Just 2-3 years ago he was a 50-55% FT shooter, and this season he's 24/28 (85.7%). Pretty remarkable :)

ZagsGoZags
12-15-2015, 01:35 PM
I went with Alberts,
there is no doubt in my mind that when he is completely open like Monninghoff, even Bol Kong, and to some extent Gary Bell, he can stroke the threes all day.
What I worry about with Alberts is if the opponent puts someone on him who sticks to him. On the perimeter Kyle W can (and sometimes does) step back and shoot over his defender, this is not as much of an option for Alberts.
I often wonder why these types of shooters don't fake a shot, then go up into the fouling arms of the defender to take free throws. Is this because of the risk of injury?

Zagger
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Went with Alberts too. Good to see him start and good to see him respond well & make shots. Next up I'd love to see as GUnit is Melson. I certainly feel that sooner or later he will be.
Kudos to many other Zags last night as well. Zag D is impressive - some rough edges on missed covers but - D is going to make a BIG difference as this season goes on. If the Zags can get TOs under control .... it's going to be darn hard for any WCC team to beat them - even without Mt. K. With Mt. K ....... boy, I sure hope he heals up perfect - no matter how long it takes.

Once and Future Zag
12-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Alberts - just didn't force anything.

I think he's just earned a leap over Melson in the rotation.

RenoZag
12-15-2015, 05:11 PM
A Bol Kong mention ? That's as close as he ever got to a player of the game thread. . .

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-15-2015, 05:22 PM
A Bol Kong mention ? That's as close as he ever got to a player of the game thread. . .

Does anybody remember being more excited about Bol Kong, the recruit, than we were about the other guys in his class that included Elias Harris, Sam Dower, Kelly Olynyk, and David Stockton?

Yeah, me neither.

ZagsGoZags
12-15-2015, 08:44 PM
in one of his first games, maybe THE first, he made 3 or 4 three's in a row
there was some excitement on the board about him that evening

WallaWallaZag
12-15-2015, 09:16 PM
in one of his first games, maybe THE first, he made 3 or 4 three's in a row
there was some excitement on the board about him that evening

i seem to have some recollection of that game...i think zags were behind and he almost single-handedly kept them in the game and it was crazy because he had zero lift on his jump shot but because of his length and release he could get his shot off against anyone.