PDA

View Full Version : Polls 12-14-15 USA still ranked

flytiezag
12-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Guess maybe they factor in Karno #21 ranked UCLA #26 go figure.Also we have no losses to bad teams. Ap #26 http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls

gonstu
12-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Yes, 2 disappointing home losses but I agree with this ranking and am not too surprised. It's not like we're getting blown out by bad teams. Should we have won both of those games? Probably. But I still say top-25 team.

Now, lose this week and we deservedly drop out and are looking like a march bubble team. But that's not gonna happen. 8-3 heading into conference play is not that bad and I think still gives a little cushion for a few (3?) losses in conference. a 24-6 record going into the WCC tournament should be good enough to get in I would think.

There will be some close games in conference and it won't be easy, but I'm thinking 3 losses. HAVE to run the table at home though.

hockeyzag
12-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Or maybe that poll has a few voters who don't pay attention. They don't rank UCLA at all.

AP is always more in tune with what's going on during the season.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Yes, 2 disappointing home losses but I agree with this ranking and am not too surprised. It's not like we're getting blown out by bad teams. Should we have won both of those games? Probably. But I still say top-25 team.

Now, lose this week and we deservedly drop out and are looking like a march bubble team. But that's not gonna happen. 8-3 heading into conference play is not that bad and I think still gives a little cushion for a few (3?) losses in conference. a 24-6 record going into the WCC tournament should be good enough to get in I would think.

There will be some close games in conference and it won't be easy, but I'm thinking 3 losses. HAVE to run the table at home though.

If we lose 3 WCC games, we are in hot water. No big wins and a couple bad losses would have us hoping for a play-in IMO.

gonstu
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
If we lose 3 WCC games, we are in hot water. No big wins and a couple bad losses would have us hoping for a play-in IMO.

I hope we lose less than 3 so that we don't have to find out who is right!

MDABE80
12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
We lose 3 WCC games, we still will be 25-6. We'll be in. Not to worry about that. Seriously the doom and gloom i surprising. Perhaps spoiled by the 3 loss seasons that past few years. NO,, this is like it was before the KO's last season with us.
5-6 losses with an inexperienced back court and loss of your BIG center is an amazingly good outcome. We'll
have to live like before. Game by game...........some grinders and some just devlopment games. Evolution of this team is a fun thing to watch.
It's alway the game...........not the wins . Wins just make the game sweeter.

Zagger
12-14-2015, 12:21 PM
We lose 3 WCC games, we still will be 25-6. We'll be in. Not to worry about that. Seriously the doom and gloom i surprising. Perhaps spoiled by the 3 loss seasons that past few years. NO,, this is like it was before the KO's last season with us.
5-6 losses with an inexperienced back court and loss of your BIG center is an amazingly good outcome. We'll
have to live like before. Game by game...........some grinders and some just devlopment games. Evolution of this team is a fun thing to watch.
It's alway the game...........not the wins . Wins just make the game sweeter.

Yep, becoming my feelings as well. Going to the game this evening. I really hope to see all Zags getting court time tonight + improved Zag ball handling and shooting. A solid win tonight should boost Zag confidence and help set the stage for good play against Tennessee on Saturday - Go Zags!

CDC84
12-14-2015, 12:24 PM
The result of disinterested SID's filling out the form. The coaches poll is useless......

75Zag
12-14-2015, 12:32 PM
One of the many reasons I like NCAA BB instead of football is because by the end of the college season basketball polls are largely worthless. Having said that, I have to wonder whether the GU athletic department has some naughty pictures they used to blackmail the USA/ESPN voters this week, as there is no way in "heck" that GU deserves to be in the top 25 right now.
Hopefully by March we will be cheering GU on to victory in the NCAAs and all this will be pointless chatter.

Go Bulldogs!

Reborn
12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Well...UCLA DID beat Kentucky at home and the polls didnt really punish them. It would be two-faced if they punished GU. I also think they take into account that PK is out, and the losses to Arizona and now UCLA were only by a few points.

If you take a look at where UCONN and Texas A#M are I feel Gonzaga is ranked where they should be.

whatazag
12-16-2015, 11:56 AM
We start off the BPI ranked 40th:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

Projected as an at large 10 seed with StMary's getting the autobid and 6 seed.

Obviously 1/4 of the season so doesn't mean a lot, but kind of interesting.

gonstu
12-16-2015, 12:09 PM
We start off the BPI ranked 40th:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

Projected as an at large 10 seed with StMary's getting the autobid and 6 seed.

Obviously 1/4 of the season so doesn't mean a lot, but kind of interesting.

Good = 7 opponents in top 50 (SMC x2)

Not so good = 4-3 is BEST case scenario, and that would require beating Vols and sweeping SMC.

Currently 1-3 against top 50. Not the kinds of numbers you want next to your name on Selection Sunday.

Go Zags.

DixieZag
12-16-2015, 12:38 PM

Not so good = 4-3 is BEST case scenario, and that would require beating Vols and sweeping SMC.

Currently 1-3 against top 50. Not the kinds of numbers you want next to your name on Selection Sunday.

Go Zags.

Good breakdown, thx

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Go Zags.

Exactly ...not to mention the distinct possibility of not sweeping SMC and adding a really bad loss or two vs some middling to lowly WCC team that plays the game of their lives vs Zags in their teeny gym. Zags are much closer to being a nerve-racking bubble team on selection Sunday then many here seem willing or able to admit, which is why I think it's already more likely to be a 'win WCC tourney to Dance' year than not.

whatazag
12-16-2015, 01:30 PM
While on the topic of how we'll do against top 50 teams. The real thing the committee uses for that metric is record vs RPI top 50. Here's what rpiforecast has.

Conference: WCC
Expected RPI: 39.5
Current RPI: 67
Expected SOS: 105
Current SOS: 43
Current Record: 6-3
Expected Record: 22-7
Current Conf Record: 0-0
Expected Conf Record: 15-3
Expected Record vs RPI 1-25: 1-2
Expected Record vs RPI 26-50: 2-2
Expected Record vs RPI 51-100: 2-1
Expected Record vs RPI 101-200: 5-1
Expected Record vs RPI 200+: 12-1
Current OOC Record: 6-3
Expected OOC Record: 7-4
Expected OOC RPI: 44
Expected OOC SOS: 8

This assume we keep playing the way we have so far and everyone else does as well. I think most of us think we could play much better, but that's not a guarantee. This is the profile of a bubble team that would probably not be a lock, but would probably make it with the GU name next to it.

gonstu
12-16-2015, 01:54 PM
While on the topic of how we'll do against top 50 teams. The real thing the committee uses for that metric is record vs RPI top 50. Here's what rpiforecast has.

Conference: WCC
Expected RPI: 39.5
Current RPI: 67
Expected SOS: 105
Current SOS: 43
Current Record: 6-3
Expected Record: 22-7
Current Conf Record: 0-0
Expected Conf Record: 15-3
Expected Record vs RPI 1-25: 1-2
Expected Record vs RPI 26-50: 2-2
Expected Record vs RPI 51-100: 2-1
Expected Record vs RPI 101-200: 5-1
Expected Record vs RPI 200+: 12-1
Current OOC Record: 6-3
Expected OOC Record: 7-4
Expected OOC RPI: 44
Expected OOC SOS: 8

This assume we keep playing the way we have so far and everyone else does as well. I think most of us think we could play much better, but that's not a guarantee. This is the profile of a bubble team that would probably not be a lock, but would probably make it with the GU name next to it.

looks like an 8 seed to me

MTZag03
12-16-2015, 04:38 PM
looks like an 8 seed to me

Lol. Yep. 8 seeds are so so so much worse than a 10. Hopefully the good OOC SOS would keep the committee from "complimenting" the Zags with an 8 seed if this is how things shake out this year.

I'll just be happy if we make the tourney though.

raise the zag
12-16-2015, 07:39 PM

This.

Honestly, at this point hoping for a 10 seed or worse. IF karno magically or miraculously returns this season (doesn't look good) then we could be a low-seeded force. Unlike any have seen in some time....a 1-4 seed's biggest nightmare! I like the thought of it...

Actually, with our young guards gaining confidence/chemistry and a small chance Karnowski returns, I welcome the low seed this season.

Anything but 8 or 9 seed.

SteelZag
12-16-2015, 09:08 PM
I going to have to rate the Zags about the same as Jay Bilas does with his top 68 teams in his latest Insider column. Whereas I can't really fathom where or when Bilas would ever have the Zags favored over Duke, the does have some knowledge of hoops and was lucky enough to call the Arizona-Zag game. He seems to have more confidence than many on this board. He knows exactly, at least in his opinion why Gonzaga lost to UA and the potential the team has. I am under the impression that this ranking is of how the teams fare at this point.

If he is ready to cut some slack to some west coast teams I gotta jump on board also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23. Gonzaga Bulldogs
Contrary to popular belief, all is not lost for the Zags, even with a couple of high-profile losses. Gonzaga is still trying to figure out roles and rotations, and it's doing so without injured Przemek Karnowski in the lineup. Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis have been excellent, but the Gonzaga guards have got to take better care of the ball. Gonzaga's defense cannot defend against a turnover. The Zags are turning the ball over on one of five possessions, and their free throw rate is among the lowest in the nation.

gonstu
12-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Lol. Yep. 8 seeds are so so so much worse than a 10. Hopefully the good OOC SOS would keep the committee from "complimenting" the Zags with an 8 seed if this is how things shake out this year.

That's my attitude right now - interesting what a few losses will do, way different expectations than at start of year. Still, as others have pointed out elsewhere 3 losses to good teams by combined 11 points. Even without Karno, in the menu of college b-ball, zags are not chopped liver. If it was an 8-seed, I bet there would be a pissed off 9 and 1 seed about that draw. Go Zags.